Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Corbeau posted:

Partition succession owns, the stress mechanics own. Playing different rulers feels so much more distinct compared to CK2.

yeah, the stress mechanic is so good i think that alone would block me from replaying ck2

SubNat posted:

Odd tangent, but has anyone been able to lose weight?
It is kind of strange that you take the decision to lose weight, take a pretty notable stress penalty... and then nothing.
It's been around a decade and a half, and I expected atleast like, an event or something to pop up.

I get that it's supposed to be a pretty sizeable penalty, but it also feels strange that you don't get events for stuff like 'hire a trainer / rumors of a cook that makes healthy food.' etc.
I'd vaguely expect something like throwing a feast and then the guests being annoyed that you're serving healthy things instead of the normal stuff, etc etc.

so this game is super realistic, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Corbeau posted:

Partition succession owns, the stress mechanics own. Playing different rulers feels so much more distinct compared to CK2.

lol even though the Empire of Kanem-Bornu is bigger than ever the paper map is a complete farce. I was able to reform the religion before my ruler died, but I did not think it through that it meant that only part of the empire would convert while huge chunks of it would stay with the old, now hostile faith.

My heir was a real piece of poo poo, he was also a Shy Grey Eminence but throw the "wrong religion" penalties everywhere, also he was Paranoid and Greedy on top of it. When the succession happened he was already at war with a rebellious count and his son died in a siege on day one, which was a great start. Also I checked the decision page and one of the new ones was "Attempt Suicide." The first thing on the checklist was selecting a Court Physician, I picked the most expensive option and then I also made her my concubine. Then uh apparently my other children were also super ill for some reason and when I did the safe treatment the first one got mutilated, and when I didn't punish the physician for that the next one died :stare:

All the recent conquests were angry as hell and quickly steamrolled towards an independence war, luckily what could have been 2/3 of the empire fighting against me became 1/3 of the empire because my spouse was able to get a Blackmail secret on one of the warleaders and force them out. I won the war easily enough and revoked titles... which I couldn't give away to the other half of my Angry Vassals because Greedy would cause severe mental breaks lol.

Meanwhile because of all the dead kids my heir was now a Lazy Paranoid Wrathful 13-year-old granddaughter. I was thinking, OK this will be a caretaker reign, just slowly build up the diplomacy to get everyone squared away, then maybe I can focus on learning to get the innovation requirement for feudalism out of the way. Unfortunately I took Ill... and then whoops I never fired that court physician. She leveled up after the other kid died so maybe the safe treatment will actually be fine --

I am now playing as a Lazy Paranoid Wrathful 13-year-old

:stoked:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The first thing on the checklist was selecting a Court Physician, I picked the most expensive option and then I also made her my concubine. Then uh apparently my other children were also super ill for some reason and when I did the safe treatment the first one got mutilated, and when I didn't punish the physician for that the next one died :stare:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Meanwhile because of all the dead kids my heir was now a Lazy Paranoid Wrathful 13-year-old granddaughter. I was thinking, OK this will be a caretaker reign, just slowly build up the diplomacy to get everyone squared away, then maybe I can focus on learning to get the innovation requirement for feudalism out of the way. Unfortunately I took Ill... and then whoops I never fired that court physician. She leveled up after the other kid died so maybe the safe treatment will actually be fine --

I am now playing as a Lazy Paranoid Wrathful 13-year-old

:stoked:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

My latest ruler caught smallpox early on, but the "medicine" he was given made him into an insane cannibal. He loved going on crusades to pick up lots of Muslim children to eat, even if they did make him sick fairly frequently. Towards the end of his life, however, the loss of his son sent him over the edge, and he added visits to brothels to his vices. He ended his life with a bang: he decided to share his passion of human flesh with the guests, and made a stew out of his own arm. The injuries from serving himself for dinner were ultimately what claimed his life.

GOTY.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Game owns bones

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

i'm playing as Yoruba tribal africans, I raised a raiding army and sent it to a neighbor and the raid loot stayed at 0 on each of their provinces even when i stayed there for months. i have the automatically raid box checked, but even if I uncheck it I don't see how to make my guys raid.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
You don't raid areas that 0 you raid areas that already have raid loot.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

DurosKlav posted:

Please make Partition suck just a little less please. Its making the game harder but not in a fun way imo. :(

Add laws to your titles, you can basically spend prestige to force primo early

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Skyl3lazer posted:

You can also just disinherit people if you need to, it's really not that hard to work without primo.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the pro move for early game inheritance is line up a son and a couple of daughters and then go celibate

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Skyl3lazer posted:

How? Don't you need the appropriate innovation before you can add that law?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Stux posted:

the pro move for early game inheritance is line up a son and a couple of daughters and then go celibate

Problem with this is that you have no control over the loins of your son until you are him.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
So far I've had one king get cancer late in his reign and, in attempting to get cured, lost an eye and was made a eunuch.

Had a son who was beneficiary of the first successful crusade, so Jerusalem had a bisexual atheist king. At last check, over 150 years later Jerusalem is still controlled by members of my dynasty, so good job, son.

Had a king kick the bucket fairly early and his one month old son became the new king. Boy lasted until age 5, when one of his vassals - also a child - became his bully, beat him up, and boy king ended up dying after the wounds got infected.

And my current queen (sister of boy king) spends all her time in taverns and brothels and is probably the greatest ruler the kingdom has had so far and everyone loves her.

I love this game. :allears:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Can you change the holding type of a county at all? The Sardina goldmine is one a church...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What do you do if the leader in another country is trying to murder you or your courtiers? Is there anything you can do to stop them?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

"Council Rights Guaranteed", oh how I hate it. I assume this exists because someone at some point used a hook to change a feudal contract to include the guarantee?

Some loving 7-steward relative shoved her way onto the council displacing the 25-point one I have.
And now I'm stuck with her until I murder her because even after incurring 20 tyranny by forcibly updating the contract, the 25-year council seat lock on her is still in place.

I wish the game pointed those out to me, because the moment your realm is a decent size it's almost guaranteed that you have better vassals and courtiers hanging about than the lovely slobs forcing themselves onto the contract because their dad blackmailed my dad half a generation ago.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Even with all of these terrible traits (and some of them helping) this teenager has a high enough intrigue, maybe i guess this is the reign where I practice stabbing?

The problem I suppose is that I am not sure how to translate stabbing into stability, internal domestic tranquility is probably what I need right now.

I guess blackmail really helped me out in the last independence war, maybe that's the way

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Broken Cog posted:

What do you do if the leader in another country is trying to murder you or your courtiers? Is there anything you can do to stop them?

Murder them back, harder?

Alternatively make them like you more, maybe.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Murder them back, harder?

Alternatively make them like you more, maybe.

Kinda tricky if it's an IRL friend of mine that I just got excommunicated because he dared me to.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Browsing the wiki, it does not appear that Jesus can give military advice anymore, this disappoints me, as having Jesus advise my vikings was great for getting >30 martial.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Broken Cog posted:

Kinda tricky if it's an IRL friend of mine that I just got excommunicated because he dared me to.

You didn't mention that part lmao

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Broken Cog posted:

Get 100 dread so he can find no one to help him because all the ai's will be scared piss-less.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I don't mind diplomatic range, but it is a bit silly when you are unable to interact with your head of faith (As an Ash'ari ruler around Tunis). I was going to create a new faith just to get my own head of faith...except all the holy sites are in Arabia and I'm planning more of a North Africa focus so I would never get one and it'd be entirely pointless. Oh well, the holy site bonuses for Ash'ari do kind of rule.

Incidentally, Prince Ibrahim Ibn Ahmad (Emirite of Kairouan below Tunis) is a pretty good start. He's kind of ridiculously stacked (I thought they randomized some stuff but he seems to have the same traits/stats whenever I start a game as him), plus he can become a king quickly by killing his brother. Was interesting going from a sadistic torturer with an intrigue focus to a forgiving theologian.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
so this old trick still works from ck2, if you're having trouble with war being a goose chase

the arrow indicating movement is colored by state

gold if you have not yet moved halfway to your destination, which means you can still cancel the move order

gray if you have moved halfway, meaning you are now locked and cannot cancel the order

red if you're moving into something hostile

so if you keep chasing down enemies, and you're adjacent to them but both of you are moving (say you are moving into their barony but they are moving to a third, empty barony) wait until their arrow turns gray then move onto the barony they are moving to. in this way, you'll catch them

another trick, not sure if the ck3 AI is smarter than this: split your army so that part of it is smaller than theirs. station this small army someplace easy to defend, as bait. keep the rest of your army in the next barony over. when enemies move onto your bait force and their arrow turns gray, move in with the rest of the force. in this way your bait guys get beat up on a defensive tile (mountains, or a river crossing) but it won't be long before way more dudes come riding over the horizon to back them up

Gamerofthegame posted:

Can you change the holding type of a county at all? The Sardina goldmine is one a church...

probably not. this was impossible in ck2 and if it is possible in ck3 then i imagine it is very difficult and rare

very good

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 5, 2020

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I don't understand how training grounds increased the damage stat of units in my realm. Do they stack?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

I don't understand how training grounds increased the damage stat of units in my realm. Do they stack?

Ye, all of the various realm damage bonus things stack.
So you can end up with pretty terrifying archers for example if you end up with hide tents in every region.

You can mouse over the men-at-arms stats to see their base and bonus damage etc over in the military menu.
It's a nice way for them to slowly scale up in strength, or for you to specialize.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
What's the best way to handle being a child king? Is there a way to designate a regent like in CK2?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How exactly does education work? I've been giving my kid to people with high stats but they generally come back unimpressive.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'm a bit confused about something. I started a new game as the Emir in the Rags to Riches 1066 list (on the Iberian pennisula) and I start with allied to one of my vassals. Is that supposed to be possible? Is there something gained by being an ally and a vassal that isn't there by just being a vassal?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If I understand correctly, vassals that are not your allies will let you raise the percentage of levies they owe you but they will not join a war and fight with their own troops, you have to explicitly be allies for that

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Thanks to the Emperor of France going Irish Christian, my bespoke faith that I started as a lovely Irish chieftain is now the second-largest branch of Christianity in the world, after Orthodoxy. The Pope has now mounted two successful crusades for Britain over this, and both times it has lasted exactly as long as it takes for the person they install to die, because the successor has gone "Actually, Irish Christianity rules, I'm converting" :laugh:

I take back my complaint on Discord about the Pope targeting us before the Muslims who held Rome, clearly we were actually the greater threat and he somehow foresaw that when nobody else did.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I fabricated a hook on a vassal, but can't use it to have him matri-marry my child. It says I have no hooks. What gives?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oh god this heir is of the old faith, how did this happen, and I can't convert until I come of age and also get 200 more piety

Religion fuckin sucks

I have no tools to defuse all the growing factions against me, i am counting down the days until my birthday lol

Edit: It's not like I can plot anything when my spymaster is at -100, this kid is gonna get got, literally the only person in the entire court with a positive attitude is my mother

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 5, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So negative popular opinion can lead to peasant revolts and stuff like that, but is there any benefit to having positive popular opinion in a county?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: It's not like I can plot anything when my spymaster is at -100, this kid is gonna get got, literally the only person in the entire court with a positive attitude is my mother

You gotta be kidding me, I just got an event that either makes my mother the target of my spymaster, makes my mother's opinion of me tank, or I get 140 stress

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

So negative popular opinion can lead to peasant revolts and stuff like that, but is there any benefit to having positive popular opinion in a county?

I don't know in general, but Scandinavian Elective gives bonus voting power based on the popular opinion in that ruler's capital county.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

so welcome to realm divide, population: me

exhibit a

exhibit b

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
After having stabbed, abducted, and tyrannically executed my way back to my father's three North African kingdoms, I decided to declare war on the Pope. One abduction later and I own Rome.

I'm gonna get the poo poo crusaded outta me aren't I?

e: Nevermind, immediately died of a heart attack. :v:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 5, 2020

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

What's the best way to compare counties in terms of what to keep and what to give away? I don't really see any useful correlation between the development, levy and tax statistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
E: Nvm it's absorbing the low tower stuff as per normal

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 5, 2020