Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

the dow is going to 30k before the election isn't it

That low? :thunk: Why not (Warhammer) 40k?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

muskman should just buy all the other car companies at this point

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

he probably can’t sell enough to get the cash to do that right ?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Clark Nova posted:

that's too close to reality, he should buy public utilities on the promise of replacing them with batteries and solar panels

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

would you take Tesla stock as payment for anything

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Musk buying Rolls-Royce and incorporating all the bad parts of a small luxury British car firm would be hilarious.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

What is labor and why does it need to be places?
https://twitter.com/Gothamist/status/1298999065452183552

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

the dow is going to 30k before the election isn't it

Inshallah.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Yeah Musk IS Tesla, his shameless lies and legion of epic bacon science nerds are the company's real product.

Tesla is Star Citizen for rich people

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Rutibex posted:

Tesla is Star Citizen for rich people

only releases an alpha
very expensive
headed by crazy person

it all checks out

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

he probably can’t sell enough to get the cash to do that right ?

He doesn't need to sell the shares - Tesla could issue new shares and do a stock-for-stock exchange to acquire Ford, GM, etc. The only thing is that it would dilute existing Tesla shareholders, who may not be too eager to approve the acquisitions.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/27/walmart-is-teaming-up-with-microsoft-on-tiktok-bid.html

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1299003857062825986

TikTok, brought to you by Walmart

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Whelp, this is the life cycle of a popular app. Soon, the kids will just hope over to the newest free distribution system because their brains are flexible and fresh.

Meanwhile, facebook.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

lmao if American tik tok is separate from the rest of the world and just dies because it's poo poo by itself

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Declan MacManus posted:

their revenue shortfall was $1.7b

the government bailed out boeing to the tune of $60b and allocated another $738b to the us military

welp too bad the federal government can’t help the states, sucks to suck i guess

a million cities are going to effectively go bankrupt, cut all of their current staff, fail to meet their pension obligations, and have the feds so no help for you because you wasted all that money on pensions so gently caress off

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

a million cities are going to effectively go bankrupt, cut all of their current staff, fail to meet their pension obligations, and have the feds so no help for you because you wasted all that money on pensions so gently caress off

that's the deliberate strategy, lol. Let cities collapse

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i absolutely contest that the rich won’t notice a few potholes , they’ll make sure that the roads they drive on are free and smooth, whereas everyone else has to drive the toll road which is made of gravel

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jel Shaker posted:

i absolutely contest that the rich won’t notice a few potholes , they’ll make sure that the roads they drive on are free and smooth, whereas everyone else has to drive the toll road which is made of gravel

rich people have helicopters

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

Unironically this, they'll more or less stop producing cars within a year or two due to his incompetence which will be the biggest climate change effort ever taken :stoked:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

He wasn't even there for the founding of the company, he bought his way in lol

an inspirational story about how America works

Oh I'm well aware, but a company quietly and competently making luxury vehicles would never hit the market cap of a company that announces "FSD coming within months, robotaxis imminent!" several times a year

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

TeenageArchipelago posted:

lmao if American tik tok is separate from the rest of the world and just dies because it's poo poo by itself

The Great Firewall of America

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Rutibex posted:

rich people have helicopters

Plastic Megaphone
Aug 11, 2007
No more credit from the liquor store.
I didn’t realize it till I spent a few years in Cheyenne, but Wyoming’s coal production dwarfs West Virginia, what people often think of when they think “coal country.”

Mineral extraction is so much a part of the state’s identity, the Legislature has come to rely on a permanent mineral trust fund and mineral severance taxes to provide significant amounts of the state’s funding, all while making it more expensive and onerous to pursue clean energy like wind power (when I lived there we’d get sustained 40 mph winds for days at a time; back in the day the government built a whole USDA project, the High Plains Arboretum, to genetically experiment to determine what sort of trees could survive the constant winds and winter temperatures that fall as low as -20 F)

The last half-decade in Wyoming has been politicians scrambling to do literally anything but give up on the sunk cost fallacy of coal. “Sure nobody’s burning it anymore but maybe...uh, carbon nanotubes? We can fund an entire state economy on carbon nanotubes, right?”

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Oh so noooow they want to regulate businesses :allears:

Pretty bizarre, when was the last time the executive branch was demanding a business sell? I bet there is so much insider trading behind this poo poo.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

vxx up 8% today, number seems unsure of itself :thunk:

somebody good at the economy please crash it, my family is dying

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Plastic Megaphone posted:

I didn’t realize it till I spent a few years in Cheyenne, but Wyoming’s coal production dwarfs West Virginia, what people often think of when they think “coal country.”

Mineral extraction is so much a part of the state’s identity, the Legislature has come to rely on a permanent mineral trust fund and mineral severance taxes to provide significant amounts of the state’s funding, all while making it more expensive and onerous to pursue clean energy like wind power (when I lived there we’d get sustained 40 mph winds for days at a time; back in the day the government built a whole USDA project, the High Plains Arboretum, to genetically experiment to determine what sort of trees could survive the constant winds and winter temperatures that fall as low as -20 F)

The last half-decade in Wyoming has been politicians scrambling to do literally anything but give up on the sunk cost fallacy of coal. “Sure nobody’s burning it anymore but maybe...uh, carbon nanotubes? We can fund an entire state economy on carbon nanotubes, right?”
and they refuse to enact an income tax, choosing to also believe that having rich people own ranches for tax breaks and having vacation homes in Jackson Hole will be enough

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug
number getting a bit spicy. will it last?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

it'll probably settle down with a nice glass of maalox this afternoon and be fine for another day of drunken carousing by morning

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Here is my prediction for cars

Self driving is never realized in a greater context but it gets good enough to work in isolation. Musk et al get the government to subsidize a parallel interstate and road infrastructure only accessible to self driving trucks so they can profit off the automation while the rest of us cover the bill. This is hailed as further proof of genius in these titans of industry.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dustcat posted:

vxx up 8% today, number seems unsure of itself :thunk:

somebody good at the economy please crash it, my family is dying

Bond market is being weird too.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

some real sickos itt with uncharged phones

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Don't need to charge your phone when you just sit at home all day posting about number.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Rutibex posted:

rich people have unarmed, unarmored helicopters

ftfy

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Mr Hootington posted:

Bond market is being weird too.

Number is crouching down to do a super jump. 30k by the end of the day, you can take that to the bank.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

alphabettitouretti posted:

Here's a fun graph

No deal brexit is almost certain imo. The hardcore brexit psychos in the tory party never wanted anything else, and the ones who didn't are either ineffectual or just going along with it because they like being in power and want their jobs. They're just dicking the EU around now so they can go "welp, we tried" on 1/1/21. A leaked gov report this week was talking about civil unrest, supply shortages, and rising food costs, and rather than taking it as a warning it just appears to be something they're planning on dealing with, rather than a situation they're aiming to avoid.

I wish civil unrest meant a mass uprising that results in guillotines outside parliament but we're too useless to manage that. I'm expecting something like the 2011 riots, where a mostly poor and minority crowd gets stomped on by the police and dismissed as looters and thugs by the media.

Thanks for this, it's hard to keep track of what's going on in the UK sometimes. So Brexit is now set for Jan 2021?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/NorthmanTrader/status/1299001429403697159?s=09

Are we finally here?

Edit:
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1299034248448323585?s=19

https://twitter.com/DeItaOne/status/1299034057259524097?s=19

https://twitter.com/DeItaOne/status/1299033998530932737?s=19

Lmao

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 27, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
just one more hit of stimulus man, i can handle it. you know im good for it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Horseshoe theory posted:

He doesn't need to sell the shares - Tesla could issue new shares and do a stock-for-stock exchange to acquire Ford, GM, etc. The only thing is that it would dilute existing Tesla shareholders, who may not be too eager to approve the acquisitions.

man if I were a $TSLA holder I’d be thrilled that they were using their ridiculous market cap to acquire actual assets, but I think you’d have a hard time getting $F shareholders to take the magic beans in exchange for the company. I hope so, at least.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

:jerkbag:

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Acelerion posted:

Here is my prediction for cars

Self driving is never realized in a greater context but it gets good enough to work in isolation. Musk et al get the government to subsidize a parallel interstate and road infrastructure only accessible to self driving trucks so they can profit off the automation while the rest of us cover the bill. This is hailed as further proof of genius in these titans of industry.

So trains.

We will invent trains again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

keep going i’m almost there