Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Generally speaking you don't really fail at what you set out to do in Warframe. It's more about doing it as quickly as possible, as stylishly, or with the dumbest meme option that shouldn't really work, depending on your tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Unless what you set out to do is "finish building nidus/harrow"

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the dumbest meme option that shouldn't really work

This appeals to me very much. Thank you.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

resting bort face posted:

This appeals to me very much. Thank you.

Seek out the Zarr and the Concealed Explosives mod. The two aren't related, except via explosions. :torgue:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

resting bort face posted:

Man, I really want to like this game, but it seems like mashing melee just trivializes 95% of the game.

...And?

Warframe is vaguely balanced around you, the player, being a goddamn superhero and breaking the world over your knee.

Even the dumbest meme options are hilarious and effective.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

dragonshardz posted:

...And?

Warframe is vaguely balanced around you, the player, being a goddamn superhero and breaking the world over your knee.

Even the dumbest meme options are hilarious and effective.

i mean 'this game isn't really compelling mechanically at the start' isn't really an unfair take for a new player

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if it was remotely fair then you couldn't murder hundreds of dudes during every mission.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

flatluigi posted:

i mean 'this game isn't really compelling mechanically at the start' isn't really an unfair take for a new player

yeah but usually it's because in the early game you aren't a superpowered god yet

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah but usually it's because in the early game you aren't a superpowered god yet

if they can add lore for specters, they can finally have a pass at Mod Lore 2.0

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Unless what you set out to do is "finish building nidus/harrow"

I got frustrated farming those frames and then one day my boss asked if anyone wanted an hour of overtime, I said yes, and used a fraction of the extra money to buy platinum and purchased the frames. That hour of overtime took less time than farming, and I still had a little cash after.

This is a dangerous approach though, and before you know it you're a pay-to-win whale.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

It's a vanity thing. You can polarize without changing polarity. (Or to blank a slot)

I've definitely seen a youtube vid about 666 rolling rivens for the same reason

I kind of wish they took out the penalty for sticking wrong-polarity mods into slots and let people polarize a slot with multiple polarities. It wouldn't actually increase your peak power in any single situation, but it would let people experiment with builds a bit more (and it'd make people want even more forma which makes DE money).

So then you could have the 40 forma Warframe and 32 forma weapon, for those people who really, really want the maximum possible flexibility out of a Warframe.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
at that point it would be easier to just get a second copy of the frame.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I will never understand why people think Harrow is a hard farm, the only really annoying bit is the low drop rate on Defections, but honestly defections are super easy once you know what to do. And Kuva Spy missions are also cake if you take in Loki.

And both of those are also farms for other frames too. Defections spawn Maniacs for Ash Parts, and Pagos can get you Ivara's bits as well.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Anora posted:

I will never understand why people think Harrow is a hard farm, the only really annoying bit is the low drop rate on Defections, but honestly defections are super easy once you know what to do. And Kuva Spy missions are also cake if you take in Loki.

And both of those are also farms for other frames too. Defections spawn Maniacs for Ash Parts, and Pagos can get you Ivara's bits as well.

Even with an optimized farming team you're looking at something like 3h of watching kavur shuffle along. It's mind numbing.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
So, Shy has taken her shitposting to a whole new level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VowBp0AYA48

Definitely worth two minutes out of my life. I'm actually impressed.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
she is an S tier shitposter
:perfect:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Anora posted:

nobody thinks harrow is a hard farm. harrow is a long farm. i had to farm for systems for over 4 hours.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ossipago posted:

I got frustrated farming those frames and then one day my boss asked if anyone wanted an hour of overtime, I said yes, and used a fraction of the extra money to buy platinum and purchased the frames. That hour of overtime took less time than farming, and I still had a little cash after.

This is a dangerous approach though, and before you know it you're a pay-to-win whale.

For years now I've been telling myself I'll throw 20-40 bucks DE's way as soon as I get the opportunity. I've played this game a lot and wanna support them!
But the way the random plat discounts work, it feels like I'm scamming myself if I don't wait for a 75% off coupon, and those practically never happen. So I've just been sitting on my money.

I might buy some tennogen skins instead of buying plat though. The latest Nova looks really nice...

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I'm sure DE has done way more thinking about this than I have, but I wonder if the extra money they make from "oh hey, a coupon" impulse buys outweighs the money they lose from people waiting for a coupon. I could see it go either way TBH.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
What I really want to see is a dlc pack for 15-30 dollars that just gives you infinite slots and potatoes and 0 plat. The kind of things I really wanna buy in f2p games are things that let you ignore the microtransaction stuff and pretend it doesn't exist.

Like the unlock-all-characters packs in Hirez's games, Smite and Paladins, where instead of grinding in game or paying real money to unlock each new character you just pay 30 bucks and get all present and future ones forever. They're free to play games but buying that pack feels like "buying the game".

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A neck like a cat interested in what you're doing in the kitchen.

Before they jump on the table at least.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SIGSEGV posted:

A neck like a cat interested in what you're doing in the kitchen.

Before they jump on the table at least.

Wukong's staff isn't the only as-you-will buddha treasure, iykwim :wiggle:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I love my chunky dadframe

D- dadframe??

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

For years now I've been telling myself I'll throw 20-40 bucks DE's way as soon as I get the opportunity. I've played this game a lot and wanna support them!
But the way the random plat discounts work, it feels like I'm scamming myself if I don't wait for a 75% off coupon, and those practically never happen. So I've just been sitting on my money.

I might buy some tennogen skins instead of buying plat though. The latest Nova looks really nice...

I tend to spend a little when it's 50% but then will throw a bit more on 75. The 50s are rare enough it feels worth it IMO.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Flipswitch posted:

I tend to spend a little when it's 50% but then will throw a bit more on 75. The 50s are rare enough it feels worth it IMO.

If you're considering a token purchase of support already, Just as a reminder the origin and empyrean packs are going away shortly with the deimos release.

there's one thats a scarf and 200 plat for 5$. I'm not sure how much of a discount that is compared to regular pricing, but its also 5$ to skip a grind or get a bunch of forma packs.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Inzombiac posted:

I love my chunky dadframe

D- dadframe??

Not gonna lie I've been tempted to buy Wisp Agile and stick it on Vauban.

TheParadigm posted:

If you're considering a token purchase of support already, Just as a reminder the origin and empyrean packs are going away shortly with the deimos release.

there's one thats a scarf and 200 plat for 5$. I'm not sure how much of a discount that is compared to regular pricing, but its also 5$ to skip a grind or get a bunch of forma packs.

I did some quick math and bought three different bundle packs because it was more cost-effective than just straight plat buys and buying what the pack gives afterward. Plus some of them offer unique capes. E: It was the Origin, Empyrean, and Starter packs.

Also there's going ot be a pack releasing with Deimos that includes Nidus, that's tempting.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 24, 2020

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah I'll probably buy the upcoming Initiate pack and immediately throw that free Nidus into the maw. I only got one room for one gooey boi in this Arse.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Dareon posted:

Also there's going ot be a pack releasing with Deimos that includes Nidus, that's tempting.

Definitely eyeing that. I've never done the Infested Salvage grind for Nidus and I don't ever plan to.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TheParadigm posted:

Prime access packs are like 1000 plat for 50 bucks, so that's sort of like a 50% discount? Or in other words it's still twice as expensive as waiting for a 75% off... You do get a cape at least.

The $30 empyrean pack that just comes with 570 plat and an armor set (plus avatar and emote and sigil) seems really not worth it.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I'm sure DE has done way more thinking about this than I have, but I wonder if the extra money they make from "oh hey, a coupon" impulse buys outweighs the money they lose from people waiting for a coupon. I could see it go either way TBH.

Same but the arsenal ui, I can't believe the newbie impulse buys are worth leaving that eyesore in the game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Let me sort my arsenal by "potato / no potato" while you're at it

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I was tempted to get the pack for the pennant but the only thing I actually liked was the pistol skin so I skipped it. The deimos packs look better.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
You can buy the pistol skin seperately.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Prime access packs are like 1000 plat for 50 bucks, so that's sort of like a 50% discount? Or in other words it's still twice as expensive as waiting for a 75% off... You do get a cape at least.

The $30 empyrean pack that just comes with 570 plat and an armor set (plus avatar and emote and sigil) seems really not worth it.

You're not wrong, I'm having trouble fitting the armor to any of my frames (Everyone is too curved, the angles on the armor clash). But even if it was just the plat it would be decent, since you get 200 more for the ten bucks on top of a normal 370-for-20.

e: Like it is absolutely worse than waiting for a 75% off plat coupon, but it at least fits into the normal progression of pricing tiers.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 24, 2020

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

From my own observations, the 75% off one is extremely rare unless there's a trigger condition.
If you already had plat and you've spent a chunk, it seems to pop up.
If you haven't played in a while then log in, it seems to pop up.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I've logged in for >450 days and I think I might have seen the 75% coupon once, in 2013. I had a fair amount of platinum when I came back in March 2019, which is why I think that, but I definitely haven't seen one in the time since I came back.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i forget, does de ever drop patch notes early for stuff like the big updates? we might have a chance at something today, if so.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I've logged in for >450 days and I think I might have seen the 75% coupon once, in 2013. I had a fair amount of platinum when I came back in March 2019, which is why I think that, but I definitely haven't seen one in the time since I came back.

Discounts are also determined by what country you live in.

"Poor" countries see discounts more often. I guess you could use a VPN to try and cheese this but I don't know if your region is a permanent tag in your profile or if it checks/updates every 24 hours.

Cheesing the system would be pretty scummy, especially if you're doing okay financially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
This weeks livestream drops are posted, streams at normal times (I'd give 50/50 odds Tuesdays is cancelled though)

Watch for 30 Minutes to Receive This Week’s Twitch Drops:

Monday: Built Forma
Tuesday - Thursday: The Heart of Deimos TennoGen Prex Cards campaign!