Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Avoid Bose and Sonos.

E: Bose because Bose. Sonos because you only really want that if you're going to buy into their ecosystem and locked into their app etc.

Look at Yamaha soundbars, they're generally well-liked.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Get a B&W soundbar they look like suppositories.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a specific sound bar people have in mind then? My budget is fairly loose, and I'll spend more for something that looks decent since it's in a highly-visible area

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I got the Samsung Q90R and I hate soundbars generally speaking. There’s just no room in my living room for an actual speaker setup and it’ll never be a dedicated HT space and I’ve got to say... it’s actually pretty awesome. Gets the job done, sounds great and the only thing I wish it did was have room correction because I’ve got glass on one side.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a specific sound bar people have in mind then? My budget is fairly loose, and I'll spend more for something that looks decent since it's in a highly-visible area

Take a look at the B&W formation sound bar then. It’s at the top of your budget but it at least has a unique look (I think it’s cool looking) and it probably sounds good for what it is.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
BeoSound Stage.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

BigFactory posted:

Take a look at the B&W formation sound bar then. It’s at the top of your budget but it at least has a unique look (I think it’s cool looking) and it probably sounds good for what it is.

evobatman posted:

BeoSound Stage.

I like these options, one question about ARC though. How big of a deal is it for my use case? My TV is an LG OLED55B6P (2016) and I'm not sure if it supports eARC like the B&O, or if it matters for my use case?

I'm watching content from my Apple TV only, either from Plex or a streaming service, with occasional connections from my Switch / PC for game things.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

I like these options, one question about ARC though. How big of a deal is it for my use case? My TV is an LG OLED55B6P (2016) and I'm not sure if it supports eARC like the B&O, or if it matters for my use case?

I'm watching content from my Apple TV only, either from Plex or a streaming service, with occasional connections from my Switch / PC for game things.
eARC is basically ARC 2.0 and is required for HD surround sound and Atmos, but regular ARC supports Dolby Digital 5.1 which is fine for most people.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
I'm looking for a system that I can connect to my '18 LG TV (so ARC but not eARC, I think).

I do not have any existing equipment other than the TV, and would be using it for a mix of TV/movies, gaming, and varying music (some bass heavy, some not); future-proofing for the claimed audio output on a PS5 would be nice, assuming anyone knew what that entailed at this point (Atmos?)

I'd also like the ability to do a multiroom setup, where the same music can be played to one or more groups at once - I know I can duplicate this via something like a Chromecast, but this seems a bit different than multizone on a dedicated receiver, since I don't want the ability to play a distinct analog signal in the other as much.

Music tonal range and quality is more important to me than big thumps.

I'm willing to spend a few grand on this (up to 5?), but am in Canada for pricing, and would like to get at least a 4.1 in the main TV room, and another 2-4 more speakers across the other two rooms, meaning 9 channels for a full 5.1 setup.

Is something like HEOS going to be the best option here? It would be nice to not require locking into a system, but the controls for distinct components turning rooms on /off don't seem as straightforward short of a multi-speaker selector switch.

I've also seen some other dedicated multiroom receiver systems from companies like HTD or Russound, but not much for reviews on them; does anyone have any insight into any of those?

edit: ------------v

Thanks; I'll check on that system. On a quick glance it seems to match what I want, and still have good quality speakers.

Birudojin fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 31, 2020

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’m a Yamaha fan and would be looking at their musiccast compatible equipment if I was interested in multi room sound.

Might not do what you want, not sure, but worth looking into I think

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah, Sonos, HEOS, MusicCast, etc. are your best bet. I get the lock-in concern but most of them support both Chromecast and Airplay now which mitigates is a bit. Musiccast has a smaller ecosystem because it's just one vendor. I know people gripe about Sonos but it does work really well, and the One SL and Ikea speaker being so cheap makes expanding it much more affordable than other systems. The thing that's a huge ripoff on all the integrated systems is endpoints that aren't complete speakers, so anything with RCA or speaker outs is like $300 minimum and it's ridiculous and maddening. You can get a full on Denon surround receiver cheaper than a HEOS Link. It's primarily to suck up custom installer money because people renovating their houses aren't as price sensitive as normal shoppers. If you're an Apple person AirPlay 2 really does work well for multi-room.

Anyway, I'd build your system around the main HT part. There's great Canadian speaker companies like Paradigm, Totem, PSB, Axiom, etc. that you might get better value out of. No clue what subwoofer companies are around but I bet REL and SVS have distribution there. Subs from dedicated companies will pretty much always be better than ones from speaker manufacturers. I'd say a receiver like the more affordable Yamaha Aventage [they have new HDMI 2.1 models coming soon] or Denon X series would be a good bet. Unless you buy really weird speakers you should be able to get away with the cheapest one with all the inputs you need. Most of your budget should be speakers, money spent there has a much bigger impact than a nicer amplifier.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Thanks - that lines up with my current thought with something like a Yamaha Musiccast receiver using 20s setup for the surround channels and other rooms, and then a dedicated set of high-end speakers & sub for the 2.1 in the main area.

It sounds like I might need to check on my home network strength as well if I run a lot of speakers over pure wifi, but that's another topic at least.

That at least gets me down to finding speakers I like the sound of in-person and that whatever receiver / amp I get can drive properly - thanks!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Any thoughts on what would pair better with KEF LS50 speakers? A NAD AMP1 or the NAD D 3045? The former is 40W and the latter is 60W. I can get the AMP1 for €500 and the D3045 is €800.

I'm leaning towards saving the €300 and getting the AMP1 but I am a bit worried it won't be strong enough for these speakers.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

other people posted:

Any thoughts on what would pair better with KEF LS50 speakers? A NAD AMP1 or the NAD D 3045? The former is 40W and the latter is 60W. I can get the AMP1 for €500 and the D3045 is €800.

I'm leaning towards saving the €300 and getting the AMP1 but I am a bit worried it won't be strong enough for these speakers.

Those KEFs will soak up a surprising amount of power but you don't NEED a lot of power to make them sound good. But they sound fantastic if you crank them. However, you're not likely to hear a lot of difference for that $300. If it was 40W vs 100W or 200W I'd say go for it.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Those KEFs will soak up a surprising amount of power but you don't NEED a lot of power to make them sound good. But they sound fantastic if you crank them. However, you're not likely to hear a lot of difference for that $300. If it was 40W vs 100W or 200W I'd say go for it.

Thanks for this.

KEF makes a powered/wireless version of the LS50. For me those still cost €150 more than a passive pair and the D 3045 NAD. But.... the powered version has both 200W and 30W amps! So way more power than these NAD. And of course it would be a perfect match and it comes with fancy EQ options etc etc. But, even if ignoring the high price, the wireless features are pretty dated and I'd still have to buy some other networkie bits to make it work for us.

So I think spending the € on the passive ones is a better investment long term. Maybe.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There really isn't such a thing as "too much power", it's called "additional headroom" ;)

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Welp it turns out the NAD AMP1 is also sold under another brand:

https://argonaudio.com/products/sa1

It's an identical package (in white) and amp specs. The difference is it loses the chromecast feature and adds AptX HD bluetooth. And it only costs €330.

Now I need to buy a used Chromecast Audio. Apparently the second generation model is the one you want but I cannot find anywhere anything which describes how to tell the two models apart. Does anyone know?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There was only one generation Chromecast Audio, which was a variation of the second-generation Chromecast :)

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
ohhh i misinterpreted a line in wikipedia as referring to a hardware update. but duh, it was a software update.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
cross posted from quick audio questions thread as this thread seems a bit more active:

My Sonos Arc arrived today, just wondering how best to set it up with my ps4 - The Last of Us 2 auto detects 5.1ch audio, should I manually set this back to 2.0 as I don't currently have rear speakers? I'll be getting 2 smaller speakers soon, just wondering how best to use it until then.

I had some weird issues with running the bar to begin with. Ps4 Pro connected to an LG B8, soundbar connected to the HDMI ARC on the TV. In the ps4 settings, if I tried using audio out set to HDMI and then Dolby digital or DTS, there would be a very noticeable (like 500ms) delay. Linear PCM worked fine however, but that can only send 2 channel audio.

I then tried connecting the ps4 directly to the soundbar via optical, with the optical adapter. This got rid of the delay, but I didnt want this to be the solution as I want the bar to work for both the ps4 and the tv.

So I switched back to using the ARC on the TV, nothing going into the optical port on the ps4, and weirdly the ps4 audio setting is saying optical out, Dolby Digital is enabled, and Last of us 2 is detecting 5.1ch audio. With no delay.

So... what the hell is happening there? I've read a little about the audio delay issue and that appears to be coming from the TV decoding the audio, I'm just confused as to how the PlayStation is now apparently sending a 5.1ch signal with no delay through HDMI even though it says it's using the optical out.

Apologies for the wall of text, I'm just a bit new to all this stuff.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
do you have optical plugged in?

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Dogen posted:

do you have optical plugged in?

nope, there's nothing plugged in to the ps4 optical port.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LG TVs have a known ARC lag issue with iirc DTS and Dolby Digital Plus, I think I read that vanilla dolby digital works ok though.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
As a follow up to my previous post, I was mistaken about the ps4 sending a 5.1 signal with no delay - what was happening was it was set to optical, but with no optical connection it would just default back to HDMI. The signal it was sending was a normal 2.0 signal.

So I'm still stuck with the fact that I've purchased around £2000 worth of equipment which doesn't really work as it should, sonos seem to blame LG and LG blame sonos. I'm leaning toward it being an issue on LGs end, as when the ps4 is connected directly to the Arc there is no delay.

Not sure where to go from here, I've emailed LG but some Googling shows that this has been an issue for years and nothing has ever been done about it. The set is still under warranty but there would be no point in getting a replacement as its not broken as such.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I've changed my main room around somewhat in the last few months and was wanting to rerun Room EQ Wizard again but for the life of me I can't remember how I got it to work with 5.1 surround sound. There's meant to be an Output Mapping option but there isn't??

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How would I hook up a Beosound Stage to the TV such that whatever plays through the TV (Lg OLED B6P) through the speaker instead? I have one HDMI ARC on the TV

I don’t have a receiver or anything, just a few devices hooked directly to the TV via HDMI

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

HDMI cable from the ARC port on the TV to the ARC port on the soundbar. Enable ARC under the sound settings on your TV. If necessary, switch the soundbar to use the ARC port.

It really should be about that easy.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
And after hooking it up, the BeoRemote One (because you should buy one!) will also control your TV, and the TV remote will control volume on the Stage.

The sound from your devices will automatically play through the Stage.

There is also a BeoSound Stage floor stand recently launched, for mounting your TV and sound bar. Costs $$$, but looks good.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

evobatman posted:

And after hooking it up, the BeoRemote One (because you should buy one!) will also control your TV, and the TV remote will control volume on the Stage.

The sound from your devices will automatically play through the Stage.

There is also a BeoSound Stage floor stand recently launched, for mounting your TV and sound bar. Costs $$$, but looks good.

I saw the stand. I like it if I was freestanding the TV somewhere but it doesn’t work with my setup.

The remote looks weird to me, its got too much going on (and all remotes do I guess). I use an AppleTV for everything so I only need a few functions (no numbers, for instance). I’ll take another look at it when I’m all set up.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Is there any kind of app that I can run in Windows 10 that works like "the Levelator" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levelator i.e. it takes audio being played by my computer and makes it so that some of the quieter parts are less quiet, and the loud parts are less loud? Sort of decrease the dynamic range, although I'm not sure compression is exactly what I'm looking for.

I have the classic problem of watching a movie (in VLC player or streaming online somewhere) where the dialog is way too quiet but the explosions and sound effects are absurdly loud.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

The Scientist posted:

Is there any kind of app that I can run in Windows 10 that works like "the Levelator" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levelator i.e. it takes audio being played by my computer and makes it so that some of the quieter parts are less quiet, and the loud parts are less loud? Sort of decrease the dynamic range, although I'm not sure compression is exactly what I'm looking for.

I have the classic problem of watching a movie (in VLC player or streaming online somewhere) where the dialog is way too quiet but the explosions and sound effects are absurdly loud.

This is actually baked into windows. If you open up the properties window for your sound device and go to the enhancements tab there is an option to enable "loudness equalization"

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I assume you're using stereo and not 3.1/5.1?

Dialogue has it's own channel, problems happen when it's forced to use the same channel as the effects.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

I assume you're using stereo and not 3.1/5.1?

Dialogue has it's own channel, problems happen when it's forced to use the same channel as the effects.

Isn’t that only how it’s supposed to work and not how it actually works?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The center channel is not a dialogue channel, it's for everything that happens in the general middle of the scene.

Your center channel speaker should be at least as capable as your left/right speakers.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Weird to see this in a newspaper but here we go. Must be a lot more common than I thought it would be.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/sep/06/that-syncing-feeling-when-your-soundbar-lets-you-down

quote:

It is a problem that dogs numerous soundbars; depending on how you go about watching the television, the sound can come slightly before or after the picture, creating a jarring lip-sync issue. Once noticed, even a minor delay in the picture or sound can be infuriating.

When simply watching Freeview, Freesat or one of the various apps directly on your TV, ARC usually handles the synchronisation without issue. The problem comes when you attempt to watch some other video source connected to your TV, and is particularly prevalent with broadcast TV boxes such as Sky’s Q or Virgin’s V6. If the automatic systems designed to correct timing issues fail, most set-top boxes, TVs and soundbars have ways to manually add a delay to the audio so you can synchronise it with the picture. But getting it right is a tedious process, which may leave someone questioning why they have to tweak a piece of technology that they have spent so much money on. These tools work fine when the picture is behind the sound, but if the sound is delayed and arrives after the picture you’re often out of luck. And it is this issue that plagues all brands, costs and sizes of device. If the audio arrives at your soundbar after the picture is displayed on TV, delaying the audio does nothing. And worse, the delay can be variable depending on the content you’re watching, and the sound format it was shown in.

People often point the finger of blame straight at the soundbar, but the anger is often misplaced. The culprit is more likely to be the set-top box or the TV further up the chain. That leaves those unlucky TV watchers contacting call centres for each of their various bits of kit, ending up in a merry-go-round of agents blaming each other. It is such a common and irritating problem that various online forums are filled with people trying to work out homemade fixes, often with bizarre sets of configuration steps that might as well include some sort of prayer and a dance. There’s even a cottage industry of – often high-priced – devices that attempt to solve the issue. These third-party companies make and sell small gadgets to solve what is essentially a software failing.

I do love the last line of the article:

quote:

ARC was meant to solve the issues caused by the older optical connections it replaced in 2009 but could not.

TOSLINK superiority since 1983 :v:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the only advantage ARC has over Optical out from TV is that it can pass through uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1. Otherwise, the lag issues are still there any time the audio source is anything other than the TV itself (Ex: smart tv streaming apps).

My soundbar from 2012 has 3 HDMI inputs for passthrough which is ideal because this creates no audio or video lag. It can’t do PCM 5.1 or 7.1 though so I want a new one that does with 3.1 or more channels. Unfortunately there are basically no new sound bars on the market that have more than one HDMI input for passthrough.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah, the only advantage ARC has over Optical out from TV is that it can pass through uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1. Otherwise, the lag issues are still there any time the audio source is anything other than the TV itself (Ex: smart tv streaming apps).

My soundbar from 2012 has 3 HDMI inputs for passthrough which is ideal because this creates no audio or video lag. It can’t do PCM 5.1 or 7.1 though so I want a new one that does with 3.1 or more channels. Unfortunately there are basically no new sound bars on the market that have more than one HDMI input for passthrough.

Does this have an issue if the system goes Input > TV > Soundbar (not Input > Soundbar > TV)?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

BigFactory posted:

Isn’t that only how it’s supposed to work and not how it actually works?
It's obviously however it's encoded, but true in most cases.

If you watch something like the nfl, it's pretty much always true. Which is great because you can unplug the center channel speaker and get no announcers and only ambiance. It's amazing.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

why do people want anything over 2.1 with a soundbar. do you have satellite speakers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Dogen posted:

why do people want anything over 2.1 with a soundbar. do you have satellite speakers?

Some sound bars have a left, center, and right speaker with a subwoofer, so you would benefit from PCM 5.1 uncompressed over Stereo PCM. Some of those 3 channel soundbars also have satellite rear speakers as well making them 5.1.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does this have an issue if the system goes Input > TV > Soundbar (not Input > Soundbar > TV)?

Yes, basically if there’s any device between the audio source and the soundbar (source > TV > out to soundbar) there will be audio lag. Sometimes it’s small enough that most users wouldn’t notice but sometimes it’s noticeable and nothing can be done about it. Based on my experience and that article it’s because TVs are not particularly good at passing through digital audio.