Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm frankly considering watching OG Build Divers to learn more about Magee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Unless you can find a Magee super cut it’s probably not worth it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Warmachine posted:

Also, regarding Alus never really growing as a threat: that's the point of his character. He isn't supposed to grow, at least not without the protagonists dragging him to his lowest point possible. He stubbornly repeats the same mantra the entire series. He isn't growing and evolving his strategy because he doesn't have the concept of change. The fact that he's aping Gunpla at all, let alone digging up more advanced models to throw out monster-of-the-week style is a bloody miracle.

I guess I'm just running slap bang in to a problem with the show then, because on a narrative level I can see why that'd be the point and think it's a cool idea but at the same time, Re:Rise is still supposed to be an action show and I just don't care, because I think that makes for a really boring action scenario. I think maybe that's why I appreciate the beginning and middle of Re:Rise more. I don't expect the action to be as central in those parts of the show, so I don't mind if the characterization or plot is given more weight at the cost of action, but I want them to support the action at the end of the show and not obfuscate it in some way.

Warmachine posted:

The only things I know about Magee is that he has a magnificent rear end and is May's surrogate parent, and those are the only things I think I really need to know.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I really like that there won't be any actual risk to anybody in the last episode. Because it means they're only fighting to save Alus. If there was still a super laser hanging over their head, then saving Alus would just be a means to stop the super laser.

By changing the stakes from the super laser to Alus's soul, it makes the theme of the show so much stronger. The Build Divers' true victory isn't stopping the laser, it's showing that everyone can Re Rise.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Magee is literally the best part of either Build Divers series and I wish we got to see more of them in both series. I do appreciate that Magee got to deliver the welcome to GBN line in the last episode though.

edit: My 7 year old nephew was incredibly hyped for the core change Re:Rise and as dumb as it may be it was fun to share his excitement for that.

Apprentice Dick fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 22, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Can't be because they don't object to the fact that their making sentient Ai's, just that they ruining a video game! Once the game is fixed they don't have a problem with GBN continuing to generate them.

GBN really is the be all and and end all of this world.

That's the really funny thing. Even in the first Divers, it was never like Yu-Gi-Oh where vast international corporations lived and died on their success at this children's game. It's just... a reasonably popular VRMMO. Not even everyone who works at Gundam Base has played it.

It's just the staff at GBN has a really inflated idea of their game's importance.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

I guess I'm just running slap bang in to a problem with the show then, because on a narrative level I can see why that'd be the point and think it's a cool idea but at the same time, Re:Rise is still supposed to be an action show and I just don't care, because I think that makes for a really boring action scenario. I think maybe that's why I appreciate the beginning and middle of Re:Rise more. I don't expect the action to be as central in those parts of the show, so I don't mind if the characterization or plot is given more weight at the cost of action, but I want them to support the action at the end of the show and not obfuscate it in some way.

The only things I know about Magee is that he has a magnificent rear end and is May's surrogate parent, and those are the only things I think I really need to know.

Yeah, I can see where it would be an issue also because it's a hard needle to thread: it's easy to see it and think "bad writing" instead of interpreting it as the intent to make a static character as explicit contrast to the protagonists' dynamism. I'm not even sure if my interpretation is correct, I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt because everything else regarding characterization in this series has been phenomenal, so it seems that them gaffing on the main antagonist would be extremely out of character.

Apprentice Dick posted:

Magee is literally the best part of either Build Divers series and I wish we got to see more of them in both series. I do appreciate that Magee got to deliver the welcome to GBN line in the last episode though.

edit: My 7 year old nephew was incredibly hyped for the core change Re:Rise and as dumb as it may be it was fun to share his excitement for that.

If you weren't riding the hype train as soon as you saw the portraits come together like an episode of Power Rangers then I don't know what you were on.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kazami knows what's up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

"Because it's loving awesome" is a perfectly valid design choice :colbert:.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I generally have a more favourable opinion on Build Fighters Try than the rest of the thread, but one of my standout favourite bits is Yuma wondering aloud if Tryon 3's combination really has any benefit at all, and Sakai immediately hitting back with 'shut up you idiot, you have no sense of romance or aesthetic originality.'

EDIT: Well I got the wrong episode but the line from the actual scene is even better. A heinous crime:

jackhunter64 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 23, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

If you weren't riding the hype train as soon as you saw the portraits come together like an episode of Power Rangers then I don't know what you were on.

I was kind of expecting them to all end up in a single shared cockpit when that happened but that would have been too much, I suppose.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I hope Re:Rise manages to get picked as part of a future Super Robot Wars' series roster, since it wouldn't feel too out of place in one. I just wanna see the Re:Rising Gundam being one of your endgame super units that can solo maps.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 'it's actually an alien world' concept would make it actually really workable in a SRW, whereas the other Build series would be a bit more work. Just have them think the entire plot of a SRW game is a quest in a MMO until Alus starts nuking stuff, go from there. Heck, unlike other Build series, where other Gundam series being around would slightly break the plot, other Gundam series being around would be perfect. Kazami could go 'haha, they have Amuro AND Garrod as NPCs in this quest, they must really want us to be impressed.'

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jackhunter64 posted:

I generally have a more favourable opinion on Build Fighters Try than the rest of the thread, but one of my standout favourite bits is Yuma wondering aloud if Tryon 3's combination really has any benefit at all, and Sakai immediately hitting back with 'shut up you idiot, you have no sense of romance or aesthetic.'

That exchange was also really wild because in the typical show, the protagonist would be making that argument to the antagonist instead of vice versa.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

tsob posted:

amigolupus posted:

I hope Re:Rise manages to get picked as part of a future Super Robot Wars' series roster, since it wouldn't feel too out of place in one. I just wanna see the Re:Rising Gundam being one of your endgame super units that can solo maps.

Considering how long it lasts on-screen, it'd be a combination attack.

Re:Rise would still fit fairly well in SRW anyways, it'd even give you a bunch of different mecha styles:
-The Core Gundam has a frame system, as well as the unique ability to change frames once per map, somewhat like the Impulse in Z though with a lot more choices but also more limited in a proper map since it can only change once. The frames could serve as an extra life too. The Core Gundam II has a flight mode although it'd require you to purge all frames and put you at a disadvantage.
-The Valkylander has a transformation system. Also Trans-Am, but that'd likely just be an attack as usual.
-The Wodom Pod has two lives, with either a one-way transform or just getting destroyed to release the Mobile Doll May, like the Black Sarana in W.
-The Knight Justice is a more direct unit with no transformations, though the Knight Aegis has a flight mode.
-The Tertium is your typical late-game join with high stats and immediate usability. Cuadorn too, maybe.

Endorph posted:

The 'it's actually an alien world' concept would make it actually really workable in a SRW, whereas the other Build series would be a bit more work. Just have them think the entire plot of a SRW game is a quest in a MMO until Alus starts nuking stuff, go from there. Heck, unlike other Build series, where other Gundam series being around would slightly break the plot, other Gundam series being around would be perfect. Kazami could go 'haha, they have Amuro AND Garrod as NPCs in this quest, they must really want us to be impressed.'

This is also really good and would fit incredibly well in a SRW story.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just want them to put wodom pod in mbon as a 2k and mobile doll May as a 3k.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Itd probably just be a 2k that works like the marasai ans gabthley

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

Itd probably just be a 2k that works like the marasai ans gabthley

They threw out this mechanic in EXVS2 because it was poo poo and no one liked it, so they're separate suits now. I dunno if they'd revive the mechanic.

God, I want so many Build series suits in EXVS. :smith:

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 22, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Someone on Twitter drew Alus Core Gundam armours based aroudn WarGreymon and Omegamon and I love them.
https://mobile.twitter.com/sukekiyo56/status/1297156763477635073

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Well, this isn't happening. I remembered OG Build Fighters is still on YouTube, so that's my weekend binge.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Warmachine posted:

Well, this isn't happening. I remembered OG Build Fighters is still on YouTube, so that's my weekend binge.

That's a significantly better idea

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Divers won't really tell you anything about Magee beyond "is a nice person who helps newbies in an MMO" anyway.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/nama_gundam/status/1297499067497373696

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Too long

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

divers is good tho, watch the dub

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Will the third season of Divers finally live up to the name by having all the characters pilot aquatic MS?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Will the third season of Divers finally live up to the name by having all the characters pilot aquatic MS?

I kind of hope they move on to a new premise; if they continue the escalation trend the third season is going to have GBN raising the dead (I guess it kind of does that already) or opening a portal to Hell or something.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Midjack posted:

I kind of hope they move on to a new premise; if they continue the escalation trend the third season is going to have GBN raising the dead (I guess it kind of does that already) or opening a portal to Hell or something.

The existential threat that the Creators fought off hones into planet earth because of GBN side traffic and invade planet earth, the creators manifest within GBN and somehow send a meteor of magic sand into earth to help humanity fend them off with the power of gunpla

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They figure out how to use the Eldoran transportation network GBN accidentally tapped into, GBN players travel through the galaxy uniting intelligent species into a cosmic Gunpla alliance.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The GBN programmers accidentally tap into the Divine Script and begin rewriting the world outside the game. Some fan's mashup of Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam and New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop gets animated as a result, threatening to tear the fabric of reality itself asunder.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

divers is good tho, watch the dub

I know we're in a Gundam thread, and therefore crimes against humanity are de rigueur, but can't you go with a classier one than recommending Build Divers? You know, something kinder.

Like a colony drop.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

build divers is just kind of a boring but watchable kids toy commercial show. like the seasons of beyblade where they dont bring up moses. its not the worst thing in the world or anything, heck its better than zeta or stardust memory, or awakening of the trailblazer

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I know we're in a Gundam thread, and therefore crimes against humanity are de rigueur, but can't you go with a classier one than recommending Build Divers? You know, something kinder.

Like a colony drop.

better than zeta, stardust memory, or try imo

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

as somebody who plays with the toys, toy commercials are cool

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

we even have a 800-page thread about them here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195

join my gruntsuit group build

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Do not listen to them, Divers is offensively bad to think and talk about with how nobody could be afforded to spare a brain cell on the plot, worldbuilding and characterization.

Also Zeta is great.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

Do not listen to them, Divers is offensively bad to think and talk about with how nobody could be afforded to spare a brain cell on the plot, worldbuilding and characterization.

Also Zeta is great.

Zeta's middle section is so mind-numbingly dull even I dropped it which says a lot considering that I'm isekai thread OP.

apparently it gets really good but if it takes 30 to 40 episodes to do that it's not worth it

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Also Magee revealing that he and Shahryar had a one-night stand is equivalent wrt characterization with the entirety of Try.

Stardust Memory is actually the worst thing that I've ever finished. The fact that it looks pretty good just makes how offensively nonsensical the plot and characters are even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

GimmickMan posted:

In retrospect I do kinda enjoy the fact that the central mystery of Divers, Sara, is a mystery only to the audience. She's not a mystery to the characters because they straight up do not care. A strange psychic girl shows up with no Gunpla in the game about having a Gunpla, and they don't even think to question it.