Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Shogunner posted:

So ZOTAC says here https://twitter.com/ZOTAC/status/1300856066566225927/photo/1 "first availability will be the RTX 3080 Series Sept 17"

So I guess we're all just going to be mashing F5 on launch day?

I mean yeah, if you want a lovely ZOTAC card that increases your ambient room temp and can be used to scare dogs across the street with the fan noise. I suggest buying one from TigerDirect for the best deal and service!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

why do i already feel like i need to be mashing f5 somewhere

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

mcbexx posted:

Here's that chart in all it's glory ...

Better than I could have dreamed

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fuzz posted:

I mean yeah, if you want a lovely ZOTAC card that increases your ambient room temp and can be used to scare dogs across the street with the fan noise. I suggest buying one from TigerDirect for the best deal and service!

all gpus increase your ambient room temp, do you think other coolers teleport the heat outdoors

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

repiv posted:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/30-series-watch-dogs-legion-bundle/

the 3070/3080/3090 have a day-one bundle with watch dogs legion and 1 year of geforce now

The only thing that'd make the GFNow worthwhile nowadays is if they somehow gave you the ability to use it as a very imperfect "SLI" for single-player games where the remote GPU did pre-processing for you. Other than that, it's kinda :jerkbag: since no one should really be "gaming on the go" right now.

Or if they started allowing you to use the remote GPU for stuff like post-processing and ML workloads.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 1, 2020

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

mcbexx posted:

:pcgaming:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

mcbexx posted:

They should have sent a poet

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Can't wait to pay $1000 cndn for my 3070

Good to see the SSD->GPU issue is being 'addressed' - like others have indicated there are a lot more vendors/components involved in getting it all to work smoothly vs a console so we'll see how it works out in practice. Perhaps "DirectStorage Certified" motherboards coming in the future?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

mcbexx posted:

Conspicuously absent from the chart: 3090.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

DrDork posted:

They are going completely and utterly out of their way to avoid saying absolutely anything about the 3090 and its weird as gently caress

They even seem to have taken it off that loving chart because it goes to 1400, the before-rumoured price, like they just decided to bump that poo poo to 1500 and remove it from the chart last minute.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well this is good news - still expensive but not $2000 CAD expensive anymore.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sauer kraut posted:

Just caught up on the video. For someone as challenged as Jensen in the presentation department, that was a smashing success through use of props :allears:
I don't like that prices stayed at the inflated Turing levels, realistically it's $100 too much for the 70/80 but I understand why Nvidia did it.

I like the fact that Jensen isn't an amazing presenter. It adds an air of authenticity because I just can't believe that he's capable of faking enthusiasm.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Good to see the SSD->GPU issue is being 'addressed' - like others have indicated there are a lot more vendors/components involved in getting it all to work smoothly vs a console so we'll see how it works out in practice. Perhaps "DirectStorage Certified" motherboards coming in the future?

If it's layered on top of DMA it could simply be a SSD certification thing, along with an OS update to enable it.

If they need a whole new motherboard to make it work, that's gonna tank adoption pretty hard. Even just a BIOS update would be a huge hurdle.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

They should have sent a poet

That 2080 Ti all by itself at $1,200+ while the 3070 is camped out at $500

Going from a 1070 to a 3070 :chord:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I have a 650W power supply and an i7 8700k. Is a 650W power supply enough for the 3070/3080? They said they spec'd it off an i9 10900k which is a lot more power-hungry than my CPU. Would really prefer not to replace my power supply as it's only a year old.

Also a bit worried about the size. My current card is 10.6 inches long and I'm not sure if something 11.2" will fit.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Can't wait to pay $1000 cndn for my 3070

i'm still wondering how the decompression works, does the gpu have an asic block like the consoles or are they doing it in compute shaders?

is the codec standardized by microsoft so assets can be compressed ahead of time and delivered to both nvidia and amd users?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

mcbexx posted:

I do feel a little bad for those who bought 2080 Tis but it is a little funny to see it all the way off in that quadrant of the chart.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

DrDork posted:

None of the Titans are there either. I don't know why the thread is having a hard time grasping that it's a Titan with new branding. It doesn't belong with with the rest and the inevitable 3080ti will deliver the same performance for less money in ~6months as usual.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

movax posted:

I do feel a little bad for those who bought 2080 Tis but it is a little funny to see it all the way off in that quadrant of the chart.

its lgit hilarious

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

OhFunny posted:

None of the Titans are there either. I don't know why the thread is having a hard time grasping that it's a Titan with new branding. It doesn't belong with with the rest and the inevitable 3080ti will deliver the same performance for less money in ~6months as usual.

They sure as poo poo didn't do much of anything to position it as a Titan, which has always had compute in mind, they just said it did 8k which is obviously a gaming-forward commitment and then hosed off

Not to mention the weird panel of gamers saying it gamed super good guys we promise.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

movax posted:

The little note by the 3070 is the best

movax
Aug 30, 2008

repiv posted:

i'm still wondering how the decompression works, does the gpu have an asic block like the consoles or are they doing it in compute shaders?

is the codec standardized by microsoft so assets can be compressed ahead of time and delivered to both nvidia and amd users?

As I understand it DirectStorage is mostly on the API side of things — for the actual decompression, I feel like they would have mentioned if they had put specific IP cores in the GPU to do that.

Oodle is obviously an early win to "standardize" around because the PS5 jumped on it, but I forget if the HW acceleration is the "full" codec, or just key blocks (kinda like at first, DCTs were accelerated in HW for video codecs before most of the motion estimation / etc parts moved to HW).

Also I keep forgetting RAD is down the street from me and I'd love to get a beer with those guys.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Taima posted:

They sure as poo poo didn't do much of anything to position it as a Titan, which has always had compute in mind, they just said it did 8k which is obviously a gaming-forward commitment and then hosed off

Not to mention the weird panel of gamers saying it gamed super good guys we promise.

It's that little blank panel cutout in your car, forever reminding you that you were too poor to buy the best.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

axeil posted:

So I have a 650W power supply and an i7 8700k. Is a 650W power supply enough for the 3070/3080? They said they spec'd it off an i9 10900k which is a lot more power-hungry than my CPU. Would really prefer not to replace my power supply as it's only a year old.

Also a bit worried about the size. My current card is 10.6 inches long and I'm not sure if something 11.2" will fit.

Outervision already has the 30XX listed (no idea if they’re numbers are correct) but looks like I’ll be able to sneak a 3080 on a 650W PSU.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

movax posted:

It's that little blank panel cutout in your car, forever reminding you that you were too poor to buy the best.

I'm probably idiotic enough to buy one but this is absolutely perfect, yes :)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

DrDork posted:

Quite iffy, and heavily dependent on what CPU you're running and if you overclock it. 600-650W is probably where the "safe" bottom is gonna be.

Also, at 5 years old, I'd look to see if it's still under warranty. If it's not, I might consider replacing it sooner rather than later regardless.

Yeah, folks said I ought to change it a year ago when I switched to a ryzen 5 2600 (because it was old, not because of power requirements), so I guess it's time.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

movax posted:

As I understand it DirectStorage is mostly on the API side of things — for the actual decompression, I feel like they would have mentioned if they had put specific IP cores in the GPU to do that.

Oodle is obviously an early win to "standardize" around because the PS5 jumped on it, but I forget if the HW acceleration is the "full" codec, or just key blocks (kinda like at first, DCTs were accelerated in HW for video codecs before most of the motion estimation / etc parts moved to HW).

Also I keep forgetting RAD is down the street from me and I'd love to get a beer with those guys.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-io-gpu-accelerated-storage-technology/

The RTX IO overview talks about moving compressed data over DirectStorage then decompressing locally on the GPU, but it's unclear to me if DirectStorage standardizes the compression part or if Nvidia is just using DirectStorage to deliver bits to a proprietary compression subsystem

Microsoft isn't using Oodle on the Xbox (their compression block is zlib + a custom BC texture packer) so I doubt DirectStorage will incorporate any RAD tech

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 1, 2020

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmm the 3080 is 720 eurobux here in Belgium.

Kind of hilarious that an extreme performance device with a hard to manufacture gently caress-off huge die and idiotic thermals is available for less than a loving iPhone.

aaaah where can u already order one in belgium?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What is the Founder's Edition pricing vs. the AIB pricing normally? Not counting the ULTIMATE EXTREME RGB OC WXYZ stuff.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Mikojan posted:

aaaah where can u already order one in belgium?

You can't order anywhere yet, but the product pages on nvidia's site tells you the prices per region along with an email submission form to let you know when they're available to buy.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

OhFunny posted:

It was mostly just weird because they went through the effort of renaming it to be more part of the normal stack, and then just didn't include it on the chart to express how much it can dominate in performance or whatever.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

sean10mm posted:

What is the Founder's Edition pricing vs. the AIB pricing normally? Not counting the ULTIMATE EXTREME RGB OC WXYZ stuff.

In the past they've been $50-$100 more than the lowest priced AIBs, but even to or cheaper than the higher end AIBs. In that they didn't move the prices for the xx70 or xx80 vs last gen, take a look at what AIBs sold those cards for and you'll probably be pretty close to how this gen will shake out.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

witchard has a 3080 (benchmarks)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWD01yUQdVA

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 1, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

repiv posted:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-io-gpu-accelerated-storage-technology/

The RTX IO overview talks about moving compressed data over DirectStorage then decompressing locally on the GPU, but it's unclear if DirectStorage standardizes the compression part or if Nvidia is just using DirectStorage to deliver bits to a proprietary compression subsystem

Ahh ok — I think DirectStorage is the API layer to setup that "stream" / DMA path from storage to GPU, and then NV's using shaders / some fixed-function hardware / whatever on the GPU to implement the "lossless decompression" (so does it only support a few of the usual lossless codecs?) as dictated by the developers.

Should be equally applicable to RDNA2/AMD GPUs as it abstracts away the GPU and just gets the data from A to B.

e: I wonder if it supports SATA. Feels like they kind of have too, but maybe not. It's just another layer of performance hit as the endpoints involved in the DMA transfer are a SATA controller and the GPU, vs. a PCIe endpoint to PCIe endpoint.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's likely just down to drivers not being ready yet.

You must ONLY compare it to a 2080 and cannot give frametimes is kinda lovely.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
EVGA revealed: https://www.evga.com/articles/01434/evga-geforce-rtx-30-series/

That 3080 FT3 looks nice :getin:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Lockback posted:

You must ONLY compare it to a 2080 and cannot give frametimes is kinda lovely.

Do we go back and look at our excited posting in a few weeks when the cards turn out to kind of suck / are priced because RDNA2 is the poo poo?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

movax posted:

i like buying the best and still having blank panels

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
edit: doubel post?!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

If I’m getting a 3080, do I actually need to upgrade my PSU?

550w seasonic at 3 years old.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/kinglyuser/saved/#view=pW3RvK