Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tales of Woe posted:

was his japan sinks good? i saw a zillion negative reviews of it

I watched 3 eps only. Didn't hook me, wasn't awful. I'll go back later for more but the animation quality was pretty crappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i heard it had some highs but probly the lowest lows of any science saru thing. worth noting yuasa also wasn't the sole director on it, seems to have had a weirder production than other science saru stuff

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

It's very boring, I haven't managed to finish it. Not bad, not good, it doesn't really give you much of a hook between episodes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

Wasn't the best thing Yuasa has done but it was still quite solid. I felt that its optimistic humanism made it a good companion piece to Devilman Crybaby's cynical humanism.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

ninjewtsu posted:

alternatively, some kind of really sick animation showcase that would be a blast to watch while high as balls would be a really nice rec to get too. i dunno if there's any hidden mob psychos out there that i haven't heard of but if there are, i wanna hear about them!

also Millenium Actress and seconding Paprika

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Can anyone recommend me some food mangas that are not just izakaya/home cooking blowing people's minds? Kind of like the beginning of shokugeki no souma or nobunagas chef.

It doesn't need to be super realistic high end cooking, I'm just tired of the endless cooking isekais where a guy fries some chicken or grills a hamburger and everyone is like "omg this is the best food I've ever had"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xun posted:

Can anyone recommend me some food mangas that are not just izakaya/home cooking blowing people's minds? Kind of like the beginning of shokugeki no souma or nobunagas chef.

It doesn't need to be super realistic high end cooking, I'm just tired of the endless cooking isekais where a guy fries some chicken or grills a hamburger and everyone is like "omg this is the best food I've ever had"

Maybe Futari Gohan?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

moyashimon
Heaven? Gokuraku Restaurant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Xun posted:

I enjoyed what I read of Chuka Ichiban which is about szechuan cooking although I gather it becomes kind of a shonen action manga later on?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but I have a music question. I hear it here and there in anime, but can't remember a specific example right now to link. There's this style of japanese women's choir singing, sounds kinda dissonant and folky. I'm guessing it's something derived from old field songs or maybe religious rites.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and what this style/technique is called?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You mean something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO6EgutJLqA

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'd assume it all just derives from styles of min'yo, like Kenji Kawai loves to do choral stuff like this that is based on it and he's prolific when it comes to anime soundtracks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man the first GitS movie soundtrack is so good

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

thanks for the recommendations guys! Currently checking out Heaven? and oof ouch that restaurant owner lol

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

dogsicle posted:

I'd assume it all just derives from styles of min'yo, like Kenji Kawai loves to do choral stuff like this that is based on it and he's prolific when it comes to anime soundtracks.

Yea, that's exactly it, thanks! Now that I have a word for it, should be easier to find similar stuff.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I don't know why, but lately I've been wanting to watch OVAs and movies, mostly shonen trash. I've seen the ones for Naruto, Bleach, MHA, most of the One Piece ones, FMA. Any good ones to recommend?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

All the Dragon Ball Z movies are basically trash but the exact kind of trash I crave when I'm in that mood

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
super broly is one of the best dragon ball things ever though

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i really liked theat battle of the gods movie or w/e

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A lot of the dragonball z movies have insanely good animation, like check this scene out

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/63182

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

You could check out the original One Piece OVA and have a window into a different reality version of the anime.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Saint Seiya movies are also pretty decent. You should watch the cgi movie and tell me if it's any good

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i liked in that clip wehn that guy broke up into blocks. that was tight

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

A lot of the dragonball z movies have insanely good animation, like check this scene out

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/63182

aw yeah thats the good slop. hell yeah

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dunno why your reaction to super vibrant and impressive fight scene animation is calling it slop

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 27, 2020

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

slop is good, i love slop.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Redline and Promare.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

looking for something super gorey/violent but with a lighter tone. dorohedoro is an excellent example of this

alternatively, some kind of really sick animation showcase that would be a blast to watch while high as balls would be a really nice rec to get too. i dunno if there's any hidden mob psychos out there that i haven't heard of but if there are, i wanna hear about them!

i don't have enough time to watch anime so i was just able to get started on a rec for this

paprika was absolutely 100% what i was looking for thank you goons

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

ninjewtsu posted:

paprika was absolutely 100% what i was looking for thank you goons

Pretty much everything by Satoshi Kon is amazingly pretty and fun to watch. I'll second the above rec of Millennium Actress if you liked Paprika. It's one of the best movies I've ever seen, in general.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 28, 2020

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, anything Satoshi Kon is generally a great watch. It's not all a constant animation showcase in the way that Paprika is, but it's all very well-directed and does some really cool/unique things with perspectives, transitions, etc. Plus, just great overall even ignoring all that.

Kon stuff:
Paprika - you've seen already
Perfect Blue - excellent horror film, one I personally feel is a bit underrated
Millennium Actress - great film about the history of cinema and memories blurring together over time, though I wasn't quite as keen on it as some others were
Tokyo Godfathers - top-class Christmas movie (and recently re-released on blu ray, I think?)
Paranoia Agent - psychological thriller/mystery TV series I haven't gotten around to watching yet but has a really strong reputation

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Just wanna say thanks to everyone in this thread for giving out recs, I've been trying out various shows that get mentioned in this thread.

Just got through Eizouken which was great and currently watching Kyosougiga which I'm also enjoying. I watched one episode of Sarazanmai and was like wtf, but I didn't hate it. Not sure if I'm gonna go back to that one though

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I loved Lovely Complex and want to watch another comedy show with Osaka accents. Is there any other show where they feature prominently? I've watched Sket Dance before too, by the way.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
azumanga daioh

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

excellent bird guy posted:

Just here to recommend, as probably tons of people have before me, Legend of the Galactic Heroes original series. It took several false start to get into, but once I did, it just consumed my life. I kept really detailed notes, it was just inspiring and I think sophisticated and touched on deep topics. Right after finishing the last episode, I was so moved and had such an emotional high that I immediately bought a plane ticket to go bum around Asia for a month. That anime was I think perfect. People poo poo on Yang as being too stereotypical but I love Yang, he was so cool.
If you want something of similar length and topics Three Kingdoms is also very good, albeit as a Chinese costume drama rather than an anime.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The Colonel posted:

azumanga daioh

Unfortunately, I already even own the DVDs of this one!

sinky posted:

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Oh, I've heard of this. I will try it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Oh, I've heard of this. I will try it.

The lost gainax show

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DamnGlitch posted:

The lost gainax show

And one that doesn't suffer from bad-ending syndrome.

I cried. :ohdear:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd like abenobashi's ending if it like. actually built up to it in any form

show has some really fun episodes though. the war ep has some of the best visual gags in any anime ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Terrible Opinions posted:

If you want something of similar length and topics Three Kingdoms is also very good, albeit as a Chinese costume drama rather than an anime.

Can you recommend which? That story is everywhere. I had a Chinese TV show adaptation that seemed like a amateur translation. Is that what you are referring to? I'd still like to watch it, read it, whatever.