Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Living in smaller towns or rural areas sucks for food and entertainment etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

The CEO insisted on moving us last winter, into a space that was undergoing renovation. There is basically no upside other than he can piss away a ton of money on a worthless and ugly redesign. It has a been a clusterfuck, and the renovation is still going. The place is a disaster zone, concrete and drywall dust coating everything (including my servers.)

It would be funny if he winds up shitcanning the whole plan to go with some sort of WFH arrangement.

Pinterest paid $89 million to get out of a long lease for a new buildout that was presumably already underway. Instead of moving everyone under one roof, they'll keep their 4 offices and have a lot of people remote. So it's not like your CEO would be the first.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Dreamer posted:

Pretty much every piece of software from our core system vendor. 10-15 at least I'd say. I think we've got a new one coming on for another vendor soon that will only allow SSO if its running IE. :argh:

Fiserv?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

luminalflux posted:

Pinterest paid $89 million to get out of a long lease for a new buildout that was presumably already underway. Instead of moving everyone under one roof, they'll keep their 4 offices and have a lot of people remote. So it's not like your CEO would be the first.

The CEO forced the company to move on short notice from a good location with favorable lease terms to spend over $1M for a vanity project on a building we don't own and now might abandon. That is not smart.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Anybody worked with ObjectifLune? We're looking at buying it, functionality seems pretty solid. Any pitfalls?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Living in smaller towns or rural areas sucks for food and entertainment etc

Not a lot of food and entertainment going on during pandemic times in the US.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Explorer posted:

Sucks to only have one takeout place and a mcdonalds, though

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Internet Explorer posted:

Deal with it for a couple more months?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

I have some bad news for you.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

I am definitely shooting whatever comes out of the CDC two days before Trump needs everyone to vote for his re-election directly into my veins.

I'm sure it'll be perfectly safe and effective.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Ahahahaha. More like 1-2 years before this poo poo is over.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
don't ever live in a city >100k people

lol

:(

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

:shrek: We’re moving away from Fiserv and I could not be happier. The installer for one of the cores is nightmarishly bad.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Darchangel posted:

OK, look, I get that banks or whatever are change-averse, but what about risk averse? What are they going to do when they get thoroughly pwned because they're using unpatched, unsupported OSes? How much does *that* cost, versus pulling up your big girl pants and paying for the upgrade. Mind you, smdh for the software vendors bending the companies over for just upgrading to a version that works on current/modern operating systems, too.]

At this point I think we’d have to switch banking cores. Unless they decide to update their software to use anything other than ie. A ton of their stuff runs using Active X controls so I don’t really see that happening before IE is sunset next year.

It would be a pain in the rear end but totally worth it if we weren’t locked into a multi year contract for the software at this time.

At least we can use Edge with IE mode for a bunch of stuff for now.

Yep.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Dreamer posted:

At this point I think we’d have to switch banking cores. Unless they decide to update their software to use anything other than ie. A ton of their stuff runs using Active X controls so I don’t really see that happening before IE is sunset next year.

It would be a pain in the rear end but totally worth it if we weren’t locked into a multi year contract for the software at this time.

At least we can use Edge with IE mode for a bunch of stuff for now.
I've talked to people who were here when we converted, and "pain in the rear end" doesn't even begin to describe it. The number of interconnected third-party systems that would need to be changed over alone would be loving monumental. And we're not even that big.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Boss got word down from on high that we need to reduce overtime (it's actually just comp time at 1:1).
We all just shook our heads because as great as going home on time sounds it's going to be HILARIOUSLY detrimental to all the urgent poo poo that got dumped on us.
Can't wait to see how this actually turns out because it sounds like they want us to do all the stuff, just faster.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Thanatosian posted:

I've talked to people who were here when we converted, and "pain in the rear end" doesn't even begin to describe it. The number of interconnected third-party systems that would need to be changed over alone would be loving monumental. And we're not even that big.

Oh yeah; it’d be a shitshow. I think it’ll have to happen sooner or later though. Unless Fiserv modernizes some stuff, our core is going to hold us back as we go further into more modern banking solutions.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

The Dreamer posted:

Oh yeah; it’d be a shitshow. I think it’ll have to happen sooner or later though. Unless Fiserv modernizes some stuff, our core is going to hold us back as we go further into more modern banking solutions.

We're switching everything I think. No more IE, no more weird installers you can only run off the hosting server, it'll be nice. Granted, I may not see it if I decide to get off my rear end and get some cloud certs so I can do something other than helpdesk.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Thanatosian posted:

Sheeeeit, banking core switches? Last time the bank I work for tried that, the project went FUBAR...they imported Indian programmers to coordinate with our dev. dept...that does not speak English...nor do they understand HEAVILY accented English. They spent about 2 to 3 million dollars and had to shitcan it as the things we wanted to do ended up requiring a major rewrite. About 40% of everybody involved got the boot.

Most banks won't be able to find a ready made banking core (even COBIS) that suits EXACTLY what they want it to do. So you are looking at a rewrite. Dev. Debug, Testing, Certification and Certification from banking authorities to ensure you comply with SOX laws. Be prepared to spend $Texas.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Switching cores is the largest undertaking possible for a bank, followed by switching online banking. It's wild how much work goes into either.

Thanatosian posted:

"pain in the rear end" doesn't even begin to describe it

We've got an entire team of people who work on projects like this (we're a vendor, so we're helping the bank folks navigate some of this stuff), and usually the banks are switching from one 3rd party to another. Imagine hopping between Fiserv, FIS, and JHA every few decades when all the people who have known the pain of the last conversion have left. :allears:

I'm so loving glad I'm not on that team.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nullfunction posted:

Switching cores is the largest undertaking possible for a bank, followed by switching online banking. It's wild how much work goes into either.
We just did the latter. God, I hope it's the second-worst. We haven't done a merger since I've started, either. Knock on wood.

quote:

We've got an entire team of people who work on projects like this (we're a vendor, so we're helping the bank folks navigate some of this stuff), and usually the banks are switching from one 3rd party to another. Imagine hopping between Fiserv, FIS, and JHA every few decades when all the people who have known the pain of the last conversion have left. :allears:

I'm so loving glad I'm not on that team.
My impression is they're all bad in different ways. When we re-signed our contract with Fiserv, we added a bunch of services to it thinking it'd be nice to have everything under one umbrella; I've done at least three implementations in the last year that have felt like beta software. One of them was supposed to be a three-to-six-month implementation, we just passed the 18-month mark, I think.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

luminalflux posted:

The last few years we've spent a poo poo ton of money on remodeling existing spaces into open work environments. On top of that we've also put up two whole new buildings designed as open work spaces and broken into neighborhoods. That's maybe 1400 workstations worth in a 7 and an 8 floor building, supporting thousands of employees.

The 8 story building opened in January. It's closed until probably June. On the plus side, what we used to spend on catering will easily cover the empty buildings. I used to get 3-5 meals a week out of meetings and meeting leftovers.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
If we had a poo poo that does not piss me off thread, I'd post, but here we are:

My tech guy gets a call from control room saying we have lost all movement of all CCTV cameras.
He put the phone down and said "I was wiring up those cameras and they have all lost motion, I must have done something"

me "ha ha have fun" - (it's happened before, it's just a loose connection so I know it's an easy fix and he knows what he is doing so it's cool.)
tech "where will you be this afternoon"
me " in office, or at job A or job B around these times"
tech "I dont want to be on my own if it's fubar"
me "you know it'll just be a loose connector, you'll be fine, don't worry, you are the man for the job"

It is definitely time to celebrate the fact he held his hand up straight away... He also should be proud that even though he was worried about it (as no camera motion is obviously a big consequence) he needn't panic as I'm confident he will be fine. he knows the fault is a simple resolution and can fix it promptly so even though these tickets seem big and scary he is well equipped to deal with them.

I know I said have fun when I could have said "do you need help" which I am sure does not do anything to make me look like less of a dick but I think I can highlight the point above that he is totally capable of resolving these things, it might be that first step towards reducing the fear factor when those big tickets appear which will help him loads in going about his business.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone using BlackBerry UEM?

Am I correct that you can't manage a Chromebook/Chrome Tablet, just Android devices?

I downloaded the UEM Client on an ASUS tablet running ChromeOS, and I'm getting an invalid activation type.

You have to manage these from Google's admin panel, right?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bob Morales posted:

Am I correct that you can't manage a Chromebook/Chrome Tablet, just Android devices?

I downloaded the UEM Client on an ASUS tablet running ChromeOS, and I'm getting an invalid activation type.

Yeah buddy, I sure am enjoying this year 2007! I'm hopeful that we can get a new president next year though, this Bush fella seems like the worst president this country has ever had and hopefully the country will learn its lesson and we'll never have anyone as bad ever again!

Anyway sorry I can't help you with your issue, we're thinking of transitioning to this "ActiveSunk" or something? Some Microsoft thing, not quite sure what it is but hopefully it's better than Blackberry's stuff. OK have a nice day!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Agrikk posted:

An interesting thing is the secondary impact corona will have on the urban housing market.

Now that proximity to a (non-existent) office building is no longer a factor, will people still pay a premium on housing in close proximity to a workplace?

Will we see an evening out of prices as folks flee city centers for more rural and dispersed places? Suddenly ISPs will feel the pressure to offer broadband to strange and remote places previously unconsidered.

I loving well hope so. If nothing else, I want to retire to somewhere I have space for my junk projects (I like broken cars, machine tools, and building stuff) and have no close neighbors. The stopping point of most places where space crosses with affordability is lack of decent internet.

Lord know the government has pissed away enough incentives trying to get telecoms to build out rural infrastructure to little or no effect.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Yeah buddy, I sure am enjoying this year 2007! I'm hopeful that we can get a new president next year though, this Bush fella seems like the worst president this country has ever had and hopefully the country will learn its lesson and we'll never have anyone as bad ever again!

Anyway sorry I can't help you with your issue, we're thinking of transitioning to this "ActiveSunk" or something? Some Microsoft thing, not quite sure what it is but hopefully it's better than Blackberry's stuff. OK have a nice day!

This is a terrible, unfunny, and useless post, they asked a perfectly legit and reasonable question. Don't be an rear end in a top hat. Do better.

Bob Morales posted:

New UEM versions supports Chrome OS along with Windows 10 and Mac OS. What version are you on? I'm guessing you just need an update.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Darchangel posted:

I loving well hope so. If nothing else, I want to retire to somewhere I have space for my junk projects (I like broken cars, machine tools, and building stuff) and have no close neighbors. The stopping point of most places where space crosses with affordability is lack of decent internet.

Lord know the government has pissed away enough incentives trying to get telecoms to build out rural infrastructure to little or no effect.

It's happening ! Sonic is doing drat well in rural Northern California. Mom's on crappy copper run waaaaaay too far from the pole and she gets 15/2. That's not ideal for downloading AAA titles on Steam, but Netflix works a treat at that speed.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
Adding to the "poo poo that does NOT piss me off" post, my department is getting serious about properly managing the huge proliferation of scripts on our network. We're going to start looking at version control, collaboration tools, and formal release procedures.

Today everyone got together and installed VS Code, we set up our first Git repos, and the limited knowledge we have all got shared on utilizing these tools.

There's still a LOT to learn, we're all complete newbies (except for one former MS guy), but I'm honest-to-god excited to start using these tools, and solve more problems with properly-developed scripts and code.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

capitalcomma posted:

Adding to the "poo poo that does NOT piss me off" post, my department is getting serious about properly managing the huge proliferation of scripts on our network. We're going to start looking at version control, collaboration tools, and formal release procedures.

Today everyone got together and installed VS Code, we set up our first Git repos, and the limited knowledge we have all got shared on utilizing these tools.

There's still a LOT to learn, we're all complete newbies (except for one former MS guy), but I'm honest-to-god excited to start using these tools, and solve more problems with properly-developed scripts and code.

Azure devops with some repos. If you just hate to use anything MS related, gitlab.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

Azure devops with some repos. If you just hate to use anything MS related, gitlab.

I am a huge fan and advocate for Azure Devops.

It's free for 5 people, and I've been using release pipelines as a task running tool for a couple years now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is a terrible, unfunny, and useless post, they asked a perfectly legit and reasonable question. Don't be an rear end in a top hat. Do better.

New UEM versions supports Chrome OS along with Windows 10 and Mac OS. What version are you on? I'm guessing you just need an update.

12.1x? Maybe

Does it show up in the dashboard as something other than android? I see BB, iOS, Android

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

12.1x? Maybe

Does it show up in the dashboard as something other than android? I see BB, iOS, Android

It does show up as something different. Are you activating devices as managed mode or something like that? It's been a couple years for me and I'm trying to remember.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I thought this was kind of funny tbh

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

It does show up as something different. Are you activating devices as managed mode or something like that? It's been a couple years for me and I'm trying to remember.

I add the user
Send the email
Open uem client on the tablet
Scan the QR code or enter the password
Then I get the activation type invalid error

I had this with Android devices and I didn’t have some option set that didn’t get along with 10.0 or whatever the latest version is

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

mllaneza posted:

It's happening ! Sonic is doing drat well in rural Northern California. Mom's on crappy copper run waaaaaay too far from the pole and she gets 15/2. That's not ideal for downloading AAA titles on Steam, but Netflix works a treat at that speed.

I just saw a blurb that Starlink is getting 100MB right now. Not yet up to the gigabit it should have ultimately, but useful! I’d forgotten about Starlink.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Darchangel posted:

I just saw a blurb that Starlink is getting 100MB right now. Not yet up to the gigabit it should have ultimately, but useful! I’d forgotten about Starlink.

Starlink is another vanity project. Like those stupid google balloons.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I add the user
Send the email
Open uem client on the tablet
Scan the QR code or enter the password
Then I get the activation type invalid error

I had this with Android devices and I didn’t have some option set that didn’t get along with 10.0 or whatever the latest version is

Do you have an activation profile configured to support other OSes?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sickening posted:

Gitlab is nice, I set up a box that a few of us are using to swap scripts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Gitlab is nice, I set up a box that a few of us are using to swap scripts.

Its probably my preference if you have no azure/azure ad footprint already. Devs usually have some random preferences though and going with what the collective likes is not that big of an issues as long as you can apply sso.