Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1300852550191722501

Man, I wish I'd heard better things about the Avengers game.
The problem was they dropped you into the first, like, 10 hours of the game with poo poo-for-levels characters so it feels like forever until you can do cool poo poo.

I think Kate is exactly what the game needs because the demo was 3 brawlers and one projectiledude so it was kind of samey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Impressions online are really liking the story mode as a superhero brawler.

Yeah, if you just want a superhero brawler it seems fine. I have no idea how it'll do as a multiplayer GAMES AS SERVICE thing but it's a solid enough Avengers game.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, if you just want a superhero brawler it seems fine. I have no idea how it'll do as a multiplayer GAMES AS SERVICE thing but it's a solid enough Avengers game.

I feel like games like Destiny that actually have insanely well refined gameplay can pull off something where you want to dump in 1000 hours to deal with all the bullshit hoops a service game makes you jump through.

I don't think Avengers is that type of game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also I just realized the dual meaning of "Marvel's Avengers" and I am now 99% convinced Ms. Marvel was chosen as the protagonist entirely so they could do that joke.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I feel like games like Destiny that actually have insanely well refined gameplay can pull off something where you want to dump in 1000 hours to deal with all the bullshit hoops a service game makes you jump through.

I don't think Avengers is that type of game.

Probably not but we'll see. It really depends on the post-release support, but at very least it feels like you're getting a solid enough Avengers game out of the deal even if you don't play 9000 hours of Iron Man Punches Robots In The Dick.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Not to mention the story content is ongoing so you'll have plenty of singleplayer stuff to do in the future even if you don't want to do War Zones over and over again.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I haven't touched the multiplayer because I've been enjoying the single player. So if the characters get their own little story missions, I'm good with that. Glad that Kate is the first one too.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Kate's and Hawkeye's, at least, are following up on one of the side-stories from the Campaign with them both looking into what happened to NIck Fury and where he's vanished to..

Black Panther was supposed to have a Wakanda based raid along with his operation, which has now been delayed, so I imagine his stuff will tie into the broader AIM shenanigans as well.

And there's other stuff they'll need to follow up on too.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

What are some folk's fondest memories of older forgotten superhero games?

I'm actually having a lot of fun playing the Spider-Man: The Movie GBA game. It actually has some decent movie footage and is a neat side scrolling beat-em-up. It really is a solid game and a decent web-swinging feature. The days of movie tie-in games aren't all good but I'm really liking this.

I'm going through a lot of the GB/GBC/GBA comic book games to see if they're worth it.

My few seconds of playing GBA Ultimate Alliance (which I completely forgot even existed, I thought the only portables was the DS and PSP)....the game is just not a good fit for the GBA. The music is muddled behind sound effects. The character movements don't feel natural. There is just too much going on here and I don't think the system handles it well.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 2, 2020

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I remember the original Spider-Man movie tie-in game had a lot of cheat codes and unlocks. You could cheese some of them by unlocking the level select, and picking the credits sequence on the hardest difficulty so it would count you beating the game like that.

From there, you could play through the game as the Green Goblin with different controls, and the story is rewritten through dialogue so that you're Harry dealing with some impostor Goblin. It's kinda funny how much effort they put into something so few people probably ever saw. Playing as him also let you cheese the hell out of the time trials and survival portions since you were much faster and could also just fly and spam little drones.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Playing as Green Goblin was probably the best part of that game. Just missiles and bombs everywhere.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I remember the original Spider-Man movie tie-in game had a lot of cheat codes and unlocks. You could cheese some of them by unlocking the level select, and picking the credits sequence on the hardest difficulty so it would count you beating the game like that.

From there, you could play through the game as the Green Goblin with different controls, and the story is rewritten through dialogue so that you're Harry dealing with some impostor Goblin. It's kinda funny how much effort they put into something so few people probably ever saw. Playing as him also let you cheese the hell out of the time trials and survival portions since you were much faster and could also just fly and spam little drones.

Playing as the Goblin ruled. I feel like some missions were awkward as him though because obviously the game wasn't built for him.

ImpAtom posted:

Also I just realized the dual meaning of "Marvel's Avengers" and I am now 99% convinced Ms. Marvel was chosen as the protagonist entirely so they could do that joke.

Spider-Man was also called Marvel's Spider-Man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Spider-Man was also called Marvel's Spider-Man.

Oh, I know. It is just in this case "Marvel's Avengers" works two ways since Ms. Marvel is the protagonist.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

And they're her Avengers, even. In both senses of the phrase.

After the Campaign, Mjolnir is sitting in Thor's room and you can try and lift it with everyone. Nice touch.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 2, 2020

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dan Didio posted:

After the Campaign, Mjolnir is sitting in Thor's room and you can try and lift it with everyone. Nice touch.

Aw, that's cute.

Can Captain America lift it? 🤔

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Aw, that's cute.

Can Captain America lift it? 🤔

They 'Age of Ultron' it, it won't budge for anyone else, but Cap rocks it to the side a bit.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
As a younger lad, I was a huge fan of the Gamecube Ultimate Spider-Man game. The story was fun to play, it had great humor, and just swinging around the city was fun. Venom was pretty much just The Hulk, but he was still cool to play as.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

SonicRulez posted:

As a younger lad, I was a huge fan of the Gamecube Ultimate Spider-Man game. The story was fun to play, it had great humor, and just swinging around the city was fun. Venom was pretty much just The Hulk, but he was still cool to play as.

Venom was so much fun to play as in USM. He actually had a more varied moveset than Spider-Man himself. If he ends up being a playable character in Marvel's Spider-Man 2 I hope they do him justice.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Venom's one of those characters who you don't think of as having a fighting style except when he's in videogames. He's so much more interesting in videogames than he is in comics because he didn't tend to do much of interest in the comics with the symbiote. Carnage did.

Same with symbiote Spider-Man. The symbiote moveset you have in Spider-Man: Web of Shadows was created out of whole cloth for the game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Maximum Carnage was just a side-scrolling brawler but a lot of fun that I may give too much credit because I finished it entirely with a buddy hopped up on, I dunno, Cherry Coke or something. Somebody kind of notable did the soundtrack too, which I liked?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I did enjoy the combo sets in web of shadows, switching between regular and symbiote Spidey in between moves for swift attacks and mass damage

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

site posted:

I did enjoy the combo sets in web of shadows, switching between regular and symbiote Spidey in between moves for swift attacks and mass damage

Web of Shadows had my favorite combat of all the SM games. The new PS4 one is pretty fun but it just doesn't have the flow that WOS did when you knew the combos.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I really liked Shattered Dimensions. I think I'm the only one but I just really loved it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Dawgstar posted:

Maximum Carnage was just a side-scrolling brawler but a lot of fun that I may give too much credit because I finished it entirely with a buddy hopped up on, I dunno, Cherry Coke or something. Somebody kind of notable did the soundtrack too, which I liked?

Green Jelly (Jello) did the soundtrack during their "Little Pigs" heyday.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

RevKrule posted:

Green Jelly (Jello) did the soundtrack during their "Little Pigs" heyday.

I still don't know exactly how that collaboration happened, but I'm thankful for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbUj5TIU4WA

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Medullah posted:

Web of Shadows had my favorite combat of all the SM games. The new PS4 one is pretty fun but it just doesn't have the flow that WOS did when you knew the combos.

Web of Shadows' combat is so good that it has spoiled me on other great Spider-Man games. I've been playing USM and enjoying that, but the web-strike system seems like such a core part of his moveset. I remember Shattered Dimensions tried something similar, but I really think I just want a remastered WoS at this point.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its been a while but didn't Web of Shadows have really bad voice acting?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Its been a while but didn't Web of Shadows have really bad voice acting?

Yeah most of Web of Shadows was bad aside from the combat. Was kind of cool being able to make "Dark side" choices though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Web of Shadows kinda ruled, but I had it for the Wii and that was not always a fun experience. I would like to play it again on a proper controller. Some of those QTEs with Wii controls were enough to make me scream. But hey, I liked it enough to play both sides of the coin.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

Web of Shadows kinda ruled, but I had it for the Wii and that was not always a fun experience. I would like to play it again on a proper controller. Some of those QTEs with Wii controls were enough to make me scream. But hey, I liked it enough to play both sides of the coin.

Even though I criticize a lot of it, I think it's actually the only one I replayed multiple times. I enjoyed the combat that much.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The high points for Web of Shadows combat are the invention of Web Strike, combat mechanics for fighting on vertical surfaces, having both block and evade, and obviously two different fighting styles. I still don't like and will probably never like long and predefined combo strings, though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I was deathly ill and confined to my home when that game came out and I played an amount of it that would probably be considered criminal in most countries nowadays and I still think I could probably pick it up and enjoy zipping around and punching people.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

An interesting article about that first-person Avengers tie-in game where you fought Skrulls that footage of leaked out a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVDdLz95w-0

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Cool article, thanks for sharing.

Left 4 Dead but with the Avengers? Sign me the gently caress up - what a shame this was ultimately cancelled due to corporate politics and dysfunction, looked pretty good imo.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It was a real cool idea, for a long time it was just super scant rumours about it involving Skrulls (it was a big part of why rumors swirled about Skrulls being the bad uys in the first film) and then the footage came out and was first person with parkour and stuff and kind of blew everyone away.

I remember it was around, well, it was around a big moment in my life and I had a bunch of in-depth discussions with people involved in the Australian video game industry at the time and the place was a very, very ugly bloodbath off the back of this.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

sticksy posted:

Cool article, thanks for sharing.

Left 4 Dead but with the Avengers? Sign me the gently caress up - what a shame this was ultimately cancelled due to corporate politics and dysfunction, looked pretty good imo.

cool concept but i despise first person games because the overwhelming majority trigger my motion sickness, so I'm not as torn up as I could be.

Plus, I'm actually enjoying the cash grab game. Cap is really loving fun and now I'm wondering if I should main him or Nat.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I do love how it was before the Chris Evans film and the game developers were like "Captain America? lol no thanks."

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Soonmot posted:

cool concept but i despise first person games because the overwhelming majority trigger my motion sickness, so I'm not as torn up as I could be.

Plus, I'm actually enjoying the cash grab game. Cap is really loving fun and now I'm wondering if I should main him or Nat.

Cap is super fun, I think he might be the best character in the fame, even if on paparr, Nat and Thor are capable of doing more damage.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lobok posted:

I do love how it was before the Chris Evans film and the game developers were like "Captain America? lol no thanks."
Traditional Cap with the scale armor and bright blue colors and winged helmet was a tough sell. The Avengers suit is such an enormous step down from the WW2 suit that I almost preferred him in the dumb USO Tour getup.

Civil War capsuit is all kinds of good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Cap is super fun, I think he might be the best character in the fame, even if on paparr, Nat and Thor are capable of doing more damage.

Yeah, Cap is my honest go to for the most fun to play. Nat is pretty good but she's so glass cannon that I just can't really enjoy her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FilthyImp posted:

Traditional Cap with the scale armor and bright blue colors and winged helmet was a tough sell. The Avengers suit is such an enormous step down from the WW2 suit that I almost preferred him in the dumb USO Tour getup.

Civil War capsuit is all kinds of good.

I think the traditional Cap outfit could work in a video game as long as the weren't going for photo realism. And even if they were looking for photo realism, there's gotta be something close to traditional outfit that looks better than that Joss Whedon poo poo.