Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Coolguye posted:

underscores are unicode names that the game doesn't display properly - you're probably joining a lobby with some folks from japan, china, korea, russia, or whatever.

the syncing issues are probably not related to mods; most mods are just UI mods and don't affect client/server functionality. it's possible, it's just unlikely. what's more likely is you're joining a server where the host is halfway across the planet and their internet's made of wood.

That makes sense.

When I use the filters to include or exclude servers with modded players, it looks like a good chunk of people are running mods. Are there any recommended ones I should be looking into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

maswastaken posted:

Does the regular version work for you? One of the updates caused problems for a whole bunch of people, requiring all manner of solutions like reinstalling various VC++ redistributables and updating MSI Afterburner, etc.

Regular works fine yeah. I was experimenting when the update dropped to see if I still remembered how to play DodgeGrinder. Is that still viable? With a pistol secondary for Messiah, and twin DB Grimms. That was my preferred style, coked up Mega Kawaii and all.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Big Bad Worf posted:

That makes sense.

When I use the filters to include or exclude servers with modded players, it looks like a good chunk of people are running mods. Are there any recommended ones I should be looking into?

Mod-wise?

I'm pretty groggy so maybe I'm out of date, but PocoHUD displays damage numbers for every hit you make and puts actual timers for your buffs in front of you, plus a stamina indicator, which is all just...a lot of information that has no business being hidden. I also like to use VoidUI because it changes HP/armor numbers to absolute rather than relative values, which pleases me at some primal level.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Regular works fine yeah. I was experimenting when the update dropped to see if I still remembered how to play DodgeGrinder. Is that still viable? With a pistol secondary for Messiah, and twin DB Grimms. That was my preferred style, coked up Mega Kawaii and all.

DodgeGrinder's still fine, the actual builds might need to be tweaked by there are way worse builds to use.

Pistols themselves don't need Messiah to proc anymore, and if you're looking for guaranteed Messiah kill-revives, you can kill anything by any method when you fall down to get your proc up. This includes say, the primary Grimms or a buckshot/fletchette Claire or even the compact grenade launcher :wink:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

For the sake of balancing, all weapons and mods have to be nerfed down in certain aspects (accuracy, stability, damage, etc...) and assigned certain (sometimes exaggerated or downright incorrect) performance deficiencies so they won't overpower each other, often resulting in assault rifles with particularly wonky handling (AMCAR) or submachineguns taking more than one solid headshot to kill (e.g the Compact-5 on anything tougher than a security guard).
In reality this will fail quality inspection for a majority of them as all firearms were designed and tooled with performance and efficiency in mind, "balancing" in any shape or form is largely non-existent and non-applicable; that's saying nothing about the fact that gun companies often had to compete with each other, and producing weapons with inherent faults might not be a very wise thing to do.

Shotguns bizarrely have the ability to launch corpses a significant distance away. According to Newton's third law, every action has an equal reaction going in the opposite direction. Should the same happen in reality, the heister wielding the shotgun would also be thrown backwards after firing.

Most of the weapons featured in-game are distinctively loud prior to being suppressed. This combined with the fact that a fair number of heists in the game takes place indoors or otherwise features close quarters means that permanent hearing loss would be a concern were any bit of realism to be portrayed verbatim in the game. A four-man crew opening up with their automatic weapons inside a tight-quarter meat truck in Watchdogs would soon result in a four-deaf-man crew in reality.

Convection is never taken into account in normal gameplay. A firing Flamethrower Mk.1 or the fire patch created by a Molotov Cocktail would generate intense amounts of heat while active, and will potentially steam everyone to death if situated in a confined space.

The Alpha Mauler and Pen are currently the only Event melee weapons in the game.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

EorayMel posted:

Convection is never taken into account in normal gameplay. A firing Flamethrower Mk.1 or the fire patch created by a Molotov Cocktail would generate intense amounts of heat while active, and will potentially steam everyone to death if situated in a confined space.

Parable of the boiling frog but the frog has their hand on the heat setting.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
EorayMel, The Big Bad Worf, here's a little mod for you to check out, from me to you.

After more than a year, Crackdown Mod has been updated. The new Plan Z update represents, dear lord, 350-plus separate revisions to the mod.

We've got:
Holdouts working and polished to a mirror sheen,
New enemy assets (like, almost all of them),
Heavy overhauls of bot and enemy AI on almost every single system in the game,,
and horribly twisted versions of boss enemies for the namesake top difficulty.

We've also started building out a rebalance for player weapons and skills, which I really hope some of you will, like take a look at.

The mod can be downloaded from

https://github.com/Crackdown-PD2/deathvox/releases/tag/PlanZ.
The (out of date) fancy promo site is crackdownmod.com .

The Changelog

Total Crackdown
  • Total Crackdown now available from mod options menu
    Note players will need to have the same mod options selected to play in a server
  • Tweakdata stat entry template introduced for Total Crackdown
  • Radial Sentry Control Menu and full array of sentry ammo types implemented!
  • Close Enough skill implemented
  • Money Shot skill implemented
  • Point Blank skill implemented
  • Spray & Pray implemented
  • Fixes to Hopip overhaul
  • Initial implementation of some weapon attachments

Heists
  • Added heist banners to some missing heists
  • Fixed crash in Rats related to enemy teams code
Holdout improvements
  • Compatibility provided for current holdout implementation in base game
  • Skirmish enemy caps rebalanced
  • Several crashes fixed
  • Wave duration rebalanced
  • Custom holdouts now function, have working banners
  • Turrets on Holdout now have proper stats
Fixes and code
  • Cloaker NVG lights now properly activate and deactivate
  • Correction for corpse disposal oversight
  • Snipers no longer have hurt animations, staying in position
  • Multiple enemy and player grenade crash fixes
  • Crash fix for scripted enemy grenades
  • Enemy tactics fully re-populated, documented
  • Coarse enemy pathing calculation optimized
  • Copmovement code reworked to improve compatability with legacy code
  • Comprehensive fixes to copactionhurt to reduce redundant functions, fix performance issues
  • Fixes to copactionhealed, npc now spawns a syringe!
  • Copactionwalk optimized, annotated
  • Further enemy pathing improvements courtesy of Hyper Heisting mod
  • Enemies can now shoot at hacked turrets
  • Broken sentry sound loop removed
  • Cloaker CS mutator code functions improved
  • General fixes to sentrygun code handling preparatory to total crackdown implementation
  • Major improvements to enemy pathing AI across the board
  • Smoothed stealth detection, netcode
  • Carrying bags and not crouching properly affects detection
  • Improvements to enemy flank and group movement tactics
  • Enemy AIattention code for Z-axis differences
  • attentionobject saturation issue in base game fixed
  • Updates to bullet and melee synced damage code
  • Fixes to shield projectile penetration
  • Jokers able to melee enemies
  • Networked enemy suppression and impacts fix
  • Fixed enemy shooting behavior bug in stealth
  • Applied internal code checks to Graze
  • Fixed crash related to intimidation
  • Fixed crash where calling bots while downed
  • Bots now able to warp to distant players

• Bot aim code optimized
  • Bot teamailogic updated
  • Bot marking behavior fixed
  • Bot reload synced
  • Bot shoot action and player recovery decisionmaking adjusted
  • Updated bot intimidation timer
  • Bot travel and assault logics fixed
  • Sanity check added for bots being tased
  • Hostages no longer hit by graze/bots
  • Bot code optimized – all levels
  • Fixed client-sided crash involving casing mode
  • Improved enemy aimed_at check netcode
  • ECM feedback implemented
  • Fixed bug where shields inappropriately entered cover behavior
  • Logic and sanity checks for Phalanx units
  • Fixes to Friendly Fire mutator code
  • Fix to shotgun shield knockback calculation
  • Stealth shotgun push now syncs from client players
  • Cosmetic local shotgun push (not fully synced, applies to bots)
  • Fixes and improvements to taser targeting behavior, priority and distance
  • Fixes and improvements to cloaker kick and charge behaviors
  • Actionspooc and spooclogic improved- cloakers will properly attack, interrupt
  • Fire, explosion and poison syncing and damage calculations foolproofed
  • Fix for minor shield body part obstruction hit indicator bug
  • Chromatic aberration toggle now functions.
  • Flashbang voicelines now function
  • Consistency fixes to concussion, tripmine damage areas and code
  • Consistency fixes to incendiary grenade explosion
  • Flamethrower damage area and calculation fixed
  • Flamethrower now has suppression cone
  • NPC melee code now consistent
  • Weapon raycasts polished, suppression and autohit now use conic projection
  • LOD update code optimized- major performance improvements
  • Resolved target distance crash
  • Fixed shield turning behaviors for greater consistency between stationary and moving actions
  • Killfeed compatibility fixes for many HUD mods (no guarantees here, sorry folks)

Assets/Enemies
  • Added Zeal Sniper
  • Swapped enemy weapons for greater style consistency
  • G-man guards now wear fedoras...M’criminal…
  • Zeal Medics now apply heal AoE!
  • Gave non-Zeal tasers visor shattering
  • Added visor shattering to the rest of the blue swat tier enemies
  • Fixed gore not working on Zeal Cloaker
  • Fixed patches on blue swat heavy shotgunner
  • Added armorless classic heavy enemies for lower difficulties
  • Enemies now use classic smoke grenade effect
  • Updated models of almost all classic enemies, added and improved recon units to the classic faction
  • Slight revisions to enemy surrender behaviors (should be more consistent/fair on top difficulties)
  • Tasers no longer wield flash or smoke grenades
  • Touchups to Classic Dozers
  • Beat police and FBI agents no longer get overridden by their dc counterparts on classic heists.
  • Fixed weapon used by classic shields on lower difficulties
  • Improved facial textures and normal maps for many classic enemies
  • Several improvements to zeal units based on newly available tools
  • New zeal normalmaps
  • Fixed balaclavas for Zeals
  • Zeal medics have improved matever
  • Z-dozer marked visor issue fixed
  • Optimized fire effects
  • Zeal light riflemen no longer have shotgun shells
  • Additional voicelines for idle guards in stealth
  • Added chatter lines for gangsters
  • Non-CD medics now have alpha channels
  • Fixed normalmap on npc sg553.
  • Enemies now use additional voicelines to indicate status, awareness of player behavior in combat
  • Structure prepared for reaper faction
  • Unique “boss” enemy behaviors and weapons implemented

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

EorayMel posted:

For the sake of balancing, all weapons and mods have to be nerfed down in certain aspects (accuracy, stability, damage, etc...) and assigned certain (sometimes exaggerated or downright incorrect) performance deficiencies so they won't overpower each other, often resulting in assault rifles with particularly wonky handling (AMCAR) or submachineguns taking more than one solid headshot to kill (e.g the Compact-5 on anything tougher than a security guard).
In reality this will fail quality inspection for a majority of them as all firearms were designed and tooled with performance and efficiency in mind, "balancing" in any shape or form is largely non-existent and non-applicable; that's saying nothing about the fact that gun companies often had to compete with each other, and producing weapons with inherent faults might not be a very wise thing to do.

Shotguns bizarrely have the ability to launch corpses a significant distance away. According to Newton's third law, every action has an equal reaction going in the opposite direction. Should the same happen in reality, the heister wielding the shotgun would also be thrown backwards after firing.

Most of the weapons featured in-game are distinctively loud prior to being suppressed. This combined with the fact that a fair number of heists in the game takes place indoors or otherwise features close quarters means that permanent hearing loss would be a concern were any bit of realism to be portrayed verbatim in the game. A four-man crew opening up with their automatic weapons inside a tight-quarter meat truck in Watchdogs would soon result in a four-deaf-man crew in reality.

The Alpha Mauler and Pen are currently the only Event melee weapons in the game.
go throw a football or just anything at all that isn't this or feeding into this

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

EorayMel, The Big Bad Worf, here's a little mod for you to check out, from me to you.

After more than a year, Crackdown Mod has been updated. The new Plan Z update represents, dear lord, 350-plus separate revisions to the mod.

Is this VR compatible? I'm just coming back to Pd2 with my vr setup (thanks Zaphod for convincing me to stick with it after the initial hurdle, it's a blast) and maybe it's time to apply some changes... Especially since I finally found a fix to my vr performance issues so now playing this is butter smooth.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Goddamn DV, that mod might just make me reinstall this. Wow.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kikas posted:

Is this VR compatible? I'm just coming back to Pd2 with my vr setup (thanks Zaphod for convincing me to stick with it after the initial hurdle, it's a blast) and maybe it's time to apply some changes... Especially since I finally found a fix to my vr performance issues so now playing this is butter smooth.

Yes, it is - though we've had very few people testing, they've reported zero issues with VR. As we build out the optional player side rebalance, there may be issues where we need to tailor some skills to VR players.

Hexenritter posted:

Goddamn DV, that mod might just make me reinstall this. Wow.

:swoon:

Generally, folks, I am starved for feedback on the mod, so the more impressions you can share, the better.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 23, 2020

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes, it is - though we've had very few people testing, they've reported zero issues with VR. As we build out the optional player side rebalance, there may be issues where we need to tailor some skills to VR players.

:swoon:

Generally, folks, I am starved for feedback on the mod, so the more impressions you can share, the better.

You've reached deep and knocked the rust of this old heister's cold dead heart; I'm re-installing the game now!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

If we've got new people coming in on Crackdown, I should mention that I also work on it (although I'm focused on the player-side rebalance, Total Crackdown)). If you happen to have any strong feelings about any specific guns or skills, let me know! We're currently in the process of getting the player-side stuff rolling.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

So this is the very first time I've downloaded superblt or any payday 2 mods, and I downloaded what seems to be everything (voiceline framework, beardlib, deathvoxmaster and deathvox-planZ), put all of the stuff in the newly created mod folder...and nothing seems to have happened.

What am I doing wrong?

The path is program files(x86)->Steam->steamapps->common->PAYDAY 2->mods, where all of the downloaded stuff resides, if it will help diagnose stuff.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I feel very strongly that the chainsaw should do more damage and take enemies apart, since you're asking

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

HebrewMagic posted:

I feel very strongly that the chainsaw should do more damage and take enemies apart, since you're asking

Cop health is at 320 | 960 for Lights | Heavies in Overkill - Death Wish, whereas they're at 480 | 1010 in Crackdown. I currently have the Lumber Lite L2 dealing 400 damage for an uncharged swing and a 1250 for a charged swing, with the added bonus of throwing nearby cops into Panic while you're charging it. I'll look into dismemberment.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
May the stars light your way.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

You'll also be able to pick up enabling Headshots on melee weapons and doubled Charge speed for a very modest amount of skillpoints, if the reworked Chainsaw's base performance doesn't wet your whistle.

Kith fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 24, 2020

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Kith posted:

You'll also be able to pick up enabling Headshots on melee weapons and doubled Charge speed for a very modest amount of skillpoints, if the reworked Chainsaw's base performance doesn't wet your whistle.

I'm sure this is a stupid question then but does this mean dedicated melee builds will be at least halfway-viable? All I've ever wanted in Payday is to Battle Without Honor Or Humanity my way through six billion cops. Sure you can do a melee build in vanilla but it feels very anemic and under-powered even in the best of circumstances.

Admittedly chainsawing off limbs would go a long way to alleviating that feeling regardless.

EDIT: I suppose I could have just read the linked changes where you go into extensive detail on the melee skill changes :downs:

And I probably missed it, but is there a Discord for the mod or anything?

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 24, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Doomsayer posted:

I'm sure this is a stupid question then but does this mean dedicated melee builds will be at least halfway-viable? All I've ever wanted in Payday is to Battle Without Honor Or Humanity my way through six billion cops. Sure you can do a melee build in vanilla but it feels very anemic and under-powered even in the best of circumstances.

Admittedly chainsawing off limbs would go a long way to alleviating that feeling regardless.

EDIT: I suppose I could have just read the linked changes where you go into extensive detail on the melee skill changes :downs:

I've been doing a lot of juggling to make Melee weapons viable by themselves with no investment and even more juggling to make the relevant skills worth investing in. Here's a quick rundown of everything I've been up to, if you don't want to flip through 150 pages of Design Document hell:
  • Made gimmick melees so if you want to trade your melee weapon for an extra skill effect, you can
  • Non-Gimmick melee weapon damage buffed A LOT. Like, radically hugely massively largely big amounts. Most melee weapons will kill a Light Cop in two or three hits unless they're a gimmick weapon (in which case they do something else)
  • Most melee weapon performances have been flattened into various categories so there's a reason to use something other than the Four Horsemen of Ice Pick/Katana/Buzzer/Kunai
  • Designed a tree dedicated to Melee Weapons/Throwing Weapons that provides some pretty nice stuff if you want to go whole ham
  • The Infiltrator (Dragan) Perk Deck has been massively buffed and given unique immunities to facilitate melee oriented playstlyes
  • The Sociopath (Jacket) Perk Deck has been reworked into an entirely different monster that has the potential to be the strongest deck by a wide margin
Keep in mind, though - all of this is because Crackdown cops do not gently caress around. These are not the vanilla jobbers that get distracted by walls for 7 seconds at a time, these are elite pig demons from the dimension of infinite swine and they're here to punish you for being alive. I'm buffing melee to the nines because the enemies are smarter, faster, and more dangerous than they've ever been, so the goal is for it to be a viable playstyle if you're good enough.

quote:

And I probably missed it, but is there a Discord for the mod or anything?

come on down to crackdown town

Kith fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 24, 2020

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Kith posted:

I've been doing a lot of juggling to make Melee weapons viable by themselves with no investment and even more juggling to make the relevant skills worth investing in. Here's a quick rundown of everything I've been up to, if you don't want to flip through 150 pages of Design Document hell:
  • Made gimmick melees so if you want to trade your melee weapon for an extra skill effect, you can
  • Non-Gimmick melee weapon damage buffed A LOT. Like, radically hugely massively largely big amounts. Most melee weapons will kill a Light Cop in two or three hits unless they're a gimmick weapon (in which case they do something else)
  • Most melee weapon performances have been flattened into various categories so there's a reason to use something other than the Four Horsemen of Ice Pick/Katana/Buzzer/Kunai
  • Designed a tree dedicated to Melee Weapons/Throwing Weapons that provides some pretty nice stuff if you want to go whole ham
  • The Infiltrator (Dragan) Perk Deck has been massively buffed and given unique immunities to facilitate melee oriented playstlyes
  • The Sociopath (Jacket) Perk Deck has been reworked into an entirely different monster that has the potential to be the strongest deck by a wide margin
Keep in mind, though - all of this is because Crackdown cops do not gently caress around. These are not the vanilla jobbers that get distracted by walls for 7 seconds at a time, these are elite pig demons from the dimension of infinite swine and they're here to punish you for being alive. I'm buffing melee to the nines because the enemies are smarter, faster, and more dangerous than they've ever been, so the goal is for it to be a viable playstyle if you're good enough.

A 150 page document on how the Microphone melee is now actually good and cool sounds extremely up my alleyway, I wouldn't mind a link to that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am curious how the fat stack o' cash now works as a melee weapon.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

EorayMel posted:

A 150 page document on how the Microphone melee is now actually good and cool sounds extremely up my alleyway, I wouldn't mind a link to that.

gaze upon my previous post and despair

Although, I should mention that it's 150 pages total including supplementary material (of which the Roadmap all links to at various points) - the Roadmap itself is not 150 pages (although it DOES have an incredibly high information density).

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I am curious how the fat stack o' cash now works as a melee weapon.

The Melee Weapon document isn't done yet, but I can share a portion of my ultra-secret notes:

quote:

Name: Money Bundle
Type: Memes
Notes: Held like a wallet, drops cash pickups on kills

Kith fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 24, 2020

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Kith posted:

gaze upon my previous post and despair

Although, I should mention that it's 150 pages total including supplementary material (of which the Roadmap all links to at various points) - the Roadmap itself is not 150 pages (although it DOES have an incredibly high information density).

The Melee Weapon document isn't done yet, but I can share a portion of my ultra-secret notes:

Dang, guess I gotta wait a little more.

But I will guess, completely randomly, that the Hotline 8000x is suddenly the new melee meta.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

secretly hoping the microphone melee has a randomly cycling library full of amplified "ow you bastard" "oof" "loving ouch" "a microphone, really?" "Suspect engaging in rap battle" type dumb poo poo for hit sounds

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

same, but that the hoxton shank gives you various WANKER clips when you use it

and that its delay is reduced to a single frame

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWANKERANKERANKERANKER

e: what does ADS mean on the skill trees in the Crackdown design doc?

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 24, 2020

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dear gods yes please lmao

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If dumb poo poo like that happens, I'll need to figure out the VR issue I'm having. Speaking of which, reinstalled entirely. And still not loading on my HMD, but it loads like normal otherwise on the PC itself so, I've confuse.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

e: what does ADS mean on the skill trees in the Crackdown design doc?
Aim(ing) Down Sight

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh that makes way more sense, thanks

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
Hits from the money bundle should make cops surrender (and maybe instantly jokered if the player has the skill).

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

:siren: Enormous monolith of a post coming about my first taste of crackdown, returning Vox's favor :siren:

Well I figured out how to get crackdown working. Apparently there was another folder inside the main folder I was supposed to drag and drop into the mods directory, I did have to go one step deeper after all :v:
(Disclaimer: I played the crackdown:cash first then a regular h&t cash heist with just the deathvox-master files, then played the crackdown:cash with deathvox-master + deathvox-planZ. No noticeable improvements, and maybe I need to have one or the other.
So, my thoughts on about 30 minutes of crackdown/death vox. Starting with the stuff I don't like or don't think is quite right:

First thing I noticed is that the breaker got some changes. 28 ammo from 21, and it does 200 damage a shot, most importantly. However, my interceptor pistol modded for 96-100 accuracy was dropped down to about 84 accuracy, far from the pinpoint precision it can use as a pocket sniper. I didn't notice any other changes, like how the peacemaker would got only 30 shots but have armor piercing capabilities and something like 250 damage a shot. Plain 185~ damage and 54 rounds, same slowass reload for it. Melee also looked the same, no description text for gimmicks or adjusted values or whatever. Almost everything else looked the same.
Skills were also entirely the same. Nothing about melee weapons scoring headshots or ricocheting bullets or more poison damage like in the google document. I ran the same exact build I always do in normal payday, only with a buzzsaw LMG and a MA-17 flamethrower with the extra ammo attachment

I did notice BLT said that crackdown was out of date, and I tried to update it ingame to see what would happen, but it said the update failed. And it took like 5 minutes of a frozen game when I clicked it, so I didn't try again and wanted to go to the action. So either my crackdown version is out of date for real and I don't have the balance overhaul in my folders, or its just not quite down yet, even though the high damage shotguns definitely changed in the inventory. Or it is out and working fine and I have the wrong version or something :v:

So anyway, into the good and cool stuff regardless with the gameplay

I saw one(1) fedora guard in the bank heist. I killed him instantly and his hat flew halfway across the room. Then another guard spotted me and he survived a frenzerker katana to the crotch and immediately opened fire at me, blowing stealth. Then the alarm triggered and the actual cops game. And holy poo poo, hostage rescue cops with more bronco cops in the first wave! And then the black/white vox cops coming in including the gasser!!! So the heist/enemy changes DO work! and they look pretty drat good

The by far biggest improvement is their AI, I think vox's ultimate goal here. And it shows. They took a bunch of alternate paths to try and flank me. They do about deathwish damage, maybe a little more, but ironman suit+maniac is actually viable. Or feels like it, instead of normal death sentence/OD being instagib mode. And the enemies are really drat aggressive too, they don't stare at walls or pretend you're not there. They're smarter and stronger, I like it. And they do flips and try to dodge shots, the cheeky cops. But encouraging mobility and good shotcalling on when to move out or what to kill first is a much better approach to balancing than having 333% more hp on enemies, and giving them laser weapons. And just being good at the game in general, obviously.

However, I think one of the main changes was for a quality over quantity approach at least in the design documents, like only having 50 maximum cops present at a time. But in my experience...there was more like 100 at least. A lot of them grouped up in the main room and by the vault door. Again, maybe it was on my end, or maybe the number of enemies was rolled over in a different version. But it wasn't necessarily bad, made it a lot more intense. Speaking of intense, the flashbacks are even more so, I am super happy for resilence ace :chanpop:

Shields are still just...shields. Nothing special to them.
Getting tazed sucks. The camera shake is way more violent and random when you're getting shocked, but that's fine. You can still fight back depending on the weapon and where the taser is in relation to you. They're more threatening and not an instant reload, which is nice.
Snipers don't have outlines when shouted at. I like that. But it seemed like at some points every sniper position was filled up, so that was a little annoying.
Medics having the aoe heal, a revolver, but garbage health is really interesting. More threatening than the tasers if they're protected by their buddies, or you don't have good crowd control weapons.
Gassers were probably the biggest change, and prioritizing tactically moving around instead of idling in a corner due to the teargas function. A very welcome change that I wish overkill properly implemented instead of being a rare sight with turrets.
Now the Cloakers... I couldn't tell if Cloakers were more terrifying or just more annoying. I like how they will down players and immediately move on to find another one, and that fire doesn't interrupt their charge, but it seems like they charge or kick a little too much? At least when I was playing bots, I guess the point is encouraging other people covering the downed guy and being skilled in general, but cloaker chain incapacitations were very common, and probably annoyingly so.

And even with all that...the MA-17 flamethrower felt incredibly gamebreaking. Apparently fire damage got buffed a fuckton, it is now properly affected by berserker, or it was supposed to have more ammo limitations than up to 1750 ammo but something's screwed up on my end. The fire couldn't stop charging cloakers, but just spraying it even with the low temp mix (more ammo, less damage per fire particle) and backpeddling would kill them in about 3 seconds. In fact, it would kill everything but dozers in about 3 seconds tops with continuous spray. It was already super strong in the basegame despite nobody ever using it, but here it's even more so.

I did go down a couple times, more nervously than normal deathwish, but thats why doc bags exist. And no assets are available on crackdown as well, I don't have an issue with that.

It was different, yeah. But really drat good with what was changed and how the enemies got tweaked, much better than death sentence/one down. It's more like deathwish+, taking almost all the steps in the right direction. Again, I don't know if the weapon and skill overhauls are working right or if they're even finished in the first place, but I got through smoothly with the vanilla options.

tl;dr enemy changes are good and cool, but the weapon balancing seems to be half-baked and any skill overhauls were non-existent. At least on my end with my current experience, knowledge, and exposure. Also :flame: fire GOOD :flame:

VVVVVVV Ah, good to know. Enemy stuff is still pretty good, though.

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 25, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Total Crackdown (aka anything player-side) is at something like 5% completion. We're trickling in the weapon changes as time permits and very few skills and zero perk decks are implemented.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

EorayMel posted:

:siren: Enormous monolith of a post coming about my first taste of crackdown, returning Vox's favor :siren:

Thank you very much for the feedback!

• The master and Plan Z files should be identical- you only need one of them.
  • The autoupdate doesn't work- Crackdown is too big for it to function. We're going to have to disable it and go to a new versioning approach in the next update.
  • Shields are largely unchanged other than some improvements to their turning behavior (more base game bugfixes), but on higher difficulties, they are specifically used as escorts for really nasty enemy teams.
  • Snipers should still get outlines- they have, instead, swapped rifles and have tracers instead of lasers. I'll mention it to the team.
  • The max cops on CD difficulty with 4 players is 48 (in practice, about 52) - we can't go lower because of all the much larger maps that came out later in development. We've got the number tailored per difficulty and per number of players. Do note that all difficulties have their own rebalances now, not just the top one!
  • We've not messed with the flamethrower, the DoT in the base game is completely borked by bad balance decisions. What I did to try to compensate a bit was give turrets and dozers significant fire resistance.
  • There are some other surprises involving the turrets and the Gensec Sentinels (the G-man guards) that I won't spoil...and the other Crackdown edited heists each have much nastier twists...

I am especially proud of our working Holdout mode, which now progresses based on number of kills, not time. You start wave 1 on Normal difficulty (which is not quite a cakewalk). Difficulty and enemy teams change and intensify through wave 9, which is Crackdown difficulty. The coding it took to get that functioning was unreal.

I owe a huge debt to a whole team of very talented coders who have been relentlessly rebuilding almost every single one of the game's systems, as almost every single one of the game's systems is irredeemably hosed in the codebase. I am used to modders going too far and needlessly reprogramming things to their specifications; not the case here. The game spends huge amounts of processor power on AI subsystems that it doesn't cancel properly, and almost all of the intended functions (like enemy targeting, pathing, dodging, task ordering) are malfunctioning due to problems that were sometimes in the game since launch.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 25, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

:siren: The Scarface Pack is going away :siren:

Presumably for licensing reasons, the Scarface character pack will no longer be available for purchase at the end of this month. People who have the pack already will still be able to purchase it. OVK are heavily discounting it in the interim.

I have no idea how they hosed up the agreement badly enough to make this happen, but it is a particularly good DLC.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/548422/PAYDAY_2_Scarface_Character_Pack/

$1.39 is a steal.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

Presumably for licensing reasons, the Scarface character pack will no longer be available for purchase at the end of this month. People who have the pack already will still be able to purchase it. OVK are heavily discounting it in the interim.

I have no idea how they hosed up the agreement badly enough to make this happen, but it is a particularly good DLC.

$1.39 is a steal.

But...But why when it was perfectly fine 3-4 years ago :psyduck:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

$1.39 is a steal.

This isn't even necessarily a hosed up agreement. There used to be a game called Alpha Protocol that's simply no longer available because the music licensing expired and one party wouldn't renew it - if you don't already own that game, your options are to either pirate it or watch an LP. It ain't coming back.

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
Considering their recent financial issues it's probably not economical to renew the license for Scarface. Shadowrun Chronicles had to shut down after their license expired because they weren't making enough money to keep the servers running and renew the license with Microsoft. They've been trying to get MS to agree to a deal to let the servers operate from a video game museum without having to run a license but it's been slow going.

The real concern I think would be with Lionsgate Entertainment and the John Wick franchise since that's multiple dlc for payday. But that's probably better financially for them to help keep the license going.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Apparently surefire ace for body armor penetration and body expertise for headshot damage on the body works with bows.

Including the 2000 damage english longbow and the free deca bow that can have a scope attachment :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hello Payday thread:

https://twitter.com/PAYDAYGame/status/1312356279596220416

Can't wait.