Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jetz0r posted:

I would murder someone after the 5th hour of being stuck behind assholes who do 10mph through turns and floor it in passing zones.

This happens to me all the time on 395, what is the deal with those people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
https://twitter.com/IdahoBones/status/1299471929909411843

(Because Democrats are worthless)

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

When one party goes full fash in a system that only supports two parties (first past the post, winner takes all), the non-fash party ends up with a bunch of right wingers who aren't quite far right enough to be fascists but have no business being in a progressive or at all left wing party.

I think if CA was a standalone country the Democrats would split and the GOP would become a largely rural and increasing irrelevant 3rd party.

A girl can dream.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

jetz0r posted:

I would murder someone after the 5th hour of being stuck behind assholes who do 10mph through turns and floor it in passing zones.

Would you prefer they floor it through turns and do 10mph in passing zones?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Would you prefer they floor it through turns and do 10mph in passing zones?

That seems like a problem that would solve itself.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

FCKGW posted:

This happens to me all the time on 395, what is the deal with those people?

Actual answer: they aren't paying particular attention to people behind them and are driving what they feel is a natural speed for the road. They slow down on windy/narrow bits, then the passing zones are straight/wide/downhill, so the speed that feels right for that road is faster.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeadlyMuffin posted:

When one party goes full fash in a system that only supports two parties (first past the post, winner takes all), the non-fash party ends up with a bunch of right wingers who aren't quite far right enough to be fascists but have no business being in a progressive or at all left wing party.

I think if CA was a standalone country the Democrats would split and the GOP would become a largely rural and increasing irrelevant 3rd party.

A girl can dream.

If we keep primarying people from the left this can still happen. The DNC has shown that they only have one playbook for squashing leftist candidates, and it doesn't work nearly as well in local races as it does nationally (Ed Markey is currently beating the DNC's boy by 14 points in MA, and his opponent is a main-branch Kennedy). Even nationally, they had to leverage a pandemic to get Bernie out, and they won't (I hope) be able to do that in '24 or '28.

A girl can dream.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Foxfire_ posted:

Actual answer: they aren't paying particular attention to people behind them and are driving what they feel is a natural speed for the road. They slow down on windy/narrow bits, then the passing zones are straight/wide/downhill, so the speed that feels right for that road is faster.

The best however is when those folks get into the passing lane but don't actually pass the RVs and get back into the position they were at pre-passing zone.

Love Tahoe, hate going and leaving it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

jetz0r posted:

Lol and I say this kindly just lol if you don't pass them going 2x the speed limit in the opposite lane because that poo poo pisses me off beyond all belief. I'm always wondering how they got through life driving like a loving 100+ year old in their porscha cayenne which could definitely take said turns at a solid 50 and not for

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Not really. Even if CA dems were unanimously social democratic in politics, the idea that a US state has the same ability to do expensive things like build a Nordic welfare state that a proper sovereign nation-state does is pretty dumb.

E:speaking of, anyone heard about these guys? Third parties are jokes under the current electoral systen, yeah, but a leftish seperatist Party is at least more interesting than than the greens and libertarians. They’re pretty clearly trying to copy elements of the UK SNP. They obviously have a waaayyy more hostile environment to third parties than the UK, but it’s a more coherent theory of politics than you see in most third parties.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 29, 2020

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

This reminds me: SB-793

This was signed... yesterday? Bans the sale from a Retail Location of Flavored Tobacco Products (which means both Tobacco and Nicotine products as defined). Dad finally found something that stuck for him to drop cigarettes, which is the Zyn Nicotine pouches. I mean he's completely dropped cigarettes altogether, and sure enough, California bans it. What the gently caress California? Sure, it would be better that he wasn't consuming nicotine at all but I'd argue that he's cutting out all the other crap in cigarettes so that's an improvement. I guess they idea is to try and curb children from consuming nicotine because it's flavored? I don't get why there's this thought that adults wouldn't enjoy flavored products instead of just tobacco?

Again, what the gently caress California. Based on the bill's language I'll probably at least be able to order it from out of state, but it's still crap.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

banning smoking on the titanic, as the saying goes

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 29, 2020

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Every few weeks I get the itch to go drive by the beach on the 1, two takeaways from the last three months:

1) Huntington Beach still sucks and I hate every CHUD who lives there.

2) The amount of permanently closed and abandoned businesses growing every week is absolutely staggering. The restaurant industry here is devastated and I’m not sure if it will ever recover in any meaningful fashion. It’s easy to miss. The abandoned businesses still have signs that say “curbside pickup!” The hammer hasn’t fallen yet, but in the next few months things are going to get insanely hosed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Still Dismal posted:

Not really. Even if CA dems were unanimously social democratic in politics, the idea that a US state has the same ability to do expensive things like build a Nordic welfare state that a proper sovereign nation-state does is pretty dumb.

California could give it a serious go if we were allowed to borrow money like the federal government is - we're a massive economy, the heart of the US tech sector, and one of the global bread baskets - California could absolutely secure loans and spend big on social programs while retaining sterling international credit. But yes without that ability we're severely limited in what we are able to do.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sydin posted:

California could give it a serious go if we were allowed to borrow money like the federal government is - we're a massive economy, the heart of the US tech sector, and one of the global bread baskets - California could absolutely secure loans and spend big on social programs while retaining sterling international credit. But yes without that ability we're severely limited in what we are able to do.

We can ban more Ferrets.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
I'm pretty bummed by the flavored nicotine ban because vaping allowed me to 100% quit cigarettes after about 7-8 years of smoking about a half-pack per day. Maybe unflavored will still work, idk. I guess there are online stores, although I don't know if they'll be allowed to ship to California.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Theres gotta be a lot of menthol smokers that are probably pretty pissed about it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BeAuMaN posted:

This reminds me: SB-793

This was signed... yesterday? Bans the sale from a Retail Location of Flavored Tobacco Products (which means both Tobacco and Nicotine products as defined). Dad finally found something that stuck for him to drop cigarettes, which is the Zyn Nicotine pouches. I mean he's completely dropped cigarettes altogether, and sure enough, California bans it. What the gently caress California? Sure, it would be better that he wasn't consuming nicotine at all but I'd argue that he's cutting out all the other crap in cigarettes so that's an improvement. I guess they idea is to try and curb children from consuming nicotine because it's flavored? I don't get why there's this thought that adults wouldn't enjoy flavored products instead of just tobacco?

Again, what the gently caress California. Based on the bill's language I'll probably at least be able to order it from out of state, but it's still crap.

California Über Alles

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

This whole "limiting people's access to pleasures in the place of social democratic policies" angle seems to be one the Democrats really love.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Highbrow Slick posted:

I'm pretty bummed by the flavored nicotine ban because vaping allowed me to 100% quit cigarettes after about 7-8 years of smoking about a half-pack per day. Maybe unflavored will still work, idk. I guess there are online stores, although I don't know if they'll be allowed to ship to California.
By the way it's written, it specifically calls out Retail Location and defines it as a building that sells tobacco products at retail as well as vending machines, so you should be able to get it online by the text of the law. However, some online sellers might get spooked and not ship anyway (or just write off California), but I'm sure you'll be able to find some sellers.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Just gotta hit up your local Foot Clan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEWLnvqOsls

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Theres gotta be a lot of menthol smokers that are probably pretty pissed about it
Local ads have been pitching it as racist because menthol's are the preferred brand of minorities. They have also been pitching it as racist to go against it, because big tobacco targets minorities and its about fighting back and saving our youth.
I don't know which way to vote and not be racist.

If they are going to do it, I don't know why they don't just put in a carve out for shops that have tobacco as a primary business like they did with the indoor smoking ban. You can assume those places would be monitored and card a little more frequently than a liquor store.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I order cigars online, and in CA you have to have someone who is over 21 sign for such a package. All the cigar websites also do an age verification before you get to place an order. I'm personally of the opinion that if someone under 21 is able to finagle a credit card and fake their way through an age verification, they should be allowed to smoke cigars. They've earned it.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

This whole "limiting people's access to pleasures in the place of social democratic policies" angle seems to be one the Democrats really love.

unless its weed then you can have it in a select few states, but u have to increase the prices by at least 88% first :abuela:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Kenning posted:

I order cigars online, and in CA you have to have someone who is over 21 sign for such a package. All the cigar websites also do an age verification before you get to place an order. I'm personally of the opinion that if someone under 21 is able to finagle a credit card and fake their way through an age verification, they should be allowed to smoke cigars. They've earned it.
This is reminding me of my last experience with ordering his nicotine pouches online: It took 3 shipments and nearly two months to arrive; probably my worst experience with UPS. The original one was lost in Oakland; the second one was returned to sender even I told them not to do that, and the third one finally worked out when I, before the first delivery attempt, had it redirected to a UPS Store that accepted Restricted Articles. Things were hella crazy at UPS I guess, and the fact that you need to be there to meet the delivery guy to sign makes it tedious, so it's better when the UPS Store can hold it for you.

On the plus side, the one package that was lost in Oakland eventually showed up (also nearly two months later), and Nicokick said I could keep it so we got a 2 for 1 deal going there. Naturally they didn't mark the returned lost package for 21 year old + verification and signature.

Edit: As a sidenote I've had great experiences with Nicokick (some subsiduary of Northerner Scandanavia) for ordering nicotine pouches. They run personalized coupons as well as regular coupons so sometimes I'm able to score a pretty good deal compared to what he'd pay for at retail.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 30, 2020

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Sydin posted:

Yeah exactly. We aren’t a sovereign currency issuer so we can’t deficit spending the way that the federal government can. Not to mention that other options for raising welfare state funds that places like Norway use, such as nationalizing national resources are off the table and that’s before even getting into how institutions like the Supreme Court and Senate would probably directly cripple any efforts to build a Nordic or even Canadian welfare state. Or our far more constrained ability to tax, etc.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
California's fascination with banning anything tobacco related quickly that somehow is always the products that poor people or people of color use is interesting. That and all the "can't smoke x distance from such" laws, or even entire cities like Nevada City, which leads to the laws being ignored.

Unless you are a minority, if you ignore those laws as a minority, you will get all the punishments on the law and whatever other things they added.

As idiotic as NYC making cigarettes expensive as hell and a rich people only thing but I guess the person blasting me with smoke in Manhattan will be some rich trader rear end in a top hat instead of someone poor?

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Still Dismal posted:

E:speaking of, anyone heard about these guys? Third parties are jokes under the current electoral systen, yeah, but a leftish seperatist Party is at least more interesting than than the greens and libertarians. They’re pretty clearly trying to copy elements of the UK SNP. They obviously have a waaayyy more hostile environment to third parties than the UK, but it’s a more coherent theory of politics than you see in most third parties.

Yes, they had a booth at the LA Women’s March a couple of years ago. Coincidently I finally got around to looking them up last week. Their online convention is available on YouTube if you want to get an idea of who’s involved. As far as I know they have one endorsed candidate for 2020 in a community college board up north. I feel like it’s an extremely small group considering that ordering two items off their shop and adding myself to their email list got me a personal reach out from someone.

Maria Juana
May 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Kenning posted:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

the real way to be a good person and a real american is to be a puritan

only u though not me :abuela:

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Just loving lol that Becerra is against state review of police shootings.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I remember when I was in Colorado the 1 thing Hickenlooper did that people seemed happy about was referring a fake cop-assault (cops said the guy tried to punch him, footage showed he was talking on a cell phone) to the FBI with a ‘well if it happened the way you said then you shouldn’t worry about it’. WTF Becerra people want this.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

"Vote."

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

So do the evictions start tomorrow or did they put the kibosh on that?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

The North Tower posted:

They're trying to pass something, it's pretty lovely, but it's something

https://mobile.twitter.com/mlevinreports/status/1300653208319086592

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The North Tower posted:

the kibosh is fakakta

https://twitter.com/ananyaUCLA/status/1299864654265479170

https://twitter.com/ananyaUCLA/status/1299864655947472898

https://twitter.com/sashaperigo/status/1300575569092816896

but it would have to pass both chambers by 2/3rds by midnight tonight.

note that Newsom could have extended the eviction ban by executive order at any time.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Doc Hawkins posted:

note that Newsom could have extended the eviction ban by executive order at any time.

im starting to wonder if the right and left find agreement in recalling Newsome even if for wildly different reasons.

it seemed like a ludicrous, right wing nonsense thing but if Newsome fucks around the left is gonna be an angry lil beehive

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Oh good I thought we might have done something nice for people. I’m moving out of state at the end of the month to go to my in-laws’ house near Seattle since they also work from home and have their San Jose house (long distance marriage due to job stuff). Going to switch to San Jose location for voting since we’re leaving our apartment. Anyone good in that area I should vote for this November? (Sorry if off-topic)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
This loving sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Centrist Committee posted:

This loving sucks