Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
a lot (all? some?) of those gig jobs don't fully fund payroll taxes like a normal full time position, so uncle sam may still not have gotten his full cut of your meager earnings. make sure you don't get surprised next tax season, it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Every person that I know who works gig jobs says that they are minimum making $10 an hour before taxes and expenses come in or they are not doing that job. If this is something you are seriously considering I would look into subreddits on how to make money using your app of choice, because $4 and hour is meager even for gig work. I know a lot of people double or triple up their gigs, doing deliveries between Uber/Lyft rides etc. Seriously look into other sites that describe how to hustle a little better than that.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I. M. Gei posted:

My last full-time job lasted a month and a half and ended in July 2018. And my work history even before that is......... let's just say "thin".

Especially with all this pandemic poo poo going on, my cup don't exactly runneth over with options right now.

I know you can do better than that. I get it that things kinda suck right now and jobs are, well, scarce to say the least, but you can do better than 4 bucks an hour. I'm sure you're worth more than that. I mean unless you're a nazi or something. Any delivery job should be better where you can get tips or something. Don't stop where you're at and keep looking please.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Every person that I know who works gig jobs says that they are minimum making $10 an hour before taxes and expenses come in or they are not doing that job. If this is something you are seriously considering I would look into subreddits on how to make money using your app of choice, because $4 and hour is meager even for gig work. I know a lot of people double or triple up their gigs, doing deliveries between Uber/Lyft rides etc. Seriously look into other sites that describe how to hustle a little better than that.

This makes me depressed. :(

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Have you tried going on your pc and learning a skill then getting a job based on that?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I can't find it right now, but my Google News Feed thing morning had an article about the rise in people being full-time employed taking product or interest surveys. The people going hard at it had giant Excel spreadsheets that tracked ROI from different apps or from surveys from different companies. If you start digging into the world of gig work you discover that people are usually putting a lot of energy into min/maxing it to make it worth their time. That's why my friend who thought he was going to make some nice bucks charging "Bird" electric scooters discovered that literally every scooter across the city was already picked up by the time he hopped into his truck. People had figured out that they could just lock the scooters in their garage during the day, and when night rolled around they would be the first people to "claim" those scooters.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anonymous Zebra posted:

People had figured out that they could just lock the scooters in their garage during the day, and when night rolled around they would be the first people to "claim" those scooters.

Lmao this rules, they'll probably fix this quick though

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
People here sublet their food delivery gigs to undocumented immigrants who go around on rental bikes, it's very good.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I can't find it right now, but my Google News Feed thing morning had an article about the rise in people being full-time employed taking product or interest surveys. The people going hard at it had giant Excel spreadsheets that tracked ROI from different apps or from surveys from different companies. If you start digging into the world of gig work you discover that people are usually putting a lot of energy into min/maxing it to make it worth their time. That's why my friend who thought he was going to make some nice bucks charging "Bird" electric scooters discovered that literally every scooter across the city was already picked up by the time he hopped into his truck. People had figured out that they could just lock the scooters in their garage during the day, and when night rolled around they would be the first people to "claim" those scooters.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

unpacked robinhood posted:

People here sublet their food delivery gigs to undocumented immigrants who go around on rental bikes, it's very good.

We must be very close to delivering delivery personnel to each other. I've met people that rented a car out for someone else to work uber with. There is at least one company leasing cars to be rented out for someone else to use for uber. Doubtless, there is a company selling people's labor to operate the cars leased out for someone else to drive for uber. Uber-boros.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The delivery gig economy is hosed in a lot of ways, Australia actually had to change its laws to redefine what an "employee" was because there were so many delivery companies hiring drivers as 'independent contractors' and sidestepping a whole bunch of regulations which would have otherwise protected them

dk2m
May 6, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

We must be very close to delivering delivery personnel to each other. I've met people that rented a car out for someone else to work uber with. There is at least one company leasing cars to be rented out for someone else to use for uber. Doubtless, there is a company selling people's labor to operate the cars leased out for someone else to drive for uber. Uber-boros.

i met someone that has a fleet of teslas that rents out to just uber drivers. it’s a weird way to make a living but it’s not exactly like this dude was rolling in the dough either, he ended up ubering his own car to make ends meet.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Saros posted:

So you made about four dollars an hour without even accounting for wear and tear on your vehicle and any other extraneous costs.

It really doesn't seem worth it tbh.

that’s basically the whole scam. they allow desperate people to extract value from their car in the form of wear and tear for money now

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

My last full-time job lasted a month and a half and ended in July 2018. And my work history even before that is......... let's just say "thin".

Especially with all this pandemic poo poo going on, my cup don't exactly runneth over with options right now.

Nitr0 posted:

Have you tried going on your pc and learning a skill then getting a job based on that?

If you can reasonably talk to people, a lot of call centers are fully remote for now and hiring entry level people. Stressful work, but at least the pay should be better and more consistent.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you can reasonably talk to people, a lot of call centers are fully remote for now and hiring entry level people. Stressful work, but at least the pay should be better and more consistent.
Also, no covid exposure.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/amyliz_76/status/1298248443773825024

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

so you went from posting tweets of the covid hype guy to posting tweets of some rando quoting the covid hype guy

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Inept posted:

so you went from posting tweets of the covid hype guy to posting tweets of some rando quoting the covid hype guy
when i asked for serious criticism of him you didn't have any, also she's not a rando

anyhow, let me know when you've an issue with the content of the message, i don't care about your tone policing. i get enough of that from american rightwingers.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

If Nick Saban dies from COVID-19, the state of Alabama is gonna flip blue so hard

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I. M. Gei posted:

It's not great but come drive for Fedex or UPS or the Post Office. All are busy as hell right now and I can speak from experience that we're basically hiring people off the street at Fedex as long as you have a driver's license and haven't been in a major accident in the last 5 years.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Mithaldu posted:

when i asked for serious criticism of him you didn't have any, also she's not a rando

anyhow, let me know when you've an issue with the content of the message, i don't care about your tone policing. i get enough of that from american rightwingers.

his tweets are annoying and suck. that's my serious criticism of him. look at this poo poo

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1298069403758669826

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

see that's why i didn't retweet or even see that one. stick to the message, not to the messenger.

A Fancy Hat posted:

It's not great but come drive for Fedex or UPS or the Post Office. All are busy as hell right now and I can speak from experience that we're basically hiring people off the street at Fedex as long as you have a driver's license and haven't been in a major accident in the last 5 years.
the usps is hiring?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nitr0 posted:

no, and I’ll probably do that at some point regardless, but right now I’m specifically looking for quick and easy work that isn’t gonna fire me in <2 months, and this job is all 3

look I’m not saying it’s a GOOD job, or even a real job, but it pays slightly more than $0 and gets me out of the house, so that’s something. plus it’s not like I’m planning to do it for longer than a few months anyway; I’m pretty much only doing it to make some quick cash for a ~$6K purchase and that’s it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mithaldu posted:

the usps is hiring?

The postal service is always hiring.

It might not be around in a few months, but they've been hiring local to me since I moved to Colorado. Also a bunch of support positions like vehicle and equipment maintenance.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 25, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

if you can fit it in alongside, learning another language and then doing translation jobs is low income and unstable, but you'll always be able to find new work

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The postal service is always hiring.
dang, with the recent news i somewhat expected they'd be reducing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t get the hate for Eric Feigl‐Ding.

“Science educators” get put in front of cameras all the time. I’d prefer always having experts speaking in their field, but we could do much worse.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

A Fancy Hat posted:

It's not great but come drive for the Post Office.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

see that's why i didn't retweet or even see that one. stick to the message, not to the messenger.

the usps is hiring?

Why the need to post the messenger, though? His tweets are almost always hype based on some article; just post the article, not the tweet. His tweets add nothing; they're just white noise.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dk2m posted:

i met someone that has a fleet of teslas that rents out to just uber drivers. it’s a weird way to make a living but it’s not exactly like this dude was rolling in the dough either, he ended up ubering his own car to make ends meet.

That seems like an incredibly bad idea based on Uber or Lyft cancelling their own leasing program, because cars used for that purpose just get absolutely thrashed in record times.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

look I’m not saying it’s a GOOD job, or even a real job, but it...gets me out of the house

Not something you really should be looking for these days

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

That seems like an incredibly bad idea based on Uber or Lyft cancelling their own leasing program, because cars used for that purpose just get absolutely thrashed in record times.

I have a dipshit 'entrepreneur' 'friend' from hs (not really friends anymore) who would lease fleets of cars and then just put them on turo. He wouldn't even get insurance for them, so in between turo uses they were completely uninsured.

He once told the leasing manager at a subaru dealership just what he was up to, and they first told him 'don't ever tell us that again' and then told him 'how many would you like?'

He also did the same with airbnb condos. He's now horribly in debt and trying to middleman PPE. So a typical American.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The dick sucking factory is always hiring.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just learn a new language IM GEI

dk2m
May 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

not to mention the liability. apparently someone got in an accident in one of his cars, abandoned it and since the registration belonged to him, he was on the hook for repairs. this was not uncommon because it was mostly people that didn’t have their own car that did this to begin with

he is one of those ultra true-believers in musk that thinks that teslas will actually increase in value once they can drive themselves so make of that what you will

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I have a dipshit 'entrepreneur' 'friend' from hs (not really friends anymore) who would lease fleets of cars and then just put them on turo. He wouldn't even get insurance for them, so in between turo uses they were completely uninsured.

He once told the leasing manager at a subaru dealership just what he was up to, and they first told him 'don't ever tell us that again' and then told him 'how many would you like?'

He also did the same with airbnb condos. He's now horribly in debt and trying to middleman PPE. So a typical American.

So much of our economy has become an ouroboros of idiots trying to middle man poo poo instead of trying to actually build anything

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'm doing covid contact tracing and it only required a high school degree lol. It pays better than my old library job and they gave us a shiny new iphone XR as a workphone. I think its because of FEMA money but I dunno.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PIZZA.BAT posted:

So much of our economy has become an ouroboros of idiots trying to middle man poo poo instead of trying to actually build anything

Unironically, creating real, tangible value in the modern world is the domain of the stupid, the desperate, or the rare flower doing it for the art instead of the money

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Not Appearing posted:

The dick sucking factory is always hiring.

They asked me why there was a one year gap in my resume and I told them I took a year off to suck my own dick but they didn't buy it. :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They asked me why there was a one year gap in my resume and I told them I took a year off to suck my own dick but they didn't buy it. :(

I wouldn’t hire Steve Bannon either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I.M. GEI you've driven for Instacart before and you know goddamn well it isn't worth it. the gently caress are you doing and why would you post this