Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Spoeank posted:

Koo got himself at least 5 more years in the league with the like 3 successful onside kicks in one game last year

Is he just lucky is there actually a skill to onside kicks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Pre-snap scheming. A TE can block or catch, a 4th WR can't really. If you have 4 WRs on the field, the defense knows pretty much what's coming and can adjust for it.

I think the assumption that more blockers = better blocking isn't necessarily correct though, and at least at the CFB level isn't really how everyone operates. If you're at significant risk of losing the gap that the TE is creating in the run game, why bother with it? Like the basic math of gaps created vs. the number of box defenders doesn't really change. You've got one more gap than defenders in the box(before a safety comes into the box, 2-gap, etc.) either way.

You cut down on the number of run concepts and pass protection schemes you can run, but you're also cutting down on what the defense can do against it.

Eifert Posting posted:

How many established quarterbacks have the line and the skill right now to make 4 reads?

Yeah but you've got five eligible receivers on the field no matter what your personnel package is, and six man protection schemes w/ a runningback are most commonly what teams are running in 2020 anyway.

Like the run and shoot was big long fad in the 90's with 4 WR + back as an every-down deal was completely viable.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 23, 2020

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

everytime Koo gets into the field owns because his name is a homophone for "butthole" in portuguese and the announcers get all giggly

it's me, I'm the 8-year-old

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Skwirl posted:

Since you can't stack sides anymore there's a bit more skill to it now in a "hit it where they aren't" slap hitter in baseball deal

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Theres definitely some skill but that Saints game was that perfect combo of skill and luck. And yeah just to see how angry Payton got after the 3rd one would be worth signing him long term.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Koo loving sucks

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Yeah but you've got five eligible receivers on the field no matter what your personnel package is, and six man protection schemes w/ a runningback are most commonly what teams are running in 2020 anyway.

Like the run and shoot was big long fad in the 90's with 4 WR + back as an every-down deal was completely viable.

Viable, but flawed, which is why the pure Run & Shoot with 4 WR and literally no tight ends on the roster faded away with only a handful of teams heavily using it (And their track records were... uninspiring). A ton of the concepts of it are still around, particularly a lot of what you see in spread concepts with option routes and whatnot. It works as a good package, just like jumbo/goal line and 2 TE and whatnot, and I'd agree teams should try going to 4 WR sets more often than they currently do (I think Atlanta did it a good bit during part of their Super Bowl run season), but I think most teams like the idea of their #1 TE being on the field more than their #4 WR.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Running off to kiss them titties

https://twitter.com/adamjahns/status/1296490915851370499?s=20

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Skwirl posted:

Kicking at the Saints is the skill, I think.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Skwirl posted:

I think there is skill now that the onside kick rules changed. Soo's amazing performance last year was all about hitting the ball so it skipped immediately & bounced high, allowing his team to run under it and get into position.

a neat cape posted:

Koo loving sucks

:lmao:

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
So who got lit up in the film room?

I say 52

https://i.imgur.com/oi4Va2M.gifv

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chromatic posted:

So who got lit up in the film room?

I say 52

https://i.imgur.com/oi4Va2M.gifv

Perryman for stopping, Derwin for not making the initial tackle

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

93 and I want to say that's 33 who both hit him at the same time but fail spectacularly.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
43 has a fair amount of anti-effort going on there too.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

43 has a fair amount of anti-effort going on there too.

That's michael davis who just got replaced with Chris Harris Jr.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

93 and I want to say that's 33 who both hit him at the same time but fail spectacularly.

Justin Jones, a rotational DT, and Derwin James

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Who can name the only player in the Super Bowl era with:

550+ receptions
250* punt returns
1+ interceptions

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

It's Edleman isn't it

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I was gonna say Randy Moss but he didn't have 250 punt returns did he?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

It's Edleman isn't it

Close. Well kinda close.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Ah, Welker is an almost, but I don't think he has an interception.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Troy Brown?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Tom Tucker posted:

Who can name the only player in the Super Bowl era with:

550+ receptions
250* punt returns
1+ interceptions

Its Devin Hester isn't it?

Ah no he doesn't have an Int, he has a Forced Fumble though.

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 23, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

nerve posted:

I was gonna say Randy Moss but he didn't have 250 punt returns did he?

Nah, just shy of 220

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Symphoric posted:

Troy Brown?

Seems so.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

fartknocker posted:

Viable, but flawed, which is why the pure Run & Shoot with 4 WR and literally no tight ends on the roster faded away with only a handful of teams heavily using it (And their track records were... uninspiring). A ton of the concepts of it are still around, particularly a lot of what you see in spread concepts with option routes and whatnot. It works as a good package, just like jumbo/goal line and 2 TE and whatnot, and I'd agree teams should try going to 4 WR sets more often than they currently do (I think Atlanta did it a good bit during part of their Super Bowl run season), but I think most teams like the idea of their #1 TE being on the field more than their #4 WR.

Yeah I don't think it should be an entire offense, but there sure seems like there should be a lot more of it than there is in the NFL. The thing that supposedly killed the run and shoot was the advent of the zone blitz loving with predictable six man protection schemes, but that's like 100% got to be solved at this point given where college and the NFL are in terms of packages and the passing game, and where the zone blitz is.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1297530842676449280?s=19

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

This is Fine.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1297549200775958531

lol

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

It's finally time for DeShon Elliot and Geno Stone to run the show, bitches

:smith:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Jeez, Earl. He just can't dial it down. Hope he can keep it together mentally on his next team.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Didn't see that coming!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Dallas taking in another defender that likes to punch people? That would be a huuuge surprise.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

CyberPingu posted:

Dallas taking in another defender that likes to punch people? That would be a huuuge surprise.

Some of those punches are top notch, though!

https://youtu.be/BkENSTceN3E

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

So he’s probably already in Dallas right

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/1297536804913111040

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

So he’s probably already in Dallas right

He was actively angling for Dallas when he was leaving Seattle wasn't he?

I mean for what he'll be able to pull pay-wise here and for what Jerry will give him it seems like it's be stunning if he ended up anywhere else.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Makes you realize how fragile this entire operation is

https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1297557365844324352?s=21

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Am I :tinfoil: for not believing this false positive spin coming from teams?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Am I :tinfoil: for not believing this false positive spin coming from teams?

Maybe, maybe not. I can't imagine they'd bring in players they knew were positive, just on a liability basis alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Move the practice back a couple of hours, that'll stop the virus!