Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Spoondick posted:

i read something maybe last year about climate change models showing pretty much all of californias forests getting burnt down over the next 50 years because of elevated heat and droughts

Fallout 1 & 2 were a documentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Zeno-25 posted:

Derechos usually happen like once every year or two in that region of the midwest, there's really no excuse for ppl there to not be aware of that phenomena. I spent most of my life in Northern IL ffs

Also they are an entirely distinct atmospheric phenomena from a tropical cyclone and you gotta draw the line somewhere. What's next, renaming microbursts? Make the corn hicks learn a Spanish word imo

I remember watching one while I was at NIU

some poor bastard had everything blown out of their pockets and were down to only their pants when someone foolishly went out to help them. suffered the same fate, but pantsless

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Xaris posted:

there are still like some NY subway stations that didnt reopen after Hurricane Sandy and still lasting damage. i think one of the last ones finally did like last year, 7 years later, in the second richest state in the country lmao

this is basically how it's going to go, and probably not just US but especially so. death by thousands of paper cuts. a town floods, we gawk for a week and then move on as it dies out, maybe arizona becomes unhabitable megadrought wasteland, it gets forgotten, maybe lots of florida get wrecked, just leave it, fires burn down multiple cities in californoa oh well just leave it.
yep. every disaster gets less and less resources available to help the area recover. oh and the disasters are getting more frequent and stronger

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Epic High Five posted:

these two will be interesting because it will be an inverse of the norm where people ignore the Liddl' Marco hurricane because Marco Rubio is so meek and pathetic, but are terrified of the Laura Loomer one because she is a nightmare creature from the hell dimension. Florida never fails to provide!

Marco studied the blade (of Chang).

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In the 2012 Derecho, 1.6 million in MD lost power, ~1 million each in both Ohio and Virginia, 672k in WV, and ~68,000 in DC (which was ~10% of the city's inhabitants, during a 100F+ heat wave). Winds barely broke 90mph, though.

Again, they need to start calling them "Inland Hurricanes" to get people's attention.

That storm greeted me to DC. I came down that weekend from NYC to scout out apartments since I was starting a job in the fall. My bus got in at about 10pm and nobody at Union Station seemed to have any idea something was on the way.

I remember the night looking like typical DC summertime, kind of hazy and still. Thought I'd check Metro to see how far away the train was, since it'd be nice to stretch my legs and walk to where I was staying if the train would be too long. It was a 15 minute wait so I went back up the escalator.

I've never seen anything like it in my life, it was this low boiling black cloud out of nowhere that flowed over the city like a volcano cloud. A wall of wind smacked into the station and blew a bunch of trash cans away, everyone booked it down into the Metro station. I was picking dirt out of my teeth half an hour later. By the time I got off the train it was strobing lightning and heavy rain. Welcome to DC! I can only imagine what 140 mph would be like.

As you said, the next two days were triple digits and humid. Definitely didn't help my apartment search, I could barely walk a mile in that weather. I wonder how many old people without power that killed.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
lorba forecasted to be be cat2 by landfall https://twitter.com/wx_danielle/status/1297477740069871616

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh, I'm not discounting the fact that this thing was a mid-grade EF3 a few hundred miles long. I'm just saying they might need to be renamed since I'm almost certain they'll become way more common.

muy derechos

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trying to fly in my virtual airline this weekend is going to be so hosed.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

Trying to fly in my virtual airline this weekend is going to be so hosed.

my very first thought in seeing the new flight sim is to do The Hump

i saw a streamer do the most mundane flight from LA to vegas and he was so thrilled and i was thrilled with him

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/DRBoguslaw/status/1297320033891254273?s=19

Cool!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This poo poo is loving hilarious to me because about a week ago my wife was talking about maybe moving out to California.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
it's easy. all you gotta do is make the convicts work anyway, regardless of the rona. hell, to make up for any loss in efficiency due to the plague, just draft up a bunch more prisoners. ez

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/b8tch_updates/status/1297293400064978944?s=20

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

How is there anything left to burn in California? Didn't the whole state burn down last year?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

don’t worry, california will drown next year like it did in 1862, thus providing lots of moisture to grow more fuel

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Luneshot posted:

Weather is spectacular and fascinating but remember that the pictures and videos don't really show the true extent of the damage; the people actually affected will be still be picking up the pieces long after you've forgotten about it.

It's been three years since hurricane Maria, but driving around Puerto Rico has been wild, both urban and rural. There are still so many places and things that were totally wrecked by Maria that are still the same. Just tons of destroyed, abandoned areas, houses, infrastructure, buildings, etc. You always see some big building with the roof just peeled back like a sardine can.

there are still thousands of houses with the infamous blue tarps, awaiting repairs or just resigned to live like that

Looking up things to do and hikes, I always have to remember to check for updates post-Maria. So many things closed down or were destroyed that there's a distinct pre VS post Maria timeline.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wildfire isn’t going to frontally assault major cities.

It is going to nibble around the edges and pick off some minor cities.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Platystemon posted:

after it loses its food source of minor cities it can only come after the large ones

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Third World Reagan posted:

after it loses its food source of minor cities it can only come after the large ones

Nah because by then the cities will have achieved herd immunity. :911:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Pretty much every major city in california has signifcant amounts of the city that are in areas extremely prone to wildfire.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Platystemon posted:

Is this really a statement you're confident in making in 2020?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

death crew has broken containment

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

https://twitter.com/alanauglis/status/1297276626397540353?s=20

Double Katrina

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is this really a statement you're confident in making in 2020?

My favorite (I actually hate it) is that everyone in cspam decided that negative meme magic is real and is intent on using their combined psychic force to make everything worse.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lawman 0 posted:

My favorite (I actually hate it) is that everyone in cspam decided that negative meme magic is real and is intent on using their combined psychic force to make everything worse.

We just watched two storms become two hurricanes become a Doublecane

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

the only thing left to really ramp this up at this point is for them to beef up to cat 3s in the gulf before they make landfall

i mean, why not?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trump could always nuke them.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

How is there anything left to burn in California? Didn't the whole state burn down last year?

lightning finds a way ~~

The state faces are more acute shortage of personnel than usual - the coronavirus pandemic has depleted a fire-fighting corps made up of prisoners, which has helped the state battle blazes since World War Two, due to early releases from jail.

:rip: trump country

Man Musk has issued a correction as of 15:09 on Aug 23, 2020

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
lmao Just burning down a few "minor" cities, no big deal

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld9C5y5cag4

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

we finally get to find out if hurricane categories are additive, multiplicative, or exponential

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
according to that japanese scientist, most likely subtractive

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

People still buy 700K plus home in the CA forest because "it's how I want my children raised" lol

I guess they just clear a lot of space around their home, have evacuation routes and think they are fine then?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

according to that japanese scientist, most likely subtractive

if they get too close, yes, but what about damage from the one-two punch?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if a hurricane loses energy when it crashes into another doesnt that mean all the water falls out of two storms at once onto new orleans?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

There's gonna be a lot of water falling on places that really don't need a bunch of water dumped on them, probably

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

actionjackson posted:

People still buy 700K plus home in the CA forest because "it's how I want my children raised" lol

I guess they just clear a lot of space around their home, have evacuation routes and think they are fine then?

the good news is that when everything burns down the forest does too, we had 4 pines, 2 cedars and 6 oaks on the lot... now we have 1 oak, only problem is nobody wants burnt timber in large quantities so there's millions of dead trees rotting where they stand... on the plus side we have full sunlight all day and we'll be making tons of solar energy to sell to pg&e for next to nothing

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Xaris posted:

there are still like some NY subway stations that didnt reopen after Hurricane Sandy and still lasting damage. i think one of the last ones finally did like last year, 7 years later, in the second richest state in the country lmao

Tl;DR: effortpost about the last big Hurricane Sandy subway tunnel repair

Yeah they just finished repairing one of the last tunnels. poo poo was crazy. The tunnel was essentially crumbling, but they couldn't just shut it down because hundreds of thousands of people used it to get to and from Manhattan every day. Shutting it down would send tens of thousands of riders to other subway lines, which would put them ridiculously over capacity - imagine waiting an hour to get into the subway every morning.

But the MTA said that shutting it down completely would mean they could finish repairs in one year, while doing nightly or weekend shutdowns would take three years, so ultimately the city decided on a full shutdown.

This caused real estate values along the line to drop, and less than one month after construction was meant to start Cuomo jumped in, halted it, and demanded an alternate plan. The shutdown had literally been discussed for 3 years and Cuomo didn't say a word until less than a month before it started.

I can't even express how much press this shutdown got for years. Everyone was talking about it. Personally, I joined Transportation Alternatives and helped start a group that helped people without a lot of bike experience figure out how to bike from Brooklyn to Manhattan. We ran group rides to help train people and get them comfortable, because we expected literally thousands of people to have no other option soon. A bunch of techie startups formed and created uber pool-like services just to deal with this specific tunnel shutdown. People moved to new neighborhoods. Some people left the city completely!

Ultimately they decided to do a nights and weekends partial shutdown, but also decided to speed it up by making it shittier. The wires and cables that send signals through the tunnel used to be housed in a protective concrete sheath, and this sheath was all crumbled due to salt water from Sandy. The original plan was to tear it all out and rebuild it. The new plan was to leave the crumbling wall there and cover it with strong netting so chunks don't fall out and derail trains. And instead of running cables through the protective concrete wall, they just stapled them to the tunnel wall.

So, repairs are "officially done," but none of the damage from Sandy has really been fixed, and if the tunnel floods again we are turbofucked.

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Aug 23, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

if a hurricane loses energy when it crashes into another doesnt that mean all the water falls out of two storms at once onto new orleans?

Right now New Orleans isn't in the predicted path of Laura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Right now New Orleans isn't in the predicted path of Laura

???

https://twitter.com/alanauglis/status/1297276626397540353