Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i do not think that leftwingers have been 'allowed' much of anything, i think they've seized upon how discredited the mainstream democratic party is in certain constituencies and taken a system so used to winning my machine politics that it's got a hard time actually running for elections. a lot of these old-timer congresspeople haven't actually been in a competitive contest in forever, and in some cases they've neglected their constituencies who are generally urban poor

those guys are vulnerable to being bumped off from the left; someone like pelosi, whose district is full of well-off social liberals who approve of her spectacle, is not. this is not because the democrats can 'allow' your ilhan omars a lot of stuff, it's because america does have certain democratic characteristics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

I'm pessimistic about a leftist seizure of congress; they have been permitted to take seats because they are small, inconsequential, outvoted. The moment leftist politicians make up even 1/4th of the democrats, expect many more Obama endorsements and Warren turncoats.

'Permitted'? The Dem establishment has fought (and is still fighting; ex. Pelosi endorsing Kennedy) them every step of the way, but they're often losing these fights. It's just going very slowly and there's no telling yet how big the progressive wing can get; they might remain inconsequential, but if for example AOC enters and does well in the 2024 primary things could get very interesting.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Martian posted:

'Permitted'? The Dem establishment has fought (and is still fighting; ex. Pelosi endorsing Kennedy) them every step of the way, but they're often losing these fights. It's just going very slowly and there's no telling yet how big the progressive wing can get; they might remain inconsequential, but if for example AOC enters and does well in the 2024 primary things could get very interesting.

They've put up some mediocre quiet opposition, to show that they disapprove without doing a trump-style "blow a foghorn about your war on leftism". The very moment left politicians threaten to be big enough to decide policy, expect them to squeeze the few popular individuals (Bill Clinton & Obama, basically) for photoshoots and endorsements for the Elliot's and Richard Neal's.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Somfin posted:

If you're going to level accusations at posters including accusing them of being white, cis, hetero and wealthy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

They never used any of those words?

Covok posted:

A lot of middle class white cishet people in this thread saying it would be better in the long run if violence got worse in this country to spur direct action.

I wonder who here is most likely to be the direct recipient of violence 🤔. Asking as a lower middle class hispanic trans bi individual in a red district.

I'm sorry to contradict you, but they did.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The unification of both parties into a right wing racist oligarchy is going to be worse for eveyone than anything Trump can do with four more years.

All Biden will do is move today's headline issues back a few pages so liberals can ignore them. Just like they did under Obama.

I don't know if a Biden loss will do anything to halt the Democrats' rightward movement, but a win definitely won't.

moths fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 26, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Somfin posted:

I'm sorry to contradict you, but they did.

scrolled past that I guess, my bad.

Neurolimal posted:

They've put up some mediocre quiet opposition, to show that they disapprove without doing a trump-style "blow a foghorn about your war on leftism". The very moment left politicians threaten to be big enough to decide policy, expect them to squeeze the few popular individuals (Bill Clinton & Obama, basically) for photoshoots and endorsements for the Elliot's and Richard Neal's.

This isn't really even close to reality. AOC unseated Pelosi's heir apparent and that was neither 'allowed' nor was the response even close to 'mediocre quiet opposition.' They were and are pissed. If AOC didn't raise 95% as much annually as Pelosi, I doubt we'd ever have seen Pelosi even minimally try to make amends.

Meanwhile millions were spent this year on the primary challenger against Omar (who she beat by 15-20 iirc).

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 26, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Covok posted:

I want more protest but trying to force it by letting things get worse is not good.

Like saying stuff like this ignores how much worse things get if the Republicans retain power.

Covok posted:

A lot of middle class white cishet people in this thread saying it would be better in the long run if violence got worse in this country to spur direct action.

I wonder who here is most likely to be the direct recipient of violence 🤔. Asking as a lower middle class hispanic trans bi individual in a red district.

Thanks for calling me cishet even after I out myself very cool and good.

And my point in that post is that this violence isnt going to go away with a Biden administration. Both his record and the record of the Obama administration about this show they're not going to stem this tide
You and I are going to be targets either way and thus, as i said in that post, the Biden promise of drowning with a few more gasps of air doesnt inspire me to even begin to care.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah, so maybe everybody could just wait literally a week to see what the RNC does instead of preemptively smugging at each other.

Im looking forward to the upcoming post RNC pools because there is still no bump to be seen for Biden

https://mobile.twitter.com/Reuters/status/1298586087338708992

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
Do you suppose this white nightmare will result in a bump for Trump, though? I think there just might not be post-convention bumps this time around because everyone who isn't actually headless already knows and has an opinion on Biden and Trump. Before Trump was famous for being a lovely reality star, but if you weren't into the show or NY news, it'd be easy to not really know anything about him. This round? Not possible.

e:vvvv because every piece of media, social or otherwise, has had that gaping orange anus spouting poo poo for 4 years. Even Luddites know about Trump.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 26, 2020

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Why not

No, i mean your argument hinges on the assumption that only new information (edit: about the candidate) creates a convention bump, but you havent shown that to be the case.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 26, 2020

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ershalim posted:

Do you suppose this white nightmare will result in a bump for Trump, though? I think there just might not be post-convention bumps this time around because everyone who isn't actually headless already knows and has an opinion on Biden and Trump. Before Trump was famous for being a lovely reality star, but if you weren't into the show or NY news, it'd be easy to not really know anything about him. This round? Not possible.

e:vvvv because every piece of media, social or otherwise, has had that gaping orange anus spouting poo poo for 4 years. Even Luddites know about Trump.

Do you even know who the Luddites were?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Covok posted:

Like did anyone consider that what you're proposing means that a lot of innocent people will have their lives ruined on the likely vain hope it will magically lead to revolution?

Sure will be great when they try again to take away my human rights because I'm trans. Already removed my military rights thus locking millions out of a cheap transition and they almost made it so doctors didn't have to treat me. Wonder what the next 4 years would have in store?

Sure is great having a mouthpiece increase violence against protected classes through the bullypulpit. Not like his presence made them bolder or anything.

All the kids detained and dying in cages certainly understand they need to be sacrificed so that people will get mad and fight against things harder later.

This argument is the same thing as electroalism, in a way. You say we have to eat a pile of poo poo to stop something worse from happening. Except all the bad poo poo from accelerational is felt immediately and disproportionately towards protected classes. And it all assumes people wouldn't try to make things better unless everything is max horrible (disproportionately for protected clases) and that this will all work out and be worth it.

Either way, your asking people, many of which have no interest in political chess, to be victims of violence. Even if you are a part of a protected class, you are looking at millions of people and helping decide that they will be victims of violence.

Posts like these always implicitly treat the victims of American imperialism as worthless and expendable. There's a brief mention of kids in cages but no mention of why those kids are fleeing their countries (coups supported by democratic and republican presidents might have a little something to do with it). A mention of military rights being taken away, which again, come at the expense of murdering the gently caress out of men, women and children who have never done anything to you. A competent US government means a foreign policy dedicated to destroying millions of lives around the globe. Biden has expressed support for coups in South America, for taking a hard line in the middle East. Biden's objection with the Iran assassination wasn't that he was killed, but the way it happened. Most of America's war criminals and genocidal monsters are riding with biden, how many people are going to be murdered under a Biden foreign policy that doesn't get any pushback from the press? Joe Biden knowingly lied about WMDs to you and me so that the US would destroy a chunk of the world, what else will he lie about so people will be killed, raped and maimed for the sake of US imperialism?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Phone posted:

Do you even know who the Luddites were?

I was just using it in a derogatory way. Sorry if I offended any Lud-fans. My point was that the cultural awareness of Trump and Biden is at saturation, and that the conventions this year weren't likely to give anyone any news they didn't already have -- so I don't think there will be any popularity bump to either of them unlike how there normally is. If that's wrong, oh well. My bad.

Ruzihm posted:

No, i mean your argument hinges on the assumption that only new information creates a convention bump, but you havent shown that to be the case.

That's an interesting thought. What would it be other than novelty that gets people to swing approval ratings? Is the convention bump from like a temporary solidarity because people like what's being said? I honestly don't know where it comes from, I was just guessing. If it's good feelings, why didn't Biden get a bump? I mean, I know here the DNC message wasn't popular, but wasn't it generally well-liked by the average dem?

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 26, 2020

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Ershalim posted:

That's an interesting thought. What would it be other than novelty that gets people to swing approval ratings? Is the convention bump from like a temporary solidarity because people like what's being said? I honestly don't know where it comes from, I was just guessing. If it's good feelings, why didn't Biden get a bump? I mean, I know here the DNC message wasn't popular, but wasn't it generally well-liked by the average dem?
I don't know. It could be whatever Bush benefited from in 2004

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I sigh, unsheathe my posting katana, and prepare to once again defend the luddites online.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Thanks for calling me cishet even after I out myself very cool and good.

And my point in that post is that this violence isnt going to go away with a Biden administration. Both his record and the record of the Obama administration about this show they're not going to stem this tide
You and I are going to be targets either way and thus, as i said in that post, the Biden promise of drowning with a few more gasps of air doesnt inspire me to even begin to care.

Alright that was lovely of me. My first post was a lovely vague call out. I should have read your post all the way through before including it in my follow-up.

I am very sorry about this. I apologize for my negligence. I was a dick. You don’t have to accept my apology. I understand that was really lovely and you have no obligation to forgive me just because I apologized.

Covok fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 26, 2020

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

negativeneil posted:

Good job taking what Richard Spencer says at face value.

He's been pretty consistent about his position vis a vis Trump/Biden for a while now, apparently. This doesn't change the fact that it's possible he's just doing a long(er) con, but that it's actually hard for many of us to tell for certain is pretty telling.

https://twitter.com/Rich_Penney/status/1298315812953096192

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Famethrowa posted:

I'm just baffled by the optimism amidst the DNC hosting two Republicans (one a prolife monster the other a war criminal) at their convention.

How do we move the party left? Greyjoy has mentioned local party chair elections, which is a start, but an unfathomably slow start considering the stakes. We don't have 70 years to stop this rightward shift.

Fwiw my big push is state-convention-related (because the DNC and the state party are, mostly, ironically easier to target than county chairs lol; at-large all-democrats-vote elections are rougher than only-giant-politics-nerds-who-sign-up-vote elections, and also more vulnerable to money) and i maintain we can still do real damage to the conservative hold on the DNC in 2024. When I'm being particularly optimistic I frame it as a full takeover, which would be nice but is probably unlikely, but on the flip side we can infer from the way votes have gone that not all DNC incumbents are bad in the first place, just a substantial majority. Even just expanding the leftist presence on the DNC from 15-20% or so (iirc) to 40% would be, in the words of the next president of the United States, a Big loving Deal. Flipping 10% of squishy DNCers on some issues is easier than flipping 30%.

Another chunk of my optimism as far as this being a viable path for huge dorks like me to make an outsized dent is basically anecdotal - I can state with a very high degree of confidence that The Establishment in my county party and a fairly high degree of confidence that The Establishment in my senatedistrict party is not conspiring specifically against The Left, and particularly not on any sort of conscious ideological grounds. There's still some level of establishment sticktogetherness, but in their heads it's more about valuing Putting In The Time (which favors olds, well-offs, and establishmentarians, natch) and they like to think they encourage new involvement and youth involvement.

For all that the platform of a state party is much more worthless than the questionably-worthful national platform, the 2020 Texas convention has me pretty hopeful about a leftward swing in the Texas Democrats - more than one caucus experienced a significant leadership change (and caucus leadership does matter a bit, they have some resources, some endorsement punch, and some control over one DNC slot each except for the caucuses that don't get one), the platform was pretty darn progressive, and scuttlebutt is that Dennis loving Speight was reelected to his DNC at-large slot by a much smaller margin than anyone expected. If this is what we can do with no discernably organized leftist convention push in Texas, we've got a pretty good shot at eating the elected DNC slots in 2024 and also at seizing the rules-reins in 2022 for the 2024 primary and such.

in my more anxious moments i theorize that red and redpurple areas are actually easier to launch a leftist insurgency in than blue areas precisely because the stakes for control of the local/state party are pettier, but even if true there's a lot of low-hanging fruit out there

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 26, 2020

rko
Jul 12, 2017
For what it’s worth, while I’ve articulated the “Biden will be worse than Trump in the long run” point a few times ITT, I’ve come to believe that it just doesn’t matter in terms of the left’s fate. The Democrats are efficient at keeping leftists out of elected office, but holding elected office right now doesn’t mean much when both parties are promising that nothing is going to change—and it’ll get vetoed if they even try.

And because nothing will meaningfully change in a country that’s objectively awful to live in, the material conditions that are pushing people left aren’t going to change either. Will liberal Biden voters tune out and go to brunch? Absolutely. But they’re not exactly helping things by being tuned in right now; maybe there’s value in showcasing the intellectual and moral bankruptcy of the establishment and their backers.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Fwiw my big push is state-convention-related (because the DNC and the state party are, mostly, ironically easier to target than county chairs lol; at-large all-democrats-vote elections are rougher than only-giant-politics-nerds-who-sign-up-vote elections, and also more vulnerable to money) and i maintain we can still do real damage to the conservative hold on the DNC in 2024.

I still don’t quite understand why you think the Democrats at any level would just let the left do this. It’s the fundamental flaw in the worldview of so many “progressives,” this idea that we can play by the rules and win at the game the aristocracy set up. Hopefully you prove me wrong and the Greyjoy machine takes over Texas and you turn into some kind of less problematic Huey Long or something, but I’ve grown incredibly cynical about the prospect of transforming the Dems.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Here's the section from his site:

Thanks for finding this, by the way. I read over it and this seems to be the most relevant passage (ie: what would affect the most people):

quote:

The Biden Plan will equalize benefits across the income scale, so that low- and middle-income workers will also get a tax break when they put money away for retirement.

Which looks like it means you can deduct a portion of your differed compensation? Money put into an IRA? Some or all of it?

It's kind of a vague outline, and young people have much more pressing concerns than retirement. But it's not "he's going to gently caress with your retirement," so that's something.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Covok posted:

Alright that was lovely of me. My first post was a lovely vague call out. I should have read your post all the way through before including it in my follow-up.

I am very sorry about this. I apologize for my negligence. I was a dick. You don’t have to accept my apology. I understand that was really lovely and you have no obligation to forgive me just because I apologized.

Yes reading posts and ideas all the way through might be a good idea before replying.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

moths posted:

Thanks for finding this, by the way. I read over it and this seems to be the most relevant passage (ie: what would affect the most people):

Which looks like it means you can deduct a portion of your differed compensation? Money put into an IRA? Some or all of it?

It's kind of a vague outline, and young people have much more pressing concerns than retirement. But it's not "he's going to gently caress with your retirement," so that's something.

I wonder what happens for people who are contributing to existing Roth IRAs and Roth 401k. Those people are already paying the taxes up front in order to avoid the taxes at the back end. If he changes it so that they have to pay taxes on disbursements during retirement then they get really screwed.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

moths posted:

No. The issue is this:

Currently, money you put in your traditional IRA or 401k is "tax free," because it will be taxed later. This means that the portion of your income that gets put away is not taxed. So if you make 100k, but 10k out of those 100k is deposited into an 401k, that means that you are paying taxes on 90k of your income even as your income is 100k. But for people with low incomes, their effective federal tax rate is already zero, so they get no deduction from putting money in a 401k. Their income tax liability is 0 either way. The Biden plan makes it so that instead of a tax deduction (which means that it can't go below 0), it becomes a tax credit (so you get money even if your income tax rate is 0).

It is an improvement, but at the same time an improvement that is unlikely to make much of a difference overall. The reason someone making 15k a year isn't putting money away for retirement isn't because it is a suboptimal tax strategy.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I wonder what happens for people who are contributing to existing Roth IRAs and Roth 401k. Those people are already paying the taxes up front in order to avoid the taxes at the back end. If he changes it so that they have to pay taxes on disbursements during retirement then they get really screwed.

Those are untouched, as far as I know.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

IMO, messing with retirement like this will be as politically treacherous as introducing the ACA, at which point youre doing something so hard you might as well introduce medicare for all, or nationalize retirement.

Either way, folks are going to get whipped up in a frenzy about how Biden is taking all of your retirement money, just like death panels.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

joepinetree posted:

No. The issue is this:

Currently, money you put in your traditional IRA or 401k is "tax free," because it will be taxed later. This means that the portion of your income that gets put away is not taxed. So if you make 100k, but 10k out of those 100k is deposited into an 401k, that means that you are paying taxes on 90k of your income even as your income is 100k. But for people with low incomes, their effective federal tax rate is already zero, so they get no deduction from putting money in a 401k. Their income tax liability is 0 either way. The Biden plan makes it so that instead of a tax deduction (which means that it can't go below 0), it becomes a tax credit (so you get money even if your income tax rate is 0).
Yeah, while it's using language of equality and leveling the playing field--and It genuinely would be a net positive--it seems likes its goal is more around incentivizing poorer folks putting money away. It's not bad in of itself, but I'm suspicious of how effective it would be.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 26, 2020

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, while it's using language of equality and leveling the playing field--and It genuinely would be a net positive--it seems likes its goal is more around incentivizing poorer folks putting money away. It's not bad in of itself, but I'm suspicious of how effective it would be.

Yeah. Again, it is not bad per se.

But, like a lot of these hyper targeted benefits, I suspect that the main beneficiaries would be the temporarily poor children of middle and upper classes. People who have access to the tax planning required to maximize the benefit and who can afford to set aside part of their income right now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

joepinetree posted:

. Their income tax liability is 0 either way. The Biden plan makes it so that instead of a tax deduction (which means that it can't go below 0), it becomes a tax credit (so you get money even if your income tax rate is 0).

It is an improvement, but at the same time an improvement that is unlikely to make much of a difference overall. The reason someone making 15k a year isn't putting money away for retirement isn't because it is a suboptimal tax strategy.

That makes sense, I was reading credit and deduction interchangeable and yeah that's wrong.

This couldn't have been written with anyone earning under $30k in mind. I agree that there's absolutely no way a struggling person will see the credit (and nebulous future money) as a priority over their immediate needs.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The 401k stuff is DemPolicy.txt. A lot of fiddling around the edges of policy and making bureaucratic tweaks that maybe have a net benefit overall, but it's confusing, easily miscommunicated, and it's not clear that the people you're seeking to help will actually see any real benefit. Even if they do, it will be a benefit they likely won't understand the full impact of (and that's if they even realize they're receiving a benefit in the first place - Americans aren't known for their deep understanding of their personal tax liability).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

negativeneil posted:

kinda cherry picking my argument here. I'm not saying Biden represents progress, I'm saying there is a lot of progress than can happen under Biden in the form of moving the party left. Actually reforming the Democratic Party will take a generation at least. Like do you think the GOP became fascist overnight? This poo poo has been building steadily for decades. Focusing everything on the Presidency is ignoring almost every possible avenue to reforming our political system.

How does the DNC and Dem elites crushing the leftist 40 percent of the party then winning a presidential election move the party to the left?

The squad became a thing under Trump.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
So if Biden wins the Presidency you're just going to stop voting for progressives and sending them contributions?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Shageletic posted:

How does the DNC and Dem elites crushing the leftist 40 percent of the party then winning a presidential election move the party to the left?

The squad became a thing under Trump.

How do you figure that leftists are 40% of dems?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

How do you figure that leftists are 40% of dems?

High figure of ppl who voted Bernie.

negativeneil posted:

So if Biden wins the Presidency you're just going to stop voting for progressives and sending them contributions?

I'm saying that, for me, it doesn't matter who's president when it comes to voting in progressives. But I'd argue that a lot of the energy present in the community for "leftist" positions (labor/M4all/anti-corruption/rent relief/student relief) will dissapate if/when Biden becomes president.

I saw that first hand in 08-12.

DSPaul
Jun 29, 2006

I are an intellekshool.

Terror Sweat posted:

Most of America's war criminals and genocidal monsters are riding with biden, how many people are going to be murdered under a Biden foreign policy that doesn't get any pushback from the press? Joe Biden knowingly lied about WMDs to you and me so that the US would destroy a chunk of the world, what else will he lie about so people will be killed, raped and maimed for the sake of US imperialism?

At the moment, the alternative seems to be re-electing a literal fascist psychopath who is extremely likely to kill, rape, and/or maim us.

You know, accelerationist arguments always remind me of those conservative editorials about how poor people just need to spend less money. Can’t the ignorant masses see that if they just accept a decade or so of grinding misery, they’ll be able to bootstrap themselves into a better world? Apparently they can’t — so we, the enlightened few, will just have to take the choice away from them. The ones who survive will thank us.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

DSPaul posted:

At the moment, the alternative seems to be re-electing a literal fascist psychopath who is extremely likely to kill, rape, and/or maim us.

You know, accelerationist arguments always remind me of those conservative editorials about how poor people just need to spend less money. Can’t the ignorant masses see that if they just accept a decade or so of grinding misery, they’ll be able to bootstrap themselves into a better world? Apparently they can’t — so we, the enlightened few, will just have to take the choice away from them. The ones who survive will thank us.

this is explicitly the Joe Biden policy on what should be done to migrant children, op

if you dance well enough for your supper, we might let some of you out of the camps!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1298586087338708992

Durr Kommissar
Jan 25, 2010

DSPaul posted:

And the alternative to this is electing someone who will at BEST make vague overtures towards improving the lives of the most at-risk and downtrodden (while still doing nothing to meaningfully impact them) and at the very least will most likely still grease the gears that continue to grind them down into paste in order to make economy number get bigger. This poo poo has been hashed out NUMEROUS times already in this thread and others, and I’m happy to eat a probe to at least point out that you (and myself for that matter) aren’t bringing any sort of fresh perspective to this discussion.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Durr Kommissar posted:

And the alternative to this is electing someone who will at BEST make vague overtures towards improving the lives of the most at-risk and downtrodden (while still doing nothing to meaningfully impact them) and at the very least will most likely still grease the gears that continue to grind them down into paste in order to make economy number get bigger. This poo poo has been hashed out NUMEROUS times already in this thread and others, and I’m happy to eat a probe to at least point out that you (and myself for that matter) aren’t bringing any sort of fresh perspective to this discussion.

Maybe because people aren't interested in being pawns in a game of political chess and rather live, even briefly, in a slightly better hell?

Also, this ALL assumes all progressive ideals dead stops if things get better. It's not like good things EVER happened when everything wasn't burning down.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Covok posted:

Maybe because people aren't interested in being pawns in a game of political chess and rather live, even briefly, in a slightly better hell?

Also, this ALL assumes all progressive ideals dead stops if things get better. It's not like good things EVER happened when everything wasn't burning down.

Could you explain any of this? It's just generalized cliches.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Covok posted:

that's nice. Joe Biden told you that you shouldn't worry about coronavirus, and that it was safe to go out and vote for him.

not only are you a pawn in a political game of chess, you're a pawn whose owner has already written you off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

papa horny michael posted:

Could you explain any of this? It's just generalized cliches.

Just that arguing we should let things get worse on the hope it gets much better later is asking a lot of people. Trump will do a lot of harm in office. He already has. Someone rallied by Trump just shot and killed protestors last night. The argument it would be better if Biden lost ignores the reality of all the people hurt in the interim. It's not like we still can't make things better if the world isn't burning down.