Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Volte posted:

To follow up on my Mortal Shell combat griping, I'm fighting this boss Crucix the Twiceborn and upon landing a successful parry with no resolve charges, I am literally stunned for longer than the boss to the point where I take unavoidable damage from the crossbow guy sticking out of his chest, which auto-attacks after a parry. I can't even harden during the post-parry stun animation, so he always hits me with one crossbow bolt before I can harden through it. The frustrating thing is that the combat is a few small gripes away from being good and rewarding, but those things sometimes cross over into the "unavoidable bullshit damage" territory. Or at least, the systems they gave me to interact with are sometimes unavoidably counterproductive.

Genuinely curious cause I haven't picked it up yet but are you trying to harden/parry something you should just be dodging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Orv posted:

I'm pretty sure I and the other people being 'really weird' about it would be completely fine with it being titled the general thread, it was just the way it was handled, which we were all pretty calm about (I was a bit snippier than I maybe needed to be.) Go for it.

E: Keep the genuinely good Romance of the 3 Storefronts bit though, please.

If we were gonna clean up threads and organize or whatever and someone cared about my opinion I'd say one "PC games chat thread" and a "PC game storefronts discussion thread"

but then the latter would have to have the Romance of the Three Kingdoms title and that's a waste imo :thunk:

it's all messages on the internet, maaaaaan

Orv
May 4, 2011
Discussing storefronts is actually an abrogation of my posting rights, therefor

Whatever works, honestly.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
:sweatdrop:

https://i.imgur.com/4w8MouE.mp4

(Monster Hunter World)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Please do not harm the gentle sky puppy.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I recently binged this game for hundreds of hours on PS4 and my goodness it's bizarre seeing that framerate

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I recently binged this game for hundreds of hours on PS4 and my goodness it's bizarre seeing that framerate

You should see the loading times

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Orv posted:

Please do not harm the gentle sky puppy.

I legit love Narga to death (to death ) and I only hunt them to be able to emulate them.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Volte posted:

To follow up on my Mortal Shell combat griping, I'm fighting this boss Crucix the Twiceborn and upon landing a successful parry with no resolve charges, I am literally stunned for longer than the boss to the point where I take unavoidable damage from the crossbow guy sticking out of his chest, which auto-attacks after a parry. I can't even harden during the post-parry stun animation, so he always hits me with one crossbow bolt before I can harden through it. The frustrating thing is that the combat is a few small gripes away from being good and rewarding, but those things sometimes cross over into the "unavoidable bullshit damage" territory. Or at least, the systems they gave me to interact with are sometimes unavoidably counterproductive.

Unless I'm missing something from later in the game or specific to another shell or something, you can't parry with no resolve, so you're just standing there taking his hit if you're trying to parry it with no resolve.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Orv posted:

Genuinely curious cause I haven't picked it up yet but are you trying to harden/parry something you should just be dodging?
The "safe" way would be to just dodge everything and get a few hits in when the opportunity arises, and that's generally viable from what I can tell, if you can avoid getting hit. The main issue is that there's no healing mechanic like an Estus Flask. The only consumable heals I've seen so far are like ultra-slow "heal 35 damage over 30 seconds" type of things. The only way to get back a decent chunk of health quickly is to land a successful parry and riposte, but the rub is you have to have a charge of Resolve (a secondary meter that builds up as you do damage) in order to actually riposte, otherwise the parry just stuns the enemy for a second. It might sound like the solution then is to not parry unless you have a charge of Resolve to enable the riposte, but when you're just doing normal attacks, the meter builds up quite slowly whereas a zero-Resolve parry instantly gives you one charge. The issue with the aforementioned boss is that a zero-Resolve parry also stuns you long enough that the boss can get some damage in on you without fail from what I can tell. It's not that there's no way to do it or that the fight isn't fair, it's just that there's a conflict between the game systems where some of them are both heavily incentivized and also sometimes counterproductive, so ultimately it feels like the safest way to play is just to ignore them and dodge everything, which doesn't feel as fun or reactive to me.

Unless I'm missing something from later in the game, you can't parry with no resolve, so you're just standing there taking his hit if you're trying to parry it with no resolve.
The parry still works, it just doesn't give you the red circle indicating a counter attack. You can tell it worked because it gives you a full Resolve charge when it happens.

edit: I'm using Eredim so it could be something specific to that shell I guess? I didn't take note when I was using the other ones.

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 23, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah yeah that's a sticky design problem for sure. I'll have to pick that up in the next bit here when I'm feeling better, now that I'm not hardcore burnt out on Souls(-likes) like I was for a few years there.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Volte posted:

The "safe" way would be to just dodge everything and get a few hits in when the opportunity arises, and that's generally viable from what I can tell, if you can avoid getting hit. The main issue is that there's no healing mechanic like an Estus Flask. The only consumable heals I've seen so far are like ultra-slow "heal 35 damage over 30 seconds" type of things. The only way to get back a decent chunk of health quickly is to land a successful parry and riposte, but the rub is you have to have a charge of Resolve (a secondary meter that builds up as you do damage) in order to actually riposte, otherwise the parry just stuns the enemy for a second. It might sound like the solution then is to not parry unless you have a charge of Resolve to enable the riposte, but when you're just doing normal attacks, the meter builds up quite slowly whereas a zero-Resolve parry instantly gives you one charge. The issue with the aforementioned boss is that a zero-Resolve parry also stuns you long enough that the boss can get some damage in on you without fail from what I can tell. It's not that there's no way to do it or that the fight isn't fair, it's just that there's a conflict between the game systems where some of them are both heavily incentivized and also sometimes counterproductive, so ultimately it feels like the safest way to play is just to ignore them and dodge everything, which doesn't feel as fun or reactive to me.

The parry still works, it just doesn't give you the red circle indicating a counter attack. You can tell it worked because it gives you a full Resolve charge when it happens.

Fair, I'll have to mess with parry more! I'm ignoring it in my run and finding the game super easy just hardening and dodging but I'm only working on the first one of the dungeons now.

If you eat more mushrooms to get familiarity they heal you over 10 seconds instead of 30. You can also farm an infinite number of them. The shop at the tower sells rats that heal for a lot over 10 seconds for 100 tar each, they remove resolve but I've never needed any when I can just heal with rats. I have way more healing items than I'll ever be able to use. Right now I have 30 healing mushrooms and more than 50 rats :shrug:

I'm playing as Tiel whose health is so low that a single mushroom/rat is basically a very fast full heal for me, not sure if it'll be different for another shell with more HP.

My main complaint about the game is that the running attack with the starter sword is so good that it chumps every enemy and boss I've fought so far and all the alternate weapons seem useless as a result.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 23, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, something about that seems badly balanced. A mutual stun on parry is one thing and discourages using that mechanic against groups, which is fine. If the parry mechanic is by design intended to be your primary method of healing yourself mid-combat, though, then it shouldn't be a sacrifice move that is guaranteed to make you take damage due to the stunlock even in a 1-on-1.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

If you eat more mushrooms to get familiarity they heal you over 10 seconds instead of 30. You can also farm an infinite number of them. The shop at the tower sells rats that heal for a lot over 10 seconds for 100 tar each, they remove resolve but I've never needed any when I can just heal with rats. I have way more healing items than I'll ever be able to use. Right now I have 30 healing mushrooms and more than 50 rats :shrug:
Can you farm the mushrooms without just waiting the minute or whatever for them to respawn? I don't think I've ever had more than about 3 at a time. I do have the full familiarity with them, but they also take a long time to actually eat and Eredim has a shitload of health so it doesn't do that much relatively speaking. What you say also highlights a limitation of the way I've been playing, which is to basically ignore most combat encounters in favour of exploring and finding new areas. I think I've collected a grand total of maybe 3000-4000 tar all told, and either lost it or spent it on revealing my shell's names and a couple of abilities. Spending hundreds of tar on healing items seems very expensive to me.

My main complaint about the game is that the running attack with the starter sword is so good that it chumps every enemy and boss I've fought so far and all the alternate weapons seem useless as a result.
I switched over to the Hammer and Chisel when I found it but yeah I'm using the running attack whenever I can. I find it has the highest possibility to stagger, no risky windup, and you can just dodge away right after. But the same thing is basically true in Dark Souls. The jump attack got me through my SL1 run.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

For what it's worth there several easily-accessible no-risk healing options in Mortal Shell, people seem to be really hung up on parry healing. Here are the others:

Healing mushrooms - medium 10sec heal over time that you can collect infinite of because the spawn points in the world for them respawn every few minutes

Rats - Extremely cheap, high 10sec heal over time, can buy infinite from the shop. Removes Resolve which powers your parry healing and some not very useful weapon skills (this is basically just a consumable that gives you the parry heal without having to parry and it can be used even with no resolve)

Rotten Food - dropped by enemies, instant small heal that reduces resolve

Mortal Token - taking an attack while hardened heals you for the amount of the attack, I think you only find these in the world and as drops? But I have a few and never remember to use them

Ornate Token - after you harden through an attack, the next attack done to you deals zero damage (like pre-emptive healing so I'm sticking it in the list)

Volte posted:

Can you farm the mushrooms without just waiting the minute or whatever for them to respawn? I don't think I've ever had more than about 3 at a time.

For the mushrooms the best place to farm them is around the tower, there are like 5 or 6 spawn points in the swamps around the start of the game and the tower itself. I did a few runs of clearing the entire area out and grabbing them all, you could also leave all the enemies dead after that and just run laps collecting them but I kept resetting for the sweet sweet Tar that I used to buy weapon acids and rats

I don't have the hammer and chisel yet :( I'll try it out when I get it, it's the only one I don't have yet

e: I think Eredim might be a trap. A lot of the posts I read online about parts of the game being a real struggle or difficult mention using Eredim - yeah he has a ton of health, but he also has no Stamina. Tiel has effectively infinite stamina and his dodge is a short-ranged teleport, his lack of health doesn't matter too much when you can teleport away on a whim - easier to avoid attacks, and easier to get away when you need to heal. Pressing dodge twice on him puts a ton of distance between you and a boss, plenty of time to eat a healing item. I was struggling at the start using Eredim and couldn't kill Grisha, but then I found Tiel and never looked back.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 23, 2020

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I've started Disco Elysium, and I think I've hosed myself.

I lucked out a skill check and was able to grab my policeman's cloak, but I'm now unable to return to the scene of the lynching. I appear to be locked into an area where my only option is to speak with the Union leader, who is trying to hand me a 'gigantic novelty cheque'. When I do the right thing, he brings up my lost gun, causing my Morale to drop and, well, game over.

Am I screwed?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do you have any morale heals?

Netrunner
Aug 31, 2019

spincube posted:

I lucked out a skill check and was able to grab my policeman's cloak, but I'm now unable to return to the scene of the lynching. I appear to be locked into an area where my only option is to speak with the Union leader, who is trying to hand me a 'gigantic novelty cheque'. When I do the right thing, he brings up my lost gun, causing my Morale to drop and, well, game over.

Am I screwed?

According to my search, you have about 4 seconds when your health goes critical to use a morale healing item and save yourself. I can't help with the specific story progression question because I am not sure why you would be locked out of that.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

spincube posted:

Am I screwed?

Isn't there a door you can go through around where you jumped down? That should lead back out but maybe it's locked I can't remember

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Hwurmp posted:

Do you have any morale heals?

:doh: I thought not, I'd picked up a few items but they didn't appear in my inventory - a quick Web search suggests they're the clickable number above the health/morale bars instead :doh:

Let's try it again...

MMF Freeway posted:

Isn't there a door you can go through around where you jumped down? That should lead back out but maybe it's locked I can't remember

That was my plan B, but it's currently 'you need a pass' locked. Opens out to the gangway where there's apparently some seven-foot tall super-racist who I haven't yet spoken with.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

e: I think Eredim might be a trap. A lot of the posts I read online about parts of the game being a real struggle or difficult mention using Eredim - yeah he has a ton of health, but he also has no Stamina. Tiel has effectively infinite stamina and his dodge is a short-ranged teleport, his lack of health doesn't matter too much when you can teleport away on a whim - easier to avoid attacks, and easier to get away when you need to heal. Pressing dodge twice on him puts a ton of distance between you and a boss, plenty of time to eat a healing item. I was struggling at the start using Eredim and couldn't kill Grisha, but then I found Tiel and never looked back.
I don't have Tiel yet but I did switch back to Harros to give that a try. You take some guaranteed fall damage when you start this particular boss fight, only it turns out that on Harros it's an automatic death, so that's nice.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Not sure if it was brought up at some point, but seems that thanks to the success of Persona 4 amongst other things, Sega now intends to "aggressively promote the porting of previously launched titles to Steam and other new platforms" and from here on out "prepare the PC version and others from the start" with PC an equal priority to other platforms.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 23, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I hope aggressive porting doesn't result in aggressively lovely ports that turn "our games don't sell on PC" into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kanfy posted:

Not sure if it was brought up at some point, but seems that thanks to the success of Persona 4 amongst other things, Sega now intends to "aggressively promote the porting of previously launched titles to Steam and other new platforms" and from here on out make PC "an equal priority on all new releases."

Now put the Yakuza 3-5 remasters, 6, and Judgment on steam already!

E:

Fallom posted:

I hope aggressive porting doesn't result in aggressively lovely ports that turn "our games don't sell on PC" into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

For what it’s worth, I haven’t had a bad port from Sega in ages, they’ve done a pretty good job. Though bad ports have been rarer lately (but not gone, looking at you HZD) since modern consoles are basically just PC’s anyway.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kanfy posted:

Not sure if it was brought up at some point, but seems that thanks to the success of Persona 4 amongst other things, Sega now intends to "aggressively promote the porting of previously launched titles to Steam and other new platforms" and from here on out make PC "an equal priority on all new releases."

What previously launched titles is he referring to? What are people looking forward to?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kanfy posted:

:toot:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What previously launched titles is he referring to? What are people looking forward to?

Sonic 06 Remastered

Sonic kissing a human woman, now in 4K

Orv
May 4, 2011

Veib posted:

Sonic 06 Remastered

You're already getting a second movie, don't be greedy. :v:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Mortal Shell update: I beat the boss I was doing Crucix, both phases by doing the dumbest possible strategy with no parrying or hardening, and basically just baiting it into the same attack over and over again and doing like 22 damage every 5-10 seconds. It took forever but felt very safe. I think this might be what Hugo Martin was talking about with the fun zone concept in Doom Eternal and why it forces you to use all the mechanics. If you don't do something like that (and I'm not arguing that Doom Eternal did it perfectly), the optimal solution from the player's perspective ends up being something extremely dull. I'd much rather have been forced to perfect my parrying technique than feel like it's not worth it to even try and just do the same exact inputs over and over for 15 minutes. And if that were the case, I feel like it probably would have been balanced a little bit better.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Veib posted:

Sonic 06 Remastered

You joke, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1LMiy4P1oc

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I watched the first couple minutes of that and it seems... fun?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

definitely a bad port then

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I watched over 20 minutes of it, seemed very much Sonic. I can't tell if the player is either very skilled, the game is heavily auto-aimed, or both. Wikipedia says that everyone hated the camera controls, which I suppose can ruin a game?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

That's someone who knows how to play the game and the levels, I can assure you the game is still just as jank as the original.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I haven't played it, but IIRC there was tons of bullshit deaths if you didn't know the best/safe strats (that's obviously not a big issue with a skilled runner)

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

GreyjoyBastard posted:

liking spiritfarer so far, does the management get complex to any meaningful degree?

No. It stays rather simple and you just need more things the further you get.

The focus is more on being a relaxed adventure which gives you some things to do and explore, but also has a beautiful story and imo a very good balance between being fun and serious.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Literally every other Atlus game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Welp, found a Mortal Shell bug:

https://i.imgur.com/xGHabPy.mp4

Pro tip, don't use Eredrim's harden slam when you're over impassable geometry. I'm totally softlocked, can't even open the menu to quit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

wow so sonic 06 was just them copying SA1 in large parts hoping people would buy in for 7 year old nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Kanfy posted:

just gimme workable ports of all the PS2 MegaTens and we’re good