Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

One day I threw on Om's God is Good and all of a sudden my high-strung cat melted like butter in my hands, even managing to fall asleep with his head buried in the palm of my hand. It was a good excuse to grab another Om record.

I've never seen him so chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Turbinosamente posted:

Today I listened to many many albums while I cleaned out the basement. Everything from Judas Priest (awesome) to Steppenwolf (disappointing actually) to even some of my own Chuck Mangione records (who still sounds like Eastman School of Music brand jazz wank to me) to Uriah Heep (which was fine). But there's nothing quite like an awful electronic record:

Really makes you appreciate the Mort Garsons and Yellow Magic Orchestras of the world. It's one from the early days of synthesizers and it falls into the trap some early synth stuff does which is they demo all the weird sounds it can do, but forget to make music with it. So you get musicians on "real" instruments with science fiction computer beeping over it. Or what sounds like a Casio demo loop to modern ears. Completely awful but I couldn't help smiling at the ridiculousness of it. Here's a random track, decide for yourself if I'm way off base or not.

So what did you guys listen to tonight?

My copy of the Melvins Electroretard arrived so I gave that a few spins. The 'nick and dent' ended up being a tiny dent in the corner that I would never have noticed.

As far as Moog records I grabbed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ad5RNxLv4 a few months ago. It's how classical music will sound. IN THE FUTURE.

caligulamprey posted:

One day I threw on Om's God is Good and all of a sudden my high-strung cat melted like butter in my hands, even managing to fall asleep with his head buried in the palm of my hand. It was a good excuse to grab another Om record.

I've never seen him so chill.

I am gonna have to try on my cat.

Have you tried https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fPbyNqFVvU

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Did somebody say Moog?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKgrzTg7Ipc
My 3 year old legit loves this album or the bloop dee bloop songs as she calls them.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

sporklift posted:

Ugh. One of my gails. I've always been curious as to why it took so long to re issue this one. Wonder if there were rights issues or they couldn't find the masters?

I have no basis for assuming this, but I kind of chalked it up to a "in case of going broke, break glass" type of thing. Or maybe it took this long to figure out how many different packages they would need to optimally soak the fanbase for as much money as possible.

My discogs wantlist emails are absolutely stuffed with people trying to get rid of their OG pressings before they lose a bunch of value.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Turbinosamente posted:

Today I listened to many many albums while I cleaned out the basement. Everything from Judas Priest (awesome) to Steppenwolf (disappointing actually) to even some of my own Chuck Mangione records (who still sounds like Eastman School of Music brand jazz wank to me) to Uriah Heep (which was fine). But there's nothing quite like an awful electronic record:

Really makes you appreciate the Mort Garsons and Yellow Magic Orchestras of the world. It's one from the early days of synthesizers and it falls into the trap some early synth stuff does which is they demo all the weird sounds it can do, but forget to make music with it. So you get musicians on "real" instruments with science fiction computer beeping over it. Or what sounds like a Casio demo loop to modern ears. Completely awful but I couldn't help smiling at the ridiculousness of it. Here's a random track, decide for yourself if I'm way off base or not.

So what did you guys listen to tonight?

Dick Hyman was the composer on the Cher movie with nic cage. That is all I know about him

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Barry posted:

I have no basis for assuming this, but I kind of chalked it up to a "in case of going broke, break glass" type of thing. Or maybe it took this long to figure out how many different packages they would need to optimally soak the fanbase for as much money as possible.

My discogs wantlist emails are absolutely stuffed with people trying to get rid of their OG pressings before they lose a bunch of value.

Is there any way to filter discogs want list notifications so they don't spam you with the same three listings you've already seen 90 times?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Barry posted:

Yeah. I dunno. Seems to be more than that because they have put other stuff out. Petty had kinda said some stuff about getting it re issued before his death. Maybe he was gonna re create the original double album track list. So glad those $300 OG copies are gonna tank in price. No record is worth that much.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Yeah. I dunno. Seems to be more than that because they have put other stuff out. Petty had kinda said some stuff about getting it re issued before his death. Maybe he was gonna re create the original double album track list. So glad those $300 OG copies are gonna tank in price. No record is worth that much.

At this point I just assume everyone buying records with three digit prices are Saudi princes or some poo poo.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Dick Hyman was the composer on the Cher movie with nic cage. That is all I know about him

His moog cover of James Brown's Give it up, turn it loose is legit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyW_VkOTo2k

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Barry posted:

Given how Pretty has songs like American Girl, Free Falling, I Won't Back Down, Don't Do Me Like That, and many others, I don't think there's a chance that they aren't making money.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

CPL593H posted:

Used stereo receivers are pretty cheap and you can even find them in thrift stores for like 20 bucks. Though I don't know about going in a thrift store now or if they're even open in your area. But just look for something with a phono input. Even if it kinda sucks you can always upgrade later. The AT-LP120X can be plugged into all kinds of poo poo though because it has a preamp, but it has a USB port so it can be used with various modern devices. I would strongly recommend that over the Sony turntable. There's a reason the Audio Technica AT-LP120 has become ubiquitous. Now that said, take a look at what your parents have and google that poo poo because you might be unknowingly sitting on gold. If it's a Technics 1200 or pretty much anything that's a Thorens* you've got something really good.

*I'm sure Thorens made some shittier models but generally the name is a mark of quality and many of them are highly sought after. The Technics 1200 series was the basis for the AT-LP120 and is a better version of it. It's also highly sought after even though there are many of them out there. They were the industry standard for decades.

Apparently it is a Thorens. My mom's not sure but thinks it's a TD-145. It's buried somewhere so she has to find it, but if that's true and it works, I'm looking at the general asking prices online and uhh, I think I'm going to try to use that instead of buying a new one.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

z0331 posted:

Apparently it is a Thorens. My mom's not sure but thinks it's a TD-145. It's buried somewhere so she has to find it, but if that's true and it works, I'm looking at the general asking prices online and uhh, I think I'm going to try to use that instead of buying a new one.

You did good, kid. Make sure you balance the tone arm correctly and align the cartridge. If you don't want to buy the tools for this find someone who can do it for you. I have this thing for balancing the tracking force:

https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/shure-sfg-2-stylus-force-gauge

There are cheaper options. I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of digital ones that are inexpensive.

I don't remember paying anywhere near that amount of money so I'm thinking the thing probably doubled in price since I got it. It works really well though. The thing to align the cartridge is called a protractor. They come in a whole variety of prices. The fancy pants Mobile Fidelity one costs like 50 bucks but you can find something that works alright for way less. This one is ten bucks. It's what I have. There are a whole variety of ones like it which are inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Turntable-Phonograph-Cartridge-Protractor-Separately/dp/B079ZBLJ4M

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Cemetry Gator posted:

Given how Pretty has songs like American Girl, Free Falling, I Won't Back Down, Don't Do Me Like That, and many others, I don't think there's a chance that they aren't making money.

Maybe they've been spending it faster than it was coming in after no more touring or other income. Who knows.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

BigFactory posted:

Any of the major name consumer record players from the 70s are going to be pretty solid. Doesn’t need to be a 1200. Regular consumer Technics were well built machines that are frankly are a lot better built than that light plastic Sony deck (without some of the bells and whistles, but with some others). Kenwood, Pioneer, Sansui, even older Sony’s, probably (although I’ve never seen one). You can find Duals affordably sometimes also, but if it’s cheap it might have problems. Like you said, Thorens, AR, Etc are great but usually expensive too. Or broken.

Older Sony turntables are built like tanks! I have a ps-x50 and it’s really overbuilt and sounds great.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/carparkrecords/status/1298289248651694080?s=19

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

God speed everyone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm so glad they're doing open preorders.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
Woke up to news that High On Fire was running a 10$ vinyl sale. Immediately went to the website and added the albums I wanted to my cart, but I hadn't even gotten out of bed yet and I was like "alright, i'll order these when I'm havin my coffee."

Fast forward an hour and I go to order the records and they are all sold out. Dammit that would have been a nice deal to get a few albums I wanted. :fuckoff:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ooofa, I could have used all of those records. $10 is a steal.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Anyone gonna do the first Record Store Day Drop on Saturday? Only thing that stood out for me was a new reissue of the Nat Turner Rebellion album... I don't usually double dip, but I've found myself heavily invested in that band ever since their VMP release last year.

September though, I'm gonna have to find a way to get to the front of the (virtual) line so I can cop Curren$y's Pilot Talk.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Ooofa, I could have used all of those records. $10 is a steal.

Yeah, I'm annoyed right now. Why didn't I just click BUY?! Ugh.

In good news my new subwoofer just showed up. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-628

Very excited to start listening with it and dialing it in. After extensive research this seemed like the best bang for the buck for me. I'll probably shell out on a nicer woofer when I have a bigger/dedicated listening room, and no toddlers running around looking to stick their hands through speakers.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Ballz posted:

Anyone gonna do the first Record Store Day Drop on Saturday? Only thing that stood out for me was a new reissue of the Nat Turner Rebellion album... I don't usually double dip, but I've found myself heavily invested in that band ever since their VMP release last year.

September though, I'm gonna have to find a way to get to the front of the (virtual) line so I can cop Curren$y's Pilot Talk.

I'm going for the Galaxie 500 live album, possibly the New Order peel sessions, and the John Prine box set if it's still around.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Are they allowing online sales of RSD stuff this year? I really want that pressing of Resident Alien out of the August drops, but lining up with a ton of other people isn't exactly at the top of my "yeah this is a good idea" list.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Ballz posted:

What's different about the Nat Turner Rebellion reissue? Just the cover?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

esperantinc posted:

Are they allowing online sales of RSD stuff this year? I really want that pressing of Resident Alien out of the August drops, but lining up with a ton of other people isn't exactly at the top of my "yeah this is a good idea" list.

My shop is doing time slots you have to reserve in advance, they're only letting people in 5 at a time, and they're sanitizing the space between parties. I'm booked for 7-7:20 on Saturday so hopefully they still have what I want.

Their info page about it even says "Please do not show up more than 5 minutes in advance for your appointment. Early arrivals do not equal early entry and we will ask that you return to your car or wait elsewhere if you arrive too early." so that's rad.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

My shop is doing time slots you have to reserve in advance, they're only letting people in 5 at a time, and they're sanitizing the space between parties. I'm booked for 7-7:20 on Saturday so hopefully they still have what I want.

Their info page about it even says "Please do not show up more than 5 minutes in advance for your appointment. Early arrivals do not equal early entry and we will ask that you return to your car or wait elsewhere if you arrive too early." so that's rad.

Sadly my go to shop is still doing "line up en masse, you can still browse RSD stuff if you want" which sorta doesn't jive for me. They're also letting people in line have lists for them to pack up, but just the whole mass of humanity in line just isn't my scene at this point.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

esperantinc posted:

Sadly my go to shop is still doing "line up en masse, you can still browse RSD stuff if you want" which sorta doesn't jive for me. They're also letting people in line have lists for them to pack up, but just the whole mass of humanity in line just isn't my scene at this point.

DM me if you want me to try to snag one for you. They're limiting to 1 per release per person but I'm not interested in that one.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

DM me if you want me to try to snag one for you. They're limiting to 1 per release per person but I'm not interested in that one.

Oh I might take you up on that, thanks! Gonna see if any of the other shops around town are doing anything with slots like yours is, but you may just end up with a PM from me in a day or two.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm going for the Galaxie 500 live album, possibly the New Order peel sessions, and the John Prine box set if it's still around.

If you don't manage to get the New Order EP there's alreayd an 80s pressing of it. I haven't heard the one they're reissuing for this occasion but I have the other one they did and it's really good. The versions of the songs they did for John Peel are even better than the album versions (that session was material from Movement). If this one they've reissued here is as good as the one I have then it's a must buy. The only stuff off the list I care about is the 1974 David Bowie live album and Door Door.

esperantinc posted:

Your best bet is to call whatever record store is doing the thing a head of time and see if they're going to sell poo poo on discogs or something. Of you can go with one of those jerkoffs who already listed a whole bunch of RSD poo poo a week ago with 100 dollar price tags for any given release.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I was at my record store yesterday, and besides them spray painting more line markers 6 feet apart on the ground they're going to keep the RSD stuff in their back lounge and hand out tickets and let 15 people in at a time for 15 minute intervals. I'm going for The Who Odds and Sods rerelease and consider it a dry run for September and the more limited/important Parish Hall.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Only thing from RSD I'm looking forward to is next months with the release of the Hackers OST with 3 unreleased score tracks on it

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Photex posted:

Only thing from RSD I'm looking forward to is next months with the release of the Hackers OST with 3 unreleased score tracks on it

:aaaaa:

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Finally took a moment to flip through the RSD drops on the website. There are 2 must haves for me, which will probably be snatched up before I get my hands on one.

Billie Eilish - Live at Third Man - I was gutted when this originally dropped and it was so limited. Billie is at her best when the music is stripped back. Luckily they are pressing 17000 copies of this, so even second hand shouldn't be too bad if I don't score it initially.

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny - Hoooooly poo poo, this album is so incredible and one of my all time favorites and I still haven't snatched a copy from discogs. Would really, really, love to get my hands on this release. Only 1500 copies of this, have a feeling its going to be highly sought after at the record stores that carry metal.

Guess I need to prepare for these drops =| I've never really gotten into the hype of record store day, but these releases have me very excited.. and nervous :sweatdrop:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

sporklift posted:

What's different about the Nat Turner Rebellion reissue? Just the cover?

As far as I can tell, yeah. Don't know if it'll have any new liner notes or anything like that. If you already have a copy it's probably not worth grabbing, but I've become a bit of a NTR completionist and I kind of like that new cover better than the original.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sacred Bones is reissuing a whole bunch of albums the Plantasia guy made. A few of them are spooky occult themed records.

Evil Bob posted:

Finally took a moment to flip through the RSD drops on the website. There are 2 must haves for me, which will probably be snatched up before I get my hands on one.

Billie Eilish - Live at Third Man - I was gutted when this originally dropped and it was so limited. Billie is at her best when the music is stripped back. Luckily they are pressing 17000 copies of this, so even second hand shouldn't be too bad if I don't score it initially.

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny - Hoooooly poo poo, this album is so incredible and one of my all time favorites and I still haven't snatched a copy from discogs. Would really, really, love to get my hands on this release. Only 1500 copies of this, have a feeling its going to be highly sought after at the record stores that carry metal.

Guess I need to prepare for these drops =| I've never really gotten into the hype of record store day, but these releases have me very excited.. and nervous :sweatdrop:

RSD lies about those pressing numbers to get people in the stores. They always turn out to be higher than what they tell you.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Sacred Bones is reissuing a whole bunch of albums the Plantasia guy made. A few of them are spooky occult themed records.

RSD lies about those pressing numbers to get people in the stores. They always turn out to be higher than what they tell you.

That gives a bit of hope. I'll just have to give the usual suspects for RSD metal records a call and see how they will be handling RSD drops and make sure they are getting their hands on some copies. I reaaaaaaaaaaaallly want to get my hands on a brand new copy.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

This ones a light one for me:
Core wants: mac demarco Other Here Comes The Cowboy Demos

Nice to haves: David bowie live, Gorillaz C & D sides, Cherry bomb & Cherry bomb instrumental.

My wants from the next two drops: Bill Evans ‎– Some Other Time repress, Freddy Gibs and mad lib Pinata '74 (remaster half-speed!)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

snagged one of the 300

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Evil Bob posted:

That gives a bit of hope. I'll just have to give the usual suspects for RSD metal records a call and see how they will be handling RSD drops and make sure they are getting their hands on some copies. I reaaaaaaaaaaaallly want to get my hands on a brand new copy.

If you just want to own a brand new copy of that album there are already a bunch of different reissues, no fist fights required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

CPL593H posted:

If you just want to own a brand new copy of that album there are already a bunch of different reissues, no fist fights required.

What is metal without a bit of danger? You make a good point, may as well see what is already out there.