Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMfClgUrVTI
I guess it’s a remake after all? I don’t really care for the 2.5D style but I’ll grab it if the framerate is good on Switch since I have every other Wonder Boy/Monster World game on there.

Already disappointed when I found out it wasnt a sequel and that art style is really not helping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I guess it’s a remake after all? I don’t really care for the 2.5D style but I’ll grab it if the framerate is good on Switch since I have every other Wonder Boy/Monster World game on there.

the main character model is kind of nice, but i don't love the looks of the environments. i'd be okay with this style if it was a new sequel, but as a remake i think i'd rather just play the original even though that's shackled to my 360

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

All Paper Mario games are non-RPG. They have RPG elements but they are closer to action adventures than anything else.

you know you are allowed to like the non-RPG Paper Mario games without bending into a pretzel trying to say that the game called “Paper Mario RPG” in japan actually wasn’t an RPG

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

So is Carrion worth grabbing full price ?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Moon RPG Remix is good. It has a rough start but it really starts to grow on you.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I find it crazy to release a 2.5D game when you have Monster Boy and Shantae to compete with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fit em all up in there posted:

Not really, no. It's extremely short and basic.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Ehhh. I'd probably wait for a sale. I'm 8 hours in and I have to backtrack everywhere to find the final upgrades I'm missing. It's a novel game, but I've got some buyers remorse about it.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'm super late and not saying anything anyone doesn't already know but I finally got back to Mario Odyssey and drat it's a good Mario game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zurtilik posted:

I'm super late and not saying anything anyone doesn't already know but I finally got back to Mario Odyssey and drat it's a good Mario game.

:hai:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I kinda love how Wonder boy/Monster world continues to be a complete mess of multiple developers and conflicting trademarks even in the modern era.

I really enjoyed Monster Boy and I think this new remake is technicaly the prequel to that one? The 3D art reminds me of that weird 3DS cavestory port though. Holding out hope for a retro graphics mode. Its a real shame because the other Wonderboy remake I played on the eshop had really nice hand drawn art in the vein of Monsterboy.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bleck posted:

I'd still like an N64flix if only so I can play the good version of Majora's Mask
There's always Project Restoration if you have a hacked 3DS. It's a romhack for MM3D focused both on undoing some of the less-popular changes that MM3D made, and also adding in some neat QoL features (transformation masks are permanently mapped to the D-Pad, you can switch between old-style and 3D-style Zora swimming, some streamlining - like songs you have to play multiple times only actually play the animation once per session, etc). I never played the original N64 MM, but the hack seems like a good idea for the QoL alone. It might even make 3D the definitive version of MM it was intended to be, because then you can also use the MM3D-exclusive features like the analog nub and gyro aiming.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wait MM3ds was bad? What game did I play?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It was fine, and if you've never played either version then you should definitely play 3D first, but the two are very different experiences and a lot of people who played 64 first prefer it (myself included).

E: To expand on that, for every great change 3D makes (letting you save anytime at owl statues, Song of Double Time letting you pick the hour, etc), it makes two more that are sidegrades at best and unfortunate at worst. Some of these are small changes (Deku spin giving you a speed boost at he end of the spin rather than at the start), some are bigger (Zora swimming being tied to magic), and some are completely unavoidable (the bosses being completely redone). More power to you if you like the changes, but it is absolutely a different game than the original.

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 30, 2020

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Len posted:

Wait MM3ds was bad? What game did I play?

It wasn’t bad but it did make some dumb changes, like tying the really cool and fun Zora swimming to your magic meter

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Not at all.
I played it on PC with the Game Pass so it cost me nothing and I'd be gutted if I paid more than 10bucks for it.

Edit: Unrelated question, if I really enjoyed Steamworld Heist and the two Dig games, will I enjoy Quest? It looks entirely different so it might be a dumb question but is it good?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Artix posted:

It was fine, and if you've never played either version then you should definitely play 3D first, but the two are very different experiences and a lot of people who played 64 first prefer it (myself included).

I mean I liked the n64 one enough to have my 5th grade english business letter sent to Nintendo about how much I liked it and how it was the greatest game of all time and I still thought 3DS was a great game and better than n64 because I didn't have to use a n64 claw.

They sent back a canned reply letter and a signed print of OoT art, I wish I knew where that ended up, it's somewhere in a box at my dad's with everything else I've ever owned.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What’s the N64 claw?

E: oh I get it never mind

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Len posted:

I mean I liked the n64 one enough to have my 5th grade english business letter sent to Nintendo about how much I liked it and how it was the greatest game of all time and I still thought 3DS was a great game and better than n64 because I didn't have to use a n64 claw.

They sent back a canned reply letter and a signed print of OoT art, I wish I knew where that ended up, it's somewhere in a box at my dad's with everything else I've ever owned.

I'm fairly certain I did the same thing for an elementary school assignment, but I think mine was about how great Pokemon was.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel
Has anyone gotten the Captain Tsubasa game? I'm reading there are some performance issues but is the game fun at all?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Spiteski posted:

Not at all.
I played it on PC with the Game Pass so it cost me nothing and I'd be gutted if I paid more than 10bucks for it.

Edit: Unrelated question, if I really enjoyed Steamworld Heist and the two Dig games, will I enjoy Quest? It looks entirely different so it might be a dumb question but is it good?

Yes, its good. I dont usually care for card building games but it was very fun. I believe I played on hardest diffuculty. iirc when it was released there were some complaints about getting screwed on some bosses because without prior knowledge you wouldn't know how to build a deck against them and they'd be immune to your damage or something. But I really don't remember.

The point I'm trying to make is, it's a good game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mirror123 posted:

Has anyone gotten the Captain Tsubasa game? I'm reading there are some performance issues but is the game fun at all?

It's a relatively fun game but it isn't really a soccer game. It's more of an RPG-themed shonen sports anime simulator. The easiest thing to compare it to is probably Blitzball from FFX, which was itself inspired by older Captain Tsubasa games. It's more fleshed out than that but it's very much a game where the goal is to get your stats high enough that your flaming dragon kick can hit the enemy goalkeeper so hard they fly into the net.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm fairly certain I did the same thing for an elementary school assignment, but I think mine was about how great Pokemon was.

It's so weird that they used to teach business letters and now you get 140 characters to put brands on blast in front of the whole world

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Spiteski posted:

Not at all.

It's entirely different but it's also good

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

mirror123 posted:

it has a neat and totally incomprehensible friendship system where you learn super fire kick moves from your argentine and german rivals by getting their trading card and doing social links, literally what else could you want

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SeANMcBAY posted:

Same. I would like both though at the same time. Waiting a year for a new platform is dumb.

Honestly, I don't understand any of their decisions with the Switch VC. It would be way better incentive to have a Nintendo Network account if it basically was NintendoNeflix. Always stocked with all the first party releases from at least N64 gen downward. Then they could rotate old 3rd party games that they get temporary rights for to keep it fresh.

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I bought Splatoon 2, started the game for the first time, and after making my character I cant move - the tutorial is telling me to aim at a balloon, and is telling me to move my switch up slowly..which does nothing, only the right stick moves the camera around my character. The gently caress am I doing wrong here?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Spacebump posted:

Honestly, I don't understand any of their decisions with the Switch VC. It would be way better incentive to have a Nintendo Network account if it basically was NintendoNeflix. Always stocked with all the first party releases from at least N64 gen downward. Then they could rotate old 3rd party games that they get temporary rights for to keep it fresh.
At least in the case of new platforms, Nintendo has to write new emulators for each one (or at least they're hopefully not just stealing/co-opting an open source emulator with no credit). Netflix just has to write a streaming video player in terms of software, and the rest is all acquiring and keeping licenses.

Like, yeah, there's no real excuse for them to not just throw all their first-party stuff up on there for each new platform (or at least make more frequent releases than they do now), but saying they should have had everything from the N64 backwards up in one go is pushing it a little. N64 emulation is apparently especially problematic according to what I've heard.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Pijeus posted:

I bought Splatoon 2, started the game for the first time, and after making my character I cant move - the tutorial is telling me to aim at a balloon, and is telling me to move my switch up slowly..which does nothing, only the right stick moves the camera around my character. The gently caress am I doing wrong here?

The gyro controls might be a bit tricky to get the hang of in handheld mode, I would recommend playing on a television, if you can. If not, by telling you to "move the switch up" what the game wants is tilting. I find that the gyro controls in handheld don't work well if you're lying down or sitting in an odd position.

e: And you can press Y to reset the camera.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 30, 2020

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Zurtilik posted:

I don't entirely disagree. But there are still a ton of games not in those line ups that I feel Nintendo could be offering that they don't. Idk. Maybe I'm a didiot.

Like why isn't Earthbound on there? Isn't that entirely Nintendo's baby? Where's Mario learns Number and Letters?!

Earthbound quite likely isn't there because it's on the SNESMini.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Silegna posted:

There's a few games on the SNES Online service that were on the SNES Classic. They stopped making SNES Classic after the Switch Online came out so they're not even competition against each other.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Commander Keene posted:

At least in the case of new platforms, Nintendo has to write new emulators for each one (or at least they're hopefully not just stealing/co-opting an open source emulator with no credit). Netflix just has to write a streaming video player in terms of software, and the rest is all acquiring and keeping licenses.

Like, yeah, there's no real excuse for them to not just throw all their first-party stuff up on there for each new platform (or at least make more frequent releases than they do now), but saying they should have had everything from the N64 backwards up in one go is pushing it a little. N64 emulation is apparently especially problematic according to what I've heard.

Nintendo already has emulators for every one of their systems up to and including the wii. I myself have already paid money to Nintendo to purchase several emulated n64 games.

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Wonderful 100, Capitalism fails again!

Team, engaging Unlimited Funds!

Silegna posted:

This isn't a good argument simply because Star Fox 2 is available on both Snesline and the mini. It's the game (next to Earthbound, admittedly) they advertised as the reason to own one. It's frankly more possible that they just forgot. Or saving it for a software release gap

Gonna say that MM3D is a case study in that you can have a thing as too much Quality of Life. Like, the changes to the original American N64 ver were enough imo. (Partial saves) Being able to have consequence-free saving combined with on the hour timeskip gives you an incredible amount of freedom in a game that asks you to manage your time efficiently. Too much freedom, again, in my opinion.
That, admittedly, only matters if you care about 'games as art' and or that 'art' can be or has to be more than entertainment. Objectively speaking, those changes potentially result in a more fun game. Subjectively, being able to save-scum the couples quest down to a matter of minutes because you can move time precisely to hit every objective marker and suffer no consequences because you can reset at anytime if you screw up just feels wrong to me.

(This admittedly wouldn't be as much of an issue if the least crashy ver of MM was available anywhere but the Wii U or the defunct Wii shop. Or if it was available as a toggle on 3DS without mods)

RandomFerret posted:

Nintendo already has emulators for every one of their systems up to and including the wii. I myself have already paid money to Nintendo to purchase several emulated n64 games.

It's funny to think that people expect some cycles accurate emulation for the N64mini/online when they're just gonna do what they did with the Wii which was a fairly hacky high level emulation iirc. It'll prob just straight be the Wii emu again when it comes, maybe with a toggle to render at 1080p

UnintelGen fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 30, 2020

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm really enjoying Children of Morta, not enough games let you be the whole legendary family, usually the chicken out and make you play as an orphan. The Bergson house is gorgeous and I like the little bits of world building and family life inbewteen runs, but I have a few complaints about the font size

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
children of morta was very nice but the narrator really needed to turn the Drama dial down a point or three

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

UnintelGen posted:

This isn't a good argument simply because Star Fox 2 is available on both Snesline and the mini. It's the game (next to Earthbound, admittedly) they advertised as the reason to own one. It's frankly more possible that they just forgot. Or saving it for a software release gap

Gonna say that MM3D is a case study in that you can have a thing as too much Quality of Life. Like, the changes to the original American N64 ver were enough imo. (Partial saves) Being able to have consequence-free saving combined with on the hour timeskip gives you an incredible amount of freedom in a game that asks you to manage your time efficiently. Too much freedom, again, in my opinion.
That, admittedly, only matters if you care about 'games as art' and or that 'art' can be or has to be more than entertainment. Objectively speaking, those changes potentially result in a more fun game. Subjectively, being able to save-scum the couples quest down to a matter of minutes because you can move time precisely to hit every objective marker and suffer no consequences because you can reset at anytime if you screw up just feels wrong to me.

(This admittedly wouldn't be as much of an issue if the least crashy ver of MM was available anywhere but the Wii U or the defunct Wii shop. Or if it was available as a toggle on 3DS without mods)

It's funny to think that people expect some cycles accurate emulation for the N64mini/online when they're just gonna do what they did with the Wii which was a fairly hacky high level emulation iirc. It'll prob just straight be the Wii emu again when it comes, maybe with a toggle to render at 1080p

Do you think it's better to what Sony did with the vita (every single PSP game is available on launch in their shop) or what Nintendo does with saving stuff for release gaps.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Tempura Wizard posted:

LMAO the delusion springs eternal. Paper Mario Cycle is the new Sonic Cycle. Folks need to let it go, TYD was 16 years ago.

This is still a stupid thing to force since it hinges on numbers and random encounters having nothing to do with RPGs just so you can insult people.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

Oh hi. I'm the guy that posted lots of annoying questions about having two Switches and sharing Animal Crossing.

Well I got the new Switch and it's not working. Just wanted to see if I've made a critical error!

1) Deregistered old Switch from my account.

2) Set new Switch as primary. It has nothing on it (except the old SD card which I hoped would keep all the games but NOPE)

3) When I try to play Animal Crossing on the old Switch on my partner's account it checks online then says "this user cannot play this software". She doesn't have a Nintendo account linked. My account obviously can play it.

Is there anything I can do that let's her play Animal Crossing without setting the old Switch as primary? Worst case scenario she'll have to buy the cart.

Anyone on the primary Switch can play that person's downloaded games. On any other switch the account is linked to only the account that downloaded it can play (while connected to WiFi) You would have to make your old switch primary or have her play on your profile while connected to the internet.

Shadski
Jun 1, 2011
Dead cells or gungeon seeing as they're on sale?
I played gungeon on pc years ago and enjoyed it for a while but I believe the updates have improved it?
I tried dead cells but bounced off it.
Just wondering what would be best handheld?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you enjoyed Gungeon before then definitely that. It's had two huge content updates and if you're good enough to unlock everything you'll have mountains of stuff to enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer

The Silver Snail posted:

The gyro controls might be a bit tricky to get the hang of in handheld mode, I would recommend playing on a television, if you can. If not, by telling you to "move the switch up" what the game wants is tilting. I find that the gyro controls in handheld don't work well if you're lying down or sitting in an odd position.

e: And you can press Y to reset the camera.

Forgot about the joycons! That was the problem. I've been using the splitpad pro for so long now I just didn't think. Turning the motion control off as soon as I can...it's quite intuitive but the joycons can get out. I only want to play singleplayer anyway, might do motion later if I try multi.