Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Looks pretty good to me. Only streaking I notice is on the shoulder pad. Do love the blue you did for the armor. Not to mention the base is great as well.

Thanks! Yeah, the shoulder pads annoyed me a bit. Must've not thinned my reds enough. The blue is 50/50 VGC Hawk Turquoise and Jade Green, but it looks slightly greener in real life. The base is mainly the result of me getting some AP basing stuff so I wanted to try out some barbed wire :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Winklebottom posted:

Took my first shot at a marine. Freehanding is hard :(

Maybe, but it looks fuckin' wicked! Love the colour scheme, too.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm probably going to play for the first time in years and I'd like some feedback on this list. I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm likely but not certainly playing against Death Guard.

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Tyranid) [49 PL, 6CP, 1,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [6CP]: 2. Incursion (51-100 Total PL / 501-1000 Points)

Hive Fleet: Kronos

+ HQ +

The Swarmlord [14 PL, 270pts]: Warlord

+ Troops +

Hormagaunts [6 PL, 120pts]
. 20x Hormagaunt: 20x Scything Talons

Ripper Swarms [2 PL, 36pts]
. 3x Ripper Swarm: 3x Claws and Teeth

Tyranid Warriors [4 PL, 75pts]
. Tyranid Warrior: Devourer, Scything Talons

+ Elites +

Hive Guard [6 PL, 150pts]
. 3x Hive Guard (Impaler): 3x Impaler Cannon

Venomthropes [5 PL, 99pts]
. 3x Venomthrope: 3x Toxic Lashes

+ Heavy Support +

Biovores [2 PL, 50pts]: Biovore, Show Spore Mine Rules

Tyrannofex [10 PL, 200pts]: Acid Spray, Adrenal Glands

++ Total: [49 PL, 6CP, 1,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

The idea is to have the Hive Guards and and the Biovore (I took this because I think it's a funny unit more than anything) will ideally hide out of sight and just keep shooting stuff since they don't need LOS. The Biovore's mortal wounds are especially enticing.

The idea is to get the Tyrannofex close enough to spray acid all over the enemy. My thinking is that it's a guaranteed hit is more effective against DG.

Meanwhile the Swarmlord backed up by three Venomthropes will move up the blob of Hormagaunts which is either going to bring them into fighting range or is going to be a good distraction.
The Ripper Swarms are there just to grab objectives and the Warriors are there because I couldn't think of anything else (and I don't want to paint more hormagaunts).

Feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Winklebottom posted:

Took my first shot at a marine. Freehanding is hard :(

What did you use for the barbed wire? The whole model looks great

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
If you play vs DG pray that you get to go first before they manage to buff up. DG are great and will get even greater with 2 wounds. Tyranids don't seem to be so great at the moment. Can maybe take the 2ndary where you have to keep your most expensive units alive .. like the hive guard hiding away.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

MRLOLAST posted:

If you play vs DG pray that you get to go first before they manage to buff up. DG are great and will get even greater with 2 wounds. Tyranids don't seem to be so great at the moment. Can maybe take the 2ndary where you have to keep your most expensive units alive .. like the hive guard hiding away.

I don't mind losing too much, as long as I do OK. Will that list make me do OK?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

inscrutable horse posted:

Maybe, but it looks fuckin' wicked! Love the colour scheme, too.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

What did you use for the barbed wire? The whole model looks great

Thanks! The wire is Army Painter Battlefield Razorwire.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

a7m2 posted:

I don't mind losing too much, as long as I do OK. Will that list make me do OK?

I can't say since I have never played nids :) but maybe have 2 units of 10 instead of a large group of 20 termies to grab objectives?
I just respects hive guard and turn 1 genestealer rushes . But you are not running the stealers and I understand why not. So instead of melee everything I think you will have to play cagey and know that DG are rock hard and kills stuff easily so just take good victory conditions and focus on completing them.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

a7m2 posted:

I'm probably going to play for the first time in years and I'd like some feedback on this list. I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm likely but not certainly playing against Death Guard.

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Tyranid) [49 PL, 6CP, 1,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [6CP]: 2. Incursion (51-100 Total PL / 501-1000 Points)

+ HQ +

The Swarmlord [14 PL, 270pts]: Warlord

+ Troops +

Hormagaunts [6 PL, 120pts]
. 20x Hormagaunt: 20x Scything Talons

Tyranid Warriors [4 PL, 75pts]

+ Elites +

Venomthropes [5 PL, 99pts]
. 3x Venomthrope: 3x Toxic Lashes

+ Heavy Support +

++ Total: [49 PL, 6CP, 1,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

The idea is to have the Hive Guards and and the Biovore (I took this because I think it's a funny unit more than anything) will ideally hide out of sight and just keep shooting stuff since they don't need LOS. The Biovore's mortal wounds are especially enticing.

The idea is to get the Tyrannofex close enough to spray acid all over the enemy. My thinking is that it's a guaranteed hit is more effective against DG.

Meanwhile the Swarmlord backed up by three Venomthropes will move up the blob of Hormagaunts which is either going to bring them into fighting range or is going to be a good distraction.
The Ripper Swarms are there just to grab objectives and the Warriors are there because I couldn't think of anything else (and I don't want to paint more hormagaunts).

Feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated.

You’re welcome to try any list you like and honestly for a first attempt it doesn’t look terrible. That said here’s a couple things:

You’re not taking a ton of advantage over Kronos. Their psychic power, Symbiostorm, is really great on Hive Guard, giant Warrior blocks, or an Exocrine but if you’re advancing the Swarmlord away from your hiding units you’re not going to be able to take advantage.

On that subject, the Swarmlord at 1000pts is a lot of eggs in one basket. Yes, it has a solid invuln but it’s also an obvious target and you lose big when it gets taken out by their anti-tank. At 1000pts you can probably expect some long-range guns and maybe (probably) a ridiculously overpowered vomitthrower out in Swarmies direction. I would recommend splitting it’s points off onto two HQs. If you want to keep a similar build you can do a walking Tyrant and a Neurothrope (almost mandatory in Kronos).

You don’t have a good candidate for relics in your list, which is another reason to add lore non-characters. The Resonance Barb is so good and leaving it off the table is criminal.

More small troop units can be important for scoring. With new terrain rules making it easier to get -1 to hit I’d drop Venomthropes for points to fill things out better. They’re just not worth it. :(

Overall though you’ve picked decent units so play what looks fun!

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Still got the sorcerer to finish, but am taking a break for a bit to paint my daemons for a while.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Painted my first SM for well over 10 years as a present for my wife. It's supposed to look like our dog who is a Shiba Inu.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

After reading Gaunts Ghosts “The Saint” I’m going to have to paint a Chimera.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Ropes4u posted:

After reading Gaunts Ghosts “The Saint” I’m going to have to paint a Chimera.

I'm assuming you're talking about the events of Honour Guard (first 1/4 of the omnibus). Have you read Straight Silver yet? It contains one of the most iconic Tanith sequences in the series:

The abandoned mansion fight in the spooky woods.

The Saint is probably my favorite of the four overarching Ghosts narratives. It has four very different planetary conflicts with different scales and tactics. It also led into the amazing spin-off Double Eagle. The Lost feels like a retreading of a lot of the themes from the Saint: incorporating the Belladons in the same way as the Vervunhivers, Gaunt's position being threatened, and the Ghosts being hung out to dry by incompetent high command. To be fair, that last one is basically standard in the Imperial Guard at large. The Founding is good but Abnett hadn't quite hit his stride with the characters and overall sense of narrative until Necropolis (the third book). I liked the Victory well enough, but it just felt a bit fan service-y and over the top compared to the more grounded start of the series.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 24, 2020

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Speckled Jim posted:

Yep hairspray it is.

Is it possible to do this effect with chipping fluid?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I'm assuming you're talking about the events of Honour Guard (first 1/4 of the omnibus). Have you read Straight Silver yet? It contains one of the most iconic Tanith sequences in the series:

Yes!

I will have a Chimera with “Wounded Wagon” scrawled in its side. I accept that there are a lot of trash novels in the 40k but “The Saint” isn’t one of them, it’s a really good read so far.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

You’re welcome to try any list you like and honestly for a first attempt it doesn’t look terrible. That said here’s a couple things:

You’re not taking a ton of advantage over Kronos. Their psychic power, Symbiostorm, is really great on Hive Guard, giant Warrior blocks, or an Exocrine but if you’re advancing the Swarmlord away from your hiding units you’re not going to be able to take advantage.

On that subject, the Swarmlord at 1000pts is a lot of eggs in one basket. Yes, it has a solid invuln but it’s also an obvious target and you lose big when it gets taken out by their anti-tank. At 1000pts you can probably expect some long-range guns and maybe (probably) a ridiculously overpowered vomitthrower out in Swarmies direction. I would recommend splitting it’s points off onto two HQs. If you want to keep a similar build you can do a walking Tyrant and a Neurothrope (almost mandatory in Kronos).

You don’t have a good candidate for relics in your list, which is another reason to add lore non-characters. The Resonance Barb is so good and leaving it off the table is criminal.

More small troop units can be important for scoring. With new terrain rules making it easier to get -1 to hit I’d drop Venomthropes for points to fill things out better. They’re just not worth it. :(

Overall though you’ve picked decent units so play what looks fun!

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback! I updated my list based on your feedback. I don't have a walking Tyrant and prefer not to buy any new models now, so I replaced him with a Tyranid Prime to support my Warriors. I replaced the Swarmlord with a Neurothrope, replaced the Hormagaunts with Termagants (since I probably can't get them within fighting range quick enough without the Swarmlord) and replaced the Venomthropes with Zoanthropes. I also beefed up the warriors a bit. I haven't decided on a warlord trait yet, probably the Kronos one.

The general idea is similar: I move up my Tyrannofex into acid spraying range, the Biovore and Hive Guard give support from a hidden location, Ripper Swarms try to get objectives.
Now I have a team of psykers hopefully dealing out a good amount of mortal wounds not to mention making life hard for enemy psykers.

My team of Warriors are pretty flexible now, being able to do dish out long range and melee damage with one of the warriors having a blast weapon.
My Termagants will make sure the Neurothrope can't be directly targeted and if they get the chance have the potential to do decent damage.

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Tyranids) [46 PL, 6CP, 1,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

+ HQ +
Neurothrope [5 PL, 95pts]: Power: Smite, Power: Symbiostorm, Resonance Barb, Warlord
Tyranid Prime [5 PL, 85pts]: Adrenal Glands, Boneswords, Deathspitter

+ Troops +
Termagants [6 PL, 147pts]
. 13x Termagant (Devourer): 13x Devourer
. 6x Termagant (Fleshborer): 6x Fleshborer
Tyranid Warriors [4 PL, 102pts]: Adrenal Glands
. Tyranid Warrior: Boneswords, Deathspitter
. Tyranid Warrior: Boneswords, Deathspitter
. Tyranid Warrior (Bio-cannon): Boneswords, Venom Cannon

+ Elites +
Zoanthropes [6 PL, 135pts]: Power: Onslaught, Power: Smite
. 3x Zoanthrope: 3x Claws and Teeth

+ Heavy Support +

++ Total: [46 PL, 6CP, 1,000pts] ++

Am I making any obvious mistakes? Maybe Hormagaunts are more useful than Termagants because they can tie stuff up in close combat?

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Snail Information posted:

Is it possible to do this effect with chipping fluid?

I dont see why not. Might have to be a bit more aggressive with the scrubbing. I've thought about making the switch myself. Fluid through the airbrush is probably a bit more forgiving.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Still got the sorcerer to finish, but am taking a break for a bit to paint my daemons for a while.

Is that contrast? Looks real nice.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

a7m2 posted:

Am I making any obvious mistakes? Maybe Hormagaunts are more useful than Termagants because they can tie stuff up in close combat?

With Kronos you're much better off with Termagants zapping things from an objective.

The only suggestions I'd make would be:

1) You can take an Adaptive Physiology for 1CP, or take one for free instead of a Warlord trait. I'd highly recommend Dermic Symbiosis on the Tyrannofex if it's going right into the thick of things.
2) Swap out Onslaught for Catalyst to give more durability to key units

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

xtothez posted:

With Kronos you're much better off with Termagants zapping things from an objective.

The only suggestions I'd make would be:

1) You can take an Adaptive Physiology for 1CP, or take one for free instead of a Warlord trait. I'd highly recommend Dermic Symbiosis on the Tyrannofex if it's going right into the thick of things.
2) Swap out Onslaught for Catalyst to give more durability to key units

Thank you! I will do both of these. I was a little worried about the range but I read that in 9th edition the board is smaller so that might negate it a little. In 8th it could be a real issue getting my gants in range.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

a7m2 posted:

Thank you! I will do both of these. I was a little worried about the range but I read that in 9th edition the board is smaller so that might negate it a little. In 8th it could be a real issue getting my gants in range.

I think that list looks much tighter, and I agree with the power/adaptation update.

If you’re playing at 1000pt Incursion missions the board is actually super tiny (30”x44”) and you’ll find yourself able to cover ground really quickly. This makes the acidfex super useful because it can threaten a large portion of the table and dissuade the enemy charging forward to you quickly.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
So I finally caved and got the app subscription and I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised. Now with Battlescribe for the points and the army building and the rulebook it feels like I can play any army in the game.
Just have to find an opponent then..

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

MRLOLAST posted:

So I finally caved and got the app subscription and I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised. Now with Battlescribe for the points and the army building and the rulebook it feels like I can play any army in the game.
Just have to find an opponent then..

I was not a fan of the subscription at first.

But, with my wife now playing, and me getting ready to add a third army, I'm ahead of the cost of buying all the books for the 3 additional armies.

However, I'll wait to see how they handle the codex thing. I like the fluff and stuff in them, but at this point, I know my Eldar background inside and out, I don't need another 50 pages of it. But, I'm not dropping cash on a new codex, for a few pages of rules, when I've been giving them ~$7 a month for x-amount of months by that time for the rules.

Then the third side of the 2-sided coin is, having access to all the army rules, so, I can glance at them quickly for armies I'm not familiar with.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I understood that once a 9th edition codex is released, the app will no longer provide "free" rules for that army with the subscription. It would make a lot of sense if they gave everyone paying a subscription all the rules, but not the fluff content, and fill out some of the value that was perceived as missing from the app.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Maneck posted:

I understood that once a 9th edition codex is released, the app will no longer provide "free" rules for that army with the subscription. It would make a lot of sense if they gave everyone paying a subscription all the rules, but not the fluff content, and fill out some of the value that was perceived as missing from the app.

Making sense isn't how GW makes it's business policies. They use a Oujia board.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
GW is basically the only company who can do the "You have to buy a $50 book on top of a $60 core book" thing and actually be profitable, they would be insane to stop that gravy train.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
They should keep lore and stuff in the codex and have those smaller lay flat books for the data sheets and strategems and things of that nature. I'd like to have to carry less large books if able

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I was looking at my old 3rd and 4th edition codexes for some painting inspiration recently, and god do I miss them being thin softcovers, when it comes to playing games.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Hot Karl Marx posted:

They should keep lore and stuff in the codex and have those smaller lay flat books for the data sheets and strategems and things of that nature. I'd like to have to carry less large books if able

If they were sold as separate items hardly anyone would buy the fluff bit, and if they were sold together it would bump up the price of codices, and everyone would complain.

Let's be realistic here, if they do what they said they were doing (buy a physical codex, get the digital copy on the app for free with all the errata and updates) it's a big step forward. The subscription and the app itself I think is just generally a disaster because it's the classic case of companies doing thing copying other people without truly understanding what made it successful.

Subscription models do make a lot of money, yes, particularly for access to digital content which costs you literally nothing to provide (obviously has costs to create) but generates income every month. If you look at a relatively successful similar subscription service, DnD Beyond, you see the big differences. Firstly all the "core" stuff you need is totally free, including the rules to the game, all the character classes etc. The 40K App does not let you play the game because you need the codices to play, even if you ignore that, the army builder part (something critical to playing the game) isn't free. I don't even think it was free to easily search the core rules like you can on DnD Beyond. From there, the subscription basically pays for all the "extras" like expansions etc. It has tools but there are limits on those tools etc.

The 40K app honestly seems entire pointless unless you subscribe, which means there's no way to hook people into it. Sure maybe my free digital codex means I'd use the app to check that, but if I can't build my army in it I'm going to use Battlescribe. If the app doesn't let me search the rules, I'm just going to use the PDF I downloaded onto my phone for free that doesn't require an internet connection. If I can't track my crusade army in it or share that army with friends, I'm going to just use the google drive sheet I created. Even if the app does all this things and does them well, there needs to be a reason to pay for them, and I think "it's slightly easier" probably wont cut it. Whereas if I could do all these things for free and they were easy to do but it was like "Sorry, your app can only have 1 crusade army unless you're a subscriber" and then was like "Hey, you know that crusade expansion we released? Subscribers can view it for free!" suddenly you're like "gently caress it, just subscribe, it's easier and at least I'm getting something".

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I am just enjoying the app reading about all the different warlord traits, units , relics and strats all the different armies have. They even have all the different PA books and and their changes. Now when I see a battlereport and someone says they will use green tide or biggest boss warlord trait I can look it up and realized what it does. Things like that is super fun and worthwhile to me. Like no longer is GSC a mystery since I have always been GSC curious. :)

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
there's a real feeling that they didn't quite get why people liked the AoS app and that's that it was useful to just have on hand because browsing basic unit stats wasn't locked behind a paywall.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

MRLOLAST posted:

I am just enjoying the app reading about all the different warlord traits, units , relics and strats all the different armies have. They even have all the different PA books and and their changes. Now when I see a battlereport and someone says they will use green tide or biggest boss warlord trait I can look it up and realized what it does. Things like that is super fun and worthwhile to me. Like no longer is GSC a mystery since I have always been GSC curious. :)

Yeah, if you're enjoying it then that's great, but bear in mind that right now you have access to all that stuff, but over the next year or two those codices are going to be replaced with the 9th ones which you don't have access to. There's also other ways to read up the key strats and warlord traits for each army, like even just reading things like Goonhammer and 1d4chan pretty much outlines all the key ones.

They are essentially competing with "you can look this up but for free elsewhere, and here it costs you money and is little to no more convenient than your free method". People don't necessarily consciously decide this, but they can sort of tell by gut feelings whether it's adding value or not. If the subscription was access to the full rulebook, all codices (8th and 9th), all expansions etc then it's probably decent value. It doesn't seem like it will stay that good though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kitchner posted:

like even just reading things like Goonhammer and 1d4chan pretty much outlines all the key ones.

Only Goonhammer now as 1d4chan kicked the bucket mid last week and returns a 503 issue now.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

Only Goonhammer now as 1d4chan kicked the bucket mid last week and returns a 503 issue now.

Maybe they finally cut themselves on their edge.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Got my Spiritstone Red paint in end of last week and last night finished up my first paint scheme model for my new army. Now to crank on 4 more of these for a full unit in the worlds smallest assembly line.

Oh and have a loin cloth pic too - note to self glue this on before you glue the arms and gun on next time.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

What recipe did you use for that white? Looks great and was actually what I came here to post about.

Trying to settle on a method of doing a white cape. Before I have used Rakarth Flesh > Agrax > Pallid Witch Flesh > White Scar edge highlight. Considering swapping the Rakarth for Wraithbone. Any thoughts?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

^burtle posted:

What recipe did you use for that white? Looks great and was actually what I came here to post about.

Trying to settle on a method of doing a white cape. Before I have used Rakarth Flesh > Agrax > Pallid Witch Flesh > White Scar edge highlight. Considering swapping the Rakarth for Wraithbone. Any thoughts?

About 4 layers of thinned wraithbone over gray primer, maybe 5, then fine tipped brush to drop agrax earthshade in those creases and then edge highlight vallejo white on the cloak edges and the ridges of the folds.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

FWIW I think of you want to run 3x Hive Guard, you might as well spend the extra 100 and increase the unit to a total of 5x

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

^burtle posted:

I really like using Corax White as the base coat, then using apothecary white contrast paint as a shade in the recesses, and then highlighted in white scar.

It gives a cold white though, if you want a warmer white, like the one used on White Scars, then it's worth watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gLwf3ok4YQ&t=802s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I just want to pimp out P3's Frostbite white for a nice cold white with a little blue in it, if that's what you're looking for. The coverage isn't actually all that bad, for a white.

Also their Blighted Gold is pretty awesome and seems to be made for anything Nurgle oriented.