Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1299034177904537602

Oh hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

i've had my ipad pro for about a year now and ive never downloaded any google products to it, as far as i can remember. i don't use email on my tablet and just watch youtube videos on safari. i did have youtube music on my phone and had to be signed in because of a free trial.
last night i downloaded youtube and i was already signed in. im kind of bothered by it so i uninstalled.

anyway, i don't like being automatically logged into stuff like that.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh drat.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If they have a mini version of the Air 4 my wife will be all over that. That looks extremely good.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I hope that doesn't point to them putting TouchID on the lock button of the phones. I want my under-glass TouchID, dammit

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

OldSenileGuy posted:

I hope that doesn't point to them putting TouchID on the lock button of the phones. I want my under-glass TouchID, dammit

Haven’t most of the Android manufacturers that tried that dropped it? The incoming Pixel phone appears to have a rear shell fingerprint scanner again

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What product has a “manual” anymore anyway.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm too cheap for a proper keyboard so I found this to use on my android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.appground.blekpremium

Edit: the touchpad works very well. The keyboard is kinda spotty. I fixed most of my issues by disabling autocorrect and auto complete on the ipad. For the buck fifty I paid I'm happy.

The General fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 29, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Ok Comboomer posted:

Civ 6 is basically full-featured on iPad, but pricey.

You like EVE Online? Wanna join the Goon Squad? EVE Echoes came out last week.

Holy cow, looks like I've been missing out on this. $20 for the full version doesn't seem so bad compared to $60. Looks like a fantastic port, I may plunk down for it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Holy cow, looks like I've been missing out on this. $20 for the full version doesn't seem so bad compared to $60. Looks like a fantastic port, I may plunk down for it.

It used to be $60.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What about the expansions? I see $30 for one and $40 for another.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

Haven’t most of the Android manufacturers that tried that dropped it? The incoming Pixel phone appears to have a rear shell fingerprint scanner again

Google never used an under display reader. Samsung, Oneplus, LG, Motorola all still use them.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

priznat posted:

If they have a mini version of the Air 4 my wife will be all over that. That looks extremely good.
Rumors were saying something like 8.5-9" screen for the new mini for a while, which lines up size wise with it going full screen/thin bezel as well.

Rather have Face ID though cause Touch ID is relatively inconvenient on the iPad (like when I have it just propped up or w/keyboard, any time I'm not just holding it basically). Wonder if tap to wake screen is out too then since that's kinda tied to Face ID, UI flow wise.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's looking like there's an Air 4 coming out with the Pro design and TouchID on the lock button, but no FaceID.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How will it be different? Mostly the cameras?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Screen refresh rate, probably.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Probably that and all the other remaining little differences between the current iPad Air and Pro like CPU/GPU (and RAM?), speakers, refresh rate, and do the Pros have a wider color gamut?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I mostly wonder if this is hinting at the iPhones 12 having TouchID again because that would get me to upgrade, even though I don't really want to. (I like FaceID but whoops that poo poo sucks in a pandemic!)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My 4.5 year old is going to be fully online for preK and got a Chromebook with a touchpad for doing his school work. He has no idea how to use a touchpad, and I'm looking at iPads now after never having one before

Last spring we noticed the responsiveness of my wife's iPhone 8 for his online stuff got him to actually do it, as opposed to an old Kindle fire we had laying around. With that in mind Im assuming my focus should be on the processor to make things as snappy as possible.

The pro is too expensive, so it looks like I should be choosing between the mini and the air? Is that correct?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

My 4.5 year old is going to be fully online for preK and got a Chromebook with a touchpad for doing his school work. He has no idea how to use a touchpad, and I'm looking at iPads now after never having one before

Last spring we noticed the responsiveness of my wife's iPhone 8 for his online stuff got him to actually do it, as opposed to an old Kindle fire we had laying around. With that in mind Im assuming my focus should be on the processor to make things as snappy as possible.

The pro is too expensive, so it looks like I should be choosing between the mini and the air? Is that correct?

All the iPads from the last few years are fast. Base model is great. I don't think you should spend a few hundred bucks extra on an Air for some negligible performance boost for the purposes of your kid's pre-K, every iPad is going to be extremely more responsive than a Fire and also noticeably better than your iPhone 8. Similarly, the reason to get the Mini would be if the size works for him better, not anything else about it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I see no reason to get an Air over the base iPad here. I see very few reasons in general, but particularly for a small child. poo poo, if Apple dot com has refurb 2018 models, those would be an even better choice unless you can get a good deal on a 2019.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

If you can wait like 2-3 weeks, the rumor mill is pretty set on the Air getting a major refresh in September. New SoC, bigger display, Pencil 2 support instead of (the much less good) Pencil 1 if that matters. At minimum it’ll be a much more future-proof device.

Between the currently available models, if you need one right the heck now, I would honestly just get the base model standard iPad. You can get them on sale or refurb (use the official Apple Refurb Store for refurbs, don’t buy them from Amazon or Best Buy or other resellers/refurbishers) for like half the price of the Air, or even less, and it’ll be plenty powerful.

Even with the old SoC it’ll run absolute circles around any Kindle Fire. And if you wind up feeling the need to upgrade soon, $200-$400 (with Pencil 1) is a way better loss to eat than spending $450-$600 with Pencil 1 that will be outclassed by a much better iPad and the much better Pencil 2.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

My 4.5 year old is going to be fully online for preK

What the heck does a 4.5 year old do at online school?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mastershakeman posted:

Get a base model iPad. Cheaper, larger screen than a Mini, still supports the Pencil, easier to replace if broken or stolen. Unless your child is literally Mozart or Michelangelo reborn, they will not need the extra horsepower of a Pro.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

Are you sure the iPad will be compatible with the learning management system and activities your kid is going to be expected to do?

For what it’s worth the trackpads on most laptops are horrible and I’d try a <$20 mouse before a brand new tablet but that’s just me.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

mastershakeman posted:

My 5 year old's OG Mini kicks the poo poo out of her school Chromebook. Whatever you decide to get will be better.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Get a base model iPad. Cheaper, larger screen than a Mini, still supports the Pencil, easier to replace if broken or stolen. Unless your child is literally Mozart or Michelangelo reborn, they will not need the extra horsepower of a Pro.

Or if they’re just older. Like, I could see a nine or ten year-old taking advantage of the extra HP in an Air to use music/art/filmmaking apps more capably (not that the base model is really a slouch in that dept, I’m perfectly pleased with my 2018 though I’ve maxed out the CPU a few times running multiple layered VSTs). Hell, ten year-old me would’ve killed for a powerful iPad to be to do arts + crafts with.

My beef with the Pencil 1 for a child is that it’s way more fragile than the 2 (very easy to break the charging nub, and possibly the iPad’s lightning port) and that magnetic cap was seemingly designed so that a child would lose or swallow it. But I guess that’s a good argument for getting a Logitech Crayon, and it’s cheaper too.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

jabro posted:

My 5 year old's OG Mini kicks the poo poo out of her school Chromebook. Whatever you decide to get will be better.

I just had this conversation with my brother since his 10 year old is the scourge of chromebooks and since they're not school issued now, he doesn't have the pile of beaters to swap parts and I gave up that duty long ago. Like was said, as long as your school's software is iOS compatible a base iPad with a sturdy case, a pencil or crayon, some ScreenTime restrictions, and a mouse/keyboard if necessary is about as good as it gets.

If you need anything beefier than that Ebay is still awash in formerly leased laptops and ultrabooks that can be had for 2-500 bucks even if the selection isn't as good as it was pre-Rona.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I just had this conversation with my brother since his 10 year old is the scourge of chromebooks and since they're not school issued now, he doesn't have the pile of beaters to swap parts and I gave up that duty long ago. Like was said, as long as your school's software is iOS compatible a base iPad with a sturdy case, a pencil or crayon, some ScreenTime restrictions, and a mouse/keyboard if necessary is about as good as it gets.

If you need anything beefier than that Ebay is still awash in formerly leased laptops and ultrabooks that can be had for 2-500 bucks even if the selection isn't as good as it was pre-Rona.

Gonna put on my ex-middle school teacher hat for a second: I’m still a big believer in the family desktop computer, especially for younger kids.

You can set them up somewhere where you/your partner can keep an eye on them and what they’re doing, and give them a station for work with an environment of consistency and structure rather than a laptop or tablet that they just drag anywhere in the house. If that’s going to be their school replacement, then a “specific location where work is done” is going to help replicate some of the structure and work skills that kids of that age are supposed to be learning.

EBay’s full of cheap Dell Optiplexes again now that there isn’t such a run on them like there was in March. You can get one with a 4th gen Core i5 or i7 for anywhere from $90 to $150, depending on whether it’s SSFF, SFF, or a full minitower that can more easily take upgrades like a beefier GPU, whether it ships with an SSD, how much RAM it comes with, and whether it comes with an OS or not.

You can go totally stripped bare, toss in a $25 Microcenter SSD, $25 for a mouse + keyboard from Logitech, a copy of Ubuntu or Win10 (there’s a goon on SAmart who works in some kind of refurbishment or deployment industry and sells legit licenses dirt cheap), plug in a monitor that you probably already have, and be off to the races.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

That advice is great if the kid isn't 4.5 years old. At least till second grade it needs to be an iPad so they can operate the device. I don't believe an elementary age kid should ever have a device but here we are in a Pandemic and it's the nature of the world. If you taught middle school you may have just forgot how difficult mouse control is till 3rd grade or higher.

I like how easily I can monitor my kids usage with Family sharing but Safari not being an always allowed app option is mind boggling. I get pinged with screen time requests so my kindergarten login since the school login goes through the browser. I'm still weirded out to see my 5 year old on a Teams call, he will start his day with a Speech teacher who will call him on Teams

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

"Look, just compile the goddamn kernel module. This isn't hard" *me giving a kid an Ubuntu machine to school from home*

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

And I have 3 kids between the grades of K - 4. Chromebooks and iPads it is.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

"Look, just compile the goddamn kernel module. This isn't hard" *me giving a kid an Ubuntu machine to school from home*

This is why I will only allow my children to use raspberry pi’s until they’re old enough to drive. :argh:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That advice is great if the kid isn't 4.5 years old. At least till second grade it needs to be an iPad so they can operate the device. I don't believe an elementary age kid should ever have a device but here we are in a Pandemic and it's the nature of the world. If you taught middle school you may have just forgot how difficult mouse control is till 3rd grade or higher.

Uuuuuh, no I definitely haven’t. And it wasn’t that long ago that I got certified to teach, or that I was made aware of what goes into an elementary curriculum.

IDK about you, but I started using a desktop computer when I was like three sitting on my dad’s lap. I understand that that’s a matter of socioeconomic privilege and having computer-literate parents, especially back in the early 90s, but since we’re talking about spending iPad Air money on a preschooler here...

By 4-5 I could use age-appropriate software semi-decently on my own (Mercer Mayer’s Little Monster, Richard Scarey’s Busytown, Reader Rabbit, Math Blaster, Treasure Cove, and a whole bunch of JumpStart! games represent—though my favorite app, by far, was Microsoft Dinosaurs and I once spent an afternoon painstakingly printing out every single article and picture and then taping them to the walls in my room. My parents were apoplecticthrilled. Also I would get up really early on Saturdays and sneak minutes on my dad’s copy of Wolfenstein 3D before Mom woke up). I remember first we had a b&w Macintosh Classic and then stepped up to a Performa when I was in Kindergarten and Mac #1 died.

I’m sure that many, many goons of a similar age can speak to having similar experiences growing up.

If your son were going to school he would absolutely be getting basic computing instruction, maybe not in Pre-K as that’s entirely dependent on how well-funded your district is, but it’s still definitely a part of most Kindergarten programs. Back in ‘94 my public elementary school had us learning basic computer skills and typing sentences, badly, on computer lab Macintoshes (I actually didn’t touch a Windows machine until fifth grade when the Performa finally bit the dust and Dad replaced it with a Dell. It came with this kickass Yahtzee game and also Rogue Squadron :getin: ).

With all that said, I was never allowed to have my own computing device (not that they really existed, beyond PCs or cell phones) or really any PC games (I bought my own copy of Diablo II with chore money years after it came out, and had to beg my parents for permission to load it on the family desktop) and I didn’t get my own computer until I went to college.

Like, I really don’t know what cave school you went to, but by third grade I was expected to type papers and do basic research online and with encyclopedia software like Encarta in computer lab.

To say that an average child, performing at grade-level developmentally, can’t operate a mouse and keyboard before third grade is seriously :psyduck: , and it ignores the last four decades in education trends.

I don’t want to tell anybody how to raise their kids but it also feels like serious buck-passing if you have the economic means to buy your child a brand new iPad Air but are convinced that they’re intellectually incapable of operating a mouse until they’re eight.

Like, you teach them that stuff. Same thing with reading. You do read to your kids at home, right? 4-6 is a big critical period for learning how to read, do not let that window get away from them. If you can overdo it now, and get them reading above grade level, you can get them reading above grade level for the rest of their childhoods. It’s one of the single best things that you can do for them.

Matt Zerella posted:

Ubuntu might be a bad suggestion, but if you can’t afford a copy of Windows or a Mac it might be your best bet. When I taught at a school with a cohort where 85% of the kids were below the federal poverty line, a local nonprofit set a lot of my students up with rehabbed office PCs running Ubuntu and it saved them from having to write all of their papers on their phones or do them in-school on our lovely, lovely fleet of chromebooks.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 31, 2020

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I just want to say dont buy your 9 year old an ipad pro. I'm 35 and it's almost wasted on me. The only way I can justify it is that I watch a lot of TV on it and the speakers are better than some TVs I've owned.

Regardless of what kind it ipad you get your kid though, AppleCare for sure. If you can't afford the extra $50 or whatever it is, you definitely cant afford the $400 to replace it due to whimsy.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

The General posted:

Regardless of what kind it ipad you get your kid though, AppleCare for sure. If you can't afford the extra $50 or whatever it is, you definitely cant afford the $400 to replace it due to whimsy.

As someone who has broken a 12.9 Pro before this is very good advice. You also need AppleCare to get an express replacement and get a new one overnighted if anything goes wrong with an iPad.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

Ubuntu might be a bad suggestion, but if you can’t afford a copy of Windows or a Mac it might be your best bet. When I taught at a school with a cohort where 85% of the kids were below the federal poverty line, a local nonprofit set a lot of my students up with rehabbed office PCs running Ubuntu and it saved them from having to write all of their papers on their phones or do them in-school on our lovely, lovely fleet of chromebooks.

Oh I get it, I was just having some fun.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TouchID on the power button is literally the one thing that would get me to sell every Apple gadget I own just to upgrade to having said feature. Even my 2020 Pro. Assuming they'd put it on a 2021 Pro, I mean -- I can't downgrade back to a regular iPad after owning this thing :swoon:

Last Chance posted:

The Air 2 is one of the best iPads ever made. If the OP was offered a free iPad upgrade without that sweet laminated display, it wasn’t worth it imho.

I went from an Air2 to a free iPad6 without thinking.

That lasted maybe a month before I upgraded to a Pro just to get a laminated screen again.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
There was some discussion recently on this. I'm interested in setting up a host on my NAS (Unraid) to serve up Comics so they don't have to be all local on my iPad. What's the best current server/iOS reader pairing today? I'm okay spending money on them if they're high quality / high compatibility?

Idea is to store the CBRs on the server and fire up the iPad app to point to it and either read over the network or be able to pull them in easily to local storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TraderStav posted:

There was some discussion recently on this. I'm interested in setting up a host on my NAS (Unraid) to serve up Comics so they don't have to be all local on my iPad. What's the best current server/iOS reader pairing today? I'm okay spending money on them if they're high quality / high compatibility?

Idea is to store the CBRs on the server and fire up the iPad app to point to it and either read over the network or be able to pull them in easily to local storage.

Chunky lets you connect to pretty much whatever you want. I don't think it will read it over the network though. You'd have to copy it over. Honestly, that's how I'd do it anyway.