Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just adapt this SMBC comic if you want a story about Superman having a long term positive impact on the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Argue posted:

Just adapt this SMBC comic if you want a story about Superman having a long term positive impact on the world.

Huh...that was actually a pretty depressing read.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The story to about 90% of SMBC comics is "fictional characters shouldn't do exciting things" or "a slight change in society gets wildly extrapolated until it results in a dystopia".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Argue posted:

Grant Morrison already did it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Lobok posted:

But it stopped being a thing for long enough that Slott was able to make a story about Ock's brain being damaged over the years by Spider-Man's fists.

Was that specifically from blows to the head? I thought the relentless mutant haymakers Spider-Man landed on Ock's regular human body caused a vague total body failure.

Why'd they okay Spider-Man killing (manslaughtering?) a guy in such a gruesome way.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I don't know if it counts as Spider-Man killing him when it's the result of Doc Ock relentlessly hurling his mortal shell into superhero fights in an attempt to kill some people/everyone, for decades. Like, he's just old and has been through an immense amount of physical stress, most of it incurred while he was trying to violently end thousands of lives and Spider-Man's life in particular.

Seems about as "on" Peter as Lex Luthor getting Kryptonite poisoning was "on" Superman.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It would at least be a shared responsibility. Spider-Man isn't the only person who's ever punched Dr. Octopus in the head.

Too bad when Ock died in the 90s The Hand didn't resurrect him with any of his long-term injuries healed.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
With the kryptonite poisoning though Lex is the only party involved. Superman wasn’t hitting him with kryptonite rays, so when Lex says “Superman did this to me!” It’s easy to go “nah, you did this to yourself” drawing a direct line to Spider-Man’s (and friends’) fists gives them a bit too much participation in his slow gruesome death. Though if this had happened after Ock joined the nazis? Cool.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't actually think he can do that. He's not a plumber, and even if he manually distributes water by hand, the problem isn't solved until they actually deal with the pipes.

most of these are well he could do them but he wouldnt, which was my point. but this one, first he lived on a farm so i have a hard time believing he doesnt know at least the basics of plumbing, but he has like super learning like the flash because he can study super fast, he has super speed, strength, flight, heat vision for tunneling, and can see every wavelength of the electromagnetic spectrum so he can see the piping and where buried power lines and related stuff is so he can take out and replace the pipes (which was the intent of my original paragraph, the way youre response is phrased makes it seem like maybe that wasnt clear). am i missing something?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly that's one of the reasons I'm put off by the idea of Superman, because sometimes he's a plausible organism with abilities and physical and mental limits and sometimes he's the ultimate life form and a perfect being that is the expression of the greatest aspirations of humanity. I was kinda just imagining that he'd be one of those frustrated failure DIY operations and just like how he needs a science man to fix up his rocket, he needs somebody who actually knows what they're doing to fix the plumbing.

Twist: There's so much lead in the pipes that Superman can't actually see enough of the plumbing to figure it out with his X-ray vision.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lobok posted:

It would at least be a shared responsibility. Spider-Man isn't the only person who's ever punched Dr. Octopus in the head.

Too bad when Ock died in the 90s The Hand didn't resurrect him with any of his long-term injuries healed.

I think it's more likely Slott forgot that happened. I seem to recall that one of the events referenced as part of the litany of injuries that put him in that state was that time Joe Fixit knocked him out with a flick of the finger, which I think happened before he died and was resurrected.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

site posted:

most of these are well he could do them but he wouldnt, which was my point. but this one, first he lived on a farm so i have a hard time believing he doesnt know at least the basics of plumbing, but he has like super learning like the flash because he can study super fast, he has super speed, strength, flight, heat vision for tunneling, and can see every wavelength of the electromagnetic spectrum so he can see the piping and where buried power lines and related stuff is so he can take out and replace the pipes (which was the intent of my original paragraph, the way youre response is phrased makes it seem like maybe that wasnt clear). am i missing something?

Superman is as dumb as anyone. Just because I can read super-fast doesn’t mean that reading will make me a competent engineer. You have to have experience and like doing something in order to be good at it.

By utilitarian logic, we should all become engineers or like geneticists solving world hunger, but it’s not feasible because we’d be bad at it and burn ourselves out after a few years. Superman is an average white man who is strong and who can fly, and he’s also genuinely ethical and not racist. How would he even know how to hold spaceships so they don’t break up when flying them into space.

I would guess that in dc world, there is super science that solves at least some problems. Getting into space in a spaceship seems really easy compared to our world, for example.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Isn't flash considered a potential genius because he can learn everything extremely quickly. I thought that was an actual thing for DC characters

SlothfulCobra posted:

Twist: There's so much lead in the pipes that Superman can't actually see enough of the plumbing to figure it out with his X-ray vision.

i lol'd but he doesn't need to see in the pipes just that they're there

site fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 4, 2020

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It depends on the incarnation/interpretation of Superman. Silver Age Superman definitely does have super-intellect just as a baseline power, and I believe modern Superman can still read things extremely quickly and is generally considered pretty knowledgeable. How hard he's able to go on that depends on who's writing him.

I agree that it's totally reasonable for him to replace faulty water pipes, though. He could hook up with someone who's able to tell him what's what and/or spend some time learning the fundamentals. It's a complicated job, but not one that requires a lifetime of study.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Isn't flash considered a potential genius because he can learn everything extremely quickly. I thought that was an actual thing for DC characters

I think that's one of those "depending on who's writing" powers that comes and goes whenever it's convenient. I like how the Flash TV show portrayed it, where he can become a temporary genius by speed-reading books but then his knowledge fades pretty rapidly.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

And like, come on, this is a dude who has a long list of more complex feats on his ledger. A lot of the time he's written as just a big, well-meaning farmboy, but he also occasionally sings a note of pure resonant hope to destroy the forces of Anti-Life, so municipal plumbing probably isn't beyond him. It might have to be the climax of a crossover event for him to muster sufficient dramatic heft, though.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

He could even do the, "Enough!" thing where his eyes glow red before going to town on the pipes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

site posted:

I have always hated Flash wank. I used to hear about how he was the strongest being ever because apparently a pebble at FTL speeds could supposedly destroy a planet or something. Ergo, Flash is the strongest being ever.

That's almost never how it is in anything. "Speedstars" are fast but not strong or tough. They will run really fast at you but against any serious opponent, they just run into a brick wall because all they have is speed. You need Superman or somebody if you want strength.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think it's more likely Slott forgot that happened. I seem to recall that one of the events referenced as part of the litany of injuries that put him in that state was that time Joe Fixit knocked him out with a flick of the finger, which I think happened before he died and was resurrected.

I don't think he forgot considering Stunner showed up in the Superior storyline. And Slott doesn't seem like the sort to forget a thing like Dr. Octopus dying and being brought back. He just glossed over it because the story only makes sense if Dr. Octopus has the long history of being beaten up by Spider-Man because why him and not any other of his unpowered foes? The reader needs to assume the full history of Spider-Man has happened in the impossibly compressed way that every Marvel character's publication history has happened but also at the same time it's not too compressed because Dr. Octopus and Spider-Man have a much older shared history than between any other (unpowered) villain and Spider-Man.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 4, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

In Geoff Johns Teen Titans, Bart was special because he could actually retain the knowledge he obtained at super speed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

I don't think he forgot considering Stunner showed up in the Superior storyline. And Slott doesn't seem like the sort to forget a thing like Dr. Octopus dying and being brought back. He just glossed over it because the story only makes sense if Dr. Octopus has the long history of being beaten up by Spider-Man because why him and not any other of his unpowered foes? The reader needs to assume the full history of Spider-Man has happened in the impossibly compressed way that every Marvel character's publication history has happened but also at the same time it's not too compressed because Dr. Octopus and Spider-Man have a much older shared history than between any other (unpowered) villain and Spider-Man.

Yeah, of all the crimes Slott has committed while writing Spider-Man, I'm not going to harp on that one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, of all the crimes Slott has committed while writing Spider-Man, I'm not going to harp on that one.

Hey remember that time Peter accessed Ock's memory of banging Aunt May

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TheHan posted:

Was that specifically from blows to the head? I thought the relentless mutant haymakers Spider-Man landed on Ock's regular human body caused a vague total body failure.

Why'd they okay Spider-Man killing (manslaughtering?) a guy in such a gruesome way.

Android Blues posted:

I don't know if it counts as Spider-Man killing him when it's the result of Doc Ock relentlessly hurling his mortal shell into superhero fights in an attempt to kill some people/everyone, for decades. Like, he's just old and has been through an immense amount of physical stress, most of it incurred while he was trying to violently end thousands of lives and Spider-Man's life in particular.

Seems about as "on" Peter as Lex Luthor getting Kryptonite poisoning was "on" Superman.

They specifically said the exposure to radiation from his work (and the explosion) had damaged his body's ability to heal from the injuries he sustained over time.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I really do think that there's a hard limit to the amount of social change you can do with just the power to lift things really well. Although there are a bunch of times when Superman does some small jobs for orphans or something.

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2011-07-13, but for real

Like lots of super powers, Superman's flight and super strength seem to powered by unlimited free energy - in Supe's case, I think it's something-something-yellow-sun? - which COULD be converted into electrical energy by someone reasonably intelligent... but that would be really boring, both to Superman and the reader, so instead of spinning a colossal turbine all day he goes on adventures and punches bad guys in the face.

Edit: welp, I'm a loving moron who should read the thread more carefully. Oh well!

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 5, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That was already posted on this very page.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That comic gets posted every time a "superman should help the world better" derail starts to the point where I feel like it just be stickied on top of every page.

"Do you feel Superman doesn't help enough? Click here, okay we're done"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Superman is the most efficient solar cell on the planet so realistically he should allow Lex Luthor to strap him to some super-science gadget and use him to convert solar energy for practical use.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Hey remember that time Peter accessed Ock's memory of banging Aunt May

gently caress you.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lobok posted:

Sorry the Hand's Resurrection ritual will fix whatever caused your death. It does nothing for pre-existing medical conditions.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Superman is the most efficient solar cell on the planet so realistically he should allow Lex Luthor to strap him to some super-science gadget and use him to convert solar energy for practical use.

he’s a person with consciousness so it would be unethical to exploit him in this way. thats my take

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Question IRL posted:

Sorry the Hand's Resurrection ritual will fix whatever caused your death. It does nothing for pre-existing medical conditions.

Another reason why the League of Assassins is better. :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

he’s a person with consciousness so it would be unethical to exploit him in this way. thats my take

Yeah we got some real Luthors itt :colbert:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly I don't think that just being a cheap source of energy would solve most structural world problems. It'd just be captured by the haves while the have-nots wind up getting nothing out of the deal so long as they lack bargaining power. Like how the increase of labor-saving technologies resulted in the decrease of the laborforce instead of just decreasing the labor on average each laborer needed to do. Technological development on its own does not restructure society despite the people who claim that all you need to fo is wait for techno-jesus.

Lurdiak posted:

They specifically said the exposure to radiation from his work (and the explosion) had damaged his body's ability to heal from the injuries he sustained over time.

I kinda like the whole movie explanation that just the interface with the tentacles makes him go nuts, although technically in the comics the tentacles are connected to him basically by magic instead of some cyborg interface.

Although I also don't remember him being that crazy in the comics, and I don't see anything wrong with a guy just being a jerk because the world kicked him around.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although I also don't remember him being that crazy in the comics, and I don't see anything wrong with a guy just being a jerk because the world kicked him around.

There was an article in Wizard magazine decades ago where they interviewed a psychologist about various Super Villains. And the made a lot of points about how he'd have to have Otto have a brain scan as actual head injuries explain his behaviour.

Like in some classic 70's/80's stories, he has these crazy mood swings which seem the hallmark of actual brain damage. Like the story where Reed Richard's recruits Doc Ock to help him when Sue has complications with their pregnancy. And he is fine....until someone mentions Spider-man and he just freaks out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scary ghost dog posted:

FOR THE GOOD OF ALL MANKIND

TwoPair posted:

Yeah we got some real Luthors itt :colbert:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

in retrospect i shouldnt have specified that it would be unethical because he has consciousness. it would probably still be pretty hosed up to do that to someone otherwise

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

That's exactly what Luthor would say.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Human rights only apply to humans. :colbert:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lurdiak posted:

i guess that superhumans get super rights!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

I miss Marvel Heroes