Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

TK-42-1 posted:

All of the keys are descendants of Zoss' key, right? Like, each one resonates with a particular universe but they're all because he ripped the master resonance from Metatron. Would it be possible to cut off that power from the master switch/key? I assume that when demiurges give some of their power to the emissaries they can pull it back at any time.

All keys were created from Zoss' key, yes. Mechanically.. yeah, it seems reasonable for the Master Key to be able to reclaim its power. I don't think that'll happen, though - I think it would be really narratively dissatisfying for Allison to just go "oh, wow, why don't I just make you all normal monsters instead of demiurges?" and magic out their keys. I'm sure Abbadon could probably manage to pull off that story beat in a way that would work, but... I've never liked the "I could have resolved everything from the start if I just knew this One Weird Trick (demiurges HATE it!)" style of resolution, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The keys resonate with the names of god, the master key resonates with all 777,777 of them, the 7 partial keys only resonate with 111,111 names each. The names may have been copied from the master key but they’re going to resonate regardless of what happens to any other key.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lights posted:

I've never liked the "I could have resolved everything from the start if I just knew this One Weird Trick (demiurges HATE it!)" style of resolution, personally.
It worked once, in Wizard of Oz, and people copied it without recognizing why it fit the themes of the story.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

At the end of the comic Allison goes full Syndrome and gives everyone a perfect copy of the Key of Kings so everyone can be an equally powerful kung fu punch wizard

"And when everyone's royal... no one will be."

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The key trick could totally work... if only you could simultaneously get all 7 demiurges to sit still inside a ritual circle for a solid minute.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Also, they'll still be powerful as hell. Salami Dave ripped his out of the skull of a demiurge. Gog overwhelmed the first demiurge to open her world's portal.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Donkringel posted:

*Perspective shifts to Alison's old Sorority Sisters, who are running down a street towards a bomb shelter with fearful looks on their faces. Behind them, in the sky, a giant portal swirls. Mottom's city has already passed through, followed by countless military sail ships. Fighter jets streak towards them, but some have already become unguided, flower petals streaming out of the cockpits....*

Probably an improvement, all things considered.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

:words::spergin: about Keys, Royalty, and White Chain incoming.

I dunno if the keys are even as important as folks on the wheel seems to think they are.
Could just be another farce ala Royalty, petty demiurges never catching on they were squabbling over the keys to the kingdom when the window was left open, that sort of thing.
Ostensibly the keys were superweapons in addition to working with the King's Gate to open ways to worlds; but how much of the key being said superweapon was the key itself, how much from giving the owner a crutch capable of supporting an inflated ego?
An ego suitable for conquering and other incredibly stupid things a noodle vendor would consider a waste of time very much not worth the headache?
(Which is to say, I believe the pursuit of keys is another one of YISUN's little jokes.)

Now, I started typing this up meaning to discuss White Chain, so I'll get to it: The mark on White Chain's noggin looks suspiciously like a key is meant to go there, but I doubt that a key needs to or even should.
In my ramble about Royalty prior, I brought up that those pursuing Royalty are blinded idiots chasing after something they will never achieve, while those closest to Royalty discarded the pursuit to go cook noodles or whatnot.

I suspect there is a very similar case with the keys, and that White Chain has, wholly unintentionally (the only state Royalty can be truly approached) achieved a state as close to Royalty as one can get (as actually achieving Royalty is a farce) with the mark being testament to that.
Which would suggest, If the supposed superpower of the keys is indeed a farce, White Chain has outgrown the "power" they offer.
"But what of traveling to other worlds?"

I've declared my belief prior she isn't exactly an angel at this point, but a solidified (Calcified?) soulflame.

Her Want was simply strong enough that she shed her armor and became who she wished to be.
Thus, traversing the void ought to be no more difficult than it was before; if anything shedding her shell ought to make it easier without the burden of an unwanted form keeping her back.
So with traversing the void being a non-issue, that leaves the actual traveling to other universes.

Going to Zoss, as far as I can tell, he did not have a key when he entered Throne so long ago, he just broke in and tore through the place; the keys and the King's Doors coming later.
(Also the remaining Demiurges who came later, who I assume either followed after Zoss or otherwise made their own paths to Throne.)
So traveling between the universes without a key ought to be possible as well, if one wants to traverse without a key bad enough they might very well find a means to do so.

So the key offers power White Chain outgrew, opens the way to places White Chain could (eventually) find a way to already; and while wielding one would be a powerful public declaration of "I beat one of the demiurges and took their key", it runs the risk of diluting future victories by instilling doubt how much was the wielder on their own and how much was the supposedly powerful key.
(Of course, otherwise carrying it on their person ought to make the same statement minus the downside. Plus the looks on the remaining demiurges faces when they see someone using a key of kings as a broach or flint for lighting fire to cook noodles.)
(Ala using the fire of creation in the manner a hungry individual might use a rock. The comedy of this will be lost on the demiurges, I'm sure.)

------------
TLDR: White Chain punched so hard she became what she must, and doesn't need to wield a key of kings to prove anything.
(Also she achieved as close to Royalty as can be achieved, might one day prove the keys are rubbish, and very likely annoying the hell out of those who haven't caught on that Royalty + Keys are just YISUN's sense of humour at work.)
------------
Thoughts?

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 28, 2020

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah the keys arent the only path to royalty. Theyre incredibly powerful tools that give you a leg-up, but still tools.
and they go in the forehead because thats where the ajna chakra/third eye is, and that signifies higher consciousness or enlightenment.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Who What Now posted:

At the end of the comic Allison goes full Syndrome and gives everyone a perfect copy of the Key of Kings so everyone can be an equally powerful kung fu punch wizard
And when everyone's Royalty........No one will be.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Arcanuse posted:

Now, I started typing this up meaning to discuss White Chain, so I'll get to it: The mark on White Chain's noggin looks suspiciously like a key is meant to go there, but I doubt that a key needs to or even should.
In my ramble about Royalty prior, I brought up that those pursuing Royalty are blinded idiots chasing after something they will never achieve, while those closest to Royalty discarded the pursuit to go cook noodles or whatnot.

I suspect there is a very similar case with the keys, and that White Chain has, wholly unintentionally (the only state Royalty can be truly approached) achieved a state as close to Royalty as one can get (as actually achieving Royalty is a farce) with the mark being testament to that.
Which would suggest, If the supposed superpower of the keys is indeed a farce, White Chain has outgrown the "power" they offer.
"But what of traveling to other worlds?"

I've declared my belief prior she isn't exactly an angel at this point, but a solidified (Calcified?) soulflame.

probably more than half of the characters in the comic have some form of forehead mark, and all anything is is a manifestation of the flame, random side characters and teacups inclusive.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1299428575678955520

I guess we can all go home now?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The End!

Good Moral!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
That was a long time coming.

Now, the choice - On one hand, your short-term girlfriend and sole link to your pre-disaster experience, whom you haven't seen in two years; On the other, you have been told you are the prophesied king of the universe and will rule over all and have all the riches and ladies you could want should you simply knife her in the back when her guard is down and claim her key.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Also was momentarily hoping that Allison would just no sell Zaid and hug Princess and Nyave

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

M_Gargantua posted:

Also was momentarily hoping that Allison would just no sell Zaid and hug Princess and Nyave

He might be a creep and/or jerk, she might be gay af, but he's the only other normal-rear end human from their Earth who's been through this multiverse poo poo and they need to hug that out. :unsmith:

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 28, 2020

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Alison just gives him the key and walks away. That's what we will all hate.

Then the next book explores why it was a bad idea and fixing it.

This is a good moral quandary though. Saed and Alison has both been told the key is for him, but Alison is the one who put the work in. Feels kind of cheap letting him take it just because. Kind of feels like "the patriarchy" levels of expectation here.

Actually wait how the gently caress does she give the key anyway? That was a whole big question in the first book the White Chain and Cio didn't know how to pry that key out of her forehead. Have they figured it out now or has the expectation been that theyll need to kill Alison to get the key out?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Donkringel posted:

Actually wait how the gently caress does she give the key anyway? That was a whole big question in the first book the White Chain and Cio didn't know how to pry that key out of her forehead. Have they figured it out now or has the expectation been that theyll need to kill Alison to get the key out?

Zoss managed it; both fully giving it to Allison and also giving out the parts of it to other demiurges. She can probably do it, though she might not know how. And even less want to.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
She's at the most confidant she's been in a while, White Chain is on team gently caress Their Rules now, and Zaid is probably gonna show he neither wants nor can fulfill the role, there's no way she gives him the key at least for now.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Everything is good and happy. The moment we hate is coming soon.

Someworm is going to throw a spanner.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1299428926125756421

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
So glad to see we got a happy ending with no sudden twist that we're going to hate.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Broke: The End, all is goodness.
Woke: He's been Wormed.
Bespoke: And now, she is too.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Really hoping Zaid doesn't end up being an rear end in a top hat/evil to push the story forward. There's enough dumb assholes wanting a piece of Allison already.

My prediction is that whatever Gog has cooked up will end up very badly for him in the very near future.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Zaid ate the worm

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Wyld Karde posted:

So glad to see we got a happy ending with no sudden twist that we're going to hate.

I gotta be honest, if the whole "everyone will be upset at the end of the chapter" thing was an actual goal rather than a prediction, it has utterly failed for me at this point because this has been too drat good. I have absolutely no idea where things are going after every update but every step so far has been crazy awesome. Short of Allison suddenly putting on a MAGA hat and going full chud, I can't think of any nasty twist that could poison the coolness of the chapter enough really, though I can see some sort of cliffhanger in the "love to hate" category maybe.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thank you Allison!

But the Prince is in another castle!

(I'm just worms)

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The castle is also worms.

Come to wormworld, where it’s all worms.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
global worming

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
oops! all worms

edit: wait what if he slips her a worm right there

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

SardonicTyrant posted:

"Oh Allison, if only there was someone who loved you"

*impales White Chain with the Masamune sword*

*let's go of Nyave letting her fall into the stampede below*

*punches through Princess with a fist made of magma*

*shoots Bambi's mom for good measure*

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
Zaid's going to take the key from Allison.
... I think I'd hate that?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Didn't Operant say ten thousand years ago that the most likely relationship between Zaid and Allison later in the comic would be "good friends"?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Victis posted:

Alison doesn't really give a poo poo about Zaid the individual if she were to be honest with herself. It's helping her put one foot in front of the other and allowing her to get into it with demiurges, but there's no way she's emotionally invested beyond it being some abstract mission and the only thing giving her a purpose currently. It's why she didn't know how to feel after seeing him.

She'd be completely adrift without the goal which is why she's loathe to give it up, but lol if you think there's something beyond that at this point

:hmmyes:

This page rules. I hope that Alison chose Zaid to lose her virginity to because he has that same core of furious dumbassery she does. If he is a generally good dude, an Earth human w/o super powers could bring something neat to the group dynamic.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I love that shirt so much

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
This is a very sweet page.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Xand_Man posted:

Realtalk Abaddon should go into clothing design.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Zaid and Allison are just glad to finally have found someone who'll get their anime references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Xand_Man posted:

Despite earlier theories, it turns out the reason it says top is because she kept trying to wear them as pants at first.