Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I have a personal "No bikes, I will die within a week of getting my license" rule, but god every Ducati I see makes me want to break it. What I'm saying from a place of 0 knowledge is buy the Ducati.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Ducati's pretty, but that generation R1 is such a loving amazing motorcycle, and it'll do 100,000miles with oil changes and a valve adjustment.

It was super comfortable for me to, great frame if you're tall.

Also that MY R1 looks loving amazing, and as good as the Ducs, but I'm probably biased because it's my favorite motorcycle ever.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I just checked the wikipedia page for the R1 and I was surprised to see the brakes are linked on the current generation (but maybe not the 2020 models?), wasn't expecting that on a modern supersport.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

I just checked the wikipedia page for the R1 and I was surprised to see the brakes are linked on the current generation (but maybe not the 2020 models?), wasn't expecting that on a modern supersport.

Isn't that A Thing on some of the cornering ABS modules?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Isn't that A Thing on some of the cornering ABS modules?

yeah at least on the KTMs it is, but since it's all electronic you can switch it off which is nice. by default it's linked on the street / rain modes, but off on the sport / offroad modes as it should be

I'd imagine it's switchable on the yamahas

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
Brought home this 2011 KLR yesterday, thanks for all the advice!

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

hoho`win posted:

CA has come full circle, time to resurrect the KLR thread!
It was on my short list when I got the VStrom.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think I must have missed this little saga. How was all the advice not “don’t get a KLR, get a DR?”

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's hard to appreciate the light without the contrast of darkness. Someone has to get the KLRs and KTMs.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
When you kill the KLR get a KTM.
Worked fine for me so far.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Didn't you have a drz, though? I did the reverse. I brought a KLR back to life, "killed" it by CHICHE circumstances :( , then eventually got a KTM.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Didn't you have a drz, though? I did the reverse. I brought a KLR back to life, "killed" it by CHICHE circumstances :( , then eventually got a KTM.

Yeah, put 25,000mi on it then sent it down river. Had a wr250r for a season too :v:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

hoho`win posted:

What contrasting vehicles.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

hoho`win posted:

What kind of Wh/mi were you getting? 600+? Which hitch did you buy, and did you do the 12V wiring yourself? I'm seriously considering doing this myself.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

What contrasting vehicles.

I mean yeah, it's a miserable turd built by morons but at least he's got a KLR now.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

What kind of Wh/mi were you getting? 600+? Which hitch did you buy, and did you do the 12V wiring yourself? I'm seriously considering doing this myself.

Not sure on wh/mi but my range was cut by 40% or so. I bought a curt hitch on eBay, p/n 13449 upc 612314134496. I did the wiring myself just for brake lights, no turn signals, bought a 4 pin adapter and added some spades. If I planned on towing regularly I would wire correctly.

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018

Coydog posted:

I also resurrected a KLR, but it lived a cursed half-life and didn't like to start when it was cold out. (PO had modified the carb and I didn't want to buy a replacement.) Still looking for a replacement bike.

Also, I almost bought one of these for $1200 last week, but I wasn't the first person to respond to the ad. Would this have been a great plan or a terrible plan?

http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/store/street/razkull.php

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
For a mini, the Razkull is an amazing bang for your buck and a solid bike. I wish I had gotten one of those instead of a grom. Bonus points for ZS190 engines being pretty plug n play, since it's carbed. The 3 gallon tank is just absurd when you consider that the grom and z both have like 1.2 gal tanks or something ridiculous. Having to fill up at 70 miles drove me up the wall, and 3 gallons would have fixed that.

But no, don't buy a mini.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I live in Philadelphia and scooters have a solid presence here. But I'm seeing a whole lot of Groms and equivalent minibikes, hooliganing around lately. Are they better than a scooter in any way? Or is it just the feel of a motorcycle, albait in a small package?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They’re different than scooters. They have manual transmissions usually, beefier suspension etc. it’s more that it’s a motorcycle with the performance envelope of a scooter.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
They are ScooterMotos. ScuMos

Downsides:
-They have the tiny tires that make them twitchy and sketchy, as well as single digit HP numbers.
-No storage (unless you put a top box on)
-Moneypit

Upsides
-Stoppies
-Wheelies (but mostly looping)
-Traffic filtering weapon
-Fun off road (but where you can't stand up and have to constantly worry about bottoming out unlike a proper dualsport)

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SVKlG9Iiak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb1JS4DljYo

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Zack and Ari live dope lives and do dope poo poo. These were the videos that got me thinking "drat, I should get a Grom." I remember watching the second video 5 years ago and wondering WTF it had less than 100k views.

Then I saw a video of some Grom clusterfuck somewhere on the Dragon where a bunch of morons kept piling into each other in corners, some of them forgetting what brakes were and trying to Flintstone their way to a stop. Then I saw people were selling ratted out Groms for MSRP and decided that nah, I really didn't want one after all.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh, make no mistake. Never ride with "grom people". Don't go to their FB groups either. They are the Subaru enthusiasts of the bike world.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
As a new Tesla owner, I have to say that no group could be worse than Tesla owners. Fake kill stories, identical photos of white Model 3s, tons of street racing and the dumbest possible questions. They make the Hayabusa groups of a couple of decades ago look like MacArthur Fellowship winners.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yuns posted:

As a new Tesla owner, I have to say that no group could be worse than Tesla owners. Fake kill stories, identical photos of white Model 3s, tons of street racing and the dumbest possible questions. They make the Hayabusa groups of a couple of decades ago look like MacArthur Fellowship winners.
They're just taking after Tesla's CEO.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I'm thinking about getting a third bike but am probably going to wait until the spring or next summer to buy a leftover 2020 motorcycle. The main 2021 changes seem to be complying with Euro5.

Rationally the KTM 890R would be perfect and would probably replace my little RC390, but I find myself pondering the BMW S1000RR M, the Aprilia RSV4 1100 Factory, Ducati Panigale V4S and the CBR1000RR-R Fireblade SP all 4 of which are expensive as poo poo and make no sense for me. I'm not normally a fan of Honda sportbikes; they lost me years ago with the linked brakes and when they decided that they would be the comfortable and rideable Japanese inline 4 sportbikes. But I have a weak spot for the all the Honda race homologation specials the RC30, NR750, RC45, RC51 (in SP2 trim). The RR-R is not exactly a race homologation special but it's not too far off it either. All the reviews say it makes all its power up high so it's not a great road bike at all and super super pricey but I keep thinking about getting it.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I was going to hold off on this until i bought a house with a garage, but government ineptitude and greed has put a stop to that for the time being.

The XSRs suspension feels pretty poo poo, ok for commuting, but bounces you around like a basketball when the road gets a bit bumpy (subtext: all of England). It also is kinda miserable for motorway riding, and I’d like to be able to go somewhere further afield and not be exhausted before I get there. Additionally, it looks terrible with luggage, but that’s neither here nor there all things considered.

I have two choices in mind:

1) Spend the ££ on a complete suspension replacement, put a flyscreen on the front.

2) trade in the XSR and buy a new Tenere 700 for ££££.

I also considered something like the v-strom 1050 XT in that sweet yellow and blue colourway. Might be nice to have a bike with some bells and whistles. but by the sounds of it it’s a bit flat.

Going to try book a test ride for both.

Any other suggestions on what bikes to look at? Or should I stick with/fix the XSR?

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 6, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Does the XSR700 have the same fork as the MT-07? Supposedly that is also too bouncy. Dave Moss says to shave like 2mm off the spacer and put in heavier oil. I’m not sure how true that is but certainly the cheapest option, if you trust his opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-uiiksWsOs

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The XSR range is a completely different class than Tenere or VStrom. For what it’s worth the T7 is an extremely capable and well regarded/reviewed bike. The Versys 650 LT is also similar and well regarded by Zack/Ari for more touring/street than T7.

Part of why we buy motorcycles is the look and aesthetics of them, I just can’t see cross shopping XSR and T7, just very diametrically opposed.

I assume you have XSR700? For what it’s worth I’ve ridden the coast of California (Bay to LA) with my MT09 which is something like 400+ miles and was mostly alright with just kriega drypacks, although the stock seat definitely was lacking and now that I have comfort seat and some saddle bags that are basically completely untraceable removed coming it would be even better.

I can’t speak to road quality but overhauling suspension to me is like something you’d need to do on basically only riding dirt and gravel roads or something.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Does the XSR700 have the same fork as the MT-07? Supposedly that is also too bouncy. Dave Moss says to shave like 2mm off the spacer and put in heavier oil. I’m not sure how true that is but certainly the cheapest option, if you trust his opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-uiiksWsOs

This guy really puts a bee in my bonnet, I've met him many times and I'm convinced he doesn't have any idea how bikes actually work and just parrots stuff other people have told him.

You can't 'fix' a soggy DR fork by reducing preload and making the damping orifices smaller (effectively what thicker fork oil does). All you'll achieve is slightly slower dive at the price of even crashier, even harsher behavior over small bumps. Shortening the spacer will just make the bike sit slightly lower in the front, which will quicken the steering a tad but is otherwise not here nor there.

Both the changes he recommends and the end result imply someone who doesn't really understand what's going on and isn't that good a rider anyway; the inch wide chicken strips on the ohlins equipped fz-9 he was riding while he was here support this theory for me. poo poo riders seek ever-faster turning bikes, at the expense of stability and rear grip, because they need to do lots of line corrections and aren't fast enough to take advantage of the traction they're throwing away by making the bike excessively steep and front-biased. They seek ever-stiffer forks because they're bad at modulating brake pressure into the corner. They make myriad setup changes in that one-weird-trick way because it's easier than examining your own ability, and so on.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 6, 2020

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

TheBacon posted:

Part of why we buy motorcycles is the look and aesthetics of them, I just can’t see cross shopping XSR and T7, just very diametrically opposed.

Not all riders are the same. Some of us are more function over form.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

pun pundit posted:

Not all riders are the same. Some of us are more function over form.

For sure, but then why get XSR in the first place?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What are you talking about there are loads of functional reasons you would buy an mt-07 with a bunch of dumb hipster poo poo glued on at a greater cost. Like having too heavy a wallet, or excessive dignity.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I like the XSR700 and would buy one over an MT any day. Especially the new ones because the gold wheels are rad.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

the XSRs are such a half-assed approach to the retro look. Everything lower than the tank is 100% super-modern design that's unchanged from the MTs, it doesn't matter how round your headlight is when you have a belly-mounted exhaust

and besides all that, circular LCD gauges are stupid and I hate them

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

FBS posted:

:hai:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

FBS posted:

the XSRs are such a half-assed approach to the retro look. Everything lower than the tank is 100% super-modern design that's unchanged from the MTs, it doesn't matter how round your headlight is when you have a belly-mounted exhaust

Well you could say they're going for more of a Vitpilen thing but the design is way too hodgepodge for that too.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yuns posted:

I'm thinking about getting a third bike but am probably going to wait until the spring or next summer to buy a leftover 2020 motorcycle. The main 2021 changes seem to be complying with Euro5.

Rationally the KTM 890R would be perfect and would probably replace my little RC390, but I find myself pondering the BMW S1000RR M, the Aprilia RSV4 1100 Factory, Ducati Panigale V4S and the CBR1000RR-R Fireblade SP all 4 of which are expensive as poo poo and make no sense for me. I'm not normally a fan of Honda sportbikes; they lost me years ago with the linked brakes and when they decided that they would be the comfortable and rideable Japanese inline 4 sportbikes. But I have a weak spot for the all the Honda race homologation specials the RC30, NR750, RC45, RC51 (in SP2 trim). The RR-R is not exactly a race homologation special but it's not too far off it either. All the reviews say it makes all its power up high so it's not a great road bike at all and super super pricey but I keep thinking about getting it.

I don't have an SP but my normal fireblade is an incredibly good bike. I guess people give Honda poo poo for being less exciting than the other brands, which may be somewhat true, but it is just a really predictable, competent and accurate bike, and apart from the active damping has the same power and tech as the SP. May not be an issue but the fireblade was several thousand cheaper than the V4s.

Panigale looks the best, Aprilia probably the most exciting, Honda the boring competent choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Does the Honda CB 1100 qualify as enough old school under the tank to not fall into the bolt on retro trap?