Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

al-azad posted:

You'd think after the Ion Fury controversy they would be more choosy

they're being choosy. they know exactly what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lemon-Lime posted:

I really wish they'd at least had better level geometry instead of copying the original's extremely limited one. It makes the game look so much worse than it could.

yeah it's definitely a clash

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Lemon-Lime posted:

As someone who replayed SoF 1 and 2 a couple of years back I can tell you that in actual fact neither game is particularly fun or interesting outside of the gore system.

Counterpoint, exploding neo nazis with the microwave gun is actually very fun.

e: What the gently caress's up with these remasters all having the "Reloaded" subtitle? :effort:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

UnknownMercenary posted:

e: What the gently caress's up with these remasters all having the "Reloaded" subtitle? :effort:

It's because guns op

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
If you showed a video for a new Ion Fury episode earlier chat would go sour immediately. It was definitely calculated.

That being said it was a fun weekend and I'm psyched to try out all of the games.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Man forget Kingpin, when will someone remaster Shogo

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

Counterpoint, exploding neo nazis with the microwave gun is actually very fun.

Agreed, SoF games are still fun imo (I kinda prefer 1 to 2). SoF1 MP is fun to play still.

Zeether posted:

You mean make it work properly? If we're at it, let Monolith finish Blood 2 into something playable :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm not crazy, but they said that Graven is supposed to have coop, right? That could be fun.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Guillermus posted:

Agreed, SoF games are still fun imo (I kinda prefer 1 to 2). SoF1 MP is fun to play still.

I haven't tried to play in years but I remember for a while SOF1 MP was just every server having the infinite ammo cvar turned on and everybody runs around with shotguns. :laffo:

I also prefer 1 to 2. 2 just feels weird now, like they tried making a tactical shooter but it's not quite there.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zeether posted:

It would need a complete remake.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
SOF2 has the distinction of being the first shooter--maybe even game?--I played against people, at a LAN cafe near school.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zeether posted:

In Shogo's case I think a Shadow Warrior style reboot would be the better choice, indeed the only thing in common this new version should have with the original is the name and that they're both games about giant robots

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

still waiting for Operation Body Count: Retraced

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

In Shogo's case I think a Shadow Warrior style reboot would be the better choice, indeed the only thing in common this new version should have with the original is the name and that they're both games about giant robots

Yeah I was going to joke quoting him and 'fix' his quote with 'complete DO-OVER'. Same sentiment.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah the painful "90s westerners trying to do anime" part can probably go, but the core concept of an FPS with both on foot and giant robot sections is neat and something that could work in a modern game.

I mean I guess that's just Titanfall. But these are really giant robots. Titanfall is more like mechwarrior combat than gundam.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

And of course the incredible Lithtech 1.0 engine

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah, I could go for that. There are far to few shooters where you jump in and out of a giant robot at will, a fact I've always found baffling. Shogo itself is no good tho, enemy reaction times that make Blood's cultists look reasonable, and I think they're all hitscanners.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the painful "90s westerners trying to do anime" part can probably go, but the core concept of an FPS with both on foot and giant robot sections is neat and something that could work in a modern game.

I mean I guess that's just Titanfall. But these are really giant robots. Titanfall is more like mechwarrior combat than gundam.

I wouldn't dare want the anime aspect gone. you remove that and it's just another rooty tooty bang'n'shooty.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
we really don't need 3d realms anymore

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I don't think Shogo necessarily needs a complete reboot, it's not Blood 2, but doing what it sounds like they're doing with Kingpin, tweaking it to make it less painful to play? Yeah, definitely, it's got some serious rough edges to it. Getting it off the rickety-rear end mess of early Lithtech would probably help a lot. But I'd be cool with a complete reboot too. I quite liked Shogo, and it certainly seems like Monolith does too, given the amount of Shogo stuff you can find in later games.

Looking forward to the Sin remaster, though I'm not sure if I'm sold on the new textures. They look good, but I think I might prefer using the old ones. Lighting looks good though. I wonder how it'll play compared to the original, I really want to like it, but there's something about Sin that just feels slightly off whenever I try it, and I'm not sure what it is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mordja posted:

I'm not crazy, but they said that Graven is supposed to have coop, right? That could be fun.

They did indeed. Brought it up when they talked about tossing potions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

catlord posted:

I don't think Shogo necessarily needs a complete reboot, it's not Blood 2, but doing what it sounds like they're doing with Kingpin, tweaking it to make it less painful to play? Yeah, definitely, it's got some serious rough edges to it. Getting it off the rickety-rear end mess of early Lithtech would probably help a lot. But I'd be cool with a complete reboot too. I quite liked Shogo, and it certainly seems like Monolith does too, given the amount of Shogo stuff you can find in later games.

but it's mostly just... bad.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i would buy a shogo remaster that fixes bugs, rebalances gameplay and expands the maps and systems

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

:gizz:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ETPC posted:

we really don't need 3d realms anymore
3DRealms went out of business in 2014 and the remains were bought by some rich guy who made himself the CEO. It's basically just an investment firm cashing in on the retro-shooter craze.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Volte posted:

3DRealms went out of business in 2014 and the remains were bought by some rich guy who made himself the CEO. It's basically just an investment firm cashing in on the retro-shooter craze.

more accurate to say they're spearheading it, no?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I wouldn't dare want the anime aspect gone. you remove that and it's just another rooty tooty bang'n'shooty.

Oh the anime part can stay, just not the very specific 90s American understanding of anime that was based entirely on the 3 things that had made it over at that point. The "how to draw manga" book style of anime.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Volte posted:

oh yeah i know, this is Interceptor wearing it's skin now

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Rinkles posted:

With what? The only game they've actually released so far is Ion Fury, which seems like it did all right but most opinions (even disregarding the controversy) seem to land on "it's okay, not great". From what I played of it, that's about what I thought of it too. DUSK and Amid Evil have done a lot for setting precedent in terms of successful brand-new retro-style shooters, and the re-releases of actual retro shooters like those by Nightdive is doing a lot of heavy lifting as well. I think the Nintendo Switch should get a shout-out as well, since that seems to be where the new trend of polishing up ancient games and putting them out for current-gen systems began in earnest. I wouldn't really credit 3DRealms in its current incarnation with any of it.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Hasn't Interceptor closed after that not-Commander Keen game that nobody wanted shipped and the studio reformed as Slipgate Ironworks?

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
upon further analysis, it's not even interceptor that owns 3d realms. it's a danish investment firm and frederik is the CCO not the CEO. the ceo is a guy named mike neilsen who apparently got his money from running a distribution firm in denmark for furniture, perfume, games and electronics

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rinkles posted:

they're absolutely not and the quicker people can get around to realizing that and not lionizing what's essentially a dead name being tacked onto something else the better off we'll be

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
if anything, dave oshry is the coke fueled spearhead

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Oh the anime part can stay, just not the very specific 90s American understanding of anime that was based entirely on the 3 things that had made it over at that point. The "how to draw manga" book style of anime.

fart

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ETPC posted:

if anything, dave oshry is the coke fueled spearhead

:hmmyes:

Dave Oshry owns. The guy is pure energy and I love that New Blood exists.

Night Dive and New Blood are my two favourite studios right now. If this new 3D Realms manage to help launch some good retro FPS, they're welcome.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
If someone wants to throw money into the pool to give a bunch of really good modders and musicians salaries to do what they are doing anyway as a job that's cool as hell imo

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly you aren't far off from what I'd want

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Exactly, just like how Turn A Gundam had Syd Mead contribute designs to it, this hypothetical Shogo reboot should get some actual mecha designers from shows like Gundam and Macross to work on it

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

drrockso20 posted:

Exactly, just like how Turn A Gundam had Syd Mead contribute designs to it, this hypothetical Shogo reboot should get some actual mecha designers from shows like Gundam and Macross to work on it

Shogo: Ver. Ka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Shogo: Ver. Ka

Nah not Katoki, I was thinking more along the lines of Kobayashi, Kondo, and Izubuchi as the main one's to try and recruit for this