Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

Oh, I honestly thought she was like thirteen, I must’ve not paid attention when they dropped her age, nevermind then.

Also, is there a more ripped Gundam protagonist than Mikazuki, because I haven’t seen a ton of Gundam but that seems like a safe bet given there’s only one person in IBO more swole than him.

Domon, definitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

amigolupus posted:

Domon, definitely.

Nah Domon is still pretty slender compared to Mika, at least in terms of sheer definition

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Last Celebration posted:

Oh, I honestly thought she was like thirteen, I must’ve not paid attention when they dropped her age, nevermind then.

Also, is there a more ripped Gundam protagonist than Mikazuki, because I haven’t seen a ton of Gundam but that seems like a safe bet given there’s only one person in IBO more swole than him.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I know it’s not pronounced that way but I keep reading it as Nice Gundam. I really wish more of Thunderbolt would get translated (or animated).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Warmachine posted:

I agree. This episode is clearly a falling action even though it was escalated by Alus last episode. As Cuadorn and Masaki point out, the whole thing was a setup to get Alus out of the Eldoran mainframe and into a place he could be trapped. Once he was in the trap, there wasn't really a way to "lose" in a sense.

I actually feel like this was the climax personally, just because it feels like there was more action this episode than last, the action that was there was definitely more satisfying and more conclusive and it felt like there was more genuine threat from Alus this episode than last, even if only for a minute or so where Alus stole Hiroto's planet system, is cracking apart the servers, the devs seem a little panicked and there's the implication that he's actually capable of doing something that'll affect everyone; even if only in the game and not in real life. Alus last week was able to threaten the entire planet of Eldora, but it never felt like he could actually succeed, where the stakes this episode were much smaller but felt like they were actually plausible.

I also feel like my complaints this week are basically the opposite of my complaints last week though, in that I loved the action this episode but felt like the show dropped the ball on a bit on the narrative and thematic elements. Specifically, the fact the cast actually killed Alus, rather than talking him down or allowing him the chance to grow or change. Which I realize was their plan all along, since they wanted to reset him, Freddie thanked him for everything he'd done in a way that implied "and goodbye" etc, but after last week's discussion regarding the episode, I really did come to like the idea of Alus being given the chance to grow and change as himself; rather than being reincarnated as someone with his spirit, but not his personality, goals etc.

That said, I loved the episode's action and about the only complaint I really have about it coming out of it is that Hiroto only got to use one limited armour change against Alus, and it'd have been more fun if they destroyed each other's armour once or twice, each grabbing more parts from a swirling storm of armours, with Alus stealing some of the parts to continue equipping himself before it was done. On the whole though, the action this episode was way more fun and felt like it was doing more than just running down a checklist of "X protagonist has to beat a comparable enemy", even if those moments were in there too. Once Ken-san came crashing in to save Hiroto, I sat back, turned up my headphones to full and had a goofy grin on my face for basically the entire rest of the episode. Small niggles aside, I loved it, and it's definitely elevated my opinion of the last leg of Re:Rise and I suppose the show in general a bit over what I thought it'd be last week.

amigolupus posted:

While I kind of half-suspected it because of the OP, it was still shocking to find out that Eve had been reborn as May. What makes the reveal not terrible is that it's framed in the same scene as the newborn baby and May going that the child isn't Alus, but someone who inherited GBN's feelings and Alus' own wish, which also applies to her. Hell, I loving love that Hiroto puts two and two together and never even treats May differently or has a look of longing. He just smiles and accepts that Eve is dead, and May's her own separate person.

I was actually kind of annoyed by this, not so much by the idea of El-Divers being reincarnations of Eldorans, as by it being so definitive that they're born with some remnant of the older Eldorans (or maybe El-Divers in Eve/May's case) who they are a reincarnation of the spirit of attached to them when they are born. The fact they come in to being as a digital baby is kind of weird too, but I just took as thematic and probably not literal for most of them. I think I didn't like it mostly because I thought Hiroto making peace with Eve being gone last episode and just accepting that, and moving on was well done as is without tacking on him having some confirmation that "yes, she's not only dead but has reincarnated as someone you're now friends with". I'm happy that at least Hiroto never acknowledged it to her and it was just something he noticed, and May presumably has no idea that she's an incarnation of someone called Eve who had a relationship with Hiroto, because Hiroto has never spoken to any of the Divers about Eve in any detail so far as I can tell.

3 posted:

I'm also glad they saved the most important plot revelation for last:

I'm not in to Gunpla, but if they made an action figure of that I'd buy it in a heart beat. I might even get a Gunpla of it, if one was made; though I'd assume that a One Eye is too simplistic a design for Gunpla.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

tsob posted:

I'm not in to Gunpla, but if they made an action figure of that I'd buy it in a heart beat. I might even get a Gunpla of it, if one was made; though I'd assume that a One Eye is too simplistic a design for Gunpla.

They sell Haro Gunpla, so no, not too simple at all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

lmao

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Gross, don't kiss your dead girlfriend's daughter.

I'm kinda irritated by this take, because I don't think May sees herself as the "daughter" of Eve any more than the baby is Alus's son. She even calls Sarah her sister during the battle, which transitively makes her Eve's sister. I'll leave the comedy in that as an exercise to the reader. There is something I need to grab from tsob's post though for this claim:

tsob posted:

I was actually kind of annoyed by this, not so much by the idea of El-Divers being reincarnations of Eldorans, as by it being so definitive that they're born with some remnant of the older Eldorans (or maybe El-Divers in Eve/May's case) who they are a reincarnation of the spirit of attached to them when they are born. The fact they come in to being as a digital baby is kind of weird too, but I just took as thematic and probably not literal for most of them. I think I didn't like it mostly because I thought Hiroto making peace with Eve being gone last episode and just accepting that, and moving on was well done as is without tacking on him having some confirmation that "yes, she's not only dead but has reincarnated as someone you're now friends with". I'm happy that at least Hiroto never acknowledged it to her and it was just something he noticed, and May presumably has no idea that she's an incarnation of someone called Eve who had a relationship with Hiroto, because Hiroto has never spoken to any of the Divers about Eve in any detail so far as I can tell.

I'm not sure they are precisely reincarnations of Eldorans either, let alone other El-Divers. Like above, this goes against what May is explicitly stating in that the child is not Alus, and she is not Eve, though they both share something from these others. I don't think the experience of "birth" El-Divers have neatly maps onto human genealogy trees.

It might be more accurate to say the the Eldoran Exodus is the father, and GBN is the mother, if you think about it hard enough.

Also, I read "If It Weren't For You" and "A Wish Entrusted" as Hiroto explicitly telling May, Kazami, Par, and Freddie all about Eve in detail. :confused: Certainly the important bits like her name and that she was special to him and he euthed her because I'm certain I remember Par saying something about Eve after the fact.

Also I never really connected EL-Diver and EL-Dora until just now.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I just read "This child is not Alus" as "this child won't have his personality, memories, goals etc" and not "this child is not just not Alus, but has so much other information in their genesis, as well as not having any of the other things like memories, motivations etc. that made Alus that there is no point directly comparing the two". If the relationship wasn't that direct then I really don't see the point in them having a distinct symbol of the other person on them at birth. As to whether Hiroto has discussed Eve in detail with the other divers, I could absolutely be wrong or forgetting some thing, but that was the impression I was left with and the way May acted when Eve's earring was exposed implied she had no idea it had any significance to Hiroto either, even though she knows he was mourning an El-Diver.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 28, 2020

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Melanie is a man's name, and I'm a man!
                                                    /

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Got cocky coming off of the Thunderbolt movies and decided to watch Gundam Narrative. What on earth was that

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love Unicorn warts and all and I havent been able to bring myself to watch narrative for all the bad talk its got here.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Is there anything to watch? I thought Narrative was like three 5 minute episodes or something.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Is there anything to watch? I thought Narrative was like three 5 minute episodes or something.
You're probably thinking of Twilight Axis, where the total running time of the whole series is like maybe 30 minutes at best. Narrative is a proper feature film.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Can't believe they made a bad Gundam film.........

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Zodack posted:

Got cocky coming off of the Thunderbolt movies and decided to watch Gundam Narrative. What on earth was that

A poorly edited filler movie predicated on numerous strange and bad decisions.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm just glad we have the narrative poster

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Zodack posted:

that was my impression as well, and i'm a UC goober. it was hard to follow even having seen unicorn recently, and being familiar with Zeta/CCA/etc.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Narrative might be my single most hated piece of Gundam media. What a way to completely miss the point of everything in UC.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe UC will finally die.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Don’t hold your breath.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

chumbler posted:

Maybe UC will finally die.

every planned gundam project for the next five years is UC so

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if anything they seem to be doubling down on uc. original non-uc series seem to have become less and less of a focus. g-reco is technically uc, and build fighters and its derivatives are obviously different beasts, so there's only been two in the past decade

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

every planned gundam project for the next five years is UC so

We've got an IBO cell phone game that's supposed to be out this summer or soon after, and Build Divers just had the Battlogues scheduled.

Most of the stuff we have announced is UC, but non-UC stuff doesn't tend to be announced as far out in general, so the new show can get a bigger announcement. As is, we've got seven non-UC TV anime in the past decade, compared to four in the nineties and four in the 00s.

(And yes, if you discount the majority of non-UC shows as not counting for arbitrary reasons, then we haven't gotten any non-UC stuff. But that's No True Scottsman territory.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think 'the show that literally has ramba ral in it isn't entirely divorced from uc even if it isnt an uc show' is much of a logical fallacy, actually

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
There's glimpses of a fun "don't think about it too hard" action movie in Narrative if not for some of the most embarrassing pacing/screenwriting issues I've ever seen. Someone really needed to take the director and screenwriter out back and spank them with rocks every time they decided to add another flashback sequence in the middle of a high tension combat scene.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Narrative was funny for how it just busted out newtype powers after Unicorn built them up in the more standard fashion.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Argas posted:

Narrative was funny for how it just busted out newtype powers after Unicorn built them up in the more standard fashion.

The way it built on the dumb Unicorn psychic wave ending by just going "yeah, Newtypes can hack reality and now every faction wants one as a weapon" instead of treating said ending as a one-off miracle was just about the only interesting part of NT.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

The way it built on the dumb Unicorn psychic wave ending by just going "yeah, Newtypes can hack reality and now every faction wants one as a weapon" instead of treating said ending as a one-off miracle was just about the only interesting part of NT.

Yeah. It's a textbook example of cool premise, poo poo execution. Personally I also wanted to see more of what Zeon was up to besides apparently funding Sleeves remnants I guess? Or at least have them acknowledge that Martha was right and no one would actually care about some goofy phrase carved on a monument that could be fake for all anyone knows.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Warmachine posted:

Yeah. It's a textbook example of cool premise, poo poo execution. Personally I also wanted to see more of what Zeon was up to besides apparently funding Sleeves remnants I guess? Or at least have them acknowledge that Martha was right and no one would actually care about some goofy phrase carved on a monument that could be fake for all anyone knows.

Did Martha even show up in the film again after the Luio & Co Dijeh's grab her?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

im sorry yall we're getting more uc bc they're making a crossbone dust adaptation, just for me

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I was fine with how out of control newtypes got Unicorn because they could go with the Unicorn/Banshee being these multi-billion dollar sinks that they just couldn't replicate later on (like maybe Audrey just took both units and her, Zinnerman, and Banagher just hosed off into space and the EFSF felt it would probably be more prudent to enhance mobile suits at a base level instead of with a bunch of experimental tech, leading to the Minovsky Flight system for Xi/Penelope, I dunno, just brainstorming). Plus, you could say that LaPlace's box was just a gigantic waste of time and no one loving cares, just go home Sleeves. And everything the Unicorn did in the last 5 minutes could be treated as a will of humanity + newtype + absolute miracle once in a lifetime situation that they probably couldn't replicate.

But then Narrative comes up, with Phenex firing Psycho Frame Ki Blasts and using Newtype Kaio-Ken and poo poo, and stuff like the author legit trying to say "oh the Unicorn actually time traveled the reactors of the suits it disabled to a point where they weren't assembled" "uh... so... the Unicorn just.. dismantled them?" "no it was time travel." God I wish I could find that interview excerpt. But after Narrative, I would be fine with never seeing anything Psycho Frame related turning up in UC ever again, regardless if it makes sense or not.

I saw Narrative early last year with a friend and we were both like "if we have to hear about this ghost girl wanting to become a bird one more time..." We've never seen pacing that bad in quite a while.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

And everything the Unicorn did in the last 5 minutes could be treated as a will of humanity + newtype + absolute miracle once in a lifetime situation that they probably couldn't replicate.

But after Narrative, I would be fine with never seeing anything Psycho Frame related turning up in UC ever again, regardless if it makes sense or not.

The Axis Shock was just a few years before Unicorn so that’s two very publicly visible “once in a lifetime miracles” in what, three years? After Narrative everyone in the UC is justified in thinking psycoframe suits are weapons of virtually unlimited power when a Newtype is in the pilot’s seat. For the sake of telling interesting stories I agree with you and hope this is it for psycoframes for a while.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Narratives problem wasn't the new type bs it's that the protagonist was boring and had almost no agency and the villain was a horrible irredeemable nutcase.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Just finished Iron-Blooded Orphans, and I absolutely loved it. My first full Gundam series. It does have some issues, but I think character development, motivation, and the story are handled really well, especially the ending.

Last Celebration posted:

i mean, to be fair, that doesn't mean he's romantically interested in her, just that he cares about her, which is basically what he said.

Yeah, this. McGillis is a fairly complex character. The show recounts some of the terrible abuse he has experienced and touches on how it eventually made him obsessed with power. I'm not sure how their relationship could be read as romantic--McG actually reads as asexual, and she is the only person he openly cares about because, well, he's allowed to (by the situation and he probably he identifies with her situation, oddly enough)..

One of the major themes of the series is how "normal" people have a tough time understanding the mindset of "human debris" and orphans: how they struggle to form bonds/attachments with others (and how utterly awkward/difficult it is for any of the main cast to express or understand feelings other than anger/rage and [sometimes forced] happiness), how they desperately seek approval from a strong adult figure, and how the value of their lives is based on how much they can contribute/work (so, feelings of worthlessness/disillusionment when they cannot help due to injury or not being strong enough). Their purpose in life is dictated by those who control them.

To me, the controversial relationships are meant to be controversial--they are designed to make you feel uncomfortable, and there is a ton of gray. I have not read much discourse about IBO, but I imagine it is similar to the discourse surrounding stuff like Breaking Bad: viewing the protagonists as inherently good and always right, and pull for them to win at any cost. This ignores the context of the story, what the other characters in-universe communicate to the viewer, and etc.

Any other Gundam series that are similar in tone and structure?

Prowler fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 29, 2020

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Monaghan posted:

Narratives problem wasn't the new type bs it's that the protagonist was boring and had almost no agency and the villain was a horrible irredeemable nutcase.

My favorite bit of NT's thoroughly stupid plotting and editing decisions is that the main character is actually really interesting on paper in that he's basically anti-Banagher, a dude left as a broken no-hoper from dealing with Newtypes and Newtypery and Newtype shenanigans who ended with absolutely no belief in the dream of Newtypes or their potential to change the world. That's an interesting protagonist pitch for a follow-up to Unicorn, and the movie completely buries all that and only bothers to reveal it in a rush during a sequence of flashbacks more than halfway through the final battle.

Similarly the villain also had kind of an interesting idea to him by essentially be wannabe Full Frontal, a failed copy of a copy of a persona put on by a broken dude who ended up just as trash as that sounds, and he knows it. He doesn't even fly an original mech, that's how much of a copy he is! And instead of doing anything with that the movie just has him wheel from scene to scene with little coherence until it's time for him to try and blow up the Earth.

Narrative is put together back to front, and it's breathtaking in its idiocy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Prowler posted:

Just finished Iron-Blooded Orphans, and I absolutely loved it. My first full Gundam series. It does have some issues, but I think character development, motivation, and the story are handled really well, especially the ending.

Yeah, this. McGillis is a fairly complex character. The show recounts some of the terrible abuse he has experienced and touches on how it eventually made him obsessed with power. I'm not sure how their relationship could be read as romantic--McG actually reads as asexual, and she is the only person he openly cares about because .

One of the major themes of the series is how "normal" people have a tough time understanding the mindset of "human debris" and orphans: how they struggle to form bonds/attachments with others (and how utterly awkward/difficult it is for any of the main cast to express or understand feelings other than anger/rage and [sometimes forced] happiness), how they desperately seek approval from a strong adult figure, and how the value of their lives is based on how much they can contribute/work (so, feelings of worthlessness/disillusionment when they cannot help due to injury or not being strong enough). Their purpose in life is dictated by those who control them.

To me, the controversial relationships are meant to be controversial--they are designed to make you feel uncomfortable, and there is a ton of gray. I have not read much discourse about IBO, but I imagine it is similar to the discourse surrounding stuff like Breaking Bad: viewing the protagonists as inherently good and always right, and pull for them to win at any cost. This ignores the context of the story, what the other characters in-universe communicate to the viewer, and etc.

Any other Gundam series that are similar in tone and structure?

00 season 1 may scratch a similar itch since its main cast is a bunch of broken people trying to justify their actions that are frequently morally questionable, but be prepared for disappointment when season 2 backs way off to a more conventional story that is told sloppily.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Monaghan posted:

Michelle was really interesting and had a ton of agency, she sets the whole plot in motion. And the real villain, was guilt.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Michelle was really interesting and had a ton of agency, she sets the whole plot in motion. And the real villain, was guilt.

Michelle was one of the few good points of the movie, I won't argue with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

My favorite bit of NT's thoroughly stupid plotting and editing decisions is that the main character is actually really interesting on paper in that he's basically anti-Banagher, a dude left as a broken no-hoper from dealing with Newtypes and Newtypery and Newtype shenanigans who ended with absolutely no belief in the dream of Newtypes or their potential to change the world. That's an interesting protagonist pitch for a follow-up to Unicorn, and the movie completely buries all that and only bothers to reveal it in a rush during a sequence of flashbacks more than halfway through the final battle.

Similarly the villain also had kind of an interesting idea to him by essentially be wannabe Full Frontal, a failed copy of a copy of a persona put on by a broken dude who ended up just as trash as that sounds, and he knows it. He doesn't even fly an original mech, that's how much of a copy he is! And instead of doing anything with that the movie just has him wheel from scene to scene with little coherence until it's time for him to try and blow up the Earth.

Narrative is put together back to front, and it's breathtaking in its idiocy.

Yeah, all of the elements that went into NT sound interesting and good on paper when taken individually. The film just utterly fails to assemble them into anything that makes its premise work.

I wish it had been a show or OVA series instead, because it really feels like those elements could have been developed into something solid if they'd just been given a lot more screen time.