Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

It makes sense to install new front brake pads while I'm replacing the brake lines, right?

I mean you'd use less fluid overall if you're taking the chance to push the pistons back at the same time you've got the lines off I guess. It really makes no difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Like, I want to replace the brake lines bc I don't think it's ever been done on this bike, and I am also planning on replacing the pads since they're getting a bit low and they may be the stock pads and I want to get a more track-focused compound. So I am planning on doing both anyway.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Oh then yeah, definitely do both at once.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Just make sure to replace the pads after you've done the lines, in case you get fluid on them.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Just because he snapped the heads off doesn't mean he can't use the part he snapped off. In fact, Slavvy says he snaps the heads off and uses those.

He is far across the pond, he's practically Australian.

*edit*
This reminds of that famous bodybuilding.com thread

The Dumbest Boy Alive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Quick question: When I leave my bike in the garage I can smell fuel after a day or two and if I don't ride it for a week the fuel level will go down. It's a 2001 FZS600 Fazer which is carbed so I'm guessing it's something like a stuck float - time for a carb clean and rebuild kit?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If it’s enough that the fuel level drops you should find where it’s going first and then fix whatever problem leads to that.

I can’t imagine the fuel level dropping and you not seeing a pool of gas somewhere. That’s a lot of fuel.

If it’s stuck floats, that fuel should be winding up in either the airbox or the cylinders/crankcase

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
If the fuel level is noticably going down, I'd be worried about a fire risk, that fuel has to be going somewhere it is not supposed to be.

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Thanks for the reply. I only got the bike recently and the PO had left it covered outdoors for 2 years before, so it was a bit rough and needed a good clean & lube when I got it home. When I had a test ride it didnt want to rev much at all but it felt so much like gunked up carbs that I brought it anyway. It turned out that just with some new fuel they cleared up and it runs lovely now.
My garage has a wooden/chipboard floor and I havent seen anything pooling underneath, but on the side of the 'downhill when the bike is on its sidestand' carb there is a mark that looks like fuel has been evaporating off of it. My office space is part of the garage so I can smell the fuel easily, at the moment Ive got the fuel tap under the tank turned off and theres no trace of the smell. Its just had to stay outside for about 10 days while I was waiting for a replacement wheel, I didnt have the tap turned off and it was quite hot here, I reckon about 1/4 tank disappeared during that time..

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If it’s stuck floats, that fuel should be winding up in either the airbox or the cylinders/crankcase

I don't think this is true. From googling around it looks like an FZS600 has the standard rack of sidedraft carburetors with float bowls underneath, and in every carb I've seen of that design there is an overflow valve that just drips fuel out the bottom when the floats are stuck or set too high. If the overflow is clogged too then sure, it could end up running back and forth in the intake tract, yeah.

If 1/4 tank of gas (so that's what, like a gallon?) is disappearing over the course of 10 days it's definitely leaking. It's proooobably just a stuck float in one of the carbs so fortunately you shouldn't have to unrack anything. Just open up the bottoms of each one and clean and replace all the float valves. If one is stuck, the others are probably getting close to that point too.

Also get in the habit of turning off your fuel every time you park.

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Thanks again for the info. Yeah, it's just a standard 4 carb setup like my old R6 or ZX6R, apparently a bit of a bugger to get the carbs out around the frame but it'll give me something to do! I would use the tap more but it's actually under the tank and you have to unbolt and lift the tank to get to it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

MomJeans420 posted:

FWIW I've switched from Supercorsas on the Daytona to Dunlop Q3+ because it's my do everything bike and I do long trips in the rain sometimes, but I was 100% set at putting on Supercorsa V3 on my project bike except they weren't made in the right size. I almost did Battlax RS10s on the project bike, but did Battlax S22s because my mountain roads get cold.
I was riding around on the Michelin Power RS today and I have to say that modern tires are like magic. So so sticky and quite quick to warm up. The idea that the new more road oriented Power 5 are even grippier in the wet while matching the dry performance is amazing to me. Can't wait to try out the successor Power GP to the RS.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 23, 2020

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Can anybody recommend a good seat pad/cushion solution? I can manage an hour, maybe hour and a half before my butthurt becomes so distracting that I'm not enjoying myself anymore.

I tried putting some extra foam I had from an old couch cushion, but it's just not helping.

I've seen a few advertised on Amazon, anybody have experience with a certain brand or shape?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

ride a pedal bike and htfu is my suggestion

the boomers on ADVrider will suggest airhawks and sheepskins and other Lame poo poo though :D

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
90 minutes is a decent time to take a break anyway, even in a car. Fatigue is a bitch and it will sneak up on you.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Probably very bike dependent. I did nothing for my DRZ so now most stock seats feel fine. My KLR’s lowered seat felt great but that was a custom thing, and now I’m running the stock with that Coleman seat pad that all the dad’s love and I feel generally fine.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

How am I the first person to say bead seat? CA has gone downhill.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Because bead seats kinda suck. Not as much as airhawks. Never buy one of those. Nice and cushy but the air keeps moving around and shifting your weight all over the place.

Just get a corbin or seat concepts replacement seat, and understand that riding more will harden you up.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I rode coast to coast on a KLR with just a bead seat. Worked fine for me, still does. NYC taxi drivers know whats up.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Beadriders are awesome.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

Because bead seats kinda suck. Not as much as airhawks. Never buy one of those. Nice and cushy but the air keeps moving around and shifting your weight all over the place.

Just get a corbin or seat concepts replacement seat, and understand that riding more will harden you up.

Or get a bead seat for $12 off amazon and see if you like it. Corbins are expensive.

I will say if your seat is mostly comfortable, a bead seat may push it over the edge into comfort. You won’t be working miracles with beads over a dirtbike seat.

I have two of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW7PURZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UWWqFbGG562KG

They seem to be clones of the bead rider. One is on the Goldwing and one on my RV90 and they are both fantastic especially for the price

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 24, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
bead seats are mostly for not getting swampass, not for increasing comfort really

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

One thing they do on dual sport/dirt bike seats, is make it about 2” wider and round off the corner a bit, which is a pretty big improvement over most stock seats.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I have to admit I do not own and have never owned a bead seat. I have had two Seat Concepts seats and they are great.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
eagerly awaiting my seat concepts seat for my fe501, their backlog is 30 days at this point arrrggg

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Or get a bead seat for $12 off amazon and see if you like it. Corbins are expensive.

I did years ago that's why I'm such an authority.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Scrape the foam out of your seat and replace it with epoxy. HTFU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

gileadexile posted:

Can anybody recommend a good seat pad/cushion solution? I can manage an hour, maybe hour and a half before my butthurt becomes so distracting that I'm not enjoying myself anymore.

I tried putting some extra foam I had from an old couch cushion, but it's just not helping.

I've seen a few advertised on Amazon, anybody have experience with a certain brand or shape?

Get a loving beadseat.

Here is a picture of my motorcycle after riding over 5000 miles in comfort.

Despite what Razzled said, bead seats combat both swamp-rear end and rear end-fatigue, the little beads spend each day tirelessly massaging your buttocks 13,587 Cab Drivers can't be wrong.

These are hard numbers on the state of your rear end, which no one else has provided, always prefer objectivity over subjectivity, SMDH.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

gileadexile posted:

My dad swears by so-called moto-skiveez, way cheaper than an airhawk and still Dad Approved.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'll be moving cross-country in the next month or two and I need to figure out how to get the motorcycle along for the ride.

My first thought is putting it in the box truck with the rest of my apartment crap, so I'd just need to know how to tie it down properly inside. But what if there's a better way? Never done this before.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

FBS posted:

I'll be moving cross-country in the next month or two and I need to figure out how to get the motorcycle along for the ride.

My first thought is putting it in the box truck with the rest of my apartment crap, so I'd just need to know how to tie it down properly inside. But what if there's a better way? Never done this before.

I moved a bike in a Budget box truck once. There were no lash points on the floor, just a wooden rail about 6" up running around the perimeter and then another one at breast height. I centered the bike up and tied off from the bars to the bottom rail, breaking a section of it in the process. Then I ran a tiedown across the swingarm through the wheel and tied into the bottom rail again, and then packed poo poo in all around the bike. I wrapped the whole bike up in a tarp to keep any fuel spills contained because the box truck rental expressly said "No ICE vehicles inside." The bike was pretty well wrecked anyway, so I wasn't too concerned about it, more so about damage to my other stuff and the inside of the box. It made the trip just fine, but was way less than ideal for a nice bike.

So 5/10, would not repeat if I could avoid it. If I had to, I'd probably build some kind of front wheel/frame cradle that could be secured to the inside of the box truck out of 2x4s. Or I'd try harder and find a truck with beefy lash points on the floor.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FBS posted:

Uhaul motorcycle trailers are surprisingly decent and not crazy expensive to rent. If your box truck has a hitch you can pull the bike along behind you, assuming you're not already pulling a car trailer.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Yeah I was guessing I couldn't expect floor tie-downs. Thinking about buying a wheel chock and bolting it to a big wide hunk of wood or something to keep the bike upright.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I used a UHaul to recover move my KLR once.

The inside of the truck looks like this:

I just leaned it against the front wall and strapped it to the wood rails on that wall.

You could probably put a blanket between the wall and the bike to prevent scratching but KLR don't mind.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

Uhaul motorcycle trailers are surprisingly decent and not crazy expensive to rent. If your box truck has a hitch you can pull the bike along behind you, assuming you're not already pulling a car trailer.

I have very little knowledge about transporting bikes and I found the uhaul trailer to be surprisingly easy, I just bought some Canyon Dancers and extra ratchet straps before picking up the trailer. Only $15/day, but I did have to call and bitch at them to remove the insurance that magically kept on getting added on to my rental (I said no insurance three different times).

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

RadioPassive posted:

I used a UHaul to recover move my KLR once.

The inside of the truck looks like this:

I just leaned it against the front wall and strapped it to the wood rails on that wall.

You could probably put a blanket between the wall and the bike to prevent scratching but KLR don't mind.

Yeah during the absolute worst day of my life I had to tie my DRZ up to these wooden rails and drive a Penske box truck from New Mexico to Michigan. Braces properly it should be absolutely fine, and if you have fairings or aesthetics that are important you can brace with blankets. The actual hardest part is getting it up the ramp, maybe. Good ratchet straps make it super easy.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
If you’re gonna put it in the box truck here’s the best way I’ve found. Assuming you don’t have a center stand. If you do I wouldn’t use it anyway. Put the bike all the way up front and on the passenger side of the box. You’re putting it up front so you can put it in gear and jam the front wheel against the front of the box so it can’t move forward. You’re putting it on the passenger side because it’s unlikely to tip towards the kick stand and can’t tip towards the wall. Now just ratchet strap the thing keeping in mind that if you just put your straps in the middle of the wood it will likely slip so make sure your in a “corner” where the wood is attached to the metal or the box. You’ll see if I’m not explaining it well enough. Try and go from highest to lowest, as in highest point on the bike that you feel comfortable strapping to and then to the lowest point in the truck. You want two straps on the front of course pulling against each other to make the bike as sturdy as possible. I’ve done this and then ran a third strap from one side wall to the bike and wrapped around the rear luggage rack or somewhere on the rear that’s not gonna get damaged and then continued on to the other wall with one single strap. Take your time and think it through and don’t torque the ratchet straps so tight you break the wood. With a center stand it’s basically the same but I’d probably just use the side stand. If you aren’t comfortable with this you could buy a wheel chock and temporarily screw it into the floor. You’d probably get away with it if you used small enough screws and cleaned up the shavings. Then just drive easy, turn wide and brake early. You’ll be fine.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I used to move furniture in trucks like that, and yeah, anything of any shape it's just get it against the wall (or a wall you've made out of other stuff), heavy blankets or pads between it and everything else, and strap it to the rails or the load, depending. We never had ratchets, just used straps and truckies hitches. Fill the voids with more pads. The goal is that nothing should be able to slide or fall once the load's complete, even if every last strap breaks, because everything holds everything else in place.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 25, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Move all your stuff in the box truck. Fly back, ride the bike to your new place. Free not free motorcycle road trip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HELP

What's the best kind of adhesive vinyl to use on dirtbike plastics?