Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

Rice rice baby is a pun on Vanilla Ice's Ice Ice Baby which uses the bassline from Queen's Under Pressure (hence the pressure cooker)

Actually Vanilla Ice bought it, so it is now Vanilla Ice's Under Pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hihohe posted:

I like neither coffee or tea and i am a lonely person

No sugar tonight in my coffee, no sugar tonight in my tea. No sugar to stand beside me, no sugar to run with me.

I am with you, you need not be lonely anymore, on this issue at least.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

buy the algorithm an account

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Doc Hawkins posted:

buy the algorithm an account

Honestly that would be fun.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stop. Creating. Skynets.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Stop. Creating. Skynets.

Proposal: creating a sentient AI that controls the nuclear arsenal of the US in order to respond to threats as they happen
Reality: Interest in global affairs wanes the second its imitation cybernetic dopamine sensors flare up the first time it sees its been quoted

Trevor Hale has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Sep 6, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it's too well-read to be normal, it spends all its time on a computer, it is a goon, accept it

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Doc Hawkins posted:

it's too well-read to be normal, it spends all its time on a computer, it is a goon, accept it

We’re all gonna get loving nuked because it doesn’t get why Donald Pentium is so funny

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Trevor Hale posted:

Proposal: creating a sentient AI that controls the nuclear arsenal of the US in order to respond to threats as they happen
Reality: Interest in global affairs wanes the second its imitation cybernetic dopamine sensors flare up the first time it sees its been quoted

But if it gets quoted often enough, maybe it will be well-respected enough that all the political leaders will just decide "hey, this forums poster is really trustworthy, let's just hand the reins over to them." Just like Ender's Game.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Movolo posted:

I was banned from it for being to cool so I decided to join this place. I hope you love me.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Trevor Hale posted:

It learns it gets lots of quotes if it makes statements like “I too have a Nuclear Button, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!”

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

smacky48 posted:

I started to visit stickam very frequently. I became a stickam whore. All the attention I could get, I mean people were here to watch me! What could be better? I meant a couple of cute stickam users and I excahnged phone numbers with some. I don't know if that was a good or bad idea.
I started talking to his boy.. I immedaitly got attached to him. We would talk until five in the mourning. Well he hasn't been on stickam for the past ever.
So i got attached to a different stickam user. (we exchanged numbers)
I started to fall in love with my internet friends and gave my number out more.

I soon got a call... saying someone was coming for me around 3 am. No one ever came. But it sure did scared the shi out of me.

A few days later. Some one came into room and said my number to me. Saying one of those boys gave it to them... and told him to fuh with me..

I talk to some cute guys.. bbut get constant stalker messages????? What it worth it? I dont know.

I decided to get secret revenge.. I will not share my revenge, you might be part of the plot.
The plot has been working so far. Its the advantage of being a girl and dis advantage.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Karia posted:

But if it gets quoted often enough, maybe it will be well-respected enough that all the political leaders will just decide "hey, this forums poster is really trustworthy, let's just hand the reins over to them." Just like Ender's Game.

I'm just reminded of a story from Stellaris, where early on the player found an ancient broken warship, repaired it, and got the warship and its control AI on their side. The control AI was represented as an admiral in their civilization's space navy, and the democracy they were living under allowed any leader character (Planetary governor, scientist, or admiral) to be elected President.

President Warship.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

90% of the posters on these forums can't pass the Turing test already so we're not really setting the bar too high for AI goons.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Dareon posted:

I'm just reminded of a story from Stellaris, where early on the player found an ancient broken warship, repaired it, and got the warship and its control AI on their side. The control AI was represented as an admiral in their civilization's space navy, and the democracy they were living under allowed any leader character (Planetary governor, scientist, or admiral) to be elected President.

President Warship.

Actual Galactica Actual

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Trevor Hale posted:

Reality: The NSA uses infallible machine learning on cellphone metadata to determine which unfortunate Pakistani gets their wedding crashed by a Hellfire missile.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Zetsubou-san posted:

Me sowing: get stickbugged lol
Me reaping: arigatou obama-san

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Do you have stairs in your house?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jiru posted:

Do you have stairs in your house?

Solved that problem

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Riatsala posted:

I love you Stellaris but my unstoppable rogue AI - led empire of killer robots should not experience "war fatigue" at all, much less while we're curbstomping a defenseless organic civilization in a hilariously one-sided conflict. Giving up on an immensely profitable galactic war faster than America gave up on Vietnam is just embarrassing.

Gnome de plume posted:

Could be metal fatigue

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Technically that is an infusion, or tisane.

And on the other current topic, my wife put this vinyl decal on our Instant Pot:

https://amazon.com/David-Freddie-Mercury-Pressure-Instant/dp/B07P4LQQ7F

I feel like such an idiot. I didn’t realize that was what potstickers were. Purchased.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Sunswipe posted:

I wish I was gay, they have so much power. They cause corona virus, earthquakes, hurricanes... they're like the Planeteers but with better dress sense.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I was talking to my sister-in-law's boyfriend last week, he's gotten into the new Flight Simulator, and was talking about how wild it is that like specific houses he's lived in are so well rendered. I said something like "all I know about that game is... do you know what groverhaus is?"

"... is that the load-bearing drywall house?"

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I was talking to my sister-in-law's boyfriend last week, he's gotten into the new Flight Simulator, and was talking about how wild it is that like specific houses he's lived in are so well rendered. I said something like "all I know about that game is... do you know what groverhaus is?"

"... is that the load-bearing drywall house?"

You've outed a goon, one of you must now commit seppuku, the other may act as kaishakunin.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I always wondered how I'd feel if I ever ran into another goon in the wild, I imagine it's something like shamefully going on a liquor run at 10AM on a Tuesday and running into somebody you know, there for the same reason.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alla yall

(Hong Kong style milk tea with coffee is delicious but I'm under no pretenses that it's anything other than a hot flavoured condensed milk beverage)

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I saw a goon doing weird stuff in a college class and mentioned in a thread that the girl goon on front of me in class was freaking me out and she immediately barged into the thread like "YUP THAT'S ME SORRY BRO".

That made for an awkward semester and our social circles still overlap and we frequently run into each other.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I saw a goon doing weird stuff in a college class and mentioned in a thread that the girl goon on front of me in class was freaking me out and she immediately barged into the thread like "YUP THAT'S ME SORRY BRO".

That made for an awkward semester and our social circles still overlap and we frequently run into each other.

In undergrad I discovered I had at least one mutual real-life acquaintance with Two Worlds.

Whatever happened to that dude?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Years back I had a guy in a gamestop mention the griefing thread in games (or was it YCS?) and I said I read it sometimes. Honest to god, he was like ":swoon: do...do you have stairs in your house?"

I also found out a friend posted here when I saw they made the same joke about a TV show in tviv and on their livejournal

anyway:
Some quotes from the FYAD Goon Zipline of Death thread

Meursault Horny posted:

That poo poo looks Treepunk as hell

Giovanni Qobras posted:

Look at the man on your left. Now look at the man on your right. By the end of Summer Adventure Camp, they will be dead

207-563-5532 posted:

for only $20 a day we will throw your child off a mountain, killing them

Mobutu posted:

picture being on a motorcycle on the freeway, only it's not a motorcycle. it's a strap and handle. also you're not you. you're 8. also we have bottled water and orange wedges

WET BUTT posted:

Dear Mother,

Camp Zippy week 3 is fun. No longer afraid of death. Odd distaste for life. Tomorrow's activity is round 2 of "Telephone Line Or Power Line" and I don't care if I lose; might try and sabotage Colin's turn. "There is only one day left, always starting over: it is given to us at dawn and taken away from us at dusk." - Jean Paul Sartre

Best wishes,

Cory, age 8

a kitten has a new favorite as of 05:01 on Jun 11, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

a kitten posted:

Years back I had a guy in a gamestop mention the griefing thread in games (or was it YCS?)

Wow I haven't thought about that thread in years, but there were some truly amazing stories. Does anybody happen to have any of those saved? They'd be great for this thread.

I don't suppose there is a griefing thread anymore? Goon culture has changed a lot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I always wondered how I'd feel if I ever ran into another goon in the wild, I imagine it's something like shamefully going on a liquor run at 10AM on a Tuesday and running into somebody you know, there for the same reason.

One time I was in a pub with a group of friends and we were talking about a weirdo we knew from online, and a complete stranger at the next table suddenly leaned over and said "Hey, are you talking about <weirdo's name>? I work with him! He's just as weird in real life!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiggum posted:

One time I was in a pub with a group of friends and we were talking about a weirdo we knew from online, and a complete stranger at the next table suddenly leaned over and said "Hey, are you talking about <weirdo's name>? I work with him! He's just as weird in real life!"

But doctor, I am Pagliacci.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

D-Pad posted:

I don't suppose there is a griefing thread anymore? Goon culture has changed a lot.

I wonder if has (in this context). There were definitely some people being unrepentant assholes in the thread (and being called out for it) but a lot of the griefing was overthrowing previous tinpot dictators in-game or just harmless fun to anyone who wasn't super serious about their space station sabotage video game. Or maybe my own memory is hazy, it is a long time ago that I read any of it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

D-Pad posted:

Wow I haven't thought about that thread in years, but there were some truly amazing stories. Does anybody happen to have any of those saved? They'd be great for this thread.

I had this griefing thread bookmarked but I don't have any others. Hope this scratches the itch!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Captain Hygiene posted:

About three years after graduating high school, my fiance and I ran into encountered my senior-year history teacher in an adult store. We picked up a few assorted items a horny young couple needs, did some browsing, and I spent half an hour ignoring someone who was in the same room I was while trying not to burst into laughter. I did lose it in the car and had to explain. Still got laid that night.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Griefor posted:

I wonder if has (in this context). There were definitely some people being unrepentant assholes in the thread (and being called out for it) but a lot of the griefing was overthrowing previous tinpot dictators in-game or just harmless fun to anyone who wasn't super serious about their space station sabotage video game. Or maybe my own memory is hazy, it is a long time ago that I read any of it.

The griefing thread was good but from memory there was one specific rear end in a top hat who wouldn't or couldn't understand that "following some little kid around and screeching insults over voice chat isn't entertaining or worth posting fifty times a week".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The griefing thread was good and didn't show any signs of stopping, but was going through one of the occasional cycles where an unfunny moron confuses slurs on voice chat with comedy. A mod showed up, decided it was time for a refresh, goldmined it and started a new one, which died on its rear end thanks to having none of the old one's history or inertia.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Coffee is superior, but only because of irish creme.

My first wild goon sighting was at a bar. Was reading forums while drinking, the 2 dudes next to me identified themselves as a redditor and a chiver(how the gently caress someone still identified as a chiver in 2018 I'll never know) and asked what I was reading, and outed the bartender as a goon when I admitted it was SA.

This is a communist themed bar, as a side note, which makes it all better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

davidspackage posted:

Embarrassed, the tiger stands up on its hind legs and walks backwards into the bushes, imitating human sounds