Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm about 99% sure she's on the company payroll simply as Edgar's bodyguard/insurance policy.

I kinda hope they stick with Black Noir being the 'insurance policy.' In the comics, Black Noir is stronger than Homelander, he's just had to reign it in his entire life.

That being said, I think it really burns her rear end that Homelander's seen as the perfect specimen of super-powerdom when she was likely the original "Uberfrau." The "gramps" burn seemed more barbed than it was intended to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It'd be an interesting twist if Stormfront wasn't actually a foreveryoung OG nazi but the descendant of one of Vought's original Dachau test-subjects who didn't quite get powers but had their genome hosed enough to be interesting. if only because "lol gently caress minorities right fellow Groypers" is all kinds of Laura Loomer/Ben Shapiro/Candace Owens bullshit

BIG HEADLINE posted:

[spoiler] The "gramps" burn seemed more barbed than it was intended to be.
I felt like it was the hot new kid with the social media buzz over the old guard and their curated corporate bullshit.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

It'd be an interesting twist if Stormfront wasn't actually a foreveryoung OG nazi but the descendant of one of Vought's original Dachau test-subjects who didn't quite get powers but had their genome hosed enough to be interesting. if only because "lol gently caress minorities right fellow Groypers" is all kinds of Laura Loomer/Ben Shapiro/Candace Owens bullshit

I felt like it was the hot new kid with the social media buzz over the old guard and their curated corporate bullshit.

Okay Boomer

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Fun hints:

Wikipedia posted:

Although Stormfront became the first website associated with white supremacy, its founding as a private cyberspace medium for white supremacy was based on the earlier online bulletin board system Liberty Net.[19][20]

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's a lot of fun stuff going on w/r/t branding, with Homelander trying to get the Super Villain naming to take off, and rejecting the Saving the World motto.

He's largely not getting his way this time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bro Dad posted:

Fun hints:

Aw, Billy Zane is still doing C-list super hero films in this universe too.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Victis posted:

I think the idea that Stormfront is a literal actual Nazi from back in the day is genius because it sets up a conflict between Homelander and her.

She probably sees in him an ally and the ideal ubermensch. On the other hand, he sees himself as such a champion of America, how do you reconcile that with working with what the US has always considered the Big Bad Guys

Uh, do you know anything at all about America?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Solice Kirsk posted:

Aw, Billy Zane is still doing C-list super hero films in this universe too.
Wasn't he a guest shot in the latest Popclaw vid in S1?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

FilthyImp posted:

Wasn't he a guest shot in the latest Popclaw vid in S1?

Yeah when they're watching the movie from that poster it's Billy Zane she corners in the alley.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

Counterpoint: Do watch Lucky. It is a good show.

Counter-counterpoint: Don't watch the second season, its awful.

First season was great though.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think I got maybe two episodes into the second season of Happy before I realized all the fun of the first season was gone.

Well in the comic the main character dies at the end of the events of the first season, season 2 is all original stuff

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Yeah when they're watching the movie from that poster it's Billy Zane she corners in the alley.

He also shows up for a second when MM approaches Mesmer at the hero-con.

Watched the eps last night, and I'm pretty bummed where it ended on, only because now I don't want to wait a week for the next episode.

I was initially kind of bummed they spoiled the whale part in teasers but holy poo poo the payoff with Butcher and then MM going to talk to Hughie as he refuses to get out of the whale corpse was great..

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Speaking of MM, it looks like his name is just Marvin Milk in the series, so we'll probably get to skip the whole issue with his mom from the comics, thank god. Too bad we loose his father's story/his reason to hate Vought too with it. I guess it's just a nickname based on his protective nature and his real name after all.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I do wonder if one thing they'll keep from the books is Butcher dosing Hughie with Compound V because ~reasons~.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh, I could see that. And the good news would be him and Starlight would have something in common!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Huh, I could see that. And the good news would be him and Starlight would have something in common!

I keep thinking back to a quote from "The Losers."

"It's like giving a handgun to a six year old. You don't know how it's gonna end, but you're pretty sure it's gonna make the papers."

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Aya Cash is a goddamn treasure and ive missed her since "youre the worst" ended. everyone should give that series a chance.

knowing that aya, personally, herself is jewish, i don't know that she goes full on nazi, but who knows

i put the books down when i tried to reread them after season 1, but now that I'm down to weekly episodic stuff, i may try to re read em

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just glad thus far I haven't had to hear Hughie talk about how he feels "stuck-in".

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do wonder if one thing they'll keep from the books is Butcher dosing Hughie with Compound V because ~reasons~.

I wonder if they're gonna get around to that or leave it as is with The Boys using more indirect means of confronting the Seven. I prefer the way it is where they're having to convert other supes and blackmail and get the media/authorities involved whenever they can.

But I could see them getting hopped up on Compound V in a big final confrontation. In the comics, the Compound V secret is not only out when the comic starts, it's basically a street drug.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Eat This Glob posted:

i put the books down when i tried to reread them after season 1, but now that I'm down to weekly episodic stuff, i may try to re read em
Eh, there's so much edgelord poo poo that it kind of becomes a wash.

Like, the thing I remember about the series most is that every year a Maxi-series Crossover that CHANGES EVERYTHING happens where the supes go off is actually a huge orgy, and one of the capes is like "yo try this poo poo it's uncut coke with LSD and soaked in Maeve's WAP.

Caros
May 14, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Eh, there's so much edgelord poo poo that it kind of becomes a wash.

Like, the thing I remember about the series most is that every year a Maxi-series Crossover that CHANGES EVERYTHING happens where the supes go off is actually a huge orgy, and one of the capes is like "yo try this poo poo it's uncut coke with LSD and soaked in Maeve's WAP.

To this day I can't tell if I should roll my eyes at Garth Ennis or if he should be on some sort of list.

Possibly both.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

LentThem posted:

also it kinda bugs me that her outfit is basically Helmetless Darth Vader and she uses Force Lightning

The perfect right wing troll level.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

But In the comics they ALL used V, right? Which none of them have so far. It feels like a distinct choice to me by the writers, as it makes it clearer what separates them from the Supes and keeps them as massive underdogs, which is part of the appeal

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Who played Butcher in the hilarious re enactment of his confrontation with Stillwell?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
It'll probably be a one time deal, like injecting the V in desperation to fight some supe

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

But In the comics they ALL used V, right? Which none of them have so far. It feels like a distinct choice to me by the writers, as it makes it clearer what separates them from the Supes and keeps them as massive underdogs, which is part of the appeal

Yeah there's a lot more weight to things because of it. In the comics the Compound V just turns everything into a punchfight that's about as dramatic as CGI Iron Man fighting CGI Captain America. There's no the'sension to it. Whereas on the show, in Episode 3 when Butcher steps in to save Hughie, he's taking a huge risk. Sure, he knows he's still alive for a reason and may have figured out his wife bargained for his life, and he's got a wild card of 2 supes in his back pocket, but it's still loving insane for a regular dude to step to Superman.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Panfilo posted:

Who played Butcher in the hilarious re enactment of his confrontation with Stillwell?

Amazon says its "Kym Wyatt McKenzie"

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4484458/

That part was loving hilarious though, I want to see more re-enactments of the boys actions.

Also bringing in Chris Hansen was a nice touch. (And he's willing to do anything nowadays)

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
Could anyone who's better at art history than me tell me if there was any significance to the paintings in Edgar's office, especially the ship heading into the storm? I feel like I've seen at least one of those before, and they center-framed them in several different scenes like they were important.

Could just be imagining things, of course.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AtraMorS posted:

Could anyone who's better at art history than me tell me if there was any significance to the paintings in Edgar's office, especially the ship heading into the storm? I feel like I've seen at least one of those before, and they center-framed them in several different scenes like they were important.

Could just be imagining things, of course.

They reminded me of the famously stolen Rembrandt

Neither of them is it, but stolen masterpieces seems like something Edgar would have.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That office is decorated strangely. It is a space made of modern glass, steel, fluorescents, etc, but it is filled with furniture and decor that belongs in an old office with dark wood paneling, bookshelves, dim lighting, heavy carpet, fireplace, etc. It looks like what one might imagine is in the office of the President of a prestigious university in a 200-year-old building somewhere.

withak fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 6, 2020

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

PostNouveau posted:

They reminded me of the famously stolen Rembrandt

Neither of them is it, but stolen masterpieces seems like something Edgar would have.
I'm probably way off here, but they reminded me of paintings you might see in an American history textbook right before you get to Ft. Sumter. "Coming storm" and all that.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

People talking about Homelander's characterization this season:

I read it as a continuation of his broader 'Daddy' 'Mommy' issues. He's finally had a taste (haha oh my god gross) of what being a "Dad" feels like and has been MIA playing house because he can and he wants to. He comes back just to get his fix of Vought needing him, Maeve tells him what's going on, he gets dragged back in, then projects his own Daddy issues by being the Dad himself. Everything he does whether it's being gentle(er) with the Deep of telling Starlight to kill Hughie or just letting people do their thing rather than going full Homelander like in Season 1 feels like he's almost roleplaying. He's this near-omnipotent creature who just got told off by his own son and now he's making everyone else his surrogate children. My son didn't listen to me but my perfect brand of kind yet stern discipline will work on my OTHER FAMILY, the 7.

So listen to me everyone and let me tell you how to do everything.

If anything it's not more measured it's more terrifying because it goes from "violence" to "abuse".

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Victis posted:

I think the idea that Stormfront is a literal actual Nazi from back in the day is genius because it sets up a conflict between Homelander and her.

She probably sees in him an ally and the ideal ubermensch. On the other hand, he sees himself as such a champion of America, how do you reconcile that with working with what the US has always considered the Big Bad Guys

Oh boy do I have some fun news for you about America and the symbolism behind Homelander

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I want whatever drug the Eagle gave the Deep.

Anyone knows what's the song playing at the credits of episode 3?

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you reconcile it with lies, op.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Victis posted:

On the other hand, he sees himself as such a champion of America, how do you reconcile that with working with what the US has always considered the Big Bad Guys

Ha... haha.... hahahaha

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
What was the deal in ep 1 where the Deep gets up and there was some weird goop under him? Considering there's a momentary focus on it I assume it's important.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It was gum

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bought some Fresca today. Gonna start politely offering it to people in the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Small White Dragon posted:

What was the deal in ep 1 where the Deep gets up and there was some weird goop under him? Considering there's a momentary focus on it I assume it's important.

he is a gross fish man. The end. Half the combined subplots of the fist three episodes is him coming to terms with being a gross fish man.