Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Rabelais D posted:

It's cool if you're into nostalgia but I'd just rather developers spend time developing new things. From the look of this thread, some people really love buying old games again, and this issue is particularly prevalent on Switch.

If it helps, this kind of thing is often done in conjunction with dedicated porting or remake teams, and/or by junior developers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgmNQ5zPuSQ

https://twitter.com/Inferbro/status/1301580920055574531

Holy poo poo, I really feel sorry for this person.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
To be fair, the aren't entirely the same. In his version I'm pretty sure it was just a straight up race. Everyone played on the same screen and you try to get to the end. In Nintendo's version, you play in your own level and you can kill enemies to send them to other people. It's more different than Fortnite was to PUBG.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
edit: never mind just watched a video of SMB 35 for the first time.

I thought it was going to be like the multiplayer on SMB Deluxe for gameboy color but 35 people at once on the same map. lol at how ridiculous that would have been.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 4, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That is actually a really cool way to do it.

Also I'm 100% spending $50 on that game and watch.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cartoon Man posted:

Somebody mentioned they were going to play all the DS castlevanias again and I said I would do that too. I’ve always bought the DS family of systems from the mega chonky double thicc original up to the last one I bought, the New 3DS XL. I dug my collection out of the closet, I haven’t touched these games in like 5-10 years and probably a lot longer for some of them. Here’s the collection!

Man, so many good loving games, I don’t know where to begin. I started going digital towards the end and also have Majoras Mask, Xenoblade 3D, and Mario golf 3D. On top of that I have a bunch of freebie game boy advance virtual games that include Metroid Fusion! (Some kind of ambassador program and I got no loving idea what that means.) Ugh where the hell do I start...

Can’t go wrong here!

Where's your copy of Contact, or "Oblivion DS"?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
All that's left on my "Gee, I hope they rerelease it on Switch" checklist is Metroid Prime and the world's absolute longest long shot, GoldenEye.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From Japanese website Games Talk:

Super Mario 64 runs at 960x720 in all play modes.
Super Mario Sunshine runs at 1080p docked, 720p undocked.
Super Mario Galaxy runs at "up to" 1080p docked, "up to" 720p undocked.

I'm guessing that "up to" means they do dynamic resolution stuff to keep the framerate up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

American McGay posted:

It's also entirely possible that the licensing contracts Nintendo made with 3rd party publishers such as Capcom, Konami and Square were only for a couple years and they didn't bother with trying to renegotiate for another run of minis.

Also, manufacturing is pretty turbofucked right now as it is. And IIRC, the SNES Mini implicitly was made basically tide people over til the Switch came out. (While the NES Mini they apparently massively underestimated demand for)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Max Wilco posted:

[/u]

Additionally, I'm a miser who doesn't like paying full retail price for games.

That didn't even occur to me, but that makes a lot of sense: get people to panic buy the game in order to maximize yearly profits, then turn around and do additional printings later.

Well... they outright said that the NES Classic and SENS classic would be a limited run, and then stuck to their word on that so far. I've still never seen either of those out in the wild more than twice.

I think the idea of the limited run is to make it feel special and get people to buy 3 old games for $60. I would not be surprised if the digital version is replaced with 3 stand alone digital titles for $20 each.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
All-Stars have always been limited runs, too.

I kept my Wii copy in the fancy box.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Oh bullshit, you can't use a voucher to preorder a game if the voucher expires before the game is released? I have one expiring next week and I was hoping to use it to preorder 3D World.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

They may be barebones ports that are being arbitrarily yanked from sale next year but what am I gonna do, not have Mario Sunshine on my Switch?

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Not gonna lie, still bummed out about Galaxy 2. The collection just doesn't feel complete without it, and it sucks that one of the better games will probably be stuck with lovely resolution. Would be nice to have them all in one package. I'm guessing Nintendo hasn't said anything about it since the direct aired?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://zelda.gamepedia.com/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Four_Swords_Anniversary_Edition

quote:

Released as part of the 25th Anniversary of The Legend of Zelda series, the remaster was made available as a free download between September 28, 2011 and February 20, 2012 internationally via the DSi Shop and Nintendo eShop. It was later made available again as a free download between January 30 and February 2, 2014 in North America, exclusively via the Nintendo eShop, after the release of A Link Between Worlds to celebrate its critical acclaim, including the Game of the Year award from GameSpot. Currently, the game is not available for download.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Vookatos posted:

Not gonna lie, still bummed out about Galaxy 2. The collection just doesn't feel complete without it, and it sucks that one of the better games will probably be stuck with lovely resolution. Would be nice to have them all in one package. I'm guessing Nintendo hasn't said anything about it since the direct aired?

It may get put in a bundle with NEW and 3D World down the line. :unsmith:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

man nurse posted:

but what am I gonna do, not have Mario Sunshine on my Switch?

Ideally

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh poo poo, I lost my Nintendo account and it's April 2021 and my Switch crashed. Whoopsie!

Thinking of ordering 100 game & watches to pay for a Porsche.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

:thunk:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Here's the side by side graphical comparison for Mario 64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EntWrvOX38

Compared against an HDMI modded N64.

Aside from the resolution bump it's quite clear they replaced the textures with uncompressed versions of the originals that look a lot cleaner.

Nice glad to see they made the effort of updating the textures that’s the best thing they could’ve done other than add Luigi to the game 👍

Ordering the 3D all stars now because I’m literally insane.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'd take a straight 3D Land port over Sunshine tbh

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Absolutely criminal that they are pretending the best mario game with a 2 doesn’t exist, Super Mario land 2

I am really excited to try Sunshine again for some reason. I feel like that game is better today than it was at launch and I can’t explain it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Guys, they’re saving Galaxy 2 for Mario 3D All Stars 2

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh poo poo, I lost my Nintendo account and it's April 2021 and my Switch crashed. Whoopsie!

Thinking of ordering 100 game & watches to pay for a Porsche.

How can you lose an account

Like,

how

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I preordered 3d all stars and the g&w thing and the Mario kart but I might cancel the preorder of Mario’s kart because I’d probably play that once, making a small loop course in my tiny apartment, then never use it again

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Next direct will be on November 13, to celebrate the 28th anniversary of Mario Teaches Typing. They'll be announcing Mario Educational All-Stars, a bundle which includes Mario Teaches Typing, Mario Is Missing, Mario's Time Machine, and Mario Galaxy 2.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Rerelease Mario Paint, you cowards!

Pushy Cat
Jun 24, 2016

saving galaxy 2 for the yoshi kitchen sink anniversary collection. you guys

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Dammit Nintendo, why aren't the My Nintendo Missions available in Australia?

Let me have those pins! :negative:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

hatty posted:

All-Stars ruins SMB3's aesthetic

Sakurazuka posted:

Crappy NES graphics is not an aesthetic
Really bad opinions itt.

Nail Rat posted:

The catalogue of the classic.consoles.is absolutely not all on the Switch. There's three important square games missing (SMRPG, FF6, FF1 for laughs). Plus Earthbound.

Edit: no Chrono Trigger, what the gently caress was I thinking there.
I'd kill for a collection of 8/16-bit FF games like the Mana collection. Though with the Legend/Saga collection just announced, that's looking more hopeful for a future release.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Vookatos posted:

I have already seen six seperate takes where people are huffing weapons grade cope-ium and going "ACTUALLY, MARIO GALAXY 2 IS poo poo! I WOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT THE COLLECTION IF THEY'D HAD IT!!!"

Which, it should go without saying, is that you'd rather pay 60 bucks for 3 games instead of 60 bucks for four. I guess??

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Square sells lazy ports of their old games constantly. It’s weird they haven’t been on switch yet but they have iOS ports of FF1-9

Here’s a bundle of the 2d ones
https://apps.apple.com/us/app-bundle/final-fantasy-6-1-in-one/id918465901

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hedrigall posted:

How can you lose an account

Like,

how

You leave it in your pocket before doing the laundry and well now it's gone

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
It would have been $75 to $80 at that stage with all 4 and people would have been even more pissed than they are now.

Can't wait to lick the All stars cart, only to realise that Mario 64 is a code or something.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Square sells lazy ports of their old games constantly. It’s weird they haven’t been on switch yet but they have iOS ports of FF1-9

What RPG franchise was it where they put work into updating their game for mobile phones and it actually made all the graphics worse

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

What RPG franchise was it where they put work into updating their game for mobile phones and it actually made all the graphics worse

Chrono Trigger did that, didnt it?

Nope, I'm half right: https://www.engadget.com/2018-02-27-bad-mobile-port-chrono-trigger-on-steam.html

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

First of all, mobile isn't Switch. Second of all, I literally want them to do with the games exactly what they did for the Mana collection; hand the original NES/SNES ROMs over to M2 and have them port them over with no frills or "enhancements" except using the GBA translation for FF2&5 and an official translation for NES 3.

Ideally we'd get Dawn of Souls instead of straight ports of NES 1 and 2, but I still have my cart and a working GBA SP, so I wouldn't be upset with the NES versions.

E:

Steve Yun posted:

That was FF. The mobile ports of 4 and 6 at least look atrocious, and as mentioned CT had an upscaling filter applied to it by default that they only gave you the option to disable in a post-launch patch.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 4, 2020

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

So this whole time limited thing has got me thinking about digital vs. physical purchases. I’ve normally gone digital but I now remember the Wii shop was taken down (right?). Does that mean you can’t redownload purchases from it? Basically, if I go all digital, am I going to get barred from downloading my purchases at some point in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dugong posted:

. Does that mean you can’t redownload purchases from it? Basically, if I go all digital, am I going to get barred from downloading my purchases at some point in the future?

No