Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

StormDrain posted:

I really wanted one of those when I was looking for a project car. I feel like I had seen a few maybe, and now I see none.

Check the craigslist thread. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tongboy
May 1, 2003
paid like a dork
Grimey Drawer

:stare:

It even started wearing the lower strut. I can only imagine what the brakes and caliper looked like.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

PainterofCrap posted:

The Econoline rampsides were rare even then; I looked for one all through the 80s, but the only ones I found were rusted hulks in salvage yards. They were commercial vehicles, used up & tossed.

That’s unsurprising if you were looking for a Ford Corvair Rampside.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Colostomy Bag posted:

Check the craigslist thread. :v:

It took me like three tries at search terms to find that one and it was the only within 1500 miles of me.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

I want to drive this solely for the experience.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I think it be fine until you hit a bump then Jesus take the wheel as that tire goes all over. Turning would definitely be an experience though.

The noise alone must be insane, let alone the noise from the bearing which has to be shot.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Yeah but how did it get so ablated? They must have been driving on it for quite a while, and the wheel's still on. Prolly could get another 100 miles out of it with some zipties.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The level of "I'm not listening" that some people have on the roads is insane

I remember many many moons ago I went out to a customer and his courier van, where he had been turning up the radio to drown out the death rattle from his engine that got louder and louder. In the end, running it along the highway at 130km/h with no appreciable amount of oil in his Mazda E2000 van caused it to blow a hole in the side of the block you could put your fist in. The guy asked me, "so can you get me going again?".

Me? No.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/fmsFsZ2.mp4

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

That appears to be 2 different loads (the drive by and the crash), but holy poo poo I hope that guy's insurance was paid up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Iridium posted:

the note on it was "They only came in for a starter"

And they probably left with it like that

I have no time for people that refuse to acknowledge serious safety issues with their cars.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

if that's amazes you, the interior is next loving level:

I am horrified that I think I can tell there's a Monte Carlo under that somewhere

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wallaka posted:

That’s unsurprising if you were looking for a Ford Corvair Rampside.

Ugh.

I went to bed after posting this. I think we all know why.

I was looking for a Corvair rampside. I actually had the Econoline.

...nope. Post is still idiotic.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

Ugh.

I went to bed after posting this. I think we all know why.

I was looking for a Corvair rampside. I actually had the Econoline.

...nope. Post is still idiotic.

You were driving one of those in the 80s, we have to assume you've lost something along the way. It's fine.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

What the gently caress is that axle made out of to be able to eat through that much of the knuckle without breaking down?!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Astonishing Wang posted:

What the gently caress is that axle made out of to be able to eat through that much of the knuckle without breaking down?!

Is the knuckle aluminum?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah it's pretty amazing the cv joint didn't separate long ago sending the wheel on it's own journey.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Must be Moog :smug:

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

I believe they’re usually made of chromoly like a 4140 or tool steel like 1090. My brain is melting on how it got so far unnoticed. I love stuff like this.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Astonishing Wang posted:

The knuckle looks like aluminum, and I'm assuming that the bearing seized, so it could be the bearing race eating through the knuckle (hard to tell since the axle is covered in wiped aluminum) , either way the axle and bearings are both made from extremely hard steel, that will effectively turn aluminum into an ablative bearing material.

E: knuckle could be a soft steel casting too, but that'd be more likely to just seize the axle.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's just a few thousand thou of play, I don't see what the problem is

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

That appears to be 2 different loads (the drive by and the crash), but holy poo poo I hope that guy's insurance was paid up.

Oh poo poo it is different...still the sideways one had some equally expensive cars, ugh, walking back into the office would be brutal after that, might as well just go home and never answer your phone again.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

BitBasher posted:

Driving around Vegas...

Oh hay, that guy lives in my neighborhood! I see him at Tacos Tijuana sometimes. His vantruck is a cool vantruck.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh hay, that guy lives in my neighborhood! I see him at Tacos Tijuana sometimes. His vantruck is a cool vantruck.

2 Vegas goons unite in the thread, what are the odds?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Memento posted:

The level of "I'm not listening" that some people have on the roads is insane

I remember many many moons ago I went out to a customer and his courier van, where he had been turning up the radio to drown out the death rattle from his engine that got louder and louder. In the end, running it along the highway at 130km/h with no appreciable amount of oil in his Mazda E2000 van caused it to blow a hole in the side of the block you could put your fist in. The guy asked me, "so can you get me going again?".

Me? No.

While sitting at a light, I watched a dude sitting at the cross-street turn lane blow his engine, and then just keep revving the tits off of it until it caught on fire. I saw the fire first, then, since no one else seemed to be interested, I shifted over and made the right turn to pull up beside him across the divider, and let him know he was on fire. When I rolled down my window was when I finally heard the engine, now shy a cylinder or two, revving to the moon.
Sadly, the SD card in my dashcam was corrupted and I got no video. RIP that '90s Buick.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Yeah, there's no Mustang on the first one - that's the glaring standout. And same on the insurance. That's going to be a bit of a hit, to say the least.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

And they probably left with it like that

I have no time for people that refuse to acknowledge serious safety issues with their cars.

And when it inevitably fails, it will be because "that car was a piece of poo poo." No, *you* are. Entropy increases, everything needs maintenance.

Professor of Cats posted:

I believe they’re usually made of chromoly like a 4140 or tool steel like 1090. My brain is melting on how it got so far unnoticed. I love stuff like this.

It wasn't unnoticed, it was ignored. People have an amazing capacity for that.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Darchangel posted:

And when it inevitably fails, it will be because "that car was a piece of poo poo." No, *you* are. Entropy increases, everything needs maintenance.

Blaming the car is easier than taking an introspective look into their own failings.

Are car carriers just inherently unstable or something? Every time I see one on the road at interstate speeds, seems the driver's just a baby hair away from losing total control of those rigs. Saw a couple of truckers nearly eat guardrail recently.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's an Astro so it's already an S10 underneath.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

For everyone wondering how this drove, I have at least a vague idea. When I was a mechanic, we had one come in similar to this, but it was only about half an inch of vertical play and it was the rear.
The car actually came in because the ABS light was on, not because there wasn't a wheelbearing anymore.

On the 5mph drive from the parking area, through a dirt lot, to the back of the shop I realized something was VERY wrong with the car.
Taking corners at 5mph on dirt felt like the car was going to lose control, it also sounded like the end of the loving world. I have NFI how she drove it there (or long enough to do that damage).

Of course the ABS light was on because the tone ring hit the sensor and broke it.
Customer was pretty upset that in order to extinguish the ABS light I had to replace the knuckle, axle, brakes, etc...

So, although I've never driven one that bad in the front, I have at least an inkling of what it would be like to drive, it's HORRIFYING.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

90s Solo Cup posted:

Blaming the car is easier than taking an introspective look into their own failings.

Tangential but this line made me think of every time I've ever heard "I was just driving along minding my own business, when OUT OF NOWHERE this other car appeared and X happened"

Like .... are you literally suggesting that the other car teleported out of another dimension, just to gently caress with you? No, THAT car was driving along minding its own business, YOU weren't paying attention to it! This story does not exonerate you anywhere near as much as you think it does or make you sound like a competent driver AAAAHH

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/4Qik2yM.mp4

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

Yeah but how did it get so ablated? They must have been driving on it for quite a while, and the wheel's still on. Prolly could get another 100 miles out of it with some zipties.

Horrible Mechanical Failures: Prolly could get another 100 miles out of it with some zipties

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Honestly I consider the fact it's moving under its own power a huge mechanical success

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

Honestly I consider the fact it's moving under its own power a huge mechanical success

Had an engineer friend in college who I was complaining about car reliability issues to, and he said "if you only realized how much of a miracle that cars run at all is, and in many cases for years without much maintenance while living outside, you probably wouldn't say that." He went on to work for apple so not sure I trust his opinion.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MrLogan posted:

Horrible Mechanical Failures: Prolly could get another 100 miles out of it with some zipties

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

MrLogan posted:

Do it mod!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

shame on an IGA posted:

I am horrified that I think I can tell there's a Monte Carlo under that somewhere

Its a Geo Metro XFi. It lives somewhere around me, I've seen it before a few times, and a chopped roof 2 door XJ that has a similar build....quality?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dr.Smasher posted:

It's an Astro so it's already an S10 underneath.

No, it's not.
The suspension and brakes are more related to a full-size Silverado of the era, but it's unibody. Source: owned one.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Had an engineer friend in college who I was complaining about car reliability issues to, and he said "if you only realized how much of a miracle that cars run at all is, and in many cases for years without much maintenance while living outside, you probably wouldn't say that." He went on to work for apple so not sure I trust his opinion.

He's.. not wrong. I stop and think about that myself from time to time.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Apparently that is Beirut and that car is driving the day of(?) or the day after the explosion. Impressive it can even move either way

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Darchangel posted:

No, it's not.
The suspension and brakes are more related to a full-size Silverado of the era, but it's unibody. Source: owned one.

He's.. not wrong. I stop and think about that myself from time to time.

More like G-body front suspension, really. The rotors interchanged, at least. But that’s pretty much a truck suspension anyway.