Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
androids whole purpose was to prevent micosoft or blackberry from dominating the mobile os market and then shutting out google services and ads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
some "good" anroid news

after an update a little while back my google telephone couldn't have more than four tabs in a browser open at once. any more and the browser would bring the entire os to a full stop when you tried to switch between apps. happened across different browsers, very frustrating

I got a patch last week that apparently fixed the bug. now I can use my telephone without it randomly crashing. thanks google

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
cremnob

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
android so boring now.

weast
Nov 7, 2012

i saw someone i know talk about trying to have an iphone for a while and complaining about how they couldn't do "power user" things on their phone like with android and how their friends are surprised about seeing a phone as "more than an entertainment + communication + phone rectangle" but their friends haven't "seen what they've seen". i can't possibly imagine what that is supposed to be does anyone here have any ideas?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

only Android gives you the power to use an unreadable font

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yo google what the gently caress

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I guess it’s better than having to open a context menu like iTunes but come on

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

they want to make sure you're paying attention

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

weast posted:

i saw someone i know talk about trying to have an iphone for a while and complaining about how they couldn't do "power user" things on their phone like with android and how their friends are surprised about seeing a phone as "more than an entertainment + communication + phone rectangle" but their friends haven't "seen what they've seen". i can't possibly imagine what that is supposed to be does anyone here have any ideas?

one thing i really liked was i could hold the home button to pre-generate a calendar event off a date in a message/search but google broke that when they replaced google now with assistant.

widgets and default clients, but ios has that now

ad blockers i guess?

some automation stuff

sshing into my homebox to compile the linux distro dailies, you know

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
this thread isn’t fun because android is poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
android was always poo poo, but it used to be funny, too

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i miss the clocks too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

android was always poo poo, but it used to be funny, too

it doesn't help that some of the biggest android lols of yesteryear are things apple has wholeheartedly embraced

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cyanogenmod died four years ago, that's pretty funny.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
cyanogen mod died?

i thought they tried to pivot into a commercial venture or something, but i haven't been paying attention for ages

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

yeah and that commercial venture crash and burned taking down the whole project.
It got forked into LineageOS and has been trucking on ever since.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
looks like it was forked into lineageos, which has the high standard of professionalism you'd want from your phone operation system maker:

quote:

2018 April Fools' prankEdit

LineageOS was criticized for a deceptive April Fool's prank included with some April 2018 builds.[52]

During the first week of April 2018 LineageOS released new builds with the "LOSGenuine" prank that informed unaware users of the software possibly being counterfeit via a persistent notification (which could not be disabled unless the user ran the following command in a root shell):

setprop persist.lineage.nofool true

When the notification was tapped, the software claimed that the device was "uncertified" and needed to mine "LOSCoins", which were a virtual currency and could not actually be spent. Affected builds also had a preinstalled "Wallet" app that showed the current balance of LOSCoins.[52]

Many users mistook the prank for actual malware, and others reportedly found it to be in "poor taste". It was especially criticized for being too "late" for an April Fool's joke, since many users didn't receive the update until days later, making the jest less obvious. On 10 April 2018, LineageOS team director ciwrl issued an official apology for the deceptive prank.[53][54

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

p sure bullguy now has four telephones

bull3964 posted:

That does not look like a headphone jack to me. It just seems like an optical illusion because of the background.

I got my 4a yesterday and it's so cute. It's been like 18 months since I've had anything approaching a small phone around and it's even a little smaller than the Pixel 3 I had and considerably lighter. I'm surprised how solid the back material feels, it almost feels like coated metal rather than plastic.

The P5 being the same as this just with more cameras, higher screen refresh, and wireless charging is suddenly seeming like it makes a bunch of sense.

Now if only I was doing anything so that the size of phone in my pocket makes a difference.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

my phone screen refresh rate is very important to me.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

thanks for stalking this guy because he has the wrong phone operating system, really bringing the lols

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jenny Agutter posted:

thanks for stalking this guy because he has the wrong phone operating system, really bringing the lols

is it stalking if bull willingly volunteers the fact about once a week?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

last time yospos got obsessed with a guy with multiple android phones they ended up trying to dox him before it got called out. it’s creepy behavior

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

weast posted:

a while back i was tempted to try cloning the nfc chip in my univerisity id, and the recommendation i got for hardware was "cheap anroid phone" instead of a dedicated nfc reader/writer, in terms of cost and ease of setup/use

of course that is not something i want my phone to be able to do, i would just be buying a nfc reader/writer that coincidentally happens to be a android telephone

(i was never super motivated to try this anyway, and its even less of a priority now that i have only used my university id once in the last 5 months)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lysidas posted:

a while back i was tempted to try cloning the nfc chip in my univerisity id, and the recommendation i got for hardware was "cheap anroid phone" instead of a dedicated nfc reader/writer, in terms of cost and ease of setup/use

of course that is not something i want my phone to be able to do, i would just be buying a nfc reader/writer that coincidentally happens to be a android telephone

(i was never super motivated to try this anyway, and its even less of a priority now that i have only used my university id once in the last 5 months)

just get a chameleon, it won't cost much more than a phone and does much more. if that's the only thing you want to do then the right phone will do it though not all phones have nfc chipsets that will work. if you're really interested in rfid hacking get a proxmark.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

looks like it was forked into lineageos, which has the high standard of professionalism you'd want from your phone operation system maker:

Prank Culture is the loving worst

the reddit relationships thread in gbs regularly has people who are confused about why their relationship was destroyed over "just a little prank" and it always turns out the "prank" was something like: poisoning their girlfriend's food, lighting their friend's car on fire, making a false police report that their boss is a pedophile. making extremely realistic malware appear on someone's computer is definitely more on the rear end in a top hat side of things than the funny side.

i remember when a prank was a spring-loaded snake in a can of nuts, goddamnit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in quebec instead of april fool's you have "poisson d'avril," april fish, and the goal is to surprise people with a paper cutout or small toy of a fish. that's the entire prank. your mom gives you a bowl of cereal and there's a plastic fish in it. you go to work and your mouse isn't working and you flip it over and there's a paper fish on the sensor. someone tapes a fish to your back and you walk around like that all day. it is possibly the best prank humans have ever invented.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

in quebec instead of april fool's you have "poisson d'avril," april fish, and the goal is to surprise people with a paper cutout or small toy of a fish. that's the entire prank. your mom gives you a bowl of cereal and there's a plastic fish in it. you go to work and your mouse isn't working and you flip it over and there's a paper fish on the sensor. someone tapes a fish to your back and you walk around like that all day. it is possibly the best prank humans have ever invented.

apparently they do this in france too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

we did this but with a bunch of cutouts of my friend's dad's face from his business cards. he was finding them for days

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Prank Culture is the loving worst

the reddit relationships thread in gbs regularly has people who are confused about why their relationship was destroyed over "just a little prank" and it always turns out the "prank" was something like: poisoning their girlfriend's food, lighting their friend's car on fire, making a false police report that their boss is a pedophile. making extremely realistic malware appear on someone's computer is definitely more on the rear end in a top hat side of things than the funny side.

i remember when a prank was a spring-loaded snake in a can of nuts, goddamnit
pranks are by and large just socially acceptable bullying

the least bad ones are the ones where you make out like something is wrong and then haha it’s actually fine. the other end of the spectrum is where you just straight up ruin someone’s day “for a joke”. dog poo poo in a car radiator, that kind of thing

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
google + hardware = comedy, every time

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

i haven't thought about how fast my phone's processor is since...2014, maybe?

what the gently caress are you all doing on your phone that requires processors like this? because if it's games lol

after the 7 i dont think i cared or noticed anymore, and even that was a stretch from the 6. then again, ios hasnt needed dairy performance overhauls for the ui so maybe thats part of the reason

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FMguru posted:

i wish google would open source the rng that picks phone parts

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

i’m sure it’s just a star trek nerd.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

no thanks, I'd rather have my operating system vendor prank me with some epic fake malware

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Agile Vector posted:

google, release the rick osterloh

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

idk, they are probably right that the market for premium phones is plenty saturated, and making a cheap phone and doubling down on squeezing every last user data dollar out of people is the play.

which is more depressing than comedy. though i might be more of a wet blanket for this thread than is helpful at this rate :q

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google is bowing out of the AR stickers for Pixels.

https://9to5google.com/2020/08/24/pixel-4a-playground-stickers/

Starting with the Pixel 4a, all future Pixels will no longer be able to use the Playground app and the functionality has been removed from the Camera app. The P4a can download the Playground app, but nothing will happen.

All previous Pixels before the 4a will still support Playground as well as the various LG and Motorola phones that got support last year.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the pixel 4a and 5 look like they suit my needs. if i didn't just get a new phone last year, i'd probably get one. fingerprint sensor is way better than face unlock, soli is useless and i like light durable plastic over "premium materials"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

racing to the bottom is the Anroid way, always has been