Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lol, from shameful gamer phone to shamefully bragging about the gaming performance of your phones in a few short posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

"as you can see by this performance graph i am a savvy consumer who was well motivated buying my particular $1000 phone"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I use a 3? year old sony android and I have never once thought "oh dang poo poo my phone is slow"

stop doing things with your phones that you are supposed to do with a computer. It's like watching my students try to paint in Photoshop with a trackpad

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Management posted:

the iPhone X is almost 3 years old and is destroying every android. I was told in this very thread that android chips are competitive now.
no, literally the only thing qualcomm isn't as big an embarrassment in is cpu performance (which is more or less what was said) and it's probably more owed to the a13 not actually being a huge jump over the last gen. gpu, power consumption, etc are all still a mess because it's qualcomm we're talking about.

also here's a fun quote from the gaming phone review:

anandtech posted:

The regular non-gaming Snapdragon 865 phone was just cooler than the ROG Phone III, and was able to maintain higher performance over prolonged periods of time than the ASUS device

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lol, from shameful gamer phone to shamefully bragging about the gaming performance of your phones in a few short posts
p sure most of the people here who game, if they play game at all, on their powerful desktop machine instead

the point is that people are paying something like 3x times more in the se case for something that's inferior just because reasons

also no poo poo you can do non cpu/gpu intensive stuff just fine on phones with older qualcomm cpus, but it's the same reason it's idiotic to buy a core 2 duo desktop in tyool 2020

Encrypted fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 29, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Encrypted posted:

also no poo poo you can do non cpu/gpu intensive stuff just fine on phones with older qualcomm cpus, but it's the same reason it's idiotic to buy a core 2 duo desktop in tyool 2020

the comparison that is closer is making fun of someone buying a laptop not getting a 4th gen ryzen 9, despite the performance being way higher than almost anyone needs. except redoubled because these are phones.

it is of course good that the iphones are fast, and the gamer phone is extremely stupid for this and other reasons, but the "oh yeah look at how fast the phone i bought is" from people who would have (for plenty good reasons) bought an iphone anyway (and been just as happy) even if they were slower, is real silly brand cheerleading.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it's making fun of anroids because they're obsessed with specs and benchmarks and overclocking phones while comparing everything to cRapple isheep

but the iPhone is both cheaper and faster most of the time and you don't even have to get a special case with a fan in it or whatever

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it's making fun of anroids because they're obsessed with specs and benchmarks and overclocking phones while comparing everything to cRapple isheep

but the iPhone is both cheaper and faster most of the time and you don't even have to get a special case with a fan in it or whatever

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

the ryzen 9 comparison is kinda bad unless ryzen 9 can perform better than the lake architecture at lower clocks in single threaded apps in general because that’s what we were looking at on the mobile side

but lol at pointing out how bad the hardware is compare to a widely available, cheaper or even older competitor is brand cheerleading

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think the Zen architecture actually does have a higher IPC than contemporary Intel chips, in addition to MORE CORES and better power efficiency.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

what are the chances that an android phone detects benchmark apps running and adjusts throttling or overlocks or whatever. I dunno if that's even possible but im asking.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

power botton posted:

what are the chances that an android phone detects benchmark apps running and adjusts throttling or overlocks or whatever. I dunno if that's even possible but im asking.

still pops up occasionally lol https://www.anandtech.com/show/15703/mobile-benchmark-cheating-mediatek

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

lol @ "sport" mode and faking benchmarks for a telephone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
gonna stiffen the suspension and stance my phone, brb

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Tesla truly is the android of cars

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

power botton posted:

100%. Samsung phones regularly do this

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

android: vicious underhanded fights for 2nd place

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

power botton posted:

android: vicious underhanded fights for 2nd place

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i think you have it backward

they have a hatred of apple so they wont even consider an iphone and because theyre then forced to get an android they figure theyre already getting something that at best is half as fast as a three year old iphone so they better look at the specs lest they end up with one of the slower androids on top of that

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

I think the Zen architecture actually does have a higher IPC than contemporary Intel chips, in addition to MORE CORES and better power efficiency.

yeah if only they can scale zen up to 5+ghz, but in the end the lake architecture is still fast for single threaded stuff disregarding the power consumption and heat output since they are on desktop anyway

also if only most apps can do multithreading worth a drat

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08/google-pixel-4a-review-the-simple-basic-reasonable-google-phone/2/ posted:

The Pixel 4a will not win any benchmark awards. CPU benchmarks put the Snapdragon 730G in the range of a flagship from 2017 or 2018. The real downside is the GPU, which is slower than what shipped in 2016's Pixel 1.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So it’s less powerful, more expensive, and probably gets worse battery life than an iPhone 8? Ahahaha.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 31, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the review stops just short of saying "you should buy an iphone se instead"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

the review stops just short of saying "you should buy an iphone se instead"

there was an android blog that literally posted this when it dropped, saying there’s no point in buying anything else at that price point. it’s way faster, will be much better supported, and has a number of features (waterproof ness, wireless charging) that simply aren’t available in androids at its price point

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

wireless charging is such a weird thing to skimp on, the earliest nexus phones had it at low price points nearly a decade ago

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

honestly still want to buy an updated nexus 4 if you know you know

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

all the pre and touchpads had it, too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

remembering the time the best android tablet was a touchpad with a rom

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

kind of ok with wireless charging just going away, it is not huge, but it remains a very real waste of energy for extremely modest convenience.

indeed really hard to see why you'd get the 4a over an iphone se, and i say that despite still thinking that the performance is bound to be just fine.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I sorta miss the fingerprint scanner in our masked-up era.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I definitely do. I used to use the pull down gesture all the time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

crepeface posted:

I definitely do. I used to use the pull down gesture all the time.

we know, we've read the police blotter

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
sarnsung is launching the galaxy fold 2 in a couple of weeks. they have answered critics of the first generation by making the phone more expensive

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

sarnsung is launching the galaxy fold 2 in a couple of weeks. they have answered critics of the first generation by making the phone more expensive

$3000 for a samsung product lmaoooo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The only Anroid device I would buy is an updated Nexus one. Trackball supremacy forever.

I would kill for a new Palm Pre though.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for some android from inside the thread i'm going to upgrade the camera module for my phone: https://www.fairphone.com/en/camera-upgrades-for-fairphone-3/

could have gotten a better camera right from the start for less money making more obvious choices, but it is pretty interesting.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’ve never heard of fairphone. this is the most interesting android phone I’ve seen in a long time. they’ve taken a smart approach to their product.

the thing I don’t see is guaranteed OS updates, which is one of the things that obsoletes android devices.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's also only available to people in EU member countries, which limits the availability somewhat

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

the thing I don’t see is guaranteed OS updates, which is one of the things that obsoletes android devices.

in the end you'd need a promise from qualcomm and google in addition to the oem, so while fairphone seems to try pretty hard i think it is best to assume i'll get hosed over sooner than i'd like.

no regrets though. bought it before the new se, so the alternatives were kind of meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009
can you upgrade the soc to something like the 865+ and the modem to x55/x60? or 875 with the modem included? because upgrading other parts seems useless when you are tied down to a slow outdated cpu or radio with no local band support

edit: lol the modules are separated between fairphone 2 and fairphone 3 instead of all sharing similar parts, and they are mostly the useless bits like speaker module or usbc port, no primary hardware like the soc or modem, whats the point
https://shop.fairphone.com/en/spare-parts/filter/choose-your-fairphone/fairphone-3?ref=header

coke fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 3, 2020