Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waltzing Along posted:

I found a 3ds headset with mic. What games utilized chat? Were there any? I'm confused about this item.

Pokemon X and Y did. I think there were a few more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I found a 3ds headset with mic. What games utilized chat? Were there any? I'm confused about this item.

I know Pokemon had a super barebones implementation of voice chat. It may be on of those things where Nintendo makes a super niche product for a not-so-niche game. Like the Gamecube controller keyboard.

Midjack posted:

There were some games that had you blow onto the mic, and a few of the language training carts that would grade your pronunciation. I think some WarioWare mini games used it too.

:negative:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've got a DS headset mic. I used it for Pokemon Platinum once.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Pokemon X and Y did. I think there were a few more.

Surprised the hell out of me when I heard somebody on the other side when playing a Pokemon match, that's for sure

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Metroid Prime Hunters and Planet Puzzle League had voice chat, maybe only in the lobbies, I forget. Advance Wars too, maybe?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Custom Robo Arena had voice chat in the lobby, also. Way more DS games had it than 3DS games

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I didn't get a DS until the 3ds and even then I'd say 99.9999% of my playing has been solo. I never really considered it being an online thing. But now that I think about it, I remember people complaining about cheaters in MKDS.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Warioware Gold allows you to voice over the cutscenes in special modes, probably other stuff. I think Warioware DIY let you sing songs to convert to MarioPaint style music

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waltzing Along posted:

I didn't get a DS until the 3ds and even then I'd say 99.9999% of my playing has been solo. I never really considered it being an online thing. But now that I think about it, I remember people complaining about cheaters in MKDS.

I remember that Nintendo didn’t even advertise that WiFi was in the DS so it was a big surprise to me when I found out that Mario Kart even had online play.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I could barely use any DS online games because they didn't support routers using WPA2 encryption, which was all of them at that point afaik, I could get around it by manually changing it to WEP then once it was connected I could switch it back but since the DS online was done on a per game basis it was way too much trouble.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
WPA2 was very rare when the DS was launched.

But yes it was an awful system nonetheless.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sakurazuka posted:

I could barely use any DS online games because they didn't support routers using WPA2 encryption, which was all of them at that point afaik, I could get around it by manually changing it to WEP then once it was connected I could switch it back but since the DS online was done on a per game basis it was way too much trouble.

The DS was useful because I had to learn about bridging network connections to get it online at all, and that ended up being super useful in turn for spoofing Spotpass on the 3DS.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

WPA2 was very rare when the DS was launched.

But yes it was an awful system nonetheless.

The DS itself not having WPA2 was forgivable, but they baked the whole network stack into each game instead of deferring to the firmware so DS games still don't support WPA2 when you play them on a 3DS :mad:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

repiv posted:

so DS games still don't support WPA2 when you play them on a 3DS :mad:

Can you homebrew around this?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe technically, but even if you did I don't think any of the remote servers would exist anymore so

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Can you homebrew around this?

nope

apparently dsi-enhanced games could do wpa2 on a dsi (or 3ds) but plain ds games are forever stuck without it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

repiv posted:

but they baked the whole network stack into each game instead of deferring to the firmware so DS games still don't support WPA2 when you play them on a 3DS :mad:

i dunno this seems like a proprietary thing, like nintendo making third-party n64 launch devs reach their hands into an opaque box and not letting them look at the gamepad. "if you want your game to have online connectivity you have to bake it into the cart. you can't look at our spec"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Maybe technically, but even if you did I don't think any of the remote servers would exist anymore so

There are fan servers these days I believe.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It's not impossible to homebrew DS games to use WPA2 instead of WEP but I don't think anyone's doing that.

Setting up a homebrew server is vastly easier with an used kinda garbage router so that's two problems in one.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I just realized that there are translation patches for both of the Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Naruhodō Ryūnosuke no Bōken games. What a dream come true. I haven’t found either of them in the wild yet, but I’m almost bursting at the possibility of two “new” games in the series.

Has anyone played them? Where do they rank relative to the others?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Fly Ricky posted:

I just realized that there are translation patches for both of the Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Naruhodō Ryūnosuke no Bōken games. What a dream come true. I haven’t found either of them in the wild yet, but I’m almost bursting at the possibility of two “new” games in the series.

Has anyone played them? Where do they rank relative to the others?

Well, last I checked the translation for the second one's only like 3/5 done, so I'm leaving that until they've finished. But I have played the first one, it's pretty solid; I don't think I ever found any point where I felt something was missing in translation. There may have been one point where some bit of evidence didn't seem to fit in where it needed to be presented, but I don't quite remember what the problem was. At the very least, they didn't go overboard and turn the thing into a Dickens novel, although it is plainly british-flavoured.

I don't really have any real ranking in mind, so I can't quite help you with that. Instead I'll say: the cases were pretty interesting and reasonably well-grounded (nothing like, say, a yokai village outside LA) in the time/place they're meant to be; characters were interesting enough; and I thought the gimmicks were pretty well-done. If I had a ranking, I'd put it pretty high up on the list. Although I think part of that is that this doesn't have all the plot weighing it down the way the latest few games have, since it's set so far before those games (and in another country). I think not having to fit a million strangely-shaped puzzle pieces together helped a lot to strengthen the writing. It's very solid, but it was also rather plainly written with a sequel in mind, so I hope having things dangling over your head doesn't bother you too terribly much.

As for the gimmicks, I think I'll pop this in spoiler bars just to be safe:

The Holmes bits feel a bit like a more refined version of the edgeworth logic/debate bits in the Investigations games, and the music and animations are delightful. The courtroom gimmick's probably the bigger deal, with the multiple witnesses/jurors you have to keep an eye on. It works out very well, and there are some superb animations involved in that.
There is one annoying bit towards the end involving stereoscopic vision, because it doesn't really use the 3d to do so, and you get the game asking you to cross your eyes — but I believe you can just ignore those prompts, it'll take pity on you and either actually merge the images so they work with the 3d, or otherwise show you what you're meant to see.

The animation work is really quite nice. I don't have any particular impressions on the animations in the other/mainline 3DS games, but they did a wonderful job on Great Ace Attorney. They even made rather good use of the 3d with them, which was nice.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Thanks for the impressions! Sounds great. They definitely bungle it then. Shame they never found a proper release outside Japan.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
So I tracked down a copy of Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Naruhodō Ryūnosuke no Bōken and applied the translation patch. It seems very well done. Maybe I’ve just forgotten how the Ace Attorney games worked over the years, but goddamn it’s so nit picky about the evidence you submit to prove your point.

Only finished the first case, but there were several instances where I had two pieces of evidence that more or less show the same thing and got dinged for not picking the “right” one, only to have to present the other option nearly immediately after. I’m probably just thinking too far ahead; they always want you to take the smallest steps possible to get to the point. Even though it’s completely logical to just submit one piece of evidence that can bridge the gaps.

This may be tainted by the fact I just finished the first Danganropa which did a good job of avoiding such pitfalls.

But the animation and 3D effects are gorgeous, as always. I’d have to look at the earlier editions again, but it seems as though they’re the best in the series thus far. Lots of reused assets, but it seems that there are more small details added to spice it up. Kind of surprised at how racist the first antagonist was (towards the Japanese characters).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fly Ricky posted:

Maybe I’ve just forgotten how the Ace Attorney games worked over the years, but goddamn it’s so nit picky about the evidence you submit to prove your point.

This is every single AA game, yeah. It doesn't matter if the evidence you submit would clearly prove that the accused is guilty, if it's not the sole piece of evidence the game wants you to submit at that point, it's wrong.

This is made way worse by the fact that several cases in the series want you to submit evidence that's plain worse than something else you could submit.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 20, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fly Ricky posted:

So I tracked down a copy of Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Naruhodō Ryūnosuke no Bōken and applied the translation patch. It seems very well done. Maybe I’ve just forgotten how the Ace Attorney games worked over the years, but goddamn it’s so nit picky about the evidence you submit to prove your point.

Only finished the first case, but there were several instances where I had two pieces of evidence that more or less show the same thing and got dinged for not picking the “right” one, only to have to present the other option nearly immediately after. I’m probably just thinking too far ahead; they always want you to take the smallest steps possible to get to the point. Even though it’s completely logical to just submit one piece of evidence that can bridge the gaps.

Obligatory Awkward Zombie comic.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Haha, I see now that I was clearly looking at the other entities through rose-colored glasses.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I've just finished the first game for the first time in years, and that felt like it had more pitfalls like that, but also simultenously expected you to make astonishing leaps of logic from time to time. I feel like later games got a bit better about that, but there's probably at least one point in each game where I have to look at a guide to figure out what the hell the game wants me to do to move on. It feels like they end up telegraphing the more obvious (to me at least) things, and then leaving you out to hang on some random little thing.

Great Ace Attorney feels a lot nicer to play in general. I don't remember having to do anything annoying like move through 4 different areas to get to where I want to investigate or anything.

Fly Ricky posted:

But the animation and 3D effects are gorgeous, as always. I’d have to look at the earlier editions again, but it seems as though they’re the best in the series thus far. Lots of reused assets, but it seems that there are more small details added to spice it up. Kind of surprised at how racist the first antagonist was (towards the Japanese characters).

Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting to the 3ds ones to see if the animations are as nice (I suspect they're not, the ones in Great Ace Attorney really blew me away, especially for an AA game).

Also get used to people hating the japanese. I suspect that's part of the reason why they weren't quite inclined to bring it over — there'd definitely be complaints about that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
last time i played it, i noticed that most of the time, the game leads you in the text to what you have to do or present. the hint is usually just a rewording of the description text of one of the pieces of evidence or its contents. of course this isn't always the case and sometimes it definitely feels like it it's just asking you to guess.

i think the only times it's egregiously bad is when they want you to point to a specific spot on a map, or interact with the systems in a way that isn't just presenting evidence or pressing testimony. you can be one pixel off, or not realize that it's asking for something more specific so you click on the place you know the answer is and it tells you "sorry nick i don't know what that has to do with anything," and that throws you way off because you end up thinking, well if it isn't that then what the gently caress IS it?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

last time i played it, i noticed that most of the time, the game leads you in the text to what you have to do or present. the hint is usually just a rewording of the description text of one of the pieces of evidence or its contents. of course this isn't always the case and sometimes it definitely feels like it it's just asking you to guess.

i think the only times it's egregiously bad is when they want you to point to a specific spot on a map, or interact with the systems in a way that isn't just presenting evidence or pressing testimony. you can be one pixel off, or not realize that it's asking for something more specific so you click on the place you know the answer is and it tells you "sorry nick i don't know what that has to do with anything," and that throws you way off because you end up thinking, well if it isn't that then what the gently caress IS it?

Yeah, some of those prompts aren't worded in a way that will lead you to finding the right spot. I've also noticed that quite a few of them require you to remember a seemingly incidental line someone threw out 20 minutes ago; that would be fine, except that was also probably a couple of save points ago, and god help you if you actually stopped playing at one of those.

Of course, then there's things like (AJ spoilers): Of course the killer was inside the ramen cart. Surely you knew that a person could be inside one of those, right? Those sort of things might be pretty intuitive if you're japanese, but that just didn't occur to me in the slightest. Relatedly, I spent an embarassingly long time spinning a book around in AA1's case 5 trying to shake a picture out of it. They swapped the covers around, but they didn't move the open hotspot to the new front cover, and just couldn't find the drat thing. Thankfully, I don't think there are terribly many things like that in Great Ace Attorney, since you're in England for most of it).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been playing Superstar Saga. I am at the University and just went into the sewers? to chase an angry star. Am I near the end? I think I just beat the villain before doing this. Looks like about 25% of the map hasn't been touched.

I like the game other than the combat which gets stale really fast.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Spoilers Game's gonna fake you out, you're close to halfway done

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah...I just saw the star split into 4. So I guess 5 more areas or whatever. Maybe 6.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i was in a state of mind last night that led me to the conclusion that i'm actually curious enough about the only mario platformer i haven't played to want to buy new super mario bros. 2. and i almost did right there, until i discovered that unlike pretty much every other 3ds nintendo game, it's still full price! what the heck! i'm not paying 40 bucks for my curiosity!

they don't even have the courtesy of offering a discount voucher on my nintendo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You can get it for under 20 on ebay

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I can’t seem find the home brew thread, can someone please link me?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think this is the one you want

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

You can get it for under 20 on ebay
Pah, physical

Also it'll probably have some very nice delivery fees when shipping to finland

Alright too much effort for this middling mario platformer that i only kind of want to play. I really just wanted to complain that it wasn't in nintendo selects.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s definitely the worst 2D Mario so you’re not missing much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s better than the original NSMB at least, going back to that was dire