Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

knox posted:

Copping a raktajino mug because I drink too much coffee and have the need for a wide-rear end-cup.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1984-FELTMAN-LANGER-NO-Spill-Travel-Coffee-Mug-Captain/143688877992?hash=item21748647a8:g:RNYAAOSwcmBfPtEv

Wrong kind of captain, but the right shape of cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

What would be interesting additional RPG hook would be a civilization which was very well developed, perhaps even doing the Gundam colony thing in their planetary system, but had either not discovered the warp drive or had the invention suppressed or used in some weird way instead of being interstellar FTL.

The scenario I've always had in the back of my head is an area of space just a few light years across where warp travel and subspace communications aren't possible.

You could have a hugely advanced civilisation there that is effectively cut off from the rest of the galaxy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

The scenario I've always had in the back of my head is an area of space just a few light years across where warp travel and subspace communications aren't possible.

You could have a hugely advanced civilisation there that is effectively cut off from the rest of the galaxy.

Ancient Omega accident?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

So we learn about halfway into Voyager that the borg, aside from possessing transwarp technology which is faster than the Federation's warp tech, also have a network of conduits they use for travel around the galaxy that is not really commented on.

What if instead it the network was left over by some ancient civilization, or even whoever made the Borg? Then you could have a series long arc of Voyager trying to access the network to get home, instead of just the one time?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

knox posted:

Copping a raktajino mug because I drink too much coffee and have the need for a wide-rear end-cup.

I’ve been noticing them use those on Babylon 5 as well. I have one somewhere with the UFP logo on, and official trek logo. They’re an arse to wash up.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I always liked these ones a bit better from later in the series. And they look a bit more washable:

Star Trek: critiquing science-fiction drinkware since 1966

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Astroman posted:

How did they do on the scale though?

From what I remember, probably too small but not noticeably so.

From the outside it's like an oversized planet that you can't fly around, just a small section around the entrance. From the inside it's like a space zone with a unique skybox, again you can only fly around a small zone, not the whole thing.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

SardonicTyrant posted:

So we learn about halfway into Voyager that the borg, aside from possessing transwarp technology which is faster than the Federation's warp tech, also have a network of conduits they use for travel around the galaxy that is not really commented on.

What if instead it the network was left over by some ancient civilization, or even whoever made the Borg? Then you could have a series long arc of Voyager trying to access the network to get home, instead of just the one time?

the first campaign can be trying to decode the 7th chevron

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
I liked thinking of the borg as an infection - nobody 'made' them, (or at least, not intending for them to be what they are) and they don't think so much as try out anything and success is selected for. Building conduits throughout the galaxy is just something that was successful at propagating borgness. (yeah, I know that doesn't mesh with a lot of borg lore).

Now that there's a borg queen essentially at the centre of a hive, I'd love if there were wars between borg similar to ants invading other nests.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It would have been interesting to see an explanation of why the Borg haven't just snowballed across the galaxy, when given what we're shown of their existence they should be able to spread exponentially

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Statutory Ape posted:

the first campaign can be trying to decode the 7th chevron
You jest but then Discovery borrowed the slipstream drive from Andromeda, complete with needing a pilot to manually steer and the weird space with curvy lines.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

multijoe posted:

It would have been interesting to see an explanation of why the Borg haven't just snowballed across the galaxy, when given what we're shown of their existence they should be able to spread exponentially

It seems a bit nonsensical that the Borg only ever seem to have attempted a homeworld assimilation of humans instead of dispatching Cubes to any other world like Romulus or Qo'Nos or Cardassia.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

On the other hand, ask the dominion what happens when you get some of the superpowers to work together

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Borg are farming, applying survival pressure so their targets will innovate and develop until they're ripe for harvest.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Based on their original appearance the Federation would have been their ideal target because it is the only big and explicitly multi-species empire in the immediate area. Get them, you get something of everybody. Of course when they basically just became cyborg zombies this is less valid.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
In their original "Q Who?" appearance the Borg didn't give a poo poo about anybody that didn't have some kind of technology they didn't already know. It wasn't until First Contact that they became obsessed with zombifying populations. The Federation has always been portrayed as more technologically advanced than most of its fellow powers. Presumably the Borg didn't think the Klingons or the Romulans would have anything to add to the Collective. Later that dubious honor was reserved for garbage species like the Kazon.

By the time they became portrayed as an aggressively hegemonizing swarm, the writers just never bothered to ask the question.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

multijoe posted:

I think the only way to read them in Voyager is that they are constantly scanning the galaxy and tending their transwarp conduits, but only bother getting active if they find something new and interesting to assimilate. The Borg are well aware of the Kazon's existence, they just don't give a gently caress because there's nothing interesting about them.

The Borg would have made more sense if the entire species was just in the one cube (or a handful of cubes, acting independently). It rolls around as this civilisation-ending event for any star system it appears in, but it can only be in one place at a time and because of the Borg motivation isn't just indiscriminately attacking things, they're looking for novel technology or culture to assimilate.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

if you keep assimilating ppl from a dangerous savage child race eventually youll start acting like a dangerous savage child race

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They are not interested in assimilation during Q Who but it was implied in BOBW that they might do that to Earth

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

The Borg are farming, applying survival pressure so their targets will innovate and develop until they're ripe for harvest.

Wasn't this the abandoned ending of Mass Effect?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

FlamingLiberal posted:

They are not interested in assimilation during Q Who but it was implied in BOBW that they might do that to Earth

Locutus specifically says to Worf that the Klingons will be assimilated, and that they 'seek to improve quality of life for all species'.

It's kinda weird, though, because then in I, Borg and Decent, all the Borg seem to be 'native' drones again, not assimilated victims.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Like how you starve a pepper plant of nutrients to make it spicier. They know Humans are the next carolina reaper.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Astroman posted:

How did they do on the scale though?

Eh, okay, I guess. You only fly around a few key zones on them. There's two spheres in the game, the Jenolan Sphere, which is the TNG one and is just a cameo and looks like it did on the show

and the Solanae Sphere, which is where most of the gameplay in the spheres happens and is covered in hundred-mile-tall towers and equipment as part of the omega-harvesting operations of the sphere. (Star Trek Online's approach to plot is just to throw all of the plots in a blender and lean into how ridiculous it gets)

There's an iconian space-gateway from New Romulus to the Solanae Sphere and another one from the Solanae to the Jenolan, (which is currently in the Delta Quadrant after it built up enough omega particles to jump locations to get away from its collapsing star and envelop a new more stable one instead) And the Jenolan Sphere has an open door so we can get out into the Delta Quadrant, which is how they introduced Voyager content into the game.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 24, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

the neon pink tradition endures

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Finally watching TAS. Sulu just said he couldn't teach Kirk a karate move because it only works if you're inscrutable. Was not expecting that one. :gowron:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Alchenar posted:

I think the only way to read them in Voyager is that they are constantly scanning the galaxy and tending their transwarp conduits, but only bother getting active if they find something new and interesting to assimilate. The Borg are well aware of the Kazon's existence, they just don't give a gently caress because there's nothing interesting about them.

Statutory Ape posted:

if you keep assimilating ppl from a dangerous savage child race eventually youll start acting like a dangerous savage child race

I remember from one issue of the old Inquest magazine, they had a "Who Would Win" fight between the Borg and the Orks from Warhammer 40K. The Borg kept wiping out the Ork hordes but ended up forfeiting the fight after assimilating the Ork warboss. The Borg Queen threatened to "kill the next rust-bucket who adds their imbecility to the Hive!"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

In their original "Q Who?" appearance the Borg didn't give a poo poo about anybody that didn't have some kind of technology they didn't already know. It wasn't until First Contact that they became obsessed with zombifying populations. The Federation has always been portrayed as more technologically advanced than most of its fellow powers. Presumably the Borg didn't think the Klingons or the Romulans would have anything to add to the Collective. Later that dubious honor was reserved for garbage species like the Kazon.

By the time they became portrayed as an aggressively hegemonizing swarm, the writers just never bothered to ask the question.

The Borg specifically stole Romulan colonists the first time they hit up the Alpha Quadrant proper. They liked eating them just fine, they just beelined towards humanity proper after they assimilated Picard.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

multijoe posted:

My pet Borg theory (that works for the most part if you ignore a couple of the most overpowered Borg Queen moments) is that the distance through which a Borg can connect to the collective is relatively short. So drones in the Delta and Beta quadrants may not ever have any direct communication. They appear as one homogenous entity however since they are no hard barriers between them and so differences in local groups are evened out by their neighbours.

It explains differences in behaviour between different parts of the collective and why they don't spread as fast as might be expected. Assimilate large populations in one area and they might weaken the collectives voice there too much. So they need to trickle in new additions and once they are in the collective be continually stirring the drones up, to allow new assimilations to spread to the rest of the collective.

Alchenar posted:

That would be a really interesting Borg strategy, keep on voluntarily feeding them your best technologies so you don't have anything new to offer them.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

That would be a really interesting Borg strategy, keep on voluntarily feeding them your best technologies so you don't have anything new to offer them.

Nah, if you always had new poo poo to offer then they'd assimilate you.

They don't bother with the kazon precisely because the kazon never have anything new to offer, and likely have insufficiently unique biology to justify full assimilation.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

Something like that actually did come up in Voyager. The Vaadwaur from "Dragon's Teeth" used to use "subspace corridors" to conquer a respectable chunk of the Delta Quadrant, only to be wiped out by a coalition of opposing races in the 15th century who then appropriated the corridor network for themselves. According to Memory Alpha, it's never established if the Vaadwaur built the corridors, appropriated them from an older species, or if they were some strange natural phenomenon.

Naturally, neither they nor the Vaadwaur ever appeared again in Voyager.

Strong Convections posted:

I liked thinking of the borg as an infection - nobody 'made' them, (or at least, not intending for them to be what they are) and they don't think so much as try out anything and success is selected for. Building conduits throughout the galaxy is just something that was successful at propagating borgness. (yeah, I know that doesn't mesh with a lot of borg lore).

Now that there's a borg queen essentially at the centre of a hive, I'd love if there were wars between borg similar to ants invading other nests.

The Shatnerverse novel The Return takes this approach to the Borg, imagining that there are other branches of the collective that made more use of biological technology, or one that just converts their targets into energy patterns (V'Ger was a product of that branch). Honestly, that book makes the Borg a whole lot weirder than FC and VOY made them with stuff like a giant tessaract space station inside a transwarp conduit, or the closest thing to a "homeworld" being a sentient machine planet orbiting a neutron star that sends the Borg out to assimilate the galaxy to assuage its own terrible loneliness.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Presumably the Borg didn't think the Klingons or the Romulans would have anything to add to the Collective.
Romulans and Klingons can cloak.

...can Borg cloak?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Marshal Radisic posted:

Honestly, that book makes the Borg a whole lot weirder than FC and VOY made them with stuff like a giant tessaract space station inside a transwarp conduit, or the closest thing to a "homeworld" being a sentient machine planet orbiting a neutron star that sends the Borg out to assimilate the galaxy to assuage its own terrible loneliness.

That actually owns and is a super TOS concept. I'm not sure what that has to do with the Borg.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The_Other posted:

I remember from one issue of the old Inquest magazine, they had a "Who Would Win" fight between the Borg and the Orks from Warhammer 40K. The Borg kept wiping out the Ork hordes but ended up forfeiting the fight after assimilating the Ork warboss. The Borg Queen threatened to "kill the next rust-bucket who adds their imbecility to the Hive!"

Huh. Thought I was the only person who remembered Inquest Magazine.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Talking about Star Trek again got me interested in doing a rewrite of Voyager, just for fun, and I realized something about the Federation: for all it's faults, it's still a utopia to us in the 21st century. There is no poverty, no hunger, no discrimination of race, probably no discrimination on sex and gender (the writers kept trying to add a gay couple as early as TNG but Berman apparently put his foot down on that, so officially it's just implied). But. But despite all that, this utopia is not enough. As time as advanced, new social problems have emerged, but social progress has stalled. Look at the Doctor. To us in the 21st century, he could easily pass any test we could devise to prove he's a sentient being. To the people of the 23rd century, he's not even a slave, he's a product. And not even a high-quality one; recall his entire product line was discontinued and repurposed to mine asteroids as free labor. A huge chunk of the Doctor's character arc is making people realize he is a person. At some point the Federation stopped in its social advancement (and even culturally it's beginning to stagnate; Julian Bashir offhandedly mentions in one episode of DS9 the great Federation writers of the time are just copying works from other races and giving them a human spin, which could explain why everyone is so interested in the classics of our modern day). TNG and DS9 discuss the fear of the Federation sliding backwards to the older, more barbaric periods of humanity, but no series really hammers on the idea that the Federation could be doing more.

tldr fully automated luxury gay space communism now, but also the automations are unionized.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 25, 2020

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Talking about Star Trek again got me interested in doing a rewrite of Voyager, just for fun, and I realized something about the Federation: for all it's faults, it's still a utopia to us in the 21st century. There is no poverty, no hunger, no discrimination of race, probably no discrimination on sex and gender (the writers kept trying to add a gay couple as early as TNG but Berman apparently put his foot down on that, so officially it's just implied). But. But despite all that, this utopia is not enough. As time as advanced, new social problems have emerged, but social progress has stalled. Look at the Doctor. To us in the 21st century, he could easily pass any test we could devise to prove he's a sentient being. To the people of the 23rd century, he's not even a slave, he's a product. And not even a high-quality one; recall his entire product line was discontinued and repurposed to mine asteroids as free labor. At some point the Federation stopped in its social advancement (and even culturally it's beginning to stagnate; Julian Bashir offhandedly mentions in one episode of DS9 the great Federation writers of the time are just copying works from other races and giving them a human spin, which could explain why everyone is so interested in the classics of our modern day). TNG and DS9 discuss the fear of the Federation sliding backwards to the older, more barbaric periods of humanity, but no series really hammers on the idea that the Federation could be doing more.

tldr fully automated luxury gay space communism now, but also the automations are unionized.

I think you are basically setting up Discovery season 3 (from what it looks like).

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I mean, the idea behind utopia is that, by definition, it can't exist. We can always do more,, and there are always new problems to face and overcome. If anything, that's the story of Star Trek. It's not that life is perfect or we are perfect. But it's that we're always moving forward, doing better, searching for perfection.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Epicurius posted:

I mean, the idea behind utopia is that, by definition, it can't exist. We can always do more,, and there are always new problems to face and overcome. If anything, that's the story of Star Trek. It's not that life is perfect or we are perfect. But it's that we're always moving forward, doing better, searching for perfection.
To me the problem is that, individual characters might hem and haw about the Federation's principles and think they could do more, but nothing actually changes on a structural level. A Federation tribunal judged that Data was a sentient being and not Federation property, but nothing seems to have changed for any other artificial beings ; the Doctor has to prove his own personhood in a later season, and nothing about that first trial is referenced.

(actually that trial with Data was profoundly hosed up, because Riker was basically blackmailed to play prosecutor or else the trial would default to judging Data as property)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SardonicTyrant posted:

(actually that trial with Data was profoundly hosed up, because Riker was basically blackmailed to play prosecutor or else the trial would default to judging Data as property)

From a realism/plausibility point of view, you're absolutely right. If Riker had wanted the verdict to go that way, she just handed him a magic button to make that happen without any trial at all.

From a dramatic and TV-show-producing point of view, it is hugely better to have a plot device force Riker into doing something he hates than to bring in yet another guest star to do the prosecuting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Powered Descent posted:

From a realism/plausibility point of view, you're absolutely right. If Riker had wanted the verdict to go that way, she just handed him a magic button to make that happen without any trial at all.

From a dramatic and TV-show-producing point of view, it is hugely better to have a plot device force Riker into doing something he hates than to bring in yet another guest star to do the prosecuting.
But as a consequence to that, it's now official canon that the Federation's judicial system is just as bad as ours in its own ways. And the implications of this are never discussed again. The Cardassians during DS9 could have pointed to this trial as an example of the Federation's hypocracy, had the writers actually remembered it.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 25, 2020