Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Helsing posted:

You have not actually provided any compelling evidence that your interpretation is more plausible than the alternatives.

How about you explain how you reached these conclusions? Or alternatively stop posting in the thread. I think at this point those are your two options moving forward because at this point you're monopolizing the thread without really contributing to it.

The fact you would draw to try to stop the noble crusading hero who posts so hard and totally de-converted that one person by spamming their Facebook is a strong indicator you are an agent of Q^-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Bucky, your manic meltdown was giving me so much anxiety I couldn’t even look at this thread, so for your sake please talk to your doctor about starting or increasing some meds. I say this honestly out of care and concern, you’re worrying me dude.

Everyone else; just stop antagonizing Bucky if you know it’s not going to go anywhere you want and just put them on ignore.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Ambitious Spider posted:

That everyone is secretly trans theory reminds me of the flat earth one. If you suppose it’s true.... so what? Who cares nothing changes.

It’s not like air travel or transportation or satellites or whatever stop working, and I don’t know what they expect to be different or changed if everyone wasn’t secretly trans

It's actually a kind of important combination of a couple different strands of conspiracy theories. First, secret societies have long been associated with libertinism. Trans is just the latest form of sexual impropriety that they can go after since other forms have become more accepted. Couple that with the esotericism and 19th century mysticism surrounding Baphomet as a hermaphrodite god it's easy to accuse the synarchs as being ritually transformed into a different gender by their Caanite masters as part of the broader Judmas.

If it is true, it means that the synarchy is real and it's plain to see. Just like how the Twin Towers were obviously a temple to Baal. By seeing the signs of ritual devotion you can confirm that the conspiracy theory is real. It's hard to prove that there is a Babylonian cult that has ruled the world for the last 5000 years but if you are crazy you can see signs of it everywhere which validates your belief.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Can someone please tell RA to leave me alone, I’ve asked them nicely already, but they keep going and just used the word violent

You cannot be serious with this.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

50s girl groupon posted:

Bucky, your manic meltdown was giving me so much anxiety I couldn’t even look at this thread, so for your sake please talk to your doctor about starting or increasing some meds. I say this honestly out of care and concern, you’re worrying me dude.

Everyone else; just stop antagonizing Bucky if you know it’s not going to go anywhere you want and just put them on ignore.

This strategy is suggested time and again about people like Bucky and Prester Jane and other oft ignored posters, and it simply doesn't work. They post their ranting pants on head diatribes and someone always bites, and then there's pages of replies and replies to replies that you end up reading regardless.

It also punishes victims instead of perpetrators. The bad poster should be dealt with, the not bad posters shouldn't have to endure extra steps becuse of them.

This is essentially equivalent to just saying "wear a mask it'll protect you from the MAGA hat who refuses to wear a mask".

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
SA has a long and proud tradition of being a halfway house for genuinely crazy people. For every hundred shitposters with delusions of grandeur you get a genuine star like Caro or that dude who tried to walk across the country.

An insane wandering man trying to deprogram chuds has a lot of promise. I want to see where this goes.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Bucky quarantine thread when???

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Buckys' right, tho

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

50s girl groupon posted:

I frankly didn't have the spoons to come back and say:

Bucky connect the puzzle pieces for me. You claim these disparate points speak for themselves, and I've given it a solid try to connect the pieces. I literally spent about two hours analyzing evidence similar to yours to try and debunk this after a Facebook friend posted it. This turned out to be a complete waste of time, which I generally believe is the point of this kind of horseshit conspiracy posting, but I digress.

Your posting is like dumping a box of puzzle pieces on the floor insisting they fit together, but when I try and put them together and make the image on the box, only like three of them fit together, and the rest all seem like pieces from different puzzles. Even when they DO fit, by chance, they don't look like the picture on the box. So like... instead of dumping a bunch of articles by randos on Medium, a few Yahoo news articles about wildly different events, namedropping some capitalist ghouls, and saying "it speaks for itself..."

Explain how they actually connect, and prove that Roger Stone or Jim Watkins or whoever the villain of the week is is the real and true Q. And, more importantly, why it has to be that person, as opposed to a FYAD shitposter not following safari rules on the chans and then things getting out of hand.

edit: tl;dr, explain why I shouldn't just Occam's razor your whole argument.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or what possible difference it makes even if it was, when I contend that there is a: nothing you can do about it if it was and b: even if you did something about it it wouldn't stop it at this point and c: even if your conspiracy nonsense was correct then what stops someone else doing exactly the same thing at will, because you even apparently acknowledge that it is predicated on a mindset that is pre-existing and on a phenomen that occurs regularly. The obsession is pointless in every conceviable way.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Or what possible difference it makes even if it was, when I contend that there is a: nothing you can do about it if it was and b: even if you did something about it it wouldn't stop it at this point and c: even if your conspiracy nonsense was correct then what stops someone else doing exactly the same thing at will. The obsession is pointless in every conceviable way.

Going the :matters: route is a really dumb position, and actively gives Bucky ammo to dismiss people who challenge them. It would generally be interesting to know who Q is, or more likely what group is running the psyop. But I've still not seen enough to reject the null: That this whole mess sprouted organically from internet shitposting, and hit critical mass once enough people susceptible (Uncle Bill and Aunt Cheryl who believe Hillary Clinton eats babies) and enough grifters who can turn a profit (Alex Jones, who started off just wanting to make money but is now probably a True Faith believer in his own bullshit) got a hold of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not a dumb position when he phrases this entire thing from a position of this being some amazing new weapon that we, personally, need to figure out how to defeat by following a trail of breadcrumbs. This bizzare notion that he's somehow saving the world and doing everyone a favour is half the reason it's so stupid.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It's not a dumb position when he phrases this entire thing from a position of this being some amazing new weapon that we, personally, need to figure out how to defeat by following a trail of breadcrumbs. This bizzare notion that he's somehow saving the world and doing everyone a favour is half the reason it's so stupid.

I'm perfectly fine with people having a delusion that somehow knowing this one piece of knowledge will be the kryptonite that brings down the system. Their disappointment when that doesn't happen doesn't affect my life one bit. I am interested in the answer for knowledge sake.

And weirdly, the existence of Q casts doubt on the hypothesis that knowing a bit of damning info isn't a silver bullet if you give it to the right person. The weird and obnoxious part is when they don't come off it after having their argument pointed out as weak and not actually going through the steps to address the people going, "wait that doesn't make sense," with an explanation that connects the dots and makes sense of the puzzle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I think if anything qanon is the strongest possible proof that factual information is completely and absolutely irrelevant to a quite large number of people and it's not "knowing" a piece of information that is powerful it is reinforcing people's biases with appealing sounding nonsense spoken in an authoritative voice.

Which entertainingly makes rattling off a big list of names and a link to an article nobody reads a very appropriate argumentation style :v:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Incelshok Na posted:

genuinely crazy.

pseudanonymous posted:

ranting pants on head diatribes

50s girl groupon posted:

your manic meltdown

Please quote the posts you think fit these descriptions. (Aside from arguably one short sarcastic post on the day this whole thing literally made its way to the actual President, the day after I'd been patronisingly told that it wasn't going anywhere. And of course my response to someone presuming to speak to what is in my heart.)

And before you say it's the volume, remember that I have been clearly, deliberately, and maliciously misrepresented, by multiple people. I'm not stoked about that. I have tried to avoid engaging where possible and apologise if that ever fell short.

I have answered basically every question in good faith and believe I have been almost unfailingly polite. If you think otherwise then please show where.

Helsing posted:

You have not actually provided any compelling evidence that your interpretation is more plausible than the alternatives.

How about you explain how you reached these conclusions? Or alternatively stop posting in the thread. I think at this point those are your two options moving forward because at this point you're monopolizing the thread without really contributing to it.

I've provided plenty. If none of that does it for you, that's fine. If you want to tell us exactly what it is you take issue with in the substance of it, I'd be interested to hear it.

Which part is it that you find so implausible - that these people would have a motive to do something like this, or that they would be able to do it?

Why is this unusual given what we know about politics and propaganda?

Why do you think you have a better understanding of the situation than Frederick Brennan?

Warmachine posted:

people going, "wait that doesn't make sense,"

Which part doesn't make sense.

OwlFancier posted:

an article nobody reads

OwlFancier posted:

The obsession is pointless in every conceviable way.

you have 6 pages of posts in this thread going back two and a half years, repeatedly insisting that it's purely natural and spontaneous, and that even if it isn't that interrogating it is pointless anyway. Is there a point to that?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Why are you even staying here if you get so upset at the slightest pushback? Is this part of your deprogramming hobby

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

you have 6 pages of posts in this thread going back two and a half years, repeatedly insisting that it's purely natural and spontaneous, and that even if it isn't that interrogating it is pointless anyway. Is there a point to that?

It's a form of sense-making. Human nature is to try to infer the character of the things we encounter in the world. Once we have an approximate understanding of a thing we know how to navigate around it and we know what our obligations are to it. We can make predictions about the thing, which makes the future less uncertain, which makes life less stressful.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

So you’re not gonna explain anything then, you’re just gonna continue to be butthurt and paranoid.

Got it.

Please quote the posts you think fit these descriptions.

Here you go

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 5, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Which part doesn't make sense.

I can't be arsed to do this whole thing over again, so here's a copy-paste of my Facebook post that brought me to this thread. It was right around the same time you started posting stuff about Q = Jim.

Me posted:

tl;dr: The evidence is not strong enough to prove Jim Watkins is Q, most of it correlates but does not actually prove a connection. The most likely followup points are from the Tiktok video linked in the above Medium article, but again need more work to prove a connection. I say not guilty.
So I just wasted an hour and fifteen minutes of my life digging through those two articles and their linked sources. Freedom of Mind cites the Medium article as the source for Jim Watkins "being" Q. I walked back through the guy's original article: https://medium.com/@registrarproject17/qanon-is-an-enormous-alternate-reality-game-arg-run-by-malevolent-puppetmasters-27e6b098ce9b
So far, everything linked here traces back to the article I linked, which certainly makes a hypothesis of how Jim Watkins in Q, but doesn't ever actually offer proof. Lets dig into that.
His premises:
1) Jim Watkins owns 8kun - nothing controversial here
2) Q exclusively posts on 8kun - rickety, but close enough. people claiming to be q post elsewhere all the time, but the cult certainly believes 8kun/chan/whatever the gently caress is the sole true source
3) Frederick Brennen worked with Jim and says Jim is Q - assuming everything in this statement is true, why should we believe Brennen? Why would he expose Watkins, and more importantly, would he have a motive to lie?
4) Jim owns the biggest qdrops site - again, nothing controversial
5) The author created a sock puppet to propegate his theory on the chans, and gets blocked by Jim on Twitter - the author admits this is not evidence, and even without that, getting blocked by someone you are harassing takes some galaxy brain mental gymnastics to take this as evidence of guilt
Of all of this, premise 3 is doing the heavy lifting: without Brennen's statement, the rest of this is tantamount to saying that the owner of the Philadelphia Flyers must also be their mascot Gritty based on ownership of the team and getting blocked when you call him Gritty in a DM.
Moving forward to the all-caps article.
The first thing that jumps out at me is the NBC article: https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/how-three-conspiracy-theorists-took-q-sparked-qanon-n900531
It states two moderators and an unrelated Youtuber worked together to signal boost early Q posts. It also says the Patriot Soapbox folks have no verifiable ties to whoever the real Q is. The archived live stream "apparently" showing one of them logging into Q's account is no longer available. So this is a dead end.
On to the premises:
1) Jim is questioned by congress about advancing russian propaganda - uh.... no... he was questioned about allowing hate and inciting speech to be posted on his website. Unfortunately, the only source I could find on the testimony in the time I've given this debunking is The Verge: https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/5/20850791/8chan-hate-speech-delete-jim-watkins-infinitechan-el-paso-shooting-racist-white-supremacist
2) Jim likes Yoga, Q advocated Yoga - I suppose if you tie it to something else that can prove liking Yoga ties you to Q it would be a valid argument, but I've yet to see it. This is grade-school level logic btw.
3) Q drops use Russian infrastructure - This doesn't link Jim to Q at all. I am accepting the statement as factual without verification as it has no baring on Jim = Q. The link the author provides states the Phillipean government worked with Russian government advisors on national security concerns - no relation to Q mentioned.
4) The Tiktok - (IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE OF THIS, READ THIS) FINALLY something that actually constructs an argument and presents evidence. This is the closest thing I've found yet to "proving" Jim = Q, by linking multiple correlations together, providing at the very least motive of driving interest in his website, combined with the correlations between things Jim likes (Yoga, Pens, cryptographic dates) and Q uses (Yoga, Pens, cryptographic dates). It also has the only thing so far that establishes a TEMPORAL connection: The Goldwater.
The strongest link is The Goldwater, since it establishes a temporal connection between Jim, Q, and Qanon theories, establishing that Jim's belief in the theories existed before Q made them... "mainstream." This is good, because if you can establish that something occurred before something else, you're much closer to proving that something CAUSED something else (though this doesn't prove causation in and of itself).
The second strongest link is the cryptographic dates, but the tiktok doesn't establish a temporal relationship: was Jim using it before or after Q's first recorded usage of it? Jim may have adopted it from Q if he is a true believer.
Third is the pens. This would be a smoking gun if we had a pen that was unique to Jim featured in a Q post. Unfortunately, the tiktok does not expand on this.
Yoga is spurious, see 2.
5) Brennen's statements again. Again, I question this source's reliability. Without supporting physical evidence, it is possible that Brennen's statements are lies or speculation based on ulterior motives.
The rest of the article appears to go about connecting Jim to the various other bits of the Russia/Trump conspiracy, which has nothing to do with proving Jim = Q.
So IN CONCLUSION, there isn't enough evidence here to conclusively prove Jim = Q. There's enough to cast suspicion--the pens, The Goldwater, and the cryptographic dates would be excellent points to follow up on. Find a matching, UNIQUE pen and establish Jim was using the cryptography Q uses before Q started posting and you'd pretty much have him.
However none of the other evidence indicts Jim in the slightest. The dude is a loving monster who deserves an ice-pick to the brain, but there is no proof that he is Q.

Apathy420
May 18, 2017

by Cyrano4747
The past ten pages have been nothing but smug gloating about how unbelievably stupid it is to ponder about the origins of Q out loud, how useless it is to try and deradicalize it’s followers, and that nothing matters, actually.

In the past week and a half there have been dozens of worldwide Q rallies, official social media responses to curb the tide of crazy, and Trump giving a wink-nod during a press conference, all of which completely undiscussed because three or four dipshits want the whole thread to know how smart they are for not caring about Q in the Q thread

my take: shut the gently caress up and post on topic

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I can't be arsed to do this whole thing over again, so here's a copy-paste of my Facebook post that brought me to this thread. It was right around the same time you started posting stuff about Q = Jim.

When I say I don't have anything to add, I'm not trying to be sneaky, I mean these people seem to have more information and an understanding of the matter than myself and I'm happy to defer to them for the time being. If the evidence presented there isn't enough for you, I've said that's fine and I'm happy to concede the point. I feel like I've been pretty clear about that.

It doesn't change the thesis. Jim being Q is like the least important part of the puzzle here. My point is that it's the work of an influence agency. It's perfectly consistent with the evidence. My question to you is, which part of that doesn't make sense?

But to answer an actual question:

"why should we believe Brennen? Why would he expose Watkins, and more importantly, would he have a motive to lie?"

Listen to his episode on Behind the Bastards about JW, watch the infinite evil documentary Carnival of Shrews posted, follow him on twitter. I find him to be sincere and credible. He would expose Watkins because Watkins is a prick, it's the right thing, and he feels that after all that's happened it's the least he can do. Would he have a motive to lie? Maybe.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

When I say I don't have anything to add, I'm not trying to be sneaky, I mean these people seem to have more information and an understanding of the matter than myself and I'm happy to defer to them for the time being. If the evidence presented there isn't enough for you, I've said that's fine and I'm happy to concede the point. I feel like I've been pretty clear about that.

It doesn't change the thesis. Jim being Q is like the least important part of the puzzle here. My point is that it's the work of an influence agency. It's perfectly consistent with the evidence. My question to you is, which part of that doesn't make sense?

But to answer an actual question:

"why should we believe Brennen? Why would he expose Watkins, and more importantly, would he have a motive to lie?"

Listen to his episode on Behind the Bastards about JW, watch the infinite evil documentary Carnival of Shrews posted, follow him on twitter. I find him to be sincere and credible. He would expose Watkins because Watkins is a prick, it's the right thing, and he feels that after all that's happened it's the least he can do. Would he have a motive to lie? Maybe.

What do they say? You're literally posting Qanon level 'do your own research, follow the threads!' now. What evidence did you find compelling?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Captain Monkey posted:

What do they say? You're literally posting Qanon level 'do your own research, follow the threads!' now. What evidence did you find compelling?

Qultists look at all 'the evidence' they've consumed and they /can't image/ a plausible explanation for the serendipity of it all, apart from The Narrative. So if your goal is to 'deprogram' a Qultist, having an alternative narrative that accounts for all of 'the evidence' they have consumed PLUS adds additional narrative-relevant information (and hbrings intrigue! and an opportunity to fight for justice!) is an effort to wrest control of their mind from the Consensus Reality hivemind.

If you're trying to stop vulnerable friends from slipping down the 'Rabbit Hole', having a relatively short and satisfying narrative that accounts for what they might encounter while 'doing their own research' can significantly stimy the growth of this virulent and malicious meme.

Shouting down such an effort strikes me as really weird.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 6, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Uglycat posted:

I am directly and openly asking for more information.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Apathy420 posted:

The past ten pages have been nothing but smug gloating about how unbelievably stupid it is to ponder about the origins of Q out loud, how useless it is to try and deradicalize it’s followers, and that nothing matters, actually.

In the past week and a half there have been dozens of worldwide Q rallies, official social media responses to curb the tide of crazy, and Trump giving a wink-nod during a press conference, all of which completely undiscussed because three or four dipshits want the whole thread to know how smart they are for not caring about Q in the Q thread

Nobody is saying that. I think Q is a problem in how much damage it's done, and I don't particularly care if Bucky has a different interpretation of Q's origins. It's his violent, Qultist level resistance to anyone challenging him that is some rather clear evidence of how this is negatively impacting his mental health. The inability to discuss facets of Q without getting upset if you don't agree with his specific origin story is the issue.

Uglycat posted:

Qultists look at all 'the evidence' they've consumed and they /can't image/ a plausible explanation for the serendipity of it all, apart from The Narrative. So if your goal is to 'deprogram' a Qultist, having an alternative narrative that accounts for all of 'the evidence' they have consumed PLUS adds additional narrative-relevant information (and hbrings intrigue! and an opportunity to fight for justice!) is an effort to wrest control of their mind from the Consensus Reality hivemind.

If you're trying to stop vulnerable friends from slipping down the 'Rabbit Hole', having a relatively short and satisfying narrative that accounts for what they might encounter while 'doing their own research' can significantly stimy the growth of this virulent and malicious meme.

I guarantee if anyone came at me like Bucky is I'd be less inclined to believe them. He hasn't offered any evidence his deprogramming strategy works. He posted one random woman (with what I assume is without her consent) who didn't seem too deep in given how easy it was. He didn't have any real evidence other than pulling a Johnathan Frakes "That's false" to every point she brought up. This isn't at all typical and if you look at Bucky's posting in a larger context he's scattered and angrily pushes back against any challenges, meaning I really cock an eyebrow at how good he actually is at this. Qultists will say more overly violent and confrontational things if you challenge their beliefs, meanwhile Bucky asks people to be banned because they said "violently" one time. I'm sorry I don't buy it.

I think he means well, but good intentions with bad method isn't actually healthy and if you want to learn how deprogram conspiracy theorists, I would highly recommend looking elsewhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want a short, satisfying explanation for why the rich are all sex criminals, just say "it's because being rich lets you get away with being a sex criminal, and also all the rich are freaks" because it's simple, factually and intuitively true.

And is also a much better attitude to have than substituting one conspiracy theory for another. Getting someone to believe your conspiracy theory instead of the one you don't like doesn't really seem like an improvement to their mental health or an improvement to the world at large, really.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Apathy420 posted:

How Q could catch on in people is at least as important a question to explore as who is behind Q. The Q phenomenon could be repeated. It's good to explore whether there are ways to inoculate ourselves against stuff like it, and that means exploring how it came to catch on, what its mechanisms and analogues are.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

indiscriminately posted:

How Q could catch on in people is at least as important a question to explore as who is behind Q.

In that interest, I have a document to share. It's a thread from whyweprotest.net, a site started by me and two other goons at the birth of Chanology as a somethingawful-style forum with a moderation policy that was inclusive of channers, goons, gaia users, ex-scientologists, and people from all corners of the internet that were down for destroying scientology. I'm the OP, user 'Consensus', and it's absolutely imperfect (and much will be familiar to readers of this thread), but it was an effort I made a decade ago to answer the very question you're bringing up.

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/on-brainwashing-long.11614/

not to give myself attaboys, but I'm pretty proud of this bit of writing (and the influence it's had) flawed as it is. It's the closest thing I've ever done to an 'effortpost', and it's admittedly a bit unpolished.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 6, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

indiscriminately posted:

How Q could catch on in people is at least as important a question to explore as who is behind Q. The Q phenomenon could be repeated. It's good to explore whether there are ways to inoculate ourselves against stuff like it, and that means exploring how it came to catch on, what its mechanisms and analogues are.
This may have been discussed earlier in the thread and I missed it due to, well, everything, but what I wonder is: How is Q, as a theory/conspiracy narrative in itself, different from (to list the ones I can remember from my lifetime) UFO abduction theories, the stories of the black helicopters, the various 9/11 was a fake with holograms theories, the birther stuff, etc.? It does not seem to be different in its fundamental structure, and what seems to be amplifying it is the mixture of social media becoming as deeply penetrated as it is now, the US President being connected to the movement, and (maybe) some signal boosting from people like RT etc. who want to stir poo poo up to weaken the yanquis.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean a large part of my thesis is that it isn't, it is, as you say, mostly just how social media works, combined with a secular mythology of various nonsense conspiracies of the last hundred years or so and a lot of people with a conspiracy theory mindset.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nessus posted:

This may have been discussed earlier in the thread and I missed it due to, well, everything, but what I wonder is: How is Q, as a theory/conspiracy narrative in itself, different from (to list the ones I can remember from my lifetime) UFO abduction theories, the stories of the black helicopters, the various 9/11 was a fake with holograms theories, the birther stuff, etc.? It does not seem to be different in its fundamental structure, and what seems to be amplifying it is the mixture of social media becoming as deeply penetrated as it is now, the US President being connected to the movement, and (maybe) some signal boosting from people like RT etc. who want to stir poo poo up to weaken the yanquis.

It’s largely built out of elements of those prior conspiracy theories. Not much ufo stuff, but alien abduction was basically about child molestation enabled by the powerful anyway, just like the satanic panic.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I mean a large part of my thesis is that it isn't, it is, as you say, mostly just how social media works, combined with a secular mythology of various nonsense conspiracies of the last hundred years or so and a lot of people with a conspiracy theory mindset.

Yeah it’s not. We’ve had these almost exact same conspiracy theory beats through the entire Middle Ages, it just tended to be aimed toward Jews and Romany people and if it wasn’t adrenochrome, it was stealing blood (Middle Ages) or organs (Victorian era), or semen/eggs (70’s-00’s Alien stuff) or whatever else. This is what (western?) society makes humans afraid of and primes them to believe. That’s why it doesn’t matter one whit whether Roger Stone personally wrote each Q drop, or if it just got capitalized on later.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Nessus posted:

It's also the environment in which Q exists. There's been a sustained attack on expertise and scientific truth, and the idea of "the truth" for a long time in the United States. The US is a country with a reflexive attitude about how any ignorant yahoo's moronic opinion is as good as an educated professional in the field, and this has been amplified by one of the two ruling parties as their policies have become increasingly unmoored from reality. The modern conservative movement is actually extremely post-modern in it's attitude to things like "facts" and "reality" despite their repeatedly decrying deconstructive narratives. The modern media, influenced by a 24 hour newscape is ill-equipped to push back on this sad state of affairs due to the competition for access to journalism. Before 24/7 competitive cable news politicians had to get access to journalists. Now the reverse is true, so if you piss off powerful people enough you get shut out of reporting. Combine this with Fox News (and OANN) craven willingness to push a party line, the death of expertise, and the interpermeable existence of social media and bot amplification and addiction oriented strategies by tech giants, and you've got a very fertile ground in which to grow ludicrous conspiracy theories. No moon, Zapruder, Close Moon, Flat Earth, Lizard Aliens, Satanic Cultists, any of them could've done very well in this environment. There's nothing particularly unique about Q except possibly Donald Trumps unhinged behavior and narcissistic personality disorder combined with early onset dementia and an unhealthy lifestyle and a life of privilege such that the truth rarely intruded - even when he ran his companies into the ground the banks covered him because he was worth more to them solvent, and his falsely affluent image was part of the value of his enterprises, so even when he failed massively he was still enabled to act like a sucesful businessman and jetsetter; this unique pairing is simply a coincedence of fate.

It doesn't require any bond-esque mastermind behind Q, it's a useful way of controlling idiots that they happened upon, like a story about a Jew who wasn't really a carpenter, and people in power have latched on to it and amplified it, as people in history always have, and because both the GoP and Russia want people disassociated from the fundamental facts of reality.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The fact that it incorporates so many other made up fringe ideas is also, I think, evidence of it being organic. Because the way it does this is repeated over and over again, someone in a crank community starts spreading it around in language that community understands (because they came upon it in a language they understood by membership of a different group) and then it evolves and incorporates their ideas into it. And it doesn't matter if it completely contradicts other stuff, it doesn't matter that a bunch of wannabe or actual child molesters on some lovely image board are the originator, it carries the promise of exciting new esoteric knowledge and vindication for everything you have ever believed (but the liberal media say is wrong) and people just go with it.

It's memes for the brain rotted right wing. It's them all talking to each other and repeating back the images and ideas that they've been living in their whole lives and then they all go "wow yeah I also feel that way isn't that amazing it must be loving providence" like no poo poo you feel that way that's called living in a loving society, yes you get the reference, we all get the loving reference. Except instead of laughing and moving on some of them are just going nuts about it it, probably because they were already nuts to begin with and this is their latest fad.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Right, like this isn't new in American history. There was an Anti-Masonic Party really early on and you can probably guess their platform. I believe at their first party convention they nominated a Freemason for president, too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Your options for prevention if you have old and/or crazy people you care about are either ensuring they never get exposed to it or ensuring their contact with it is in such a manner that it does not appeal to them, creating a pre-exisitng bias against it. Otherwise, much like a disease, you should assume they will come in contact with it and they are at a higher risk of a negative outcome if they do.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Apathy420 posted:

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

OwlFancier posted:

If you want a short, satisfying explanation for why the rich are all sex criminals, just say "it's because being rich lets you get away with being a sex criminal, and also all the rich are freaks" because it's simple, factually and intuitively true.

And is also a much better attitude to have than substituting one conspiracy theory for another. Getting someone to believe your conspiracy theory instead of the one you don't like doesn't really seem like an improvement to their mental health or an improvement to the world at large, really.

But not all rich people are sex criminals. And 'simple, factually and intuitively true' needs kicking to the curb. Sometimes the truth is complex, sometimes it's incomplete, and very often, it's emotionally unsatisfying -- ie, the closest we can get to a factually correct explanation of how something happened does not feel 'intuitively true' at all. It absolutely matters whether someone believes Epstein was:

1) An intelligent, manipulative predator who achieved his ends via money, blackmail, and the well-proven tactic of recruiting a female confederate to lure in more victims.
2) Merely one prong of a World Elite Satanic conspiracy to rape, torture, and devour kidnapped children whilst juicing their adrenal glands.

Option 2 is not 'intuitively true'; Option 2 is bullshit. And anyone OK with it circulating because 'the rich are bad, right?' is OK with disinformation propaganda.

It's old now, but the NBC News article on the grifters who turbo-charged the Q movement is still one of the best I've read on the topic, so here it is again:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/how-three-conspiracy-theorists-took-q-sparked-qanon-n900531

Tracy Diaz, Paul Furber, and James Coleman Rogers, the people who pushed Q to mainstream attention via the now-banned r/CBTS_Stream on Reddit (Wayback link) which existed mainly to flip traffic to the Youtube channel of Tracy Diaz, are still milking the Q-cow to this day. I cannot say who precisely started posting as Q on 8chan (as opposed to Q's brief stint on 4chan) , but I am near-certain that at one point, the Q poster was Rogers and his wife, Christina Urso. The periscope vid of him logging in as Q is gone, but here's Rogers spouting on about a Q drop regarding a bike rack in memory of Seth Rich. The only problem is, the post lacks the Q tripcode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbecyoqCm0c

A lot of people posted on 8chan as Q without the tripcode. Coleman Rogers could easily have said 'whoops, I wasn't paying attention there'; instead, he said that Q must have posted the bike rack image without logging in, and that he, James Coleman Rogers, was able to intuitively tell that this was an authentic Q post nonetheless. I don't say 'this proves he was an early Q without a doubt', merely that it makes it probable.

In one way, sure, it doesn't matter exactly who these people are, there are thousands like them. In another, it matters deeply, because:

1) you can otherwise get into a spiral of 'conspiracy theories all the way down', and the notion that QAnon has been a deliberately-cultivated psy op from the start.
2) social media companies have created a powerful, cross-linked disinformation weapon that literally anyone can use, and it turns out that when you combine this cross-linking with gaming search engine results, meme-based propaganda about a Conspiracy of (((Ultimate Evil))) about which you can Educate Yourself by Googling actually works on many, many people.

Statement 2 is far scarier to me than Get Me Roger Stone: Conspiracy Edition.

Carnival of Shrews fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 6, 2020

LachlanJ
Nov 20, 2007

Get out of here O.M.A.R.
I live in Adelaide, Australia, and on Saturday I got caught waiting for a tram in town while the Q protest was happening just nearby. It was extremely upsetting to see how well-attended it was, but I'm not sure everyone was there for the same thing. When they started marching, the main group of protesters seemed pretty happy to let the people screaming into a megaphone about children in paedophile cages walk some distance ahead, on the other side of the road.

I walked a little closer out of morbid curiosity. The crowd was (sit down for this one) overwhelmingly white. Looked like lots of young families with their kids in tow. It seemed like they were carrying mix of anti-vax and anti-mask signage for the most part, but there were more than a few people absolutely decked out in Q paraphernalia. Nothing overtly political on display. Most people watching just seemed kind of baffled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

My de-conversion experiments were not the point. I was asked directly, “what are you going to do about it?” So I answered. Research, write, and publish, to give people a resource. And in the meantime, continue to sound the alarm that this seems to be a deliberate propaganda campaign. I was told that wasn’t going to have any effect. “Lol your idea of praxis is posting. Log off and do something helpful for your community you hack…. I’m saying if you volunteer at a foodbank or homeless shelter you do more good for keeping people away from cults because you set yourself up as someone who is doing more than just screaming into the void”. That was… entirely unprovoked. Why on earth would they react like that? Over something which has absolutely nothing to do with them? Why would they be so insistent in telling someone else how to spend their own time?

So I showed that it had in fact had a positive effect, with a conversation with someone who said she couldn’t sleep because the screams of children were haunting her nightmares. And who now can sleep. The article has now been shared hundreds of times on twitter and FB and racked up 30K views. Again, thank you to those who contributed in one way or another.

Note what happens when someone is confronted with evidence that directly contradicts their narrative. How they double down and deny it and discredit it or desperately try to diminish it. Still now, days later. Instead of just saying ‘huh, ok cool fair enough, one less person posting Q stuff, good to know.’ Think about why that is.

Now note how basically nothing in RA’s post above is true. Note that people have actually said that it’s stupid to wonder. Note that I have been actively encouraging and welcoming challenges, not getting upset or angry let alone violent. Note how when people disagree with me or don't find the evidence compelling, I explicitly say “that’s fine”. Even when my writing is brutally disparaged I say thank you. Note how I have offered evidence. Note how they have been politely asked multiple times to leave me alone, yet talk about consent. Note how I never said they should be banned. Note how even though they say to "look elsewhere", they don’t actually provide anything. Note how they have still failed to provide anything that they have done themselves, despite multiple requests. Also, note that I never said I was an expert or that this was the best way. I'm just some guy happy to share experiences, and I have explicitly asked for other suggestions.

Note how I have agreed that it doesn’t really matter who started it. Note how I have agreed that it doesn’t even matter exactly who it is. My only point is that it does seem to be the work of an agency.

Note how there has been nothing that contradicts that. Note how all attacks on that idea have to blow it up to a “bond-esque” “Dark Lord” super-villain, instead of dealing with the words as presented. Note how it’s called a “conspiracy”, instead of a perfectly predictable part of modern political propaganda. Because “conspiracy” is short hand for something which is by definition untrue, instead of a completely banal fact of life.

None of this is directed at RA. I’m not wasting any more time there. The point is that if there is one thing we’ve learned from all this, it’s that letting maliciously false narratives stand on anonymous internet forums is something we need to be very careful about.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/08/us/politics/rick-gates-psy-group-trump.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 6, 2020