Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

3. First contact with a civilization that has just developed warp drive. However, when the crew makes contact, the people are not the least bit surprised to meet the Federation. As it turns out, an observation mission during the TOS era failed to follow the Prime Directive. Their culture is massively contaminated. They have rebuilt their society in the image of the TOS Federation, and are shocked by anything that has changed. The crew will have to deal with the diplomatic situation, try to learn about the pre-contamination culture, and also discover why the Prime Directive was violated in the first place.

I've always wondered about a civilization that made astronomical observations that indicated there was an advanced spacefaring civilization out there. Like "yeah we could detect your massive radio emissions, you've been blasting them out for the last 200 years and you're only 70 light years away."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So what happens to Single Female Lawyer?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Another TOS S3 episode down

Elaan of Troyius- Overall I would say it's a pretty good episode. You get a lot more galactic politics than TOS usually ever mentions. The TNG episode 'The Perfect Mate' clearly took a lot from this episode (it's almost identical). It also gave me vibes of 'Journey to Babel', where another power is trying to interfere in a Federation negotiation. The main issue is that the driving force of the episode is the relationship between Elaan and Kirk, and that is all over the place. For a good chunk of the episode he's supposed to be helping her to fit in on the new planet she's going to, but that kind of goes out the window when Kirk is exposed to her tears and can't keep himself off of her. I just felt like that plot took a seat in the second half of the episode to the Klingon attack plot. I do think it's a good performance by Shatner, but the story isn't tight enough to make this a classic. It's above average and probably among the better S3 episodes though.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV8LB6TuJaU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Owlbear Camus posted:

These are mostly hardcore Trekies, so they will be comfortable with me name checking the Vorta and the Corbomite Maneuver and will probably have a picture in mind if I just say the words "nebula class starship."

I'm looking for that kind of stuff, but also big-picture sci-fi and exploration of speculative fiction ideas ala The Motion Picture. One idea I had is pretty heady and I'm not even sure how the players would interact with it:

Something has started caging stars in the Alpha/Beta quadrants. I do a bunch of build up and poo poo but short version: A Kardashev 3 type civilization has put their consciousnesses in cold storage and has set up megastructure building drones to capture and store as much stellar energy as possible. This is becoming a problem because they simply ignore any life, even sapient and spacefaring in doing so, and are far too powerful to stop with phasers and photon torpedoes. Somehow the crew figures out how to bring a representative consciousness back online to talk to them and he tersely explains that in the final summation the only and most moral action is fighting entropy. They plan to use all the energy they harvest to solve the ultimate problem and "stabilize the universe" when the Big Crunch comes. They are not currently running all the simulations and poo poo because all the waste heat the computations will generate is better when everything is cooling down. The players have to convince them that critters in the here and now deserve a chance and they can't just do brutal utilitarianism with people's suns.

Maybe that's too *bong hit* "far out man" to work as a TTRPG session.

I always wanted a series that follows up specifically on the Dyson sphere in "Relics." That'd be a great place to start down this path, your Oberth is sent for a long-term mission and finds, well the possibilities are almost limitless with that much to explore. E.g. this is their original system and they moved on when the star became unstable, leaving this as energy collection station #1, but you could have any number of scenarios inside the thing before even tipping your hand on the larger reveal. Depending on how long term this is going to be.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I always wanted a series that follows up specifically on the Dyson sphere in "Relics."

Star Trek Online has a storyline that does this.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
There was a novel (like one of three Trek books I ever read) that did so as well, with an all-Horta crewed starship entering the Sphere to explore it, not worrying about how long it'll take because they live for a thousand years and also using their natural 'inside-out' subterranean lifeform instincts for the exploration.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

EimiYoshikawa posted:

There was a novel (like one of three Trek books I ever read) that did so as well, with an all-Horta crewed starship entering the Sphere to explore it, not worrying about how long it'll take because they live for a thousand years and also using their natural 'inside-out' subterranean lifeform instincts for the exploration.
They did some interesting stuff in Star Trek Online with it, including actually getting the visual appearance of the interior correct to what it actually would be. It's certainly weird to see water and clouds directly underneath your ships zooming around.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

I've always wondered about a civilization that made astronomical observations that indicated there was an advanced spacefaring civilization out there. Like "yeah we could detect your massive radio emissions, you've been blasting them out for the last 200 years and you're only 70 light years away."

Hmm, I wonder how visible to our current real world observation the Federation would be. They use subspace communication, they don't have structures larger than space docks, they warp from place to place faster than light.

Things like large matter/anti-matter explosions in war, the activation of the Genesis device, things like V'ger might be visible to a current civilization if they were looking in the correct direction at the correct time.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

LRADIKAL posted:

Hmm, I wonder how visible to our current real world observation the Federation would be. They use subspace communication, they don't have structures larger than space docks, they warp from place to place faster than light.

This is true. On the other hand, their capital is in Paris, their naval academy is in San Francisco, and their major shipyard is on Mars. So all that would probably be hard to keep hidden from people.

More seriously, though, those ships have got to have major energy expenditures.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 23, 2020

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
*A FEDERATION TYPE CIVILIZATION

They drop some numbers a bunch of time. However, most of the time they're simply radiation shielded fusion reactors. Warp seems pretty efficient, and I never hear them complaining about heat management!

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Who's to say that radio and TV aren't being used by some section of the population? People still like records. There could even be some kind of return-to-our-roots sect that thinks 20th century communications technology is a more pure and wholesome form of communication and entertainment than subspace and holodecks.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Radio communications blend into the background noise in a pretty small sphere. Maybe the Federation wouldn't want to pollute with radio waves?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I recall hearing that our air defense radars are just vomiting emissions out into space that anyone could spot from way out.

I don't see any reason that local air traffic control for Earth-based traffic to use anything more complicated than good old radio based sensors and they'd be just as powerful, if not more, than what we've got now.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Drone posted:

Jake is so much better than Wesley it's not even funny.
Jake was an actual kid, with a believable dad, and a believable best friend (who said dad thinks is a bad influence, which is way too real). And his character arc is about following his own path even if he dad would have preferred he went into star fleet.

Wesley was some vague prodigy type that every old man can't help but want to mentor. It was weird.

edit: wait I somehow skipped two pages.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 23, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

Things like large matter/anti-matter explosions in war, the activation of the Genesis device, things like V'ger might be visible to a current civilization if they were looking in the correct direction at the correct time.

Space Dock would be detected the same night it showed up, as would a starship in orbit. They are painted white. Not many large objects painted white floating around in the Earth-Moon system. Modern surveys run automatically and a simple program notifies astronomers when a candidate for a new object appears. There's a huge back log for such candidates but I suspect a 300 meter long object radiating like crazy would jump to the top of the list.

The current near object astronomy surveys are set up to detect rocks the color of raw iron that have been cold for 4 billion years. A starship adrift with nothing but life support is still 240 degrees hotter than an asteroid.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 23, 2020

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Epinephrine posted:

Who's to say that radio and TV aren't being used by some section of the population? People still like records. There could even be some kind of return-to-our-roots sect that thinks 20th century communications technology is a more pure and wholesome form of communication and entertainment than subspace and holodecks.

Couldn't hobbyists living a few hundred light years from earth watch and listen to broadcasts "live"? NBC's must-see Thursday night lineup could be a big deal all over again.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Apollo 12's third stage is 18 meters long and they found it in Earth orbit in 2002 so they could probably find a 200 meter starship.

It hadn't been orbiting Earth for 30 years; it must have been recaptured shortly before being located.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Couldn't hobbyists living a few hundred light years from earth watch and listen to broadcasts "live"? NBC's must-see Thursday night lineup could be a big deal all over again.

Technically yes, but the signals get weaker the further out they go. They’d need some pretty sensitive equipment to pick up fuzzy first runs of Community. :eng101:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I've heard our broadcasts get unintelligible but the signals from air defense radars would go out quite a ways, as would anything deliberately intended for signalling.

I imagine the Federation would probably try to take pains to disguise any installations they needed to build for reasons of space geography that were within the near occasion of a civilization-bearing planet. That said we have only fairly recently been able to detect exoplanets at all.

Subspace and warp drive would be pretty hard to guess. I remember the mcguffin for the novel Prime Directive's first act was that the planet they were arguing over had naturally occuring dilithium near the surface, which reacted with subspace signals and could have given away the presence of the feds.

What would be interesting additional RPG hook would be a civilization which was very well developed, perhaps even doing the Gundam colony thing in their planetary system, but had either not discovered the warp drive or had the invention suppressed or used in some weird way instead of being interstellar FTL.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

"Stardate 52846.4: our mission is to recover all the lost episodes of Doctor Who."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Nessus posted:

What would be interesting additional RPG hook would be a civilization which was very well developed, perhaps even doing the Gundam colony thing in their planetary system, but had either not discovered the warp drive or had the invention suppressed or used in some weird way instead of being interstellar FTL.

A civilization that has good enough instrumentation they are aware of stuff like the Dominion War and Borg incursions at least in terms of scale and destructiveness. Theoretically could develop extra-solar travel but took one look at all the planet destroyers and energy beings and warring empires and said "welp, galaxy's haunted by monsters, we have enough resources in our system to do just fine. It would be foolish for us to wade into those waters with our first draft vessels with everyone else having a head start of centuries and plenty of them out to do violence."

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Could tie it in with the Dyson Sphere from Relics - "Yep, we'll worry about the rest of the galaxy just as soon as we've finished our megaproject here."

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm going to do some classic "planet/forhead alien/moral quandry of the week," but what are some good plot hooks specifically for the setting in the timeline?

An incredibly dangerous planet (fungi want to eat your brain, everything's at 600°F, the entire continent is covered in angry spiders, whatever) inhabited by 'natives' who are actually the at-least-several-generations-since descendants of an original set of stranded colonists, who genetically re-engineered themselves to survive as all their technology broke down. They're basically off-brand Krogan now, with a natural lifespace and breeding rate that is literally existentially dangerous to other societies if they were to be removed from the dangers of the planet (have the computer voice do some scary-sounding extrapolations of expansion rate to really rub it in). As the crew pieces together the story from distress radio beacons still in orbit and from buried technology caches, they have to decide if the Prime Directive applies here, and what the heck to do about this situation if it doesn't.

Zurui posted:

Speaking of, I was thinking last night how great it is that Lower Decks would enable TNG/DS9/VOY characters to do voice cameos even though they've aged and then I got real sad because the one I want to see most went to the Great Cast Reunion in the Stars :smith:

I can only think of a mobile hospital ship staffed entirely by those outdated EMHs, all voiced by Robert Picardo talking over himself constantly.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 23, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

LRADIKAL posted:

and I never hear them complaining about heat management!

what do you think a coolant leak is

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Roadie posted:

I can only think of mobile hospital ship staffed entirely by those outdated EMHs, all voiced by Robert Picardo talking over himself constantly.

A Fistful of Picardos.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Roadie posted:

An incredibly dangerous planet (fungi want to eat your brain, everything's at 600°F, the entire continent is covered in angry spiders, whatever) inhabited by 'natives' who are actually the at-least-several-generations-since descendants of an original set of stranded colonists, who genetically re-engineered themselves to survive as all their technology broke down. They're basically off-brand Krogan now, with a natural lifespace and breeding rate that is literally existentially dangerous to other societies if they were to be removed from the dangers of the planet (have the computer voice do some scary-sounding extrapolations of expansion rate to really rub it in). As the crew pieces together the story from distress radio beacons still in orbit and from buried technology caches, they have to decide if the Prime Directive applies here, and what the heck to do about this situation if it doesn't.

Fertility rate anxiety feels wrong for Star Trek. Maybe have them be like cloning themselves in huge batches with an ideology that is like YES, FIFTY CLONES PER BATCH.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Nessus posted:

Fertility rate anxiety feels wrong for Star Trek.

Isn't this, in essence, a plot point in a TNG episode, maybe The Masterpiece Society? (going by hazy memory :shrug:)

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Nessus posted:

Fertility rate anxiety feels wrong for Star Trek.

The TOS Mark of Gideon is all about over population anxiety.
A world so overcrowded people just mill about and stare at each other.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ah, the Moties.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
When the Bough Breaks would be another

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

Isn't this, in essence, a plot point in a TNG episode, maybe The Masterpiece Society? (going by hazy memory :shrug:)

"When The Bough Breaks" has some alien race that can't have children anymore ala Children of Men, scans the Enterprise and the children aboard then transports them to the planet. Then they toss the Enterprise 4 days away or someshit and Wesley saves the day by convincing the other children to give them the silent treatment.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I've just recommended Past Tense Pts 1 & 2 to my non-Trekkie parents to watch as just a standalone story... I'm curious to see what they'll think of it.

If they really like it, there are a few other classic episodes I might get them to watch... I think Measure of a Man and The Offspring would probably go over well. Maybe throw in The Most Toys as well.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

thexerox123 posted:

I've just recommended Past Tense Pts 1 & 2 to my non-Trekkie parents to watch as just a standalone story... I'm curious to see what they'll think of it.

If they really like it, there are a few other classic episodes I might get them to watch... I think Measure of a Man and The Offspring would probably go over well. Maybe throw in The Most Toys as well.

Perhaps Relics and The Inner Light?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Cause and Effect and Parallels are pretty good in terms of telling sci-fi stories really well.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBI3WZNixe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mbqppsFTeU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z2Enq-na1U

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

haha this one's great

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

Perhaps Relics and The Inner Light?

I think they'd appreciate The Inner Light, for sure. Relics, I get the feeling my Dad would like that one more than my Mom.

Humerus posted:

Cause and Effect and Parallels are pretty good in terms of telling sci-fi stories really well.

I think the kind of episodes that would be most up their alley are really good personal stories, and really good social commentary. (And my Dad gets easily frustrated by any sort of non-linear storytelling, much to my constant dismay)

Far Beyond the Stars would probably be another good one.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 23, 2020

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Nessus posted:

They did some interesting stuff in Star Trek Online with it, including actually getting the visual appearance of the interior correct to what it actually would be. It's certainly weird to see water and clouds directly underneath your ships zooming around.

How did they do on the scale though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Copping a raktajino mug because I drink too much coffee and have the need for a wide-rear end-cup.

knox fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 24, 2020