Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

A few days into Armory and Machine 2, and it's a decent enough idle game. A lot more varied "gameplay" than most and no unavoidable ads.

Started playing this today, definitely scratches the "numbers go brrrrrr" itch better than some other ones I've played. Takes a bit to get it to go idle though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Apparently Danganronpa was ported to Android at some point and nobody told me. Even better, it's currently on sale for half price, anyone know if the port is actually any good before I drop £8 on it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.spike_chunsoft.DR1

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I'm pretty sure Google is on a quest to make the least discoverable storefront possible. Now they've removed the "on sale" list from the premium tab in the store. At some point the play store is just gonna be a button that says "give us $2 and we'll install something on your phone"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Otherworld Legends is a top down/side scrolling beat em up from Chillyroom, the Soul Knight devs. Has the same basic game structure as Soul Knight, but is more close combat focused with more of an emphasis on reaction time and dodging. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I'm pretty sure Google is on a quest to make the least discoverable storefront possible. Now they've removed the "on sale" list from the premium tab in the store. At some point the play store is just gonna be a button that says "give us $2 and we'll install something on your phone"

They did finally add filters so you can sort by new and rating which is nice if you are searching genres I guess. I use it to look for new roguelikes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So, just got this in my inbox.

What if Pokemon Go...but with killing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJONQYsru1c

Edit: You know in hindsight maybe not the best time for a game where you go outside and wander around, possibly in a social setting.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anybody here playing Soul of Eden? A friend of mine just brought this to my attention yesterday, checked it out for a bit last night and it's kind of a cool Clash of Clans type PvP lite-RTS.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Dead Cells is 50% off right now with a Fall update on the pipeline. I've been playing without a controller and with the Auto-attack option turned on it's extremely playable with one or two minor issues.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Dead Cells is 50% off right now with a Fall update on the pipeline. I've been playing without a controller and with the Auto-attack option turned on it's extremely playable with one or two minor issues.

How many boss cells do you have?

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

Only 1, my experience in PC is that anything more than 2 isn't fun for me and even now I tend to just pump surv and cheese parry if I'm trying to do a "serious" run.

I'm waiting on Bad Seed to go sicko mode (slated to release early next year for mobile) since I haven't played that at all yet.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Vhak lord of hate posted:

It's awesome, I just bought it a few days ago. The only problem with the auto attack is sometimes you get animation locked and killed because he won't stop attacking.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

Yeah, getting stunlocked because you keep hitting shield enemies from the front is one of the problems I was thinking about. Thankfully I've been getting good at just jumping over them instead of rolling.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I was gonna buy Dead Cells, but While true; learn () JUST released on the Play store, so I bought that. I have it on Switch and it's fantastic. Reminds me of a Zachtronics game, but maybe a bit more accessible.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 27, 2020

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
Not sure if it's been mentioned but I've been playing Retro Bowl a lot the past few days to get a football fix. It's got just enough team management to be interesting but not so much to be annoying. The actual games only take 8-10 minutes to play so you can get them in shortish bursts with minimal finger dexterity during the game. The difficulty adjusts to how you're playing. Pretty fun to play through an NFL season, build a team, get job offers, and manage salary caps and player morale. Also only 99c to do the full version unlock.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newstargames.retrobowl&hl=en_US

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was gonna buy Dead Cells, but While true; learn () JUST released on the Play store, so I bought that. I have it on Switch and it's fantastic. Reminds me of a Zachtronics game, but maybe a bit more accessible.

Is this game somewhat on the line of human resource machine except cats? If so, I'm totally down with this

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ObsidianBeast posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I've been playing Retro Bowl a lot the past few days to get a football fix. It's got just enough team management to be interesting but not so much to be annoying. The actual games only take 8-10 minutes to play so you can get them in shortish bursts with minimal finger dexterity during the game. The difficulty adjusts to how you're playing. Pretty fun to play through an NFL season, build a team, get job offers, and manage salary caps and player morale. Also only 99c to do the full version unlock.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newstargames.retrobowl&hl=en_US

Retro Bowl kicks rear end, until you get an unstoppable team and lose all reason to play the game other than "start over and do it again".

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I tried the Archer tie in game Danger Phone and man is it just the least amount of effort possible for an idle clicker. Even the microtransactions are boring and doesn't give you any of that cheap dopamine that buying poo poo in games is supposed to give.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is this game somewhat on the line of human resource machine except cats? If so, I'm totally down with this

Maybe sort of? You're a guy who's starting self employment as a developer, so each job you get pays a certain amount based on efficiency (early on, it's next to impossible not to get gold, the highest rating). With that money, you buy better equipment for your PC that lets you do stuff faster and more efficiently, so you might be able to redo older jobs better.

The actual gameplay is sorting data (at least for how far I've gotten). Your emailed job description might be "sort these medications based on <criteria>" , but those medications have basic coloured blocks and/or shapes as stand in. The controls are clicking and dragging (again, at least for what I've seen). The focus is on the logic and flow, and not where you're putting a semicolon.

It's also on Switch (and PC and... other consoles? I don't know).

I love it.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Maybe sort of? You're a guy who's starting self employment as a developer, so each job you get pays a certain amount based on efficiency (early on, it's next to impossible not to get gold, the highest rating). With that money, you buy better equipment for your PC that lets you do stuff faster and more efficiently, so you might be able to redo older jobs better.

The actual gameplay is sorting data (at least for how far I've gotten). Your emailed job description might be "sort these medications based on <criteria>" , but those medications have basic coloured blocks and/or shapes as stand in. The controls are clicking and dragging (again, at least for what I've seen). The focus is on the logic and flow, and not where you're putting a semicolon.

It's also on Switch (and PC and... other consoles? I don't know).

I love it.

Well I mean more of the programming side. As far as I've gotten so far it's just decision trees, so it seems like it's a much higher level programming view than human resources. Human resources was basically a game of writing assembly, although using prebuilt blocks instead of having to worry about stuff like semicolons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Well I mean more of the programming side. As far as I've gotten so far it's just decision trees, so it seems like it's a much higher level programming view than human resources. Human resources was basically a game of writing assembly, although using prebuilt blocks instead of having to worry about stuff like semicolons.

I think this game touts itself as helping with machine learning, but I could be mistaken about that. I'll look into it. It might be that that stuff comes up later?

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

explosivo posted:

Anybody here playing Soul of Eden? A friend of mine just brought this to my attention yesterday, checked it out for a bit last night and it's kind of a cool Clash of Clans type PvP lite-RTS.

Yeah I'm playing this casually. Seems neat so far and easy to get into and not too much of a time sink.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i just started playing soul of eden too, seems pretty good so far. is there a guild or anything? i havent really looked at th efriends settings stuff by my ingame name should be "willus" if anyone wants to add me

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
There's a goonsquad in eden, not sure if it's actually from here yet, but I applied as WharfRat78

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Where did merge games come from and how do we send them back?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
my daughter is bipolar and suffers from depression and merge games have been hugely helpful for her. I don't know what it is about them, but something about the gameplay loop relaxes her brain and keeps her grounded

Ryaath
Apr 8, 2003

Arms_Akimbo posted:

my daughter is bipolar and suffers from depression and merge games have been hugely helpful for her. I don't know what it is about them, but something about the gameplay loop relaxes her brain and keeps her grounded

Maybe this is why I can't stop playing Random Dice

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Merge games can keep existing then :unsmith:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I feel like I'm missing something. What are merge games?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

hooah posted:

It's almost like an idle game only they're way slower. You get two of item A to make B, and then you've gotta get two more A for a second B to make a C, repeat

I've downloaded a few because I admittedly enjoy them for an hour or so but then it just feels like progress hits a wall and I delete. There's one I tried last night with a Darkest Dungeon aesthetic

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I think they may have started with Triple Town, or at least started getting hyper popular around then.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I like them, but I just can't find one that I can stick with.

hooah posted:

Have you ever played Threes! or 2047?

Alucard posted:

I think they may have started with Triple Town, or at least started getting hyper popular around then.

This, too.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Kheldarn posted:

If you meant 2048, yes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kheldarn posted:

I like them, but I just can't find one that I can stick with.

Not quite the same, if I'm not mistaken they're talking about games you often see ads for, where you merge two of thing A to get thing B. Eventually when you get another thing B you can merge the two to get thing C. They're idle games, not puzzle games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

Not quite the same, if I'm not mistaken they're talking about games you often see ads for, where you merge two of thing A to get thing B. Eventually when you get another thing B you can merge the two to get thing C. They're idle games, not puzzle games.

They're slower than idle games too

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Yeah there's no puzzle to it, it's a big open field and you just drag and drop objects. Typically 3 make a thing, then 3 of that thing make another thing, etc. until you finish the map. You have a home base, where you decorate or place unique drops or breed dragons or whatever the meta of that title is

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Rejoice everybody, there's a new fresco in hungry cat today

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I've been getting a bunch of ads recently for those "earn gift cards while playing games" apps and it makes me wonder how they work. Are they like the old website things where you'd browse through an iframe that shows you ads and "earn points" at an abysmally slow rate to eventually cash in for $5 in "cash"? That's basically what I figured, but I'm not about to install one to find out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Yeah there's no puzzle to it, it's a big open field and you just drag and drop objects. Typically 3 make a thing, then 3 of that thing make another thing, etc. until you finish the map. You have a home base, where you decorate or place unique drops or breed dragons or whatever the meta of that title is

Yeah the ones I'm talking about are specifically this style, but you unironically justified the genres existence. If someone is able to find their zen merging dragons or whatever that's all the reason they need

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Nighthand posted:

I've been getting a bunch of ads recently for those "earn gift cards while playing games" apps and it makes me wonder how they work. Are they like the old website things where you'd browse through an iframe that shows you ads and "earn points" at an abysmally slow rate to eventually cash in for $5 in "cash"? That's basically what I figured, but I'm not about to install one to find out.

It most likely requires your mobile number and you will get buried in sms spam and robocalls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'd assume they mine crypto while you play.