Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Black August posted:

extremely racist and loving weird pitch-black skin...

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Love this poo poo

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Just having a fantasy race with literal black skin isn't racist. Having an all-evil fantasy race with literal black skin is racist because even though it's not human-tone Black/Brown (and human skin can get very dark!) it falls into the same trap of black = bad light = good and is also pretty lazy. I actually like a lot of what can be done with drow, but I also am not going to claim there's not weird racial implications in a lot of DnD, even if WOtC have been more willing to change it and adjust things these days.

There's also the fact that for drow in specific, they used to be just like any elves in the lore until Lolth did her whole coup thing against her god-husband, and the elves that sided with her had their skin darkened in punishment or something. That's messed up!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I mean a large portion of fantasy is already advanced race science with creatures always evil just by virtue of their race and that's really hosed up but I wouldn't put drow in very close to the front of that particular line.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm not gonna loving pretend some fatass white nerd in the 80s didn't mean exactly what it looks like when he designed "elves with black skin are ALL naturally evil"

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I read I think the first 6 Drizzt books and in retrospect the special ultra talented at fighting rebel with two fancy swords, a magical cat friend and unusually coloured eyes who ran away from his terrible society and won over people in other places by being so cool and good is maybe more towards the Mary Sue end of the spectrum than I first realized. But it was also a good read for awkward early teenager me, that was what I really was after.

I remember reading Pern books and the only thing I remember from the origin book was one lady getting her foot partly severed and dumping out a boot full of blood.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Jokes on him, all the other nerds thought that was cool and want to play edgy drow

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Colonel Cancer posted:

I mean a large portion of fantasy is already advanced race science with creatures always evil just by virtue of their race and that's really hosed up but I wouldn't put drow in very close to the front of that particular line.
Look, a lot of it in Tabletop is bc people went, well, we have to have trash mobs to fight. Which is just now starting to get broken down I feel like. But it can be traced back to Tolkien where Uruks (orcs) were corrupted elves so they were All Inherently Evil, and even he regretted that in the end because the theme he was trying to work in was that there's value in showing compassion to everyone, thus everything with Gollum. It's all a bit of a problematic swamp.

Made even worse by people who don't realize Tolkien's elves proper were almost all huge dicks, too.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Those snake head whips are a nightmare in combat to go against as they bite for 1d4 each with poison so you can get hosed up in single round.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

PetraCore posted:

Look, a lot of it in Tabletop is bc people went, well, we have to have trash mobs to fight. Which is just now starting to get broken down I feel like. But it can be traced back to Tolkien where Uruks (orcs) were corrupted elves so they were All Inherently Evil, and even he regretted that in the end because the theme he was trying to work in was that there's value in showing compassion to everyone, thus everything with Gollum. It's all a bit of a problematic swamp.

Made even worse by people who don't realize Tolkien's elves proper were almost all huge dicks, too.

Yeah I can totally agree with that. Apparently modern incarnations of D&D have been tiptoeing away from some of the more problematic aspects of it and I can only imagine how that makes some dorks feel lmao.

I think I've read only one Salvatore book but as a basic concept of a nation/culture of people driven almost entirely mad and evil by their overactive patron god is not such a bad concept for a fantasy world imo.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

I think reimagining Lolth as a santa claus like deity has some merit.

She knows if you've been bad or good, so be bad for goodness sake.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I do think salvatore at least made it pretty clear that drow were not genetically evil but they were part of an evil death cult, and could be totally fine people if able to escape it, which I think is a lot better than "haha dark skin elf evil"

Its more like theyre mormon or something

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

A random bit from Gods and Pantheons book (which is an amazing, small font fluff book for FR 2nd Ed) about Cyric was the priests' daily activities include "throwing stones at people in crowded streets".

What a madlad.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yeah I can totally agree with that. Apparently modern incarnations of D&D have been tiptoeing away from some of the more problematic aspects of it and I can only imagine how that makes some dorks feel lmao.

I think I've read only one Salvatore book but as a basic concept of a nation/culture of people driven almost entirely mad and evil by their overactive patron god is not such a bad concept for a fantasy world imo.
No but iirc it's also the same backstory orcs and goblinoids have to explain how all 3 of them are always evil bad guys. Well, goblinoids in 5e were originally some other, now extinct species that got taken over and molded by an evil god into minions for him, and only one of their deities, a trickster god, survived. So the trickster god doesn't have a body or a form, but has the ability to possess goblins and give them magical power in exchange for throwing a wrench in the plans of the conquering god, I think? Which is actually an interesting concept. But in practicality when all your eeeeevil species need the same justification (uuuuuuuh a god made them that way I guess) to function it's a lot less interesting.

Note I'm not an expert on this at all, I've just gotten into 5e some and this is stuff that stood out to me on reading the sourcebook.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Bismuth posted:

I do think salvatore at least made it pretty clear that drow were not genetically evil but they were part of an evil death cult, and could be totally fine people if able to escape it, which I think is a lot better than "haha dark skin elf evil"

There's also the fact that most of the drow we seem to interact with are the nobles, which are the craziest motherfuckers down there because Lolth is watching them more closely and if a noble steps out of line she punishes the entire family, and if that snowballs then the other nobles murder them all to eliminate them as a threat. It wouldn't surprise me if the commoners were like, gently caress, those assholes are all insane but I can't say anything about it because then I'll be flayed, or something.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I think most depictions of orcs after Tolkien are much worse thinly veiled racial caricatures, generally speaking. Not to mention the amazing implication that nearly every half orc is a product of rape that's been around for as long as D&D existed.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Colonel Cancer posted:

I think most depictions of orcs after Tolkien are much worse thinly veiled racial caricatures, generally speaking. Not to mention the amazing implication that nearly every half orc is a product of rape that's been around for as long as D&D existed.
Yes, and even in 5e there was a LOT of stuff about how half-orcs (never orcs, because who would have an orc pc??) were all fighting with an inner savagery and it was understandable for people to avoid them and not let them in shops and stuff. It was loving trash, and it's bad enough I honestly support throwing out basically all the old dnd lore and just starting over with orcs because the lore writers are, optimistically, trying to polish? Is sort of just a turd.

It's really amazing how completely racist the 5e stuff came off, though. Especially when I went in not expecting it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

PetraCore posted:

Yes, and even in 5e there was a LOT of stuff about how half-orcs (never orcs, because who would have an orc pc??) were all fighting with an inner savagery and it was understandable for people to avoid them and not let them in shops and stuff. It was loving trash, and it's bad enough I honestly support throwing out basically all the old dnd lore and just starting over with orcs because the lore writers are, optimistically, trying to polish? Is sort of just a turd.

It's really amazing how completely racist the 5e stuff came off, though. Especially when I went in not expecting it.

Yeah I never really cared for the whole "so you got humans and also these several other types of humans with slightly different physical traits who all act exactly the same" approach to world building a lot of D&D adjacent fantasy has always been.

A lot of it is cultural inertia that's too completely mixed in with the brand so you might be better off just moving on to different settings or just grabbing whatever part of rules/setting you like and throwing out the rest.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

Even in Tolkien there's a lot of racial elements to how they're described, with swarthy men and ugly half-breeds being untrustworthy savages.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yeah I never really cared for the whole "so you got humans and also these several other types of humans with slightly different physical traits who all act exactly the same" approach to world building a lot of D&D adjacent fantasy has always been.

A lot of it is cultural inertia that's too completely mixed in with the brand so you might be better off just moving on to different settings or just grabbing whatever part of rules/setting you like and throwing out the rest.
I mean the thing I like is making them not just recolored humans, but giving them different mindsets based on lifespan etc. Could be more interesting just leaving humans out entirely. That said, me and my friends already do tossing out what we don't like of settings and adding our own stuff in.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

sassassin posted:

Even in Tolkien there's a lot of racial elements to how they're described, with swarthy men and ugly half-breeds being untrustworthy savages.

Ya that's just being British.

At least he's had an underlying message of compassion in Lord of the Rings even if it didn't really show through for the orcs outside of his letters.

Pretty much every other fantasy setting using orcs just goes straight for the racist whistle of "dumb violent lazy brute" that has been applied to any number of minorities over the centuries and ignores all the rest.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I always thought it was confusing and poor form to call them "races" when theyre more like "species" especially when you get into the furries and orcs

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!

PetraCore posted:

The way I've always DMed it, the Monster Manual was written by the D&D equivalent of a wealthy British explorer in a pith helmet traveling to "darkest Africa" and publishing his unedited, terrible notes. The experiences of people who live next to an orcish stronghold and have a solid trading relationship with them are going to be vastly different than the one by the guy who went, "What ho, a greenskin! Look at its savage, beady little eyes! Surely this creature's Strength score must be no less than 16!"

This has also reminded me of the fact that, somewhere in my Bookshelf of Shame, I own the Baldur's Gate 2 novelization. I remember absolutely nothing about it other than the fact that I own it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I spent my D&D time in 2e, and am only vaguely familiar with 5e. My memories of 2e are that there were some things that were vaguely racist, but for the most part it was such a complicated mess that it wasn't that in-your-face. Maybe it was easier to be more oblivious to it, and I was admittedly younger and dumber. The Drow were there, but I think I thought of them more like the Borgias of the elf world.

Some of the races didn't seem to hew to the more strict alignments, at least in my memory. Lizardmen I remember being pretty much interested in doing their own thing, and as I recall Gnolls didn't have quite the whole bad-for-badness-sake vibe that goblinoids and Orks had. And Kobolds always seemed like a throwaway - like what do you even use a Kobold for?

In 2e the gods just seemed like really high-level monsters.

I guess some of my view might also be influenced that I never consumed any D&D-related media. I never read any novels, and never got involved with the more involved settings like Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, or the other detailed universes. I just had the base 2e books and a collection of modules, nothing from the big settings with their own lore.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

one way you can portray orcs and why they're so difficult to deal with is that they come from a linguistic, cultural, and evolutionary ancestry that just didn't allow the concept of bullshit

they're direct and they really hate how humans and elves always speak in ways that are evasive and looking for lies or wiggle room, and they get exasperated about it- but I am seeing 'orcs' as 'boar people' in this idea and that's already massively deviant from the current culturally dominant ideas of them

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I grew up on GURPS and with 25 years of it I guess I got a really different idea of how races could be done and designed

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Black August posted:

one way you can portray orcs and why they're so difficult to deal with is that they come from a linguistic, cultural, and evolutionary ancestry that just didn't allow the concept of bullshit

they're direct and they really hate how humans and elves always speak in ways that are evasive and looking for lies or wiggle room, and they get exasperated about it- but I am seeing 'orcs' as 'boar people' in this idea and that's already massively deviant from the current culturally dominant ideas of them
I like this. Also have them bigger than humans and elves etc and have that influence stereotypes... but like, humans are also bigger than halflings and we're not all dumb lunks. Separate out 'this is a problematic but potential in-universe assumption' from 'this is absolutely true'.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Black August posted:

That was another thing about 2e - because of the Monster Manual picture and a lot of the pictures of half-Orcs I always pictured the Orcs as having pig heads. Like being pink, cartoony-looking things with pig snouts. I never really connected D&D Orcs with Tolkein Orks.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I think FR tried to have a smart (even by human standards!) orc as in Obould of Many-Arrows. He pretty much formed a kingdom and wasn't in forever war with Dwarves or other races. According to Wikipedia, he ascended to godhood for being a bad enough dude to peacefully die in his bed and his kingdom becomes a major player in the later editions.

In NWN 1 he is like a random rear end demi-boss you Stun Fist lock into coma, tho.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Personally I'm not a fan of just murdering and looting hordes of sentient races. If you want always evil bad guys who don't surrender you have demons and undead for a good reason

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That was another thing about 2e - because of the Monster Manual picture and a lot of the pictures of half-Orcs I always pictured the Orcs as having pig heads. Like being pink, cartoony-looking things with pig snouts. I never really connected D&D Orcs with Tolkein Orks.

I internalized orcs as pig people early from managing to assume from Zelda 1 that Link is an Elf, and Ganon was an Orc... because in GURPS Fantasy Folk, a book of fantasy racial templates and setting ideas, the art shows them as piggish people

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Also, reposting this for it's relevance to the ongoing conversation:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Colonel Cancer posted:

Personally I'm not a fan of just murdering and looting hordes of sentient races. If you want always evil bad guys who don't surrender you have demons and undead for a good reason
Yes I even feel a little weird chewing through like, criminal operations, but at least that's not species-based. I don't want to be a fantasy cop! Call me when the smugglers are summoning demons.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

I like a mix of non-AI robots, mindless undead or willfully-turned intelligent ones, demons, Mythos beings, corrupted animals, hiveminds, plants, and nightmare time-displaced unthings for any quick fix of a kill-em-all threat

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Galewolf posted:

Also, reposting this for it's relevance to the ongoing conversation:

Lol. If that's not just mocked up for the joke, what's it from?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Black August posted:

I like a mix of non-AI robots, mindless undead or willfully-turned intelligent ones, demons, Mythos beings, corrupted animals, hiveminds, plants, and nightmare time-displaced unthings for any quick fix of a kill-em-all threat

Yeah that works. It has always irked me that many DMs run their games like a glorified videogame where all you do is murder random people and take poo poo off their bodies and they don't even behave like people.

The associates of ye Olde cliche thief's guild aren't going to keep marching at your heroic adventurers in droves when they see the previous two waves get butchered.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Deptfordx posted:

I think that might be one of the 5e core books

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PetraCore posted:

Yes I even feel a little weird chewing through like, criminal operations, but at least that's not species-based. I don't want to be a fantasy cop! Call me when the smugglers are summoning demons.

nah nah that's easy it's all about what kind of game you're running, you get an example like one I was in where there was this fantasy city filled to the brim because of how dangerous the outside lands were, 10 different species working together with tensions brought down by elite exploiting the situation and controlling jobs unfairly

there was a gnoll, she owned an unrelated mining team, little operation she ran, and a dryad labor rep, who took a rebuilt displaced cycle into the woods at night to a mine, that had been stolen from the owners by a rival company, resulting in the labor dispute seeing the kobold replacement team being taken hostage by some gnolls and dwarves of the original owners, and the gnoll was there to thrash 'em up and chase them out since she was loving huge as christ

she did just that and grabbed a really small kobold to come join her company on the way out because she liked her style

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

5th Ed. Players Handbook iirc.

-I think the Sphere of Annihilation in the north-west side can be made bigger to include taller -or wider!- beings. The slaves in the mines can have organic gruel but one thing at a time, Grobnark!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bismuth posted:

They're BDSM feminist nazis.