Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I got a character who wont get back up after combat. They have medical marvel, but even after combat ends they aren't reviving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mehrunes posted:

I'm just baffled that after making something as modern and sophisticated as Bard's Tale 4 they would actually double down on the skill bloat of Wasteland 2 when they were making this.

But... They didn't double down? There's less skills than 2. Like, you could even argue about maintaining too much bloat, but they actually reduced it significantly. 2 had 30 skills, 3 has 22.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
So far the balance seems really good. All the skills and all the attributes have a purpose (depending on your character). I'm finding myself leveling up more support skills than combat skills for most of my characters

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The subtle gag in the final fight of the Clown Museum is A+. I got really frustrated at that fight and thought it was bullshit until I stopped myself and realized what the joke there was.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Poly is great.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just played the first hour or so but this game is doing all the right CRPG things so far. I also love my custom squad and can't wait to get into wacky capers with them.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

MorphineMike posted:

3rd attempted, different weapon setup again, again made it to the second fight without an ammo drop for one characters weapon, and they start with no extra.

Happened to me twice with a heavy and I'm seeing people complain about it on Reddit too. This seems like a really dumb early game oversight.

A Sometimes Food posted:

I got a character who wont get back up after combat. They have medical marvel, but even after combat ends they aren't reviving.

Many people have reported variations on this. Also if you die outside of combat, the character doesn't come back. I am staying the hell away from that perk.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

A Sometimes Food posted:

You need to use an item. I forgot the name ("... spike"), but the description says its an adrenaline injection.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Nektu posted:

You need to use an item. I forgot the name ("... spike"), but the description says its an adrenaline injection.

You only need to use that item if they lose all 3 "bleed out" turns before the fight ends, otherwise they just stand up.

You can also just go to a doctor if that happens and they can res your guys, I just had to do that versus a big clown fight that I think I was underleveled for cause I limped away with 4/6 characters dead like that.

Catpain Blackudder
Jul 25, 2009

Cluck, cluck, gibber, gibber, my old man's a mushroom, et cetera.
So the go to quirk for Snipers seems to be Death Wish to get 2 shots per turn at the expense of having armour. Without it you max out at 11AP, 1 shy of 2 shots

I know the armour itself is pointless on a sniper but do you miss out on anything major from not being able to have armour mods?

Are Coordination and Death Wish the only way to 'permanently' increase AP? do you ever get +AP buffs from Trinkets / Armour Mods?

Sadomasochist (33% Damage Buff) + Max Coordination + 1AP from something would achive the same thing but better?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Catpain Blackudder posted:

So the go to quirk for Snipers seems to be Death Wish to get 2 shots per turn at the expense of having armour. Without it you max out at 11AP, 1 shy of 2 shots

I know the armour itself is pointless on a sniper but do you miss out on anything major from not being able to have armour mods?

Are Coordination and Death Wish the only way to 'permanently' increase AP? do you ever get +AP buffs from Trinkets / Armour Mods?

Sadomasochist (33% Damage Buff) + Max Coordination + 1AP from something would achive the same thing but better?

Keep in mind that you can retain 2 unspent AP from turn to turn so your comparison should be 4 shots to 3 shots between builds that hit 12 ap and ones that hit 10 or 11.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

It's probably too early to answer that, but I also went with Sadomasochist instead of Death Wish on my Sniper under the assumption that there will be worthwhile armour effects you don't wanna miss out on. There's a YT guy that claimed there are AP bonuses you can get from armor, fwiw.

By the way, is it just me, or is the... pre-combat kind of janky? It feels like I'm supposed to micromanage all of my units to put them in a good position out of the enemies' detection range before taking the first shot, and it looks like it's gonna get tedious. Or am I just too much in the XCOM alpha-striking mindset

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

blizzardvizard posted:

By the way, is it just me, or is the... pre-combat kind of janky? It feels like I'm supposed to micromanage all of my units to put them in a good position out of the enemies' detection range before taking the first shot, and it looks like it's gonna get tedious. Or am I just too much in the XCOM alpha-striking mindset

I've only played on Supreme Jerk, but in my experience micromanaging positioning before initiating combat is 100% necessary and will typically mean the difference between an easy stomp and getting slaughtered.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

blizzardvizard posted:

I've had a bunch of issues with pre-combat, in that I often line up a shot with my sniper and take it, a conversation starts and finishes, the shot goes off and all my dudes end up moving by themselves to weird places. It only happens with some of the combats that can trigger conversations.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Oh God it's Ronald Reagan. He's yelling at me about communists.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

SweetBro posted:

Poly is great.

RIP poly. Slain by jihadist pigs for your health pool was only 69. Nice... :(

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 29, 2020

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

blizzardvizard posted:

It's probably too early to answer that, but I also went with Sadomasochist instead of Death Wish on my Sniper under the assumption that there will be worthwhile armour effects you don't wanna miss out on. There's a YT guy that claimed there are AP bonuses you can get from armor, fwiw.

The precombat seems to actively disencourage you from trying to resolve situations peacefully because if it turns out that a situation can't be resolved without a fight then there's a drat high change you're going to get ganked before you even have a chance to act. So now I guess I'm playing as a deranged 'shoot first ask questions later' type because I'd rather not have to reload the game (and enjoy the wonderful load times) if the game springs a fight on me and kills me before I get a turn.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Bland posted:

The precombat seems to actively disencourage you from trying to resolve situations peacefully because if it turns out that a situation can't be resolved without a fight then there's a drat high change you're going to get ganked before you even have a chance to act. So now I guess I'm playing as a deranged 'shoot first ask questions later' type because I'd rather not have to reload the game (and enjoy the wonderful load times) if the game springs a fight on me and kills me before I get a turn.

As a cute aside to this, you actually lose out on experience and loot for the combat encounters that do let you talk/intimidate people down and are pretty much never compensated comparatively.

It's absolutely not the end of the world because you can make it up later with random encounters but it's a really baffling decision to not at least equalize the exp rewards for clearing the encounter.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

blizzardvizard posted:

Yes I do that too, and it doesn't seem to matter much on the lower difficulties. I'm playing on Normal difficulty for my first run and alpha strike is much less of a thing than in XCOM for sure.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Kanos posted:

I've only played on Supreme Jerk, but in my experience micromanaging positioning before initiating combat is 100% necessary and will typically mean the difference between an easy stomp and getting slaughtered.

Hmm, alright. I was thinking of restarting on Supreme, too. I guess I can just get used to it.

How are melee characters, by the way? I started with a Brawling guy, and while the game did warn me that they start off weak, I didn't think it literally means wet noodle levels. Are swords/blunt weapons better?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I swear, Rally's aoe is the buggiest poo poo. I've sometimes had it not go off on anyone in the party even though everyone is literally touching.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The robots you get access to in combat with Mechanics are really good. The only downside is that it seems like if there are too many units in an encounter the game just crashes. :v:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

I swear, Rally's aoe is the buggiest poo poo. I've sometimes had it not go off on anyone in the party even though everyone is literally touching.

Yeah I cannot figure out how to get it to predictably tag the whole party. Sometimes it will get my sniper across the screen but not brawler next to my leader even though both seem to be within sight

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This game is just what I needed right now and it’s rapidly climbing up my list for 2020. Great proof of what InXile can do with a bigger budget, which is good because apparently Microsoft gave them a massive one to produce a AAA RPG now that they’re first party. Excited to see what they come up with.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't have a PC that can play this game, how are the console versions?

e: PS4 in particular. I saw some people mention bugs on gamepass...

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 29, 2020

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Man I gotta be honest I wasn't expecting much after Wasteland 2 really disappointed me but from the jump 3 has been great and I can't stop playing.

Really reminds me of the transition Obsidian did with PoE 1 to Poe 2 where 1 I didn't really enjoy but 2 is one of my favorite RPG's of all time.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'd like to know about PS4 performance/controls as well.

Also, is there a means of snapping the cursor to combat targets and looting tiny bullshit without having to manually walk characters over?

Divinity 2 had a radial cursor you could pop that would put all the interactive poo poo in a list for you. Real nice qol feature.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 29, 2020

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Looting one person loots everyone in the area. Unless they were someone that was arleady dead before combat they have to be looted separate. The controller controls are actually pretty good. I was on PC though not PS4.

Also I figured out on accident: (Minor mechanical spoilers that might ruin your life) loot is randomized in containers when you open it and changes on load

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

cheesetriangles posted:

Looting one person loots everyone in the area. Unless they were someone that was arleady dead before combat they have to be looted separate. The controller controls are actually pretty good. I was on PC though not PS4.

Also I figured out on accident: (Minor mechanical spoilers that might ruin your life) loot is randomized in containers when you open it and changes on load

This depends on the container - some containers (stuff like the ammo boxes and med boxes I think) are randomized, others have set contents.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Random loot has no place in a game like this. Speaking of DOS2, that’s a lesson every developer should learn. Though if it’s divided up between certain container types and if the random loot is only consumable resources rather than gear I guess it can be forgiven.

Good to hear about the loot everybody thing. In combat, can you cycle between enemies with R1/L1 or whatever?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'm not sure whether I really like the actually mechanical gameplay experience yet but I can't keep playing to find out because of the load times and lack of fast travel. Travelling in the overworld and between maps is so annoying it's killed any drive to keep playing the game. It sounds so stupid because it's really not that long relative to the actual combat and dialog, but for some reason it really stands out in my mind ever load screen or time I need to cross a map.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
The load times are fairly normal for me with a fast SSD and by normal I mean ps4 speed, which I can deal with.

I'm playing on Ranger difficulty but while I am enjoying the game, its really noticable when I end up underleveled because I get smoked.

I am using a Brawler, Sniper, Two ARs, a Medic and Handgun character.

The Handgun character is a story companion so I am waiting to swap her out for heavy weapons first chance I get

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Infinity Gaia posted:

The subtle gag in the final fight of the Clown Museum is A+. I got really frustrated at that fight and thought it was bullshit until I stopped myself and realized what the joke there was.

Wait what was the joke? I just kinda lucked my way through that fight

Not as hard as the stupid dentist fight though. I'm sure it's just me sucking but these clowns were a weird difficulty spike

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Wait what was the joke? I just kinda lucked my way through that fight

Not as hard as the stupid dentist fight though. I'm sure it's just me sucking but these clowns were a weird difficulty spike

Spoiled because it's a decent joke if you think about it:
After you kill the main boss, if the car is still alive, it'll start spamming more clowns. I kept killing them as is the way to go in RPGs, always start with the adds. Except they kept coming. And at first I was irritated at the infinite spawns until I realized, duh. It's a CLOWN CAR. Of course there's infinite clowns in there.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Spoiled because it's a decent joke if you think about it:
After you kill the main boss, if the car is still alive, it'll start spamming more clowns. I kept killing them as is the way to go in RPGs, always start with the adds. Except they kept coming. And at first I was irritated at the infinite spawns until I realized, duh. It's a CLOWN CAR. Of course there's infinite clowns in there.

...I just realized I haven't done that fight yet oops. I somehow read "clown museum" as the one under the Warrens. I'm glad I spoiled it though, that probably would've annoyed me!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
You really should do that fight before doing any serious exploration, the reward is an amazing gun for your car that turns it into a ridiculous one shot machine.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I put the wrong points in my guy that I wanted, and didn't feel like starting a new game so I opened the .xml file in notepad ++ to give him the points he needs. Problem is, I dunno if it's protection from tampering or w/e but a lot of of was gibberish. I still was able to suss out where the "available attribute points" part was and changed the value. Game seems fine. Hopefully it won't break in the future.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So far character building has been a mix of 'put points in whatever' and 'regret my choices a half hour later as I make uninformed decisions'

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Zore posted:

You really should do that fight before doing any serious exploration, the reward is an amazing gun for your car that turns it into a ridiculous one shot machine.

Is it over in the area right beside the Bizarre itself on the world map? I skipped it at first due to apprehension if the clowns were a faction I wanted to pissed off or not. Now that I've completed the Bizarre I was going to clear it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

This game doesn't really have a respec but so long as you haven't spent any skill books you can just make a new Ranger back at base, who'll come at the average party level and is fully customizable... So it's awkward but you can just make the exact same appearance to your character and pretend the old one never existed. You can also use your infinite supply of people to have a dedicated armor/weapon customizer as well as a barter bot (because the level 7 barter perk makes you INSANE amounts of money).

It's still occasionally worth having barter levels on a party member though, as it comes up in conversations pretty frequently (usually as a Give Me More Money option).