Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

you really can't make this stuff up

company: we will have npcs that are so sophisticated it will be impossible to distinguish between them and players

the same company: well we have been struggling to redo the elevator panel textures for months now. we were kinda close this time but it was literally impossible for one internal group to finish by the deadline. Hopefully we'll be able to do this in the near-ish future.

Are you saying you wouldn't trust this gaming visionary??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

No

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

https://i.imgur.com/P3MXtL5.mp4

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

It's amazing, and somehow sad, he really does think he's making a game. It's like those toy steering wheels you give your kid in the back seat to keep him busy.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Dogeh posted:

Can we get Beet back as a mod, please?
Thread title hasn't changed in months.

Beet for thread IK!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Dogeh posted:

You stare at the trash fire and wonder why the fire is still unfinished.

The fire repeats itself in unsmooth 3 second loops with a single frame of a copy of Elite Dangerous being thrown upon it, I am intently watching, waiting, wanting

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Kosumo posted:

Star Citizen: Elevators are an important part of this game.

Dogeh posted:

Can we get Beet back as a mod, please?
Thread title hasn't changed in months.

How much do I have to pledge to get a new thread title that punches above its weight?

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 29, 2020

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

MedicineHut posted:

14:42 if the time thing doesn't work. I am not a developer, nevermind a network developer, but even I can tell by the answer of this dude that they are trully and royally hosed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKJfRwjA2RA&t=882s

"We are also looking at getting two servers talking to each other".

In other words, as I suspected years ago, they haven't done jack poo poo on server meshing. Nothing. Nada. Zero. Nil. They loving haven't STARTED on it yet. In year 8 of developping their MMO and selling their playerbase the idea of grand dynamic server meshing that's always around the corner. If that isn't a SCAM I dunno what is. It mind boggles me that none of their fans seem to care.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Nyast posted:

"We are also looking at getting two servers talking to each other".

In other words, as I suspected years ago, they haven't done jack poo poo on server meshing. Nothing. Nada. Zero. Nil. They loving haven't STARTED on it yet. In year 8 of developping their MMO and selling their playerbase the idea of grand dynamic server meshing that's always around the corner. If that isn't a SCAM I dunno what is. It mind boggles me that none of their fans seem to care.

https://twitter.com/CanguroGuro/status/1299488092773064705
https://twitter.com/Bockbiertje2/status/1299457026020569094

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

A fan's skin is ripped off clean in one horrible rip

"I appreciate all the hard work you're doing," they scream as the flesh is thrown into the money pit

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Tophat posted:

A fan's skin is ripped off clean in one horrible rip

"I appreciate all the hard work you're doing," they scream as the flesh is thrown into the money pit

A brief glimpse of the forgotten 2nd Stimpire.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

The Super-Id posted:

A brief glimpse of the forgotten 2nd Stimpire.

Eyes wide as the spaceship croons overhead and jams itself into the mouth of a fan in a violent ninety degree handbreak turn that stuns the engine into displaying less frames than seconds

"Fool proof doesn't mean that fools can't wreck it," a developer states. "It means the proof is in the fool that hands over money."

More screaming, some of joy, some of pain, some of deadlines never to be seen again

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

https://i.imgur.com/x4h6Fhi.gifv

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Here we can see God using a cutting edge joystick to control a giant water pig to teach us that it doesn't matter how many thumbs you've got, if you aint rolling around in laughter and or water, you're wasting your gosh darn time

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

Venting and

Today at 2:23 pm

I love star citizen and i hope it will bloom one day.
I often vent tho i have big hopes and this project is special to my heart.

I really feel sad about the industry atm..all reveals this summer has been garbage except Cyberpunk and Stalker..

As much as i vent over my frustration with delays and such it might be worth the wait since we aint getting much worthwhile anymore in gaming.

It is important for people to vent, it helps to endure a long wait for something we share in our hearts. Together we all make this possible, together we make a change.

CIG, do not give in to political bullshit and focus on what matters, making a believable scifi universe that which we all may take part to find our adventures be they deep into enemy territory or at the heart of Arccorp.

PS: i do have BPD "Borderline personality Disorder"
My need to vent might be bigger than most.. but I do what i can and deep within i believe that different is good, and Star Citizen is by all means something different.

Good Luck.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thoatse posted:

Squirrel update:

Welp, I'm in the squirrel raising business now too.. my neighbors found 2 more and also spotted the mom dead out on the street they think hit by a car so they're definitely orphans.
Lucky for us they're already furred because if they were much younger you need to stimulate their junk with a wet qtip to potty them!

This is Kodo and Podo, one is a lot more chill but both are super cute and they like to burrow into my shirt and snuggle up to the warm.
I took them out of their cage to clean it and reset the bedding but it's hard to get pics when there's 2 of them!

Here's Kodo, Podo had already tucked himself into the sock while they were chillin in the tub while I cleaned house

Here's Kodo making a big mess eating grapes and fig before I cleaned the cage

Here they are happily snuggling together in their sleeping bag after room service, if you look close you can see a little bit of squirrel poking out

Tools of the trade, fig, grapes, almonds, baby food and a little coffee creamer in a syringe

Eventually I'll get some good shots of them :v:

Man I wish I was neighbors with you, we'd have little shared rescue farm between our yards I'm sure

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Was this done in Cryengine?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
procedurally generated water mammals

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Yep Hippos are just big gentle water cows...

https://youtu.be/OMXnhiv3NqY

Until they start tossing around a 2000 lb crocodile like rag doll.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
They're still having CitizenCON this year right? I thought they were doing that digitally.

Also, there's a new Dune film (supposedly) coming out in December... I expect the sandiworm to make another appearance.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dooguk posted:

Was this done in Cryengine?

It’s a demo of CIG’s procedural fauna tech. It’s so advanced that it simulated hundreds of millions of years of evolution on an alien planet similar to Earth (which will be released as part of a future star system) and produced aquatic mammals nearly identical to our Hippos, but with some small but complex morphological and behavioral differences.

I could explain much more about this amazing tech, but you’d really have to be a CTO to fully comprehend it.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

colonelwest posted:

Yep Hippos are just big gentle water cows...

https://youtu.be/OMXnhiv3NqY

Until they start tossing around a 2000 lb crocodile like rag doll.

It’s funny when people think hippos are benign. They’re territorial, aggressive, and those tusks are like a boars. Think a 3000 kilo mad wild pig. They’re awesome.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

colonelwest posted:

It’s a demo of CIG’s procedural fauna tech. It’s so advanced that it simulated hundreds of millions of years of evolution on an alien planet similar to Earth (which will be released as part of a future star system) and produced aquatic mammals nearly identical to our Hippos, but with some small but complex morphological and behavioral differences.

I could explain much more about this amazing tech, but you’d really have to be a CTO to fully comprehend it.

Hadn't CIG been making the game for ages when they realised the engine had a built in by default water level?

Or did I remember this wrong?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

squirrelzipper posted:

It’s funny when people think hippos are benign. They’re territorial, aggressive, and those tusks are like a boars. Think a 3000 kilo mad wild pig. They’re awesome.

They can run really fast underwater (they can't swim) and are known to charge and flip boats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su7GkqwxG08

Apparently more people are killed every year by hippos in Africa than any other animal

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Star Citizen is finally good...

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

colonelwest posted:

He said he was pushed to make games. He doesn't understand star citizen development.

And thank you to star citizen for supporting corporate game development by being one of the worst kickstarter failures/ scams ever and actively hurting the idea of crowdfunding

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

colonelwest posted:

quote:

Yeah, but EA wanted their cash-in on ME3. Nothing was going to stop that because as the publisher, they control when the game is released whether it's ready or not. Same thing happened with Anthem. It simply needed more time and more work but EA didn't want to wait. They wanted their money right away.

It's a damned shame too. I loved ME1 and ME2. ME3 was sheer disappointment and ruined the franchise for me. ME: Andromeda...just another example of EA's greed ruining what could have been an otherwise great game.

This is why not having a publisher is a good thing. If someone complains about how long development of Star Citizen is taking, you need only point out the numerous examples of ruined games by publishers like EA. Not to mention the jobs lost as a result of publishers shutting down dev studios for not making the game good enough under a ridiculous timeframe.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Except that EA Games did not ruin Anthem, Bioware did. EA had to step in and ask Bioware what the gently caress they were doing, because they were multiple years into development with absolutely nothing to show for it, and then Bioware made the choice to finish Anthem within 9 months. And how did Bioware do this? By forcing their employees to work 100 hour weeks for all 9 months of development. EA keeps being made out to be the bad guy in all of this stuff, but then you find out well after the fact that these game studios that EA has to reign in, were poorly managed.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Except that EA Games did not ruin Anthem, Bioware did. EA had to step in and ask Bioware what the gently caress they were doing, because they were multiple years into development with absolutely nothing to show for it, and then Bioware made the choice to finish Anthem within 9 months. And how did Bioware do this? By forcing their employees to work 100 hour weeks for all 9 months of development. EA keeps being made out to be the bad guy in all of this stuff, but then you find out well after the fact that these game studios that EA has to reign in, were poorly managed.

ea is still pretty terrible. they killed bullfrog, westwood, and visceral (among others).

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

This is legit cult member talk.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

I said come in! posted:

It's similar to how EA didn't ruin ME3. The ending did. When the backlash to the ending happened, EA gave Bioware money to fix it, hence the Extended Cut or whatever. EA knew Bioware had murdered their golden goose! The blame for ME3, Andromeda, and Anthem rests entirely on Bioware's shoulders.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The publishers are terrible myth is a huge part of why this scam exists. It reached fever pitch around the time of the kickstarter and as with every other bad idea in the giant floating shitberg the citizens continue to double down on it.

EA and all publishers exist to facilitate something within the gamedev system. There's plusses and minuses. Star Citizen perfectly demonstrates it but nothing can fight dreams.txt to the moron citizens.

Last King posted:

ea is still pretty terrible. they killed bullfrog, westwood, and visceral (among others).
Visceral really, really stings. That poo poo just makes me sad, Dead Space was a series you could easily budget around having a smaller target given the visuals needed style not polygons. But a lot of studios die out anyway. I mean like, bullfrog was a molyneux studio? Holy gently caress, where was that possibly going to go good? I guess they could have gone on to release the Fable series under Microsoft?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Horizon Burning posted:

It's similar to how EA didn't ruin ME3. The ending did. When the backlash to the ending happened, EA gave Bioware money to fix it, hence the Extended Cut or whatever. EA knew Bioware had murdered their golden goose! The blame for ME3, Andromeda, and Anthem rests entirely on Bioware's shoulders.

Well, mostly on their shoulders. IIRC, the switch to the Frostbite engine was both a terrible, studio-crushing idea and a mandate straight from EA, and also a lot of the flailing Bioware did with Anthem was because EA wanted a game-as-a-service and Bioware didn't tell them "that's not something we have any idea how to do or would want to try doing, so we're not going to do it."

Arguably, both of those are Bioware's leadership failing to establish a good enough relationship with their publisher to be able to sell their own vision for what they should be doing (and maybe even failing to have a vision for what they should be doing), but it's clear that EA's earned its studio-killer reputation fair and square, so who can say? Maybe nobody could have talked their way out of that disaster, no matter how much money they brought in.

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

Trilobite posted:

Arguably, both of those are Bioware's leadership failing to establish a good enough relationship with their publisher to be able to sell their own vision for what they should be doing (and maybe even failing to have a vision for what they should be doing), but it's clear that EA's earned its studio-killer reputation fair and square, so who can say? Maybe nobody could have talked their way out of that disaster, no matter how much money they brought in.

EA earned this reputation among Gamers, which as Star Citizen prove are not brightest folks on earth.

Concert for cows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs_-emj1qR4

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Trilobite posted:

Well, mostly on their shoulders. IIRC, the switch to the Frostbite engine was both a terrible, studio-crushing idea

It can't be understated how bad frostbite is despite being very very pretty and running well it managed to torpedo the flagship game, BF5 of the studio that programmed the engine from being so hard to work with that their design mistakes, bugs and lack of content took so long to fix that it lost its player base.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

What blows me away about this whole thing is that all people wanted was an updated Freelancer, initially. Freelancer is absolutely not a complicated game. It has very basic systems. Like, the roadmap was there, how do you gently caress that up?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Meridian posted:

What blows me away about this whole thing is that all people wanted was an updated Freelancer, initially. Freelancer is absolutely not a complicated game. It has very basic systems. Like, the roadmap was there, how do you gently caress that up?
You have three problems converging together

Freelancer isn't a 300 million dollar game, neither in the earning nor the making. This is a 300 million dollar shitfire instead. With every pledge they decided they could do so much more. And they got a lot of pledges by selling dreams.txt

The initial demo was built on technology that doesn't work for this and every step forward has created great farting echoes through the project that management is unable to walk back.

Which leads to: This is a full blown DNF situation. Mismanaged trend chasing with one very big change: It's not led by capable people, so capable people under them - who are in demand in the industry - simply leave. You have an arrogant blowhard moron at the top convinced that the money being pledged implies all his ideas are cool and good, so a constant endless loop continues.

It won't end for a long time with the situation locked in like this.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Meridian posted:

The nostalgia trap, you think you can do away with the things in the old game that were handwaved and create it all for real. You end up trying be to create the idea of what the game was. With no-one there to inject reality checks you just feature creep to hell.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Gaming can be saved only by pudgy middle-aged white men. We need more of them!

Flannelette posted:

It can't be understated how bad frostbite is despite being very very pretty and running well it managed to torpedo the flagship game, BF5 of the studio that programmed the engine from being so hard to work with that their design mistakes, bugs and lack of content took so long to fix that it lost its player base.

I don't know specifics but they did acknowledge a while ago how poo poo it is to work with Frostbite even though it is powerful, so they've been investing a lot into the Frostbite team to make it less poo poo in recent years.
If we use Respawn as a bellwether, they stuck with their modified Source engine for Apex and went with UE4 for Fallen Order, which seems fairly indicative of the state of Frostbite.

It will probably be a good sign for Frostbite if we see a game from Respawn using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*in an extremely croberts voice* let's scrap everything and switch to this frostbite engine I keep hearing so much about