Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Retro Futurist posted:

Does the new Avengers game have any kind of couch co-op?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Honestly that's like the least Land-ish Land art

Although the signs are there, like nobody looking at each other.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Interview about Gotham Knights.

https://www.ign.com/articles/batman-gotham-knights-co-op-combat-biggest-questions-answered

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

This, I think, is encouraging at least that it sounds like you won't have to equip wildly clashing random accessories just because the numbers go higher

quote:

How do character skins work? Are they made up of individual pieces of armour, or full outfits?
Fleur Marty: "They're a mix of all that."

Patrick Redding: "So, just to be clear, when we talk about Gear, we're talking about your melee weapon, your ranged weapon, and your suit, which has certain armor characteristics.

And then there's your suit style - that's the sort of 'skinning' of the suit. Because we didn't want it to turn into just a random crazy quilt, what we've done is we've got distinct suit looks. And then within that there's accessory variation that the player can tap into, and that way you get a chance to tweak it and make it exactly the way you like it."

But it's also a lot of double talk. I suspect a lot of the gear system is still being worked on in a way that there could be significant changes to it before release.

This is more encouraging

quote:

Is this a game-as-service?
Fleur Marty: "This is very much not designed as a game-as-service. There is an ability tree, which is different for each of the characters, and then there's gear that you craft - and so choices that you're going to be making - but that does not mean that this is a game-as-service.

And it does confirm what we suspected, that it's seperate from the Arkham universe.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcl30mWtJQU

New Fortnite/Marvel season announced, looks like a unique game mode where you play as the above characters along with all the usual skins and such in the battle pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uWtACM49Pc

Also, CGI trailer for Marvel's Avengers coming tomorrow and then a final war table going up alongside the game's early launch.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Everything about the Avengers game has me wanting to emulate the first Marvel Ultimate Alliance game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I wish there was some way for me to let people play the copies locked into my Playstation and Xbox accounts.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
If that interview is supposed to reassure me they're taking it in the right direction, it's doing a piss-poor job of it.

quote:

Will combat feel like the Arkham games? Is this a familiar beat 'em up combat system?

Patrick Redding: "We have gone through and iterated on control schemes quite a bit over the course of the whole project, but it'll be comfortable to people who are familiar with third-person brawler type experiences."

"The way you're accessing some of your special moves and things like that can vary I'm sure, but in terms of having both attack and defensive choices, having a range of combo choices, having variations in strike types and attack types, being able to combo in your ranged attacks as well as your melee attacks - all of that is there, and I think will be comfortable for people who have played modern, contemporary third-person action-adventure style brawlers."

What the gently caress is this answer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

catlord posted:

If that interview is supposed to reassure me they're taking it in the right direction, it's doing a piss-poor job of it.

A lot of it sounds like a lot of the game systems aren't finalized and they didn't get the response they wanted from the preview, so they're doing damage control and they don't have any information to actually do damage control with.

It's not a great interview. I'm cautiously optimistic about the game because I like parts of what they say and the parts I don't like are vague enough I can pretend it will be better than it sounds.

If I was doing a Batman game that was unattached from previous bat game continuity it would be a Dickbat game with Damian as Robin and you'd have team up moves and parts where you were Robin and pay whatever was required for Kevin Conroy to play Bruce Wayne as the man in the cave, basically being Alfred.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Skwirl posted:

If it's 80s punk Storm I might have to start playing fortnite on general principal
I have to let you know there is a Storm punk outfit. It can’t be unlocked for 3 weeks though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

We will all get there together, and reign supreme as stormpunks.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

catlord posted:

Yeah, agreed - would've it been that hard that instead of the gobbledygook marketing answer he said, "hey, you know that awesome FreeFlow combat system that has gotten pretty much universal acclaim and works so well over the previous 4 Batman games? It's pretty much that."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

catlord posted:

Sounds like it’ll be more like beat em up type combat compared to Arkham’s flowing more rhythmic combat.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Did they seriously delist the MUA remakes? Didn't those just come out a year or two ago?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Sounds like it’ll be more like beat em up type combat compared to Arkham’s flowing more rhythmic combat.

Yeah, seems like it’s entirely different combat

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

Did they seriously delist the MUA remakes? Didn't those just come out a year or two ago?

They did, yes. Those games had a ton of licensing issues from day one, that there were 'remasters' at all is kind of a miracle.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Same reason we can't ever get upgraded Marvel vs. Capcom 2 releases. Though I had hoped with the Arcade1up versions coming out we might see same movement on that front

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
is that fortnight stuff the reason why there's a marvel is over hashtag trending on twitter?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

This, I think, is encouraging at least that it sounds like you won't have to equip wildly clashing random accessories just because the numbers go higher

But it's also a lot of double talk. I suspect a lot of the gear system is still being worked on in a way that there could be significant changes to it before release.

Sounds like Injustice 2's take maybe?

They would do a complete look for a character, then separate it into a few individual pieces you can mix and match.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Soonmot posted:

is that fortnight stuff the reason why there's a marvel is over hashtag trending on twitter?

drat RIGHT IT'S OVER

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

I scrolled for a good while to try and find the cause and got either fans of a certain director going 'GOOD' or people going 'maybe now you'll give Chloe Bennett a spin-off' which, you know, that'd be fine but never found an actual reason.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Skwirl posted:

If I was doing a Batman game that was unattached from previous bat game continuity it would be a Dickbat game with Damian as Robin and you'd have team up moves and parts where you were Robin and pay whatever was required for Kevin Conroy to play Bruce Wayne as the man in the cave, basically being Alfred.

you may already know this, but WB Games Montreal was developing a game set in a future Gotham with Damian Wayne as Batman for a while. I imagine at least some of the work they did on that was incorporated into Gotham Knights

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

I scrolled for a good while to try and find the cause and got either fans of a certain director going 'GOOD' or people going 'maybe now you'll give Chloe Bennett a spin-off' which, you know, that'd be fine but never found an actual reason.

Yeah by the time anything like that trends it’s usually impossible to find the reason. Sometimes you get lucky and there’s a ‘for anyone wondering why this is trending...’ tweet in there though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
For me its usually "*gif of relief* oh thank god, i thought [trending] died"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MorningMoon posted:

For me its usually "*gif of relief* oh thank god, i thought [trending] died"

I follow a lot of artists and once in a while someone will just do a portrait of an old actor I like and it scares me every single time

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I follow a lot of artists and once in a while someone will just do a portrait of an old actor I like and it scares me every single time

Bill Sienkiewicz has done that to me a couple of times. I think at one point enough people had said something about "I thought they died or something" that he started prefacing his portraits with "they aren't dead, I just like them" or something similar for a while.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Always makes me laugh that this reference persists despite not actually being a reference to a real Marvel comic.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Always makes me laugh that this reference persists despite not actually being a reference to a real Marvel comic.
Yeah there are a few other good ones. Here's my favorite, along with original reference:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Fritzler posted:

Yeah there are a few other good ones. Here's my favorite, along with original reference:

That shell is a little too big to make just a "TOOT!" :yotj:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
What are some folk's fondest memories of older forgotten superhero games?

I remember liking NES Batman and SEGA Batman Returns on the Genesis. There was SEGA Xmen game I remember enjoying (a side scroller) and have vague memories of a Spiderman game on Genesis where you got $ for web fluid by taking photos (which was a neat idea) that I recall renting but never finished. Spiderman V. Kingpin I think (?)

I heard good things about The Wolverine game on PS2 (I think it was) but never played it and think my all timer is Hulk: Ultimate Destruction but I was trying to brainstorm much older games for purposes of my post and am coming up short.

Funny how few really good superhero games there were on Genesis and SNES.

Moving forward though, I'd LOVE both a follow up to Hulk:UD and a dedicated Daredevil game that uses Arkham's detective vision mechanic and builds on that using Matt's other heightened senses in ways that emphasize his unique powers. Seems like there'd be a lot you do with that by focusing on sound, smell, touch and DD popping light bulbs or throwing breakers to make environments dark. You could even add some lawyering poo poo like Ace Phoenix or interrogations like L.A. Noire tried and then put in some puzzles where DD has to figure out colors or CPU screens that he can't see.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
When you press doubt DD beats the guys face in with a billyclub

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

DD would just be an Arkham game with the Thief darkness mechanic, and that actually sounds dope

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Matt Murdock: Your honor, I call the dog to the stand!
Lockjaw: *whines*

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Retro Futurist posted:

DD would just be an Arkham game with the Thief darkness mechanic, and that actually sounds dope

Having the whole game in x-ray detective mode would probably get annoying tho

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1300852550191722501

Man, I wish I'd heard better things about the Avengers game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Avengers definitely feels like a "buy the $50 complete edition next year" kind of game. Lack of couch co-op is super disappointing, at least if I could play it with my kid I'd probably justify it

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

BiggerBoat posted:

What are some folk's fondest memories of older forgotten superhero games?

I remember liking NES Batman and SEGA Batman Returns on the Genesis. There was SEGA Xmen game I remember enjoying (a side scroller) and have vague memories of a Spiderman game on Genesis where you got $ for web fluid by taking photos (which was a neat idea) that I recall renting but never finished. Spiderman V. Kingpin I think (?)

I heard good things about The Wolverine game on PS2 (I think it was) but never played it and think my all timer is Hulk: Ultimate Destruction but I was trying to brainstorm much older games for purposes of my post and am coming up short.

Funny how few really good superhero games there were on Genesis and SNES.

Moving forward though, I'd LOVE both a follow up to Hulk:UD and a dedicated Daredevil game that uses Arkham's detective vision mechanic and builds on that using Matt's other heightened senses in ways that emphasize his unique powers. Seems like there'd be a lot you do with that by focusing on sound, smell, touch and DD popping light bulbs or throwing breakers to make environments dark. You could even add some lawyering poo poo like Ace Phoenix or interrogations like L.A. Noire tried and then put in some puzzles where DD has to figure out colors or CPU screens that he can't see.

My favorite one that is unknown because it wasn't released in the States, was the Batman Movie game for home computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGHLLh3iZwU

site posted:

There was a cancelled PS2 Daredevil game from around the time of the Daredevil movie. I think it had a sonar mode which would have been like Detective Mode.
I think this was it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSNgXKCwLwo

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

site posted:

True, but that's how most people wound up playing the Batman games anyway so :shrug:

Maybe they could mix it up by adding a "focus" thing where, instead of being in just 'detective mode' constantly, you had to cycle through sound, smell, touch etc. where the screen always changed depending on your focus. I dunno.

I just love Daredevil and can see a lot of potential for a game based on what the Arkham games built and the different things you could do just with that basic template. The combat in those games already kicks rear end. Solving puzzles, different ways to approach areas, the lawyering idea, using super hearing to figure out passwords, codes, phone numbers and poo poo.

Seemed to work for PS4 Spiderman so just adapt that basic concept to what Matt does and *poof*. Awesome game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1300852550191722501

Man, I wish I'd heard better things about the Avengers game.

I’m really enjoying it and I thought it was going to be terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Impressions online are really liking the story mode as a superhero brawler.