Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hamelekim posted:

Those preorder suits, guns and briefcases though....

That red suit is cool but I wish you had a white shirt under it. All red-on-red looks lame.|

Others are classy at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Zaphod42 posted:

Why don't y'all rage against Origin or uPlay I don't get it...

People who buy EA or Ubisoft games have already discounted the consideration of whether the company they are buying from is evil.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

A whole year?!

I cannot imagine that kind of loyalty to steam

I'm patient.

Or just buying it on console

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

A whole year?!

I have so far bought like 1 game on EGS and have gotten a whole 20 games free.

There are ten billion cool games coming out every second, some of which I already own and haven’t gotten to. I’m willing to just play other poo poo for a while if it means not having to keep a log of which games I own and what friends I have added on which platform.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The worst thing to me is when you try to stealthily subdue someone, but they turn slightly at the last second or start going down some stairs so 47 just decks them instead, invariably attracting everyone's attention.

Oh god totally! It was never that bad in the old games right? I swear it wasn’t.

Edit : or that one NPC who stumbles into your shenanigans during his 5 mile trek around to your position like a loving DART!

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 27, 2020

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

A whole year?!

Origin and Uplay don't have smug rear end in a top hat owners bullshitting on Twitter about how much of a savior of free gaming they are, also they don't bribe developers into breaking promises they made to their communities with sacks of cash while offering literally nothing of value (not related to IoI, I'm a Phoenix Point backer and I'm still pissed about it).
Sure, Ubisoft bought BlueByte and now Anno games, for example, are all uPlay exclusives but I'm alright with that because they're also paying for their development instead of just leeching on their playerbase.

EDIT: Also yeah, I'll have plenty of other games to play until then. I'll just pretend they're doing the episodic release again and I'm waiting for the complete version.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Hamelekim posted:

A step up from being able to play as Kane and/or Lynch because who the Hell wants that.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
e: double post

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

A step up from being able to play as Kane and/or Lynch because who the Hell wants that.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

repiv posted:

All of the EGS deals to date have been temporary, usually 12 months but sometimes less

The only games you need to be concerned about being exclusive forever are the ones Epic themselves are publishing, they are publishing Remedy, Playdead and genDESIGNs next games

We don't know for sure if published games are forever exclusives but I think it's pretty likely

Remedy's Control went live on Steam today, so there's hope that they're completely raising the drawbridge.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I really like the Sapienza escalation where you have to snipe the two targets at opposite ends of the map. I like that the onus is on you the player to come up with a plan, yet it doesn't need to be overwrought and frustrating. I hope there's more like that!

I did this by just literally grabbing the sniper in the apartment, walking out the back door and shooting them and got SA with some well timed distraction shots.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The worst thing to me is when you try to stealthily subdue someone, but they turn slightly at the last second or start going down some stairs so 47 just decks them instead, invariably attracting everyone's attention.

The fact that you can't do anything melee on someone on a staircase is pretty much the worst design decision in the entire game.

Zaphod42 posted:

A whole year?!

In my case it's not loyalty to steam, it's that I don't agree with Epic and their methods and I'm in no rush what so ever to get this game. I tried to use the Epic launcher once and it was loving poo poo too. They should've spent some of that money they use to buy exclusives to make the platform not suck.

I try to use GoG nowadays becasue I really like their methods of winning loyalty but they don't have 2016 or 2018 so I'm guessing they won't have this one either.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I just went on axe rampage as the vampire magician,goddamn that was fun,i was unstoppable!

The panicked guards even have special lines as they’re looking for you.

“What did he look like?”

“A goddamn vampire magician!”

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Man with Hat posted:

I try to use GoG nowadays becasue I really like their methods of winning loyalty but they don't have 2016 or 2018 so I'm guessing they won't have this one either.

GOG doesn't carry games with DRM so Hitman's always-online stuff probably disqualifies it

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

repiv posted:

GOG doesn't carry games with DRM so Hitman's always-online stuff probably disqualifies it

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Ironic that one of the best things about GOG stops me from buying one of the best games from GOG.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

hahaha so bad! :D Speaking of that outfit, to people comment on it? Like how guards blocking an entrance will be like "nice suit, but you can't come in" or "sweet leather jacket, but I can't let you in" when you approach. It'd be interesting to know if they're slightly weirded-out by 47's 'wifebeater' Lynch outfit

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Man with Hat posted:

In my case it's not loyalty to steam, it's that I don't agree with Epic and their methods

Valve, EA and Ubisoft all engage in the same practices though.

Most of why Valve doesn't HAVE to is because they control such a monopoly of market share.

Jack Trades posted:

Sure, Ubisoft bought BlueByte and now Anno games, for example, are all uPlay exclusives but I'm alright with that because they're also paying for their development instead of just leeching on their playerbase.

lol

This seems like drawing a very odd line in the sand that doesn't really make sense. How are you to definitively say that Epic hasn't helped games get financed? You don't know all the details of those deals.

Man with Hat posted:

GoG is the best, but they don't have everything.

If you're working with Valve, EA, Ubisoft or Epic, they're all evil and will all sell you out for a buck. Such is.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hamelekim posted:

Nnnngh, nope. Still not going to. I have a line.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Those preorder suits are loving wank tbh lol. Not that there'd be any point getting them if they weren't, since you'll presumably still be able to unlock the mascot costume :v:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
What would really be nice is if oculus came out with a new VR headset this fall so that I could play the game on that. Because there is no way it is PSVR only.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I had a lot of fun doing the Sapienza escalation where you have to kill the two lab security guys with a katana whilst wearing the plague doctor disguise. Maybe it's a testament to how well-designed the Sapienza map in general is, but I liked how it generally didn't require any speed run or trick shot nonsense. That said, I'm never going to try and SA it, lol.

I actually wear a plague doctor costume for my day job.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

hahaha so bad! :D Speaking of that outfit, to people comment on it? Like how guards blocking an entrance will be like "nice suit, but you can't come in" or "sweet leather jacket, but I can't let you in" when you approach. It'd be interesting to know if they're slightly weirded-out by 47's 'wifebeater' Lynch outfit

Nah most suits like that use generic lines. The Requiem suit has special lines where people comment on how blinding it is, not sure about the others from the same pack.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

This seems like drawing a very odd line in the sand that doesn't really make sense. How are you to definitively say that Epic hasn't helped games get financed? You don't know all the details of those deals.

Because they don’t offer those deals until the game is almost done.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 28, 2020

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Dabir posted:

Nah most suits like that use generic lines. The Requiem suit has special lines where people comment on how blinding it is, not sure about the others from the same pack.

Is that.... pitbull?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Blasmeister posted:

Is that.... pitbull?

"Did you see what he looked like?"
"He was bald... and he was wearing the Sony PS4 pre-order suit."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

lol

Lmao.

You got literally anything to back that idea up are you just pulling it out of your rear end wholesale as you usually do? Because I sure as hell never heard of Epic financing the development of any of the EGS exclusives.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
The GOG launcher also has a pretty great integration feature for pretty much every other storefront, so you can launch their games through GOG. Gets around the Epic launcher being terrible (though you still need it to be installed unfortunately).

The only thing negative I can think about GOG is that their twitter used to send out pretty chuddy messages. Not sure if it's happened recently.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Lmao.

You got literally anything to back that idea up are you just pulling it out of your rear end wholesale as you usually do? Because I sure as hell never heard of Epic financing the development of any of the EGS exclusives.

They give them money don't they? Or do you think those companies are agreeing out of the kindness of their hearts?

Cute that you're insulting me for "pulling it out of my rear end" when its just... fundamental business? Economics? Do I really have to even explain this?

Epic doesn't force people, they pay them. Lmao. If the business accepts that offer, that means its worth it to them. They think its helping them. You coming along and then judging that as somehow bad or immoral is weird. The game studios are free to accept whatever offer benefits them the most.

Somehow if you pay a company to make a game exclusive to your platform that's okay, but if a company invests to make a game and then you pay them back so the game is exclusive that's HORRIBLE. What. Why.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 28, 2020

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

They give them money don't they? Or do you think those companies are agreeing out of the kindness of their hearts?

Are you stupid or just pretending?
I'm noticing that you're conveniently ignoring every other point directed at you.

Jack Trades posted:

Because I sure as hell never heard of Epic financing the development of any of the EGS exclusives.

Pirate Jet posted:

Because they don’t offer those deals until the game is almost done.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Epic doesn't force people, they pay them. Lmao. If the business accepts that offer, that means its worth it to them. They think its helping them. You coming along and then judging that as somehow bad or immoral is weird. The game studios are free to accept whatever offer benefits them the most.

I'm gonna give you one million dollars to punch your mother. I'm not going to force you to do that, you're free to decline the offer.
What are you going to do?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Are you stupid or just pretending?
I'm noticing that you're conveniently ignoring every other point directed at you.

Can you please not be a jerk about this. We can just not have the conversation if you're going to be consistently mean and condescending.

We're talking about videogames man chill the gently caress out.

This is turning into a semantic argument over what "financing" means, which is pointless. But why is it evil to pay a company after they've already invested some of their own money in a game?

Bungie put like 5 years into halo and then Microsoft paid them to be exclusive to Xbox, was that evil like Epic? How many months before release does the payment have to transact in order to be acceptable? Its completely arbitrary.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Can you please not be a jerk about this. We can just not have the conversation if you're going to be consistently mean and condescending.

We're talking about videogames man chill the gently caress out.

Zaphod42 posted:

A whole year?!

Dude, you literally started it and now you're playing the innocent little victim that's everyone else being a meanie to? gently caress off with that poo poo and stop ignoring every point that's inconvenient to you. THEN we could have a conversation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Dude, you literally started it and now you're playing the innocent little victim that's everyone else being a meanie to? gently caress off with that poo poo and stop ignoring every point that's inconvenient to you. THEN we could have a conversation.

Yes, me asking you why you choose to do a thing you posted about is exactly the same as you calling me stupid. I see.

We're in the hitman thread. People here are big hitman fans. It seems pretty natural to me to wonder why you'd wait for 12 whole months to play the new game. You calling me stupid isn't the same. And I'm not ignoring any points at all. If anything, you are. You're now calling me stupid instead of responding to the very fair point I made. Was Microsoft funding Halo the same thing? How many months exactly is okay or not okay? If its 6 months is that okay? a year? two years? Do you have to pay before any code is written?

Its just not how business works out every time.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 28, 2020

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes, me asking you why you choose to do a thing you posted about is exactly the same as you calling me stupid. I see.

We're in the hitman thread. People here are big hitman fans. It seems pretty natural to me to wonder why you'd wait for 12 whole months to play the new game. You calling me stupid isn't the same.

And I'm not ignoring any points at all. If anything, you are.
If you want to have a conversation then stop playing dumb. Literally nobody with half a brain buys it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

If you want to have a conversation then stop playing dumb. Literally nobody with half a brain buys it.

You're the one who seems to be playing dumb.

Game studios are business and have money, but most are small and would leverage themselves heavily just over a single title, risking bankruptcy on failure. If they choose to make some deal to stay afloat now that they're not published by Square, that's their own dang business and good for them. Its real odd to think that its noble if Epic gave IO money after they broke up with Square, but doing it now that the game is mostly done is super unacceptable evil. You know Valve takes a huge cut, right? They're not a charity. Let IO get paid if they want to.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Always seemed pretty dumb to me to be against epic but not valve. Both are billion dollar corporations that exploit their employees and gently caress over their own customers. No ethical consumption under capitalism, but I still want to play the hitting mans game, it's not like you're any less complicit if you wait a year.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Zaphod42 posted:

You're the one who seems to be playing dumb.
I don't think he's playing.

Seriously though, it's one thing to be weirdly aggro about a single storefront because exclusives have inconvenienced you but pretending that money doesn't finance things is some nth dimensional brainlord poo poo :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Those suits are great, they look like someone dipped 47 in paint :D

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Always seemed pretty dumb to me to be against epic but not valve. Both are billion dollar corporations that exploit their employees and gently caress over their own customers. No ethical consumption under capitalism, but I still want to play the hitting mans game, it's not like you're any less complicit if you wait a year.
"if you think about it, both stores are equally bad" is a great take on par with the idiocy Zaphod always spews when he shows up to poo poo up threads while defending the honor of EGS.

orcane fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 28, 2020

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Zaphod, when you're having a tedious loving slapfight in every single thread you're in, have you thought about what might be the one mutual element in all of them?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Zaphod, when you're having a tedious loving slapfight in every single thread you're in, have you thought about what might be the one mutual element in all of them?

To be fair to Zaphod, I see Jack Trades in very similar circumstances quite often too, so I'm not sure if the problems are entirely one-sided, in that regard! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
For what it's worth, IO explicitly said the deal with Epic is what helped them self-publish this one:

quote:

“As an independent studio, our partnership with Epic has given us the freedom to create Hitman 3 exactly as we imagined and self-publish the game to our players directly,” IO explained.
Source: https://www.essentiallysports.com/hitman-3-to-be-an-epic-games-store-exclusive-for-a-year-esports-news/