Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, when you take a step back and look at QAnon, it's sort of amazing that any human being on planet loving Earth could possibly believe it and not immediately smell bullshit.

It honest-to-God sounds like a shitpost, or something Hideo Kojima's bizarro-world chud twin would write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like the intricacy of the narrative is weird but it does touch a lot of actually real stuff. Yes the government does vaccilate between blind indifference and active malevolence, yes the rich are all psychopaths who would kill you without a second thought, yes there is an international child sex crime ring that half of high society is involved with, yes we do probably want to throw all of the above people involved in a big pit and fill it in. Yes the media can and will lie out their collective arses to stop you thinking any of that.

The wrong bit is that they don't seem to make the connection that that's just what money and oligarchy appears to do to people and also for some reason seem to believe that some of the oligarchs are on their side. Which is how conservatives have thought for a long time, to a greater or lesser degree. Also a lot of liberals.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

President: "Biden's strings are being pulled by people you've never heard of, that are in the dark shadows"

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1300620008364609539?s=20

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Honestly, when you take a step back and look at QAnon, it's sort of amazing that any human being on planet loving Earth could possibly believe it and not immediately smell bullshit.
Adrenochrome poo poo is just blood libel again, and lots of conservatives believed that and still do.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

It honest-to-God sounds like a shitpost, or something Hideo Kojima's bizarro-world chud twin would write.

The Satanic Panic wasn't that long ago, and the West Memphis Three weren't freed until 2011. So in retrospect it's not so amazing they were locked up for so long, but rather they were ever released.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

What do you guys think of the alleged conspiracy of capitalists to literally overthrow FDR and install a fascist military administration in the early 30s?

"In the last few weeks of the committee's official life it received evidence showing that certain persons had made an attempt to establish a fascist organization in this country. No evidence was presented and this committee had none to show a connection between this effort and any fascist activity of any European country. There is no question that these attempts were discussed, were planned, and might have been placed in execution when and if the financial backers deemed it expedient."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot

30 minute BBC report

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Care to attach the strings between pins for us?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Does the thread think Smedley Butler was lying, crazy, or telling the truth?

And how well known is the story in America?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Please just stop posting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Try taking that talk to the Epstein thread. I think they’ve been primed to accept posts like yours.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Ambitious Spider posted:

The Satanic Panic wasn't that long ago, and the West Memphis Three weren't freed until 2011. So in retrospect it's not so amazing they were locked up for so long, but rather they were ever released.

Every now and then someone goes over to Manhattan Beach with a shovel and the 100% certainty that they'll find the secret sex tunnels under the McMartin preschool once and for all. The Satanic Panic didn't really stop, so much as police stopped taking those kinds of accusations seriously while the accusers went on with their lives having learned nothing from the experience and suffering no ill consequences.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Try taking that talk to the Epstein thread. I think they’ve been primed to accept posts like yours.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Care to attach the strings between pins for us?

packetmantis posted:

Please just stop posting.

...wait are y'all seriously just now finding about the Business Plot? because that's not an insane conspiracy theory, it was absolutely a thing. Butler went straight to Congress with it, a committee investigated it, and came back with the answer of "yep, they were definitely planning that, we can't find any evidence that they were executing it but everything else lines up"

after which, there were no prosecutions, but i'm not entirely sure that means anything given that everyone involved was rich or well-connected enough to be effectively above the law.

i feel like that's usually one of the earlier things people find out about that makes them realize the wealthy are fundamentally, inherently irredeemable

e: granted, i'm not sure what it has to do with QAnon exactly, but bringing up the Business Plot in and of itself isn't gonna make me inherently hostile, because i'm pretty clear that it was a thing and not brainwormed nonsense.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 2, 2020

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

e: granted, i'm not sure what it has to do with QAnon exactly, but bringing up the Business Plot in and of itself isn't gonna make me inherently hostile, because i'm pretty clear that it was a thing and not brainwormed nonsense.

What it has to do with Qanon is exactly the question being asked.

Bucky is the king of just dropping some unrelated poo poo, assuming it proves whatever point he is making at the time, and then getting pissy when people disagree. He's basically doing the exact same thing the Q nuts do with their bullshit without falling down that particular rabbit hole.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah nobody seemed phased by the business plot. But Bucky bringing it up in the wanton thread after his recent complete mental break reads as more of the same mental health issue, rather than anything reasonable.

It’d be like - did you know about the Tuskegee Experiments?! Makes you think!!!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

his recent complete mental break

Please can you stop doing this, it's really gross.

The point of sharing the Business Plot, (aside from that it's a pretty great story I'd never heard of and am genuinely curious how widely known it is), is to try to establish the credibility threshold that people apply to certain "conspiracies", particularly fascist ones.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

This is an ostensibly "spiritual" facebook page in Australia, started in 2012. Amongst a lot of "chakras", "light warrior", "pyramid co-ordinates" kind of posts, are dozens and dozens of posts like these:

Would anyone like to take a guess as to what they're doing this week?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
It's funny that the world can't see Putin is priming for war.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Im aware its a thing thats not in question here. Its more what it has to do with the discussion. It feels like Bucky is just saying "well if this conspiracy was real you have to believe all conspiracies" which, no, i dont.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

It's funny that the world can't see Putin is priming for war.

I'm by no means an expert in these things, but my understanding of the matter is that Putin can't be priming for war. Not that he wouldn't want to, but he simply can't afford it. Russia isn't exactly swimming in liquidity or credit.

Besides, his information warfare poo poo is working like gangbusters to destabilize the world and lets him fight asymmetrically - why change when you're winning? Sure, he's evil, but unlike Trump, Putin isn't an idiot.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
America is a terrible place and does awful poo poo constantly, and always has. There are, in fact, vastly powerful conspiracies within what QAnon calls the "deep state" - collaborations of big business, Washington, and the intelligence apparatus - that influence and control many aspects of life for countless people around the world, including all of us. The CIA is one of the most powerful and insidious organizations in human history. It's obvious to anyone who cares to look. QAnon is not one of those conspiracies lmao. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that there's been support thrown toward broadening the audience from the aforementioned powers as it dovetails with their interests, but I do not believe its origins lie with those groups. It's just homegrown American right-wing insanity, trying to make sense of things within the constraints of their dogshit ideology. Like Russia for the libs.

Basically the same thing is happening to Bucky right now. They're struggling to integrate the things they've learned about the world with the way they believe the world works. Since we get those ideas of the way the world works nailed to our brains by our environment, parents, schools, peer groups, etc., they're extremely difficult to modify or discard. So they're having a meltdown and getting pissed off that they've "figured out" this mind-blowing truth and is trying to share it for what they perceive is the benefit of everyone in this thread, but is getting a great deal of pushback. It's about the most normal thing you can expect under the circumstances.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

For sure. The weight of the evidence falls vastly on the 'QAnons are useful idiots' side of things rather than the 'QAnon is a directed conspiracy' side.

People believe stupid things. That includes you and me, too! That ain't changing.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Please can you stop doing this, it's really gross.

Then get help. Like 8 people have told you that you sound like a qanon nut at this point. I’ll back off saying it, but please see a therapist.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

ashpanash posted:

I'm by no means an expert in these things, but my understanding of the matter is that Putin can't be priming for war. Not that he wouldn't want to, but he simply can't afford it. Russia isn't exactly swimming in liquidity or credit.

Besides, his information warfare poo poo is working like gangbusters to destabilize the world and lets him fight asymmetrically - why change when you're winning? Sure, he's evil, but unlike Trump, Putin isn't an idiot.

He isn't an idiot, for sure. I doubt that his endgame is asymmetrical warfare forever, though. At some point, he'll move on to whatever his next step is going to be. Honestly, with the vitriol that trump has thrown at NATO, I assume Putin wants them gone first.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

America is a terrible place and does awful poo poo constantly, and always has. There are, in fact, vastly powerful conspiracies within what QAnon calls the "deep state" - collaborations of big business, Washington, and the intelligence apparatus - that influence and control many aspects of life for countless people around the world, including all of us. The CIA is one of the most powerful and insidious organizations in human history. It's obvious to anyone who cares to look. QAnon is not one of those conspiracies lmao. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that there's been support thrown toward broadening the audience from the aforementioned powers as it dovetails with their interests, but I do not believe its origins lie with those groups. It's just homegrown American right-wing insanity, trying to make sense of things within the constraints of their dogshit ideology. Like Russia for the libs.

Basically the same thing is happening to Bucky right now. They're struggling to integrate the things they've learned about the world with the way they believe the world works. Since we get those ideas of the way the world works nailed to our brains by our environment, parents, schools, peer groups, etc., they're extremely difficult to modify or discard. So they're having a meltdown and getting pissed off that they've "figured out" this mind-blowing truth and is trying to share it for what they perceive is the benefit of everyone in this thread, but is getting a great deal of pushback. It's about the most normal thing you can expect under the circumstances.

log off lmfao

nah but seriously though, how is Qanon categorically different from the IRA creating facebook groups to astroturf events. If they could and would do that, why could they and would they not do this?

And what does "Like Russia for the libs" mean?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

in that it's easy and tempting to expand known information about an antagonistic faction (that Russian intelligence is paying people to stir up poo poo on social media to try to sow racial and nationalistic division in NATO countries) into an all-consuming, top-down conspiracy that includes everybody you hate or fear (i.e., that Putin is personally directing a campaign of disinformation and destruction that involves millions of AI-controlled twitter accounts and hundreds of paid-off U.S. government operatives all working in concert to bring about the new Soviet Union and turn the US into its vassal state)

like I think the disconnect here is that it's possible to think Qanon is harmful and dangerous and that the current administration is taking advantage of its popularity, while also believing it's fundamentally a grassroots community mostly spread through word-of-mouth on social media by grifters who know how to infiltrate insular communities that are open to magical thinking and skepticism of the mainstream, rather than it being a fed plot from top to bottom; just because other people here don't believe it's a fed plot doesn't mean they think it's harmless

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 2, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

log off lmfao

nah but seriously though, how is Qanon categorically different from the IRA creating facebook groups to astroturf events. If they could and would do that, why could they and would they not do this?

Again, where are we saying that Qanon is categorically not being poked and prodded by someone bigger and meaner? The most reasonable claim I've seen is "they started organically, but have since been co-opted to push whatever narrative can be spoon fed to them."

I don't pretend to know all of the tricks used to get propaganda in the mainstream consciousness. That's for the sick fuckers who get marketing degrees. But they certainly do not have to be the sole proprietor of Qanon to do it. They don't even need to know who OG Q is. Again, useful idiots holds more water than a bought and paid for psyop. Just sprinkle the information you want out there for someone to pick up and run with, and let it take on a life of its own. Even if 9 of your 10 drops are branded 'fraud,' if the 10th one gets canonized, you did your job.

And just in case you're being serious, liberals like to wallpaper over their complete and utter electoral failure by blaming Russia for their own incompetence. Or to absolve them of responsibility so they can keep grifting. Your choice.

You want my advice? Pick one SINGLE event, and make a lengthy post explaining how that ties your thesis together, instead of trying to gishgallop us with 20 random events and making us try and disprove you. That's some Ben Shapiro playground debate bullshit.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

Seems rude considering I was posting with the intent to get people to stop making GBS threads on you so much. Anyway, good luck.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Hey man, some of us understand the democrats are utter failures AND Russia helped Trump. It isn't either/or. It's both.

Beyond that, I love that any American would ignore a foreign adversary attacking us. Regardless of intent.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

log off lmfao

Wildly flailing around and changing the subject every time someone asks you for details on anything you claim is not a very good way to dissuade the people who think you're having a breakdown. If you can't do a better job of supporting your arguments then you need to lurk more.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Warmachine posted:

And just in case you're being serious, liberals like to wallpaper over their complete and utter electoral failure by blaming Russia for their own incompetence. Or to absolve them of responsibility so they can keep grifting. Your choice.

aight as long as we're clear that's not what's happening here

quote:

You want my advice? Pick one SINGLE event

absolutely not

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
You should heed at least the spirit of his advice if you want to keep posting about this topic.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ashpanash posted:

Yeah, one of the things I feel we don't talk about enough is that Russia's a petrostate, so everything it does in the modern period is built on sand. A lot of what Putin does makes more sense against that backdrop.

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Yeah my dad's the same way, like I can actually sit him down and have a conversation about systemic racism, confirmation bias, and prejudice, and I can get him to a point where he seems to understand how he's been manipulated... And then he sees one video on Facebook posted by Pissed Off And Politically Incorrect of a black guy fight a white guy, and bam, he's back to believing in The Knockout Game again

Convincing someone 60+ to not believe everything they hear on Hannity and Rush is an exhausting endeavor, I can't imagine what it's like convincing someone that age that True Qanon Patriots for Trump Facebook group is not a reliable source of information

My dad is heavily into anti vaccination/covid conspiracies/Bill Gates conspiracies and a little into qanon (which blows my mind as we’re English). I’ve had a little bit of success as he’s at least stopped using Facebook (for now). Previously he said he’d delete his Facebook account once Trump wins the election and he’s done everything he can to help trump and “the children”. So progress.

With qanon I’ve just challenged him to actually do “something” for kids. Foster, adopt, campaign, whatever for real kids here where he lives because spending all day online isn’t helping anyone.

The problem with him is that I need to debunk every little thing. I can convince him that one YouTube video is nonsense but the next day he’ll just send me another where a guy in a lab coat is saying a slightly different thing. The other day it was an old Italian guy in lab coat saying the covid vaccine has mind nanobots in it. Easily disproven but the next day it’s an Australian guy in a lab coat saying you can cure covid with some cocktail of over the counter stuff.. debunking anything has a 33% chance of him accepting, a 33% chance of him accepting but countering “but only 99% of people die!!” (Will not accept that 1% is a massive amount of dead people), 33% chance of asking “but have you actually watched plandemic?” or “did you read that on snopes haha”.

It’s exhausting but seems qanon is out of his system anyway

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Have you considered picking up a labcoat from arco and wearing it when you speak to him? That seems to be the main factor.

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
I did consider starting a conspiracy theory and seeing how long it took for him to find and believe it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

croup coughfield posted:

America is a terrible place and does awful poo poo constantly, and always has. There are, in fact, vastly powerful conspiracies within what QAnon calls the "deep state" - collaborations of big business, Washington, and the intelligence apparatus - that influence and control many aspects of life for countless people around the world, including all of us. The CIA is one of the most powerful and insidious organizations in human history. It's obvious to anyone who cares to look.

If you consider the nature of the CIA and that the executive leadership, and thus objectives, of the CIA changes every 4 to 8 years I think it becomes apparent that it would have to develop a sort of institutional schizophrenia. This is probably true to some extent in the FBI and DoJ as well but at least they have the fall back of at the end of the day there are laws that govern, more or less, their behavior. The CIA operates in areas where the US legislature provides no, or at least very little, guidance.

You would have to completely firewall the functional portion of the agency from the political appointees for there to be any sort of normalcy. I wonder how many times some 'rising star' has been co-opted into a politically motivated plan, rode that to a position of authority, performed all the planning and preliminary work for some great effort and then had the entire basis of that effort just completely nixed by the next administration leaving them ostracized and 'out'?

There have got to be all kinds of crazy schisms and factions within the agency with widely varying interpretations of what's right.

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
But yes lab coats. Which is strange as he hates and distrusts mainstream medicine, science etc. It’s terrifying though. He’s an English, working class, liberal, spit on the grave of Margaret thatcher type guy and suddenly he’s telling me England needs Donald Trump. Most of the people my parents talk to on Facebook seem to be heavily into qanon. They’re mostly 50+, labour voting, healthy living, reiki and alternative medicine types.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm sure the whole of the CIA can come together for bipartisan south american socialist death.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Murgos posted:

If you consider the nature of the CIA and that the executive leadership, and thus objectives, of the CIA changes every 4 to 8 years I think it becomes apparent that it would have to develop a sort of institutional schizophrenia. This is probably true to some extent in the FBI and DoJ as well but at least they have the fall back of at the end of the day there are laws that govern, more or less, their behavior. The CIA operates in areas where the US legislature provides no, or at least very little, guidance.

You would have to completely firewall the functional portion of the agency from the political appointees for there to be any sort of normalcy. I wonder how many times some 'rising star' has been co-opted into a politically motivated plan, rode that to a position of authority, performed all the planning and preliminary work for some great effort and then had the entire basis of that effort just completely nixed by the next administration leaving them ostracized and 'out'?

There have got to be all kinds of crazy schisms and factions within the agency with widely varying interpretations of what's right.

For most of its history, the cia was tasked with maintaining American dominance and capitalism, which were bipartisan agendas. It’s only the monster chuds of the 21st century who think it should be the president’s personal army and that us postwar hegemony is somehow not good enough and must be augmented with open hostility toward every other country on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm sure the whole of the CIA can come together for bipartisan south american socialist death.

It was basically one of their primary raisons d'etre wasn't it?

This is an ostensibly "spiritual" facebook page in Australia, started in 2012. Amongst a lot of "chakras", "light warrior", "pyramid co-ordinates" kind of posts, are dozens and dozens of posts like these:

Would anyone like to take a guess as to what they're doing this week?

Anyway, it's organising (or at least heavily promoting) an anti-lockdown protest, where I'll bet dollars to donuts we'll also see a lot of Q stuff:

Here's a gallery of a bunch of their posts going all the way back to 2012: https://imgur.com/a/GAcZkBV

I found this when a kind of friend, an ostensibly smart and progressive guy, socially sophisticated, began posting about the lock-down (which isn't even a bloody lock down in my city), framing it as tyranny. Another guy posts comments starting the following exchange:
"Welcome to the war warrior"
"Thanks brother, apologies for being late [heart emoji]"
"No need to apologise brother, what matters is that you're here. Now use all the influence and magic you have to rally the troops, we need every able human beings on this planets who is willing to stand for freedom to get involved ASAP before it's too late."

I had a look at the other guys profile, and sure enough, completely redpilled on Qanon.

So I chimed in to ask what he thought of Donald Trump, and he says:
"I was not a fan until I looked pass mainstream propaganda and found out what he's done and what he'll do with the Cabal once he gets re-elected. I believe he's the only world leader who's 1. Has the balls to take the Cabal down. 2 he has the resources to take the Cabal down.
The Cabal going down will mean freedom from monetary slavery for most democratic countries.
The whole planet should back him up in my opinion. Or else the world wouldn't be a very pleasant to live in. Imagine Covid 19 restrictions X 10 and 24/7 😱"

First friend has thus far ignored it.

So, yes, there is a powerful confluence occuring, and anti lock-down stuff (being openly promoted by Russian forces) is directly recruiting people into a "war" to elect a loving fascist.

On another note here's a great big article from the Atlantic (from february): The Billion-Dollar Disinformation Campaign to Reelect the President