Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Jesus In A Can posted:

There's a point right when they arrive in Arrakeen where they make a deal about resetting all of their clocks to local time, and Idaho makes a drunken fool of himself at 2am following the dinner party, as noted by Jessica.

Resetting their clocks to the local length of day, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can’t wait to stream this movie

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vlex posted:

Tolkien famously didn't like Dune.

Tolkien is a turd

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

COVID be damned i am seeing this in a goddamn theater half a dozen times

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gonna make an airtight stillsuit with a rebreather so I can go to theaters

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Notahippie posted:

It's something I've been thinking about because it's an active theme in the book - I don't remember if it was Chani or Kynes or even Kynes' dad in the appendix in the copy I had, but one of the ecologists talks about how "the worst thing that could happen to my people is if they fall into the hands of a hero" and there's a suggestion that the Fremen were in part ready to unify behind Paul because Kynes had successfully unified them behind a transformational vision. But Herbert never really does anything with it other than basically say "yeah, poo poo sucks doesn't it" and the plot really glorifies Paul. I've never been sure whether Herbert meant it to read as a tragedy but fell into the trap that your hero is always the most sympathetic character, or if the ecological stuff was just background.

I know the bit you mean- it describes the slow, steady success of the terraforming effort, and ends with "...until the planet was afflicted by a Hero" or words to that effect.
There's a deep sadness to the Kynes sections because he represents us, in a way- he has a "modern" outlook, he uses scientific terms a lot, he's largely free from the horrifying, claustrophobic cultural norms that seem to bind everyone else. He could come from our world, in a way that none of the other characters could- he's a scrap of science and liberality (in the old sense of the word) in this bizarre nightmare universe of feudal overlords and space worms.
And then all of that kind of erodes under the baroque barbarity of the dune universe and Paul's messianic charisma. When you read Kyne's sections, you see him being pulled into the Atreides orbit, and find yourself actively cheering it on. You want this lone beacon extinguished because you yourself are infected with Paul's jihad madness, and the book itself does very little to make you aware of this. I don't know, maybe I'm not a critical enough reader.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I am going to make a point: I love that she's seated in this shot and that Paul towers over her. Under normal circumstances we'd consider the person who is physically higher and more dynamically posed to be more powerful, but Mohiam - and by extension the Bene Gesserit - don't operate by those rules.

Ooh, nice catch. He's right in the middle of that circular floor pattern, too, and she still manages to be at the centre of things...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I just remembered the band DVNE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMjw4PIhmO8

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Oh poo poo this whips

I'm takin the sludge of life over here

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Not explicitly Dune like... well, DVNE, but this popped up on my feed recently as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCqG9B8j-cI

Such poor stillsuit discipline. :mediocre:

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Ah so that's what semuta music is

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Nah this is semuta music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4HOZQgEyVo

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Nah semuta music is specifically made to listen to while high on drugs... It's Phish.

Or this guy https://youtu.be/hpjV962DLWs

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
All music is made to listen to while high on drugs imo :okpos:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still say, Spice Up Your Life for a Spice Orgy

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think they could plausibly do a film version of God Emperor, but the only way it will work is if the runtime is 3-4 hours and it's a real-time 3D depiction of Siaynoq, in a similar style to BIlly Lynn's Long Halftime Walk.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ken Burns presents: God Emperor of Dune

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ken Burns presents: God Emperor of Dune

It could never be made but doing Dune as an in-universe documentary would be a really fun idea.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

It could never be made but doing Dune as an in-universe documentary would be a really fun idea.

Probably wouldn't be that hard for a fan film- after all the Burns aesthetic is just voiceovers layered on top of panning photos. Just pan over the book covers while pretending to be Harq al-Ada.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

the 5 hours bumfuckers cut of 1984 dune has an extended prologue in this style.

It sucks, but what can you do.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 4, 2020

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Interludes by Gurney Halleck playing Ashokan Farewell on the baliset.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

duuune

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

"This was made possible by the CHOAM Corporation, and contributions from viewers like you."

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

„No thinking machines were used on this production”

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Narrated by Peter Cielago

(if Arrakis had mice and IIRC foxes, it surely could have had coyotes, but they weren't mentioned...)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What ever came of that Bene Gesserit TV show that was supposedly in the works?

Was that just a failson fantasy?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I can't find any news about it more recent than the last July.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

What ever came of that Bene Gesserit TV show that was supposedly in the works?

Was that just a failson fantasy?

on the record i read the writers left to 'focus on dune pt 2', but that's all i got

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
You just know the only reason the failson books get any traction is those people who read ONLY SF and EVERYTHING SF so you can't even spell it out for them how bad the poo poo is. We know they're living in the dark but to their minds we are just not as fan-ly as them. Kanly on the fan-ly.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I joined a Dune facebook group and there's a big faction of failson readers who jump on anybody for criticizing the books or them for reading and liking them. I left the group. Life is too short to deal with that poo poo.

Or to be on facebook to be honest

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
If they really see Dune as a superhero story then yeah, they don't get it at all.

Then again, they probably wouldn't understand the term itself, ones I've met.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Remember when gary Numan made a feemen inspired album about climate change

https://youtu.be/qzsvZpO1I_4

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

Vehrehoeven's DUNE

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

kiimo posted:

I joined a Dune facebook group and there's a big faction of failson readers who jump on anybody for criticizing the books or them for reading and liking them. I left the group. Life is too short to deal with that poo poo.

Or to be on facebook to be honest

As a goon you should have the power to dunc on anyone.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

"Some say the Fremen were provoked by Guild incursion on their territory, that a live and let live policy is preferable-"
"Listen here- I'm from Carthag, and I say kill em all!"

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

God the mini series has some of the worst Dune poo poo ever created like what the gently caress is that

edit: good poo poo instead...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHh8dzxTSNw

kiimo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 4, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kiimo posted:

God the mini series has some of the worst Dune poo poo ever created like what the gently caress is that

edit: good poo poo instead...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHh8dzxTSNw

That movie is still so good . It’s amazing

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Locutus of Borg lookin good

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I mean the fremen did start an interstellar war to convert people...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Murray Mantoinette posted:

I mean the fremen did start an interstellar war to convert people...

I didn’t turn out very well