Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I found this newbie vitality conjurer guide very easy to follow as somebody who is casually playing without twink gear with friends. We are currently around level 80 in ultimate.
https://forums.crateentertainment.c...character/99959

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

theshim posted:

I mean, people routinely clear the hardest endgame content in PoE on Solo Self Found Hardcore (no trading, no partying up, one death and done). I fully agree that PoE has a learning curve like a brick wall and an at this point overwhelming amount of content bloat, but that's still a bit of an exaggeration.

I love PoE, and I like Grim Dawn a lot, but they both scratch very different itches, for as much as they play the same - and I think that's great!

That was a reference to post-level ~60 content being relegated to maps, which you typically have to trade for because you can't reliably find them faster than you go through them. I could deal with the grind by itself, but the fact that you need to pay an entrance fee to even find poo poo that isn't too underleveled to farm is absurd.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
After the free BL3 weekend (no, I'm not paying for that game yet) and a friend talking about D3 a bunch, I had to boot this up and played for 2 hours tonight. Not able to remember which one was last played I noticed a level 1 toon with 0xp and 1 death on Ultimate, but couldn't recall if that was a normal arrangement or if I'd used GDEdit to cook it up. Regardless this was the way to go!

So, with 5 deaths and about 2 hours of time, I got a summon class (necro+sham) to Burrwitch village. I would complain that everything is absurdly meaty and takes forever to die, but I'm also L31 already and the resistances are nearing 0% from random poo poo drops and devotions.

Not the ideal way to go about playing, but I'm chuckling that I probably won't make it to the Warden the first time around until L40.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Clitch posted:

I really like PoE's story, visuals, and gameplay. I think the skill tree and gem system are cool as hell. I still have yet to get to the endgame because I bounce off of the gearing meta every single time.
The only times I ever got anywhere I was playing a summoner, who could at the time just take whatever had defensive stats and the sockets I needed since there was almost no itemization that actually helped with minions. And was also really powerful.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Elderbean posted:

I've played this game on and off, very casually. Any fun builds you guys would recommend for my least played classes of Arcanist, Shaman, or Necromancer?

I'm only on my third character but I'm using the two-handed lightning build described here and enjoying it a lot so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnYEQtffPCA&t=112s

The skills work well with ranged or melee and he also tells you (there's a section in the video called levelling 2handers) how to get the Korvan Storm Halberd (level 20) which is still miles better than anything else I find at level 45. I invested all my skill points in Shaman until level 35 or so and now I'm leveling up Arcanist to give me more spirit and some more defensive skills.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
My highest level character is a lvl 64 retaliation warlord. I'm finding him kind of boring. I'm about halfway through the FG expansion and I've already done the other DLC. Any point in keeping at this character? Will I unlock anything that will make leveling up new characters easier or faster?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't think you get the potion for exp gain and the rock thing (unlocks all difficulty and waypoints) until FG in ultimate. Maybe the potion unlocks earlier after beating the main game in ultimate but it's been awhile.

You can also respec if that play style sucks. Surely you can try a different build with the same classes that works.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 18, 2020

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
All you have to do to get the xp potion is get your rep up with the malmouth resistance faction which you can do across any of the difficulties. That is definitely worth doing if you want to reroll. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get to the FG town in the next difficulty though which will let you grab the elite skip rune in case you need it. You only need to beat act 1 on elite to unlock the town so its not that bad.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I didn't want to, but I'm forced to blast through the game on normal anyway because the inventory bags don't drop on higher difficulties. Oops. Been back and forth running around between normal and ultimate to grind (gently caress Veteran).

9 hours to both Necropolis on normal and Rocky Hills on Ultimate, no XP potions yet (changing next session). The Act1 main quest rewards on Ultimate just drowned my dude in XP and set the stage for casually romping around. Now at L49 with about 10 deaths, the toon can probably trounce everything but the FG final boss on Normal.

Not super fast, but quicker than I remembered this game being for a casual pet build I didn't look up. That any interesting loot is locked to 50+ is still irritating though... bah.

chombo
Sep 11, 2001

Canuckistan posted:

My highest level character is a lvl 64 retaliation warlord. I'm finding him kind of boring. I'm about halfway through the FG expansion and I've already done the other DLC. Any point in keeping at this character? Will I unlock anything that will make leveling up new characters easier or faster?

retaliation characters are less fun if you haven't passively farmed stuff for them on a really good character. Definitely try something else for awhile, like start a Shaman, grab a good 2her and go nuts with Primal Strike and pair it with pretty much anything that suits your fancy.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The purchasable token that unlocks ultimate difficulty also gives you 5 bags and every rift in normal and elite.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Hmmm. Then this toon must've been me tinkering with GDEdit before FG came out.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Canuckistan posted:

As soon as you can enter Elite (iirc) or Ultimate difficulties after beating Loghorrean, you can go straight through the emissary portal and buy the thingie that unlocks Elite (iirc) and ultimate for new characters. It is a godsend.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I got this and am having a lot of fun, despite the issues with ARPGs as a genre. I started off with a Cabalist and my pets wreck stuff (especially the raven, wtf) while i run around doing not much, but by lvl 30 I felt like It would be more fun to have a more interactive class, so I've rolled a nightblade which seems less powerful so far but gives me a lot more to do.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Nightblade is used as a secondary mastery a lot, but all of its skills are good in one way or another, and a few are among my favorites. If you're playing a build with Nightblade in it, you're probably moving fast and hitting all the buttons.

Other ARPG Update: I reinstalled Wolcen, got halfway through Act 1, and uninstalled again.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Clitch posted:

Other ARPG Update: I reinstalled Wolcen, got halfway through Act 1, and uninstalled again.

Heh, I have it on my wishlist for in a year or two when it might be worth playing (from the sounds of it, haven't tried it).

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Bleh, finally managed to get my HC primal strike guy oneshot (turns out going to the mad priest in Forgotten Gods with 20% cold res is a bad idea), figured I'll try a pet build next since I have some necromancer stuff etc. stashed.

Figured I'll go necro + occultist to get a big swarm, first with the skellies & taking the bird, hellhound & stinky garbage golem & a bunch of item-based pets like the crab later. Would that work, or is it spreading my points too thin? At least early on having, say, 5 points in skellies seems orders of magnitude better than spreading them between a bunch of summons.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Using this pre-FG modded save continues to be interesting. I went back into GD Edit to remove the flag for Ultimate so I could buy the token and get the bags. That part went smoothly. But I'm still getting devotion points on top of the 55 that were declared, meaning this character looks to have 68-70 points spent while I don't know if all are actually active or glitching out yet showing.

Anyway, 1/3 or so into AoM on Ultimate with only 15 deaths, but the game hasn't dropped useful gear in 10-20 levels so I gotta go grind on Elite until it coughs up some replacements. Pet builds really are too passive, but more fun to watch imo.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Andrigaar posted:

Using this pre-FG modded save continues to be interesting. I went back into GD Edit to remove the flag for Ultimate so I could buy the token and get the bags. That part went smoothly. But I'm still getting devotion points on top of the 55 that were declared, meaning this character looks to have 68-70 points spent while I don't know if all are actually active or glitching out yet showing.

Anyway, 1/3 or so into AoM on Ultimate with only 15 deaths, but the game hasn't dropped useful gear in 10-20 levels so I gotta go grind on Elite until it coughs up some replacements. Pet builds really are too passive, but more fun to watch imo.

Best Guess: Shrine activations and Devotion Points are split between player.gdc and quests.gdd. So you wiped your Ultimate quest progress, and the flag that says to stop giving you DP at 55 is triggered by the number of shrine activations and not your character's DP count, if that makes any sense. So without manually subracting the DP you got in Ultimate, one side of your character save still says you have X DP, and the other says you're still good to receive Y DP from shrines you have yet to activate. When you monkey around with GD savegame editors, it really does treat them like two different buckets.

You're probably getting the benefit from the extra devotions, if you're spending them, so have fun being OP.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I could do with a Titan Quest II. Any word on what Crate's next project is?

szary
Mar 12, 2014
A town builder.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
If I have a weapon that has chance on attack to do something (in my case the club that summons cthonian devourers), I assume it'll only activate on attacks that actually swing the weapon? I'm using Drain Essence and the thing isn't doing anything, thought that was a bug first since Howl of Mogdrogen bound to Drain Essence works fine.

EDIT: Nevermind, it does work, I'm just dumb / blind - turns out they pop up but are hidden behind all the other minions & clutter since they don't show up on the pet bar or buff bar (like skeletons)!

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 25, 2020

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

szary posted:

A town builder.

:bigwhat:

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Some more screenshots here: https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/whats-the-latest-on-crates-town-builder-game/47816/69

From what I've read, they are working on two more games, but the town builder is the only one that they've given any concrete information on.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Banished already came out 6 years ago.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Clitch posted:

Banished already came out 6 years ago.

Maybe Crate will make a good version?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

szary posted:

A town builder.

But why?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

bloom posted:

But why?

ARPGs don't sell gangbusters

a town builder can be made into a mobile game and rake in the dough

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Excelzior posted:

ARPGs don't sell gangbusters

a town builder can be made into a mobile game and rake in the dough
If Steamspy's at all to be believed, I think GD kind of did do gangbusters...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mordja posted:

If Steamspy's at all to be believed, I think GD kind of did do gangbusters...

They found a niche

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think GD did sell quite well, but its also had at least one free weekend which throws off steamspy pretty hard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

from wikipedia

"In a live dev stream on Twitch on 19 April 2019 Crate announced that Forgotten Gods had sold over 100,000 copies and collectively between all of the DLCs and the base game Grim Dawn had sold over 3 million copies"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It has the benefit of being one of the big three ARPGs, one of which is free (Path of Exile) and the other is Diablo 3 so it felt like the entire audience for this genre kind of just picked their side. I tried Chronicon but ehhh... I dunno.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Someone from Crate said at some point that not only do they expect the arpg market to be pretty crowded for the near future, the owner of the company also wants to have a diverse portfolio of games and not just be focused on one specific niche. I also think making a town builder is really weird, and I probably won’t play it, but the more power to them if that’s the kind of game they want to make.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Honestly it already seems crowded to me. PoE for the turbo hardcore spreadsheet type, Diablo for the turbo casual type, GD seems to fill an OK space in between. I picked up Torchlight 3 and while the classes are pretty cool (Railmaster is a really fun concept) the game just doesn't really do anything interesting and I just have a hard time envisioning any sort of space "between PoE and GD" or "between D3/D4 and GD" for other games to come in as.

I picked this up over the Summer Sale and I had fun but I didn't get very far before ditching it for other games. I feel like the genre is just kinda stagnant, or I've simply played too much of it as D2 was a childhood defining game for me, and I've played PoE on-and-off since beta.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Sab669 posted:

Honestly it already seems crowded to me. PoE for the turbo hardcore spreadsheet type, Diablo for the turbo casual type, GD seems to fill an OK space in between. I picked up Torchlight 3 and while the classes are pretty cool (Railmaster is a really fun concept) the game just doesn't really do anything interesting and I just have a hard time envisioning any sort of space "between PoE and GD" or "between D3/D4 and GD" for other games to come in as.

I picked this up over the Summer Sale and I had fun but I didn't get very far before ditching it for other games. I feel like the genre is just kinda stagnant, or I've simply played too much of it as D2 was a childhood defining game for me, and I've played PoE on-and-off since beta.

I feel like I've just about squeezed all of the fun I'm going to out of Grim Dawn(it was over a thousand hours. I ain't mad), and nothing on the horizon looks like it's up to taking that spot. ARPGs seem to bring out the goldilocks in a lot of people, including me.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Figured I'll give an Eye of Reckoning build with a ton of Chance on Attack items & a no-cooldown devotion build a shot; anyone tried something like this, is it viable? Alternative would be a grasping vines one, but a melee proc spinner seems like it'd be more fun to me. On that topic, what are some other good (assuming Eye of Reckoning even is one) proc activator skills to keep in mind?

Also, what would be a good second class for this type of thing - Occultist at least thanks to Curse of Frailty, I imagine?

OR Nightblade for Veil of Shadow / Inquisitor for Gaze of Empyrion to stack even more hits & hit effects to closeby monsters when spinning? That might be interesting. Inquisitor would probably fit better?
EDIT: Nevermind, apparently auras have been patched so that they don't proc chance on attack stuff anymore (or at least devotion skills, but probably items too?)

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 26, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
And I don't know how long-term-thinking Crate was when they made the decision but they were almost certainly going to be competing against PoE2 and D4.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Was there not an interim update awhile back where they mentioned a re-focus on GD given how well things had played out with their last, Last big update for it as opposed to directly diving at the builder project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Was there not an interim update awhile back where they mentioned a re-focus on GD given how well things had played out with their last, Last big update for it as opposed to directly diving at the builder project?

It would be cool if they made a mode where base game + expansions spanned the whole difficulty and level range in one playthrough.