Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Majora's Mask and Wind Waker both have a leg up on NPCs for me because MM has you literally fill out a journal and track their schedule, and in Wind Waker you're taking everyone's photographs so you can make tiny figurines and the tiny figurines tell you a bit about them. I'm sure I'd care about the Twilight Princess side characters if I had to fill out a graph about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I love the minor NPCs in Zelda games. They're all a bunch of monomaniacal weirdos.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I liked the ice mansion and the arbiter's grounds but otherwise TP's dungeons kinda just blur together tbqh. A lot of them felt really guided and didn't really make me think of them as anything more than a series of isolated rooms.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
It's amazing, to me at least, how split the fans here are and how different people just say "meh, the dungeons/characters aren't what makes a Zelda game for me", when I consider them both vital.
Like, was the real Zelda game in our hearts all along or something?

Btw, my favourite NPC's are always the ones that shout stuff at you, like the "CAAAAW" carpenter guy.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Fuckin' Beedle, man.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Bongo Bill posted:

I love the minor NPCs in Zelda games. They're all a bunch of monomaniacal weirdos.

They are all obsessed with bugs.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sarcastro posted:

Fuckin' Beedle, man.

Beedle and Dampe have now shown up in more mainline titles than any other secondary characters which is absolutely wild to me

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Malo.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

YggiDee posted:

Majora's Mask and Wind Waker both have a leg up on NPCs for me because MM has you literally fill out a journal and track their schedule, and in Wind Waker you're taking everyone's photographs so you can make tiny figurines and the tiny figurines tell you a bit about them. I'm sure I'd care about the Twilight Princess side characters if I had to fill out a graph about them.

Yeah your right, i change my stance, MM best npcs.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

TL posted:

Malo.

gently caress.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I got the Mermaid Suit in Oracle of Ages and now my swimming controls suck. Boooo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TL posted:

Malo.

No

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Greatest moments in the franchise

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I loved the god drat fish in Wind Waker, him going "Keeeeeh?!" is something I still say.

Don't know what his name is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sigher posted:

I loved the god drat fish in Wind Waker, him going "Keeeeeh?!" is something I still say.

Don't know what his name is.

Not sure he had one.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Not sure he had one.

I went and looked it up, and yeah, he doesn't have a name. Apparently each one of those is actually a different fishman, and they're all just identical fishmen.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
A street three blocks from me is called Hoy Avenue. I can assume you know what I yell whenever I ride my bike on it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That dude owns, what a cool as fish for knowing how to paint and helping Link out.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

I went and looked it up, and yeah, he doesn't have a name. Apparently each one of those is actually a different fishman, and they're all just identical fishmen.

Iirc there's actually one map square where the resident fishman's dialogue indicates that he's the same individual as one that you've already met, presumably the Dragon Roost fishman since he's the only one you're guaranteed to have encountered.

E: Or maybe I'm thinking of that lategame cutscene where the King of Red Lions is talking to a fishman about Forsaken Fortress being abandoned.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 26, 2020

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
The best Zelda game behind BotW is Hyrule Warriors.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

musous are not real games

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Augus posted:

I liked the ice mansion and the arbiter's grounds but otherwise TP's dungeons kinda just blur together tbqh. A lot of them felt really guided and didn't really make me think of them as anything more than a series of isolated rooms.

This.

The most memorable thing in that game was the little shootout ambush in the western styled hidden village.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Super No Vacancy posted:

they are the only real games

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Super No Vacancy posted:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Clam Chowdown posted:

The best Zelda game behind BotW is Hyrule Warriors.

If we are going by my individual play time, Hyrule Warriors is even better than BotW.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've tried Hyrule Warriors a couple times now and I keep pooping out around the halfway point.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The problem with hyrule warriors is that I felt like I needed to have a faq open whenever I played adventure mode to see what the rank conditions were; it was too much effort for what should be a thoughtless grind

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

nrook posted:

The problem with hyrule warriors is that I felt like I needed to have a faq open whenever I played adventure mode to see what the rank conditions were; it was too much effort for what should be a thoughtless grind

The rank requirements are universal though?

15:00 minutes for A, 80-120 damage for A (dependent on map but universal for the map) and 1200-1800 KOs (again map dependent but universal)

In the original release it was 5 hearts of damage flat and 1200 KOs for every map which changed in the 3DS release.

The only exceptions are the ones with unique goals which are absolutely trivial to A rank.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I’m sticking with Twilight Princess is among the worst Zelda games. Other than Snowpeak - boring dungeons, empty and disjointed overworld, mostly forgettable and horrifying characters, terrible graphics, the collecting bugs and poes, I hated being the wolf, annoying sound design, nonsense story, oocca, super long and painful opening. It really has almost no redeeming factors for me.

I get subjectivity and all that but I’m always surprised when people say it’s their favorite or in their top Zelda list at all.

These Zelda youtubers are always gushing about it and I presume it’s because they were just the right age when it came out.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Also, five pieces per heart container, wtf

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CPColin posted:

Also, five pieces per heart container, wtf

This is what definitively places it in the Cursed Timeline

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've tried Hyrule Warriors a couple times now and I keep pooping out around the halfway point.

Because it's really bad. I remember getting excited that Skull Kid was in the game and never unlocking him because the game is just so god drat boring and after having beaten it once, no thanks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
People talking poo poo about WW's NPC cast when it's got the gaggle of kidnapped girls and their weird family drama,Bird Postman Melodrama island and loving Beedle...

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also the Great Fairies in Wind Waker are still my favorite Great Faries. I love the color palette, I love the four arms, I love the way they bless you with lotus flowers and how their body spirals out of nothingness below them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

loving Beedle...

What about him? Doesn't he just sell you stuff? I don't remember him doing anything else.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Every single voiced line in Wind Waker is pure gold and Beedle has at least two, so.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I've beaten twilight princess 5 or 6 times and therefore I can say with authority that it is a bottom 4 zelda

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m the one who loves everything about Twilight Princess, just not the long rear end opening. Can’t wait for the WiiU port to drop on Switch. Maybe they’ll bundle it with Wind Waker.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Link to the Past
Majora's Mask
Ocarina
Wind Waker
Link's Awakening
Breath of the Wild
Minish Cap
LoZ
Link Between Worlds
Link's Adventure
Skyward Sword
Twilight Princess

That's my order. Never played the Oracle games so I dunno how good they are, but I've heard good things. Four Swords barely counts. The DS train and boat games were crappy time wasters. Link Between Worlds is amazing, but it's also LttP with a fresh paint job, and it's lower because of the rental mechanic and the dumbass storyline.

This is just overall game, certain games stand out like Wind Waker having some of the best dungeons.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Poor TP...

Also you forgot/haven't played the two ds games. I won't spoil them for you.....but they should be pretty low on anyone's list.

Oracle games were good if you enjoy the isometric Zelda's. Had a weird vibe to them, not exactly Zelda.

Edit: ah, I see you have played them. Yes, they are the only in-house Zelda games I would consider bad, at least in the mechanics of them

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 27, 2020