Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Shadow Tower Abyss is the fastest playing of all the Kings Field games, and also incredibly strange.
To name a few strange mechanics:
All Equipment gives you stat bonuses, which is where the majority of your stats will come from.
However, equipment also has durability, and the bonuses scale to that durability.
Now you can repair your equipment at certain stations, but the currency for that is your own HP. This is a problem since healing is relatively scarce in the game.
However the other side to this is that you can sacrifice an item to heal yourself.

On the plus side the game never really stops giving you equipment so you are almost never without something to protect yourself.

It's kind of a survival horror game in a fantasy dungeon, sort of. Eventually you'll have enough potions and junk to trade for them that the durability mechanic becomes easy to ignore, at least for the gear you care about, but between then and the beginning of the game...

E: Update at bottom of previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A roguelite.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shadow Tower Abyss is the fastest playing of all the Kings Field games, and also incredibly strange.
All Equipment gives you stat bonuses, which is where the majority of your stats will come from.
However, equipment also has durability, and the bonuses scale to that durability.
Now you can repair your equipment at certain stations, but the currency for that is your own HP. This is a problem since healing is relatively scarce in the game.
However the other side to this is that you can sacrifice an item to heal yourself.

On the plus side the game never really stops giving you equipment so you are almost never without something to protect yourself.

This sounds suspiciously like the first game, though that isn't really a complaint either. :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Yeah that's right, I'm double posting again, for more insanity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7gY1ANbt4

In retrospect I should have known the creature glossary would come in handy, but I admit I didn't expect it to include NPCs, including descriptions of how they're huge jerks who I should stab.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Might as well pump up defense and strength so you can keep up with the massive gaps in enemy damage numbers.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

it also has modern day guns which are extremely powerful.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Roobanguy posted:

it also has modern day guns which are extremely powerful.

Now that bit sounds extremely handy. I could have used that against these stupid wheel guys...

Speaking of, we're back with another two-fer! And finally caught back up with ourselves, merely a few hours between recording and posting instead of several days-ish. Because I'm a professional. :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajBwutySz9g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR33LEASAuA

I'm really enjoying how basically every enemy encounter is turning into an inexplicable wave of horror and other related emotions. This game is weird, y'all.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

Now that bit sounds extremely handy. I could have used that against these stupid wheel guys...

Speaking of, we're back with another two-fer! And finally caught back up with ourselves, merely a few hours between recording and posting instead of several days-ish. Because I'm a professional. :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajBwutySz9g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR33LEASAuA

I'm really enjoying how basically every enemy encounter is turning into an inexplicable wave of horror and other related emotions. This game is weird, y'all.

Agreed. Everything is so out of sorts with what we've done already with the KF games. That and it bring totally obtuse doesn't help.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Don't know if you found out, but feathers teleport you to save points.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

Don't know if you found out, but feathers teleport you to save points.

Yeah, haven’t had a chance to really use one yet, but I figured that out from the item descriptions. Got part 6 coming up soon, though apparently we’re way further in the game than we’re supposed to be at this strength level. My addiction to making tangible progress is biting me in the rear end. :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was wrong about strength, it only increases your health. Pumping up defense for a few videos may help. Don't know how you can be out of your depth when killing every enemy increases your stats.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

I was wrong about strength, it only increases your health. Pumping up defense for a few videos may help. Don't know how you can be out of your depth when killing every enemy increases your stats.

Lack of adequate preparation, for one. Lack of geospatial awareness, for another. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC1Qr948B_s

I think some backtracking may be needed to make sure I don't die quite as horribly, and also manage to do some real damage.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

Lack of adequate preparation, for one. Lack of geospatial awareness, for another. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC1Qr948B_s

I think some backtracking may be needed to make sure I don't die quite as horribly, and also manage to do some real damage.

I'm honestly not certain HOW we're going to backtrack, seeing as half our advancement came from throwing ourselves off of ledges in the Shadow Tower...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Everything has massive magic resistance and your weapons are the most brittle things I have seen in a game.
When you get that amulet again, just abuse its healing factor with the silent sword and stop recording.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 20, 2020

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

This looks like the most frustrating and tedious From game yet and that's saying something

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

Everything has massive magic resistance and your weapons are the most brittle things I have seen in a game.
When you get that amulet again, just abuse its healing factor with the silent sword and stop recording.

Yeah that would kind of make sense, though it was only healing up to half. Didn't get it back this time through, however we actually managed to accomplish a few things this time, huzzah! One more boss down. :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywx17NHQZ1E

Tech note: I just noticed that what little audio there is in the game has been really quiet the last two episodes, so I'll get that adjusted for the next one. Always some kind of audio problem or another when we do these things. :v:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

UnSmith posted:

This looks like the most frustrating and tedious From game yet and that's saying something

:hmmyes:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

UnSmith posted:

It’s really a pretty mean game. I’m enjoying it more than I’m letting on but this thing is obtuse in a way that puts Demon’s Souls to shame.

I recently read an interview with Hidetaka Miyazaki where he talked about getting put in charge of Demon’s because it was basically a garbage project turning out poorly, so nobody cared what he did with it, and it makes me wonder just how cruel that game was before it got finished up under a new director.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I want you to finish the game, so I wouldn't want you to buy the expensive stuff from snake lady. Get all the Healing potions she sells and fix your stuff.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

I want you to finish the game, so I wouldn't want you to buy the expensive stuff from snake lady. Get all the Healing potions she sells and fix your stuff.

Yeah I’m trying to remember where in the hell the nearest repair goon is. Am I wrong in thinking that health potions are grindable or is there something non-random going on here too?

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Dewgy posted:

It’s really a pretty mean game. I’m enjoying it more than I’m letting on but this thing is obtuse in a way that puts Demon’s Souls to shame.

I recently read an interview with Hidetaka Miyazaki where he talked about getting put in charge of Demon’s because it was basically a garbage project turning out poorly, so nobody cared what he did with it, and it makes me wonder just how cruel that game was before it got finished up under a new director.

Oo, I'll have to find that interview. Demon's Souls was the first From game I ever bought, and it felt like just the right balance of challenge and reward. This just looks...mean. I am really impressed with what they managed to fit into a PS1 game though.

I am a serious From fanboy, but I'd rip this game CD in two.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
According to a guide, you are at the very end of the game. It looks like you skipped a good bit of content as well.

edit: I think you broke the game or the guides are wrong. That mouth in the void should not have opened at all.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 24, 2020

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Scalding Coffee posted:

According to a guide, you are at the very end of the game. It looks like you skipped a good bit of content as well.

edit: I think you broke the game or the guides are wrong. That mouth in the void should not have opened at all.

Well, it did just dump us back out, so....maybe both?

Also, I cheated a bit and we talked off-camera about having to backtrack because we jumped past a bunch of bosses. This game is dense as gently caress when it comes to any direction

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
It's only appropriate that the game's dense as gently caress, because so are we. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdPV9MsOe38

I really like how most of the stuff we're progressing on right now is based on the logic of "do the stupid thing that you were pretty sure was going to get you killed the last time you were here".

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

It's only appropriate that the game's dense as gently caress, because so are we. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdPV9MsOe38

I really like how most of the stuff we're progressing on right now is based on the logic of "do the stupid thing that you were pretty sure was going to get you killed the last time you were here".

...but enough about every From Software game ever :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What is SP for?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

What is SP for?

SP looks like it’s the total count of all the stat ups, so there’s freely assignable SP and then points I just seem to be getting through random effort. Not sure why it has a max cap, but when it comes to this game there is a lot that I’m not sure of, haha.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013
There are no random stat ups, every enemy you kill gives you some of the various stats, you can check that in the bestiary.
The number is supposed to be the sum of all the points of the demons in-game, but it's off by some amount (can't remember the precise number).

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BrokenLink posted:

There are no random stat ups, every enemy you kill gives you some of the various stats, you can check that in the bestiary.
The number is supposed to be the sum of all the points of the demons in-game, but it's off by some amount (can't remember the precise number).

That's actually really helpful! Turns out it doesn't tell you what actually gets leveled up, but I guess that this means that a max level character is going to be the same no matter what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puvs4Z7ESII

Sorry for the late upload here, last time we did this section I forgot to hit record, then I got real sick and my mom broke her leg. It's been... a week. :v:

Audio note! This video's a lot louder, and it turns out OBS has been arbitrarily limiting my volume output for reasons mortal minds were not meant to comprehend. Additional apologies to anyone watching through this as a playlist. :tviv:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

That's actually really helpful! Turns out it doesn't tell you what actually gets leveled up, but I guess that this means that a max level character is going to be the same no matter what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puvs4Z7ESII

Sorry for the late upload here, last time we did this section I forgot to hit record, then I got real sick and my mom broke her leg. It's been... a week. :v:

Audio note! This video's a lot louder, and it turns out OBS has been arbitrarily limiting my volume output for reasons mortal minds were not meant to comprehend. Additional apologies to anyone watching through this as a playlist. :tviv:

Well, the upside is you'll be able too year it without a problem!

The downside is you might not be able to hear anything else.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If you can get five digit health, you may as well buff strength and be effectively immortal.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013
Some helpful tips, if you press the triangle (or whatever you have set as triangle) in the menu, it brings up a game stats page, and then if you press r1 on that page it will give you a chart of all the worlds with percentages for the enemies in each area.
In the equip info menu holding triangle gives the current durability for each item and if you use the x key on each item it will give a more detailed explanation, if you press the r1 button here it allows you to compare the stat changes between each piece of equipment.
The five slots at the bottom are quick items slots, you can put keys and potions here to speed things up.
To use the quick items you press the circle button to open the interface, the triangle button moves you and the square moves left, you press x to use it.
In the creature book, when you are reading an entry, if you press r1 it will show you the stats the monster gives when you kill it.
If you put weapons or shields in the reserve slots you can swap them with a quick button press of x then square for shields, or x then triangle for weapons.
Sorry if this is a bit much, just trying to make things easier.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 7, 2020

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

:vince:

BrokenLink posted:

Some helpful tips, if you press the triangle (or whatever you have set as triangle) in the menu, it brings up a game stats page, and then if you press r1 on that page it will give you a chart of all the worlds with percentages for the enemies in each area.
In the equip info menu holding triangle gives the current durability for each item and if you use the x key on each item it will give a more detailed explanation, if you press the r1 button here it allows you to compare the stat changes between each piece of equipment.
The five slots at the bottom are quick items slots, you can put keys and potions here to speed things up.
To use the quick items you press the circle button to open the interface, the triangle button moves you and the square moves left, you press x to use it.
In the creature book, when you are reading an entry, if you press r1 it will show you the stats the monster gives when you kill it.
If you put weapons or shields in the reserve slots you can swap them with a quick button press of x then square for shields, or x then triangle for weapons.
Sorry if this is a bit much, just trying to make things easier.

This is all extremely helpful info! I knew about the reserve weapon system, which has definitely come in handy, but for the rest unfortunately it's all the kind of stuff to keep in mind for a replay, because... well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTgxI_cVR1M

Turns out that in proper From PS1 fashion, with enough heals stacked up you can tank your way through anything. :getin:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

:frogc00l: That's loving great!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
We have a bow and we wish to use it.
Another game where we become king in the end.

I am guessing that one shrieking room that murdered you is progress gated?

Here is the plot of the game:
The game is set on the continent of Eclipse, in the Holy Land of Zeptar. The player takes the role of a mercenary named Ruus Hardy. Returning home to Zeptar, he finds that the entire city, as well as the central tower, have been sucked into the underworld. He meets an old man who gives him the Dark One's sword, the only weapon which can injure the demons responsible. Swearing to rescue the old woman who raised him, as well as the rest of Zeptar, Ruus descends into the underworld.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I think we eventually figured out the shrieking room was full of invisible enemies, until we crammed that dragon thing into the pedestal. Then it was...eyeball slugs. :gonk:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
And we're back from the dead! Bringing you King's Field: The Ancient City, where for once we're not playing as the immediate descendent or friend of the last game's protagonist. (Or maybe we are, I wholly expect someone with more knowledge of series lore to correct me on that. :v:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-t051FK0mE

A quick heads up, the audio mix is a little screwed because once again I made major changes to the recording setup, and also I'm an idiot! Will be fixed next week, and maybe I'll do something about those weird texture glitches too. First impressions are very positive so far, for me anyway, this is really starting to fit the proto-Dark Souls mold in environment detail and polish.

Absolutely no idea where we're going, which also fits right in with the theme. :haw:

We'll be doing this game weekly because my schedule is way more packed right now than I expected and might be doing some livestreams of Armored Core too, so I'll link to that when we manage to work out the kinks and when I'm not too tired to handle it.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

And we're back from the dead! Bringing you King's Field: The Ancient City, where for once we're not playing as the immediate descendent or friend of the last game's protagonist. (Or maybe we are, I wholly expect someone with more knowledge of series lore to correct me on that. :v:)
:hellyeah: this is my favorite of the King's Field games, I really like the atmosphere in this one. I was actually replaying it a bit yesterday so this is some great timing.

Dewgy posted:

and might be doing some livestreams of Armored Core too
:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Gotta get started with those at some point :v: