Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm replaying Chrono Cross because it's a good game with an all time great battle system. But I'm wondering something.

Does Razzly get eaten if you don't choose the route that lets you rescue her? The choice is between her or Glenn as party members but if you choose to not save Kid does hat mean Razzly dies?

If I'm right, that's horrible. Glenn ain't worth it. Also it's just hosed up to leave Kid dying there even if she ain't really dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The dwarves are poo poo, yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

What harvest moon/story of seasons games are generally considered the best? I've been playing the Mineral Town remake and mostly enjoying it, could go for some more, but the only other ones I've played much of are 64 and a bit of the gamecube version of Wonderful Life.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Not sure about consensus overall best, but my personal favorite is Magical Melody on Gamecube, as it has a lot of content and variety to it, as well as a lot of different achievements to shoot for. Haven't really played any of the later games, though.

Back to Nature is what Friends of Mineral Town is a remake of, so that can be skipped. Original HM has its charms but it also misses a ton of QoL features the later games have. I think GB3 and maybe GB2 are fine? GB1 is definitely skippable.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
GB1 is a rough adaptation of HM1 so yeah..GB2 and GB3 have their charms, especially 3. I had a lot of fun with rice irrigation and having a pet pig. It was also one of the first to put some thought into playing as a girl I think?

64 is cool and a weird alternate version of BTN as far as characters go (or the opposite), but the translation is uh, slipshod, even by Natsume standards (the title screen says "Natume", which while it could I think be argued to be a romanization of Natsume, it's not one they used before or since, so).

AWL/SE is..very odd, the way it skips years to have things happen in the town and it can be a real..not quite dark, but 'real' experience at times. The PS2 version is better, content wise, but it also runs like a three legged horse at times.

DS/DS Cute are kinda alright though it was also where they started feeling a little by the numbers and they're also buggy as gently caress.

Two Towns has some nice ideas but is also painfully slow.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Decided to try out Valkyria Chronicles which has sat on my Steam list for a while. Looking at some discussion on the game apparently it has kinda out of whack balance/mission evaluation requirements, specifically having to rush through missions to do well which I hate in SRPGs (I don't mind the occasional such level but not constantly). I see it has some overhaul mods, are any of them decent or should I just play the base game? I'm pretty experienced with SRPGs in general so extra difficulty in general doesn't bother me but if the changes aren't worthwhile in the first place then there's no point.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I cant speak for the mods but the only reason to rush through levels is to get more XP and you can replay beaten stages to get XP by beating it the richly cheesy stupid way. It is a deeply stupid method of grading that I don't think anyone has ever said anything nice about but its not something you need to optimize very much

The bigger issue with the game is there are two levels that are just obscene difficulty spikes both because they are hard, but also because there is an unexpected and unplannable for reinforcement surprise. The first of these is absolutely infamous because it all but requires a specific upgrade to a unit you really have no reason to ever use otherwise to have any hope of beating the first part as it uses a unique and never repeated mechanic followed by the aforementioned enemy re-enforcement get wrecked moment.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the vc overhaul mod is an absurd masochist challenge mode. it is incredibly unfun and doesn't solve any problems of the base game. my preference was to simply use cheat engine so that i'd get the best mission ranking while taking my time instead of doing scout rushes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah you dont *have* to rush at all, it just gives you slightly more exp. and even then, you can get the best grade without zerging objectives with scouts, the scout zerg is just the easiest method of getting the best grade

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah the game balances the time taken vs kills when it comes to the grade.

If you're efficient you should still do fine

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

What harvest moon/story of seasons games are generally considered the best? I've been playing the Mineral Town remake and mostly enjoying it, could go for some more, but the only other ones I've played much of are 64 and a bit of the gamecube version of Wonderful Life.

Rune Factory 4, is probably my favourite. And it just got a rerelease as well.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I think I liked Rune Factory 3 slightly more, but that's because I felt the controls handled a little better and I really like Pia. In terms of story and content, RF4 is leaps and bounds ahead.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

rune factory 3 and 4 are really fun if you don't mind them being more split into grindy games with simplistic action rpg combat, they have really fun characters and aesthetics. feel like it is worth noting that, at least as far as i've seen, rune factory 4 special is pretty barebones of a remaster so you can probably go for either version if you don't care about the few things it does add, personally i'm kinda just sticking with the original 3ds game cause it has a gay marriage hack and special's new bits of content kind of mean it will never have that lol

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Crowetron posted:

I remember reading the manual for FF7 way back in the day before playing it for the first time, and I spent the whole game waiting for a puzzle where I needed to know Cloud's blood type for some reason.

Most players miss the blood transfusion mini-game. The CPR one was weird enough.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
The only thing that sucks about RF4 is that the post game is unlocked by a completely random event, and it's one that's super low priority too so if any other event can fire that day, it will. Other than that it's all pretty awesome imo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

Rune Factory 4 and Trio of Towns would be my picks.

klapman posted:

The only thing that sucks about RF4 is that the post game is unlocked by a completely random event, and it's one that's super low priority too so if any other event can fire that day, it will. Other than that it's all pretty awesome imo

The remake fixed this by allowing you to force activate it at any point if you want.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I liked RF3 best of them all because I'm a sucker for torn between two worlds secret identity stuff.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

klapman posted:

Even in the original it was really easy to savescum and force it to trigger, thankfully.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

i hope we get to see rune factory 5 in september

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Endorph posted:

personally i really like RF4(S) (Special fixes a few bugs and makes the 3rd arc easier to activate) and DS Cute (which fixed a lot of the bugs that DS had; the downside is that the non fomt bachelors are mostly kinda Meh imo)! never played 64 or BTN (which was later used as the base for FoMT with some changes) but they seem pretty well regarded too :)

Booky fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 31, 2020

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

wow no wonder ds cute let you get gay married

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

TurnipFritter posted:

wow no wonder ds cute let you get gay married

the best bachelors in ds cute were the fomt ones that you needed a gamepak of m/fomt put into the gba slot of the ds to unlock!!

(in jp ds cute, the secret bachelorettes were the only ones u could marry... :negative:)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

The Japanese acting is only slightly better. I think they just cheaped out on hiring directors at all.

IIRC, the sole voice director for the English dub was also the English translator. One dude can only do so much.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I enjoyed Tale of Two Town's gimmick of two towns separated by a mountain and a feud that you help heal through cooking competitions.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Booky posted:

the best bachelors in ds cute were the fomt ones that you needed a gamepak of m/fomt put into the gba slot of the ds to unlock!!

(in jp ds cute, the secret bachelorettes were the only ones u could marry... :negative:)

did they at least move in with you, or was it another friends of mineral town-style "they only show up for special events" moment

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

TurnipFritter posted:

did they at least move in with you, or was it another friends of mineral town-style "they only show up for special events" moment

i think they move in with you (and it doesn't end the game; i wanna say that DS ended the game if you married a fomt bachelorette tho i might be getting mixed up), but they each only visited the Valley like once a week so it takes longer to get their heart events and LP up and stuff??

(e: according to fogu, it doesn't end your game in DS Cute https://fogu.com/hm6/forgirl_marriage.php)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Huh, so wasteland 3 appears to be Really Good, Actually! I played the first hours and came away with no complaints, it's pretty much everything i want in a CRPG. And it's on PC gamepass!!!

if anyone's even slightly interested in this type of game you need to put in the 4 bucks or whatever and try this out.

This is especially surprising to me because wasteland 2 always looked to me like a really boring super hardcore old-school rpg for real grognards only. Maybe that impression wasn't that accurate?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vermain posted:

IIRC, the sole voice director for the English dub was also the English translator. One dude can only do so much.

That sounds like some huge budget problem poo poo then, iirc voice directors are usually either veteran voice actors and/or people who run their own studios, at least for JRPG/anime dubs.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Huh, so wasteland 3 appears to be Really Good, Actually! I played the first hours and came away with no complaints, it's pretty much everything i want in a CRPG. And it's on PC gamepass!!!

if anyone's even slightly interested in this type of game you need to put in the 4 bucks or whatever and try this out.

This is especially surprising to me because wasteland 2 always looked to me like a really boring super hardcore old-school rpg for real grognards only. Maybe that impression wasn't that accurate?

Yeah I tried it because its on gamepass and im very pleasantly surprised. Theres deffo a lot of jankyness in there but if you can get past that its some drat good RPGing

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

That sounds like some huge budget problem poo poo then, iirc voice directors are usually either veteran voice actors and/or people who run their own studios, at least for JRPG/anime dubs.

I imagine that they didn't make much of an allowance for an English budget, and it's honestly understandable. For all the familiarity I have with it, it's easy to forget that SD3 was a fairly obscure game in the West, largely known only to turn-of-the-millenium kids like me that were savvy enough to both download emulators and find the fan patch necessary to understand it. It sounds like the game proved more popular to English-speaking audiences than they thought, so hopefully that'll lead to better budgets if they ever do any other Japanese-only remakes.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I just finished my Nightmare new game challenge run of Cold Steel 3. I adhered to the following rules:

A completely fresh, New Game file
Nightmare Difficulty
No Battle Orders
No Chrono Burst
No Dodge Tanks

There were a couple of very interesting fights where I really had to push the combat system, it was a lot of fun really. I'd previously done a No Quartz Hard run, not sure if I could do the above challenge and add No Quartz to it. It would probably be doable, but I would most likely hate myself by the end.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So in Moon RPG to get the Premium Membership for the Hager Institute do I just keep donating money? I'm already a full member but I can't go further into the church without being a premium member.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I saw that the last time I played and it said to donate 10000 total to get a premium membership, which is different from the 1000 membership to enter.

I'm assuming it's a late game thing or a troll, or a combination of the two.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Phantasium posted:

I saw that the last time I played and it said to donate 10000 total to get a premium membership, which is different from the 1000 membership to enter.

I'm assuming it's a late game thing or a troll, or a combination of the two.

Don't I need the premium membership to get in and deliver the King's letter to the doctor?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I have literally no idea, I didn't know that was a thing tbh

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Phantasium posted:

I have literally no idea, I didn't know that was a thing tbh

Now I'm confused where I find the guy to deliver the King's letter. :(

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

So in Moon RPG to get the Premium Membership for the Hager Institute do I just keep donating money? I'm already a full member but I can't go further into the church without being a premium member.

That might work? But if you want to know the way I got a Premium Membership, I showed the king the normal membership badge while he's on his throne in the afternoon.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Alard posted:

That might work? But if you want to know the way I got a Premium Membership, I showed the king the normal membership badge while he's on his throne in the afternoon.

OMFG that is so STUPID!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hahaha just wait until a monster dies outside grandmas house so you can't save there anymore (pretty sure that activates once you get your own) and you have to train the dog! Hope you are a fan of trial and error!

Or how to get into the mushroom forest gently caress Adder and his stupid minigames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Endorph posted:

Rune Factory 4 is pretty good but is ridiculously wordy for some reason