Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Malcolm XML posted:

They simply don't care as long as fortnite works or they are too poor and thus don't matter economically as long as you can get brand loyalty if they ever have enough $ to buy a profitable card

You say that, and yet the best selling cards for the last several generations have been the "upper 1080p class" cards like the 1060, and it's been the segment that AMD has lived in for years. Clearly there is a large segment of people who still utilize 1080p but would prefer not to putter along on integrated graphics, but also not want to splash out $500+ for a card.

e; I mean, let me reiterate: that's the market that has largely kept AMD from going bankrupt prior to their breakout with Zen. It's not the most profit-per-card segment, but it's the largest volume segment.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DrDork posted:

That's the same "leak/rumor" from before. If such a card does ever exist, it won't be for a good while.

Yeah this is old and also most likely not accurate as it had the 3080's listed with GDDR6 ram instead of GDDR6X. Those entries have since been removed.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Still lolin' at 'people who don't have / want to drop $900 on a GPU + monitor are worthless plebs'. Y'all are worse than reddit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the way i see it is enthusiasts that don't want to spend more on their gpu than they would on a console (and preferably even less)

and i'd count myself among them

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I mean the XSS just got leaked at $299 - that’s going to be a killer 1080p box

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

the way i see it is enthusiasts that don't want to spend more on their gpu than they would on a console (and preferably even less)

and i'd count myself among them

I have no interest in owning a console so it's a rather moot point to me. I'm more concerned about lovely console ports making it to PC than I am about anything else. There is a certain price point I feel uncomfortable going to, but whatever they are charging for consoles doesn't play into it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A console is just fine as far as being something you can game on without having to futz around with hardware requirements, but I can't alt-tab out of the console to post.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

A console is just fine as far as being something you can game on without having to futz around with hardware requirements, but I can't alt-tab out of the console to post.
That sounds like a good feature

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

gradenko_2000 posted:

A console has it's advantages when playing on a TV, namely it's entire UX being designed around a controller.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Looking forward to the SX800 power supply I just ordered for my DA2 to help confirm my impossible dream of an 280mm AIO and a 3080 with a 9900k. 75C idle at desktop here we goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Incessant Excess posted:

A console has it's advantages when playing on a TV, namely it's entire UX being designed around a controller.

And none of those things appeal to me, hence my disinterest in consoles.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
As much as I love PC and wish everything were on it, I have to admit that the majority of my favorite games from the last few years were on console and many of those titles are still exclusive to this day.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

https://twitter.com/IonianBaker/status/1302768595017953282

I'm glad a WiiU emulator made it possible to play breath of the wild at 1440 60FPS on my PC.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

AirRaid posted:

There's a whole thread for this, but Ultrawide isn't universally supported and breaks a lot of games. I wouldn't really recommend one for a gaming setup, even if a select few games do benefit from it.

Parallelwoody posted:

Uhh my ultrawide at 3440 slaps and is supported plenty, or at worst has some black bars down the sides you don't really notice. I love it for both gaming and productivity.

I'm with Parallelwoody on this one. I have an ultrawide in an unusual resolution (3840×1600) and it's been supported in nearly every modern title I've played on it. The only negative surprise I've seen is Witcher 3 has black bars on the sides during in-engine cutscenes (not during normal gameplay). The bars are fine, and rare.

I've even gotten ancient games working on it. Just today I was playing some Hexen 2 at native resolution using FCE, a fan made engine for Quake and Quake engine titles. I even got to pay a visit to widescreengamingforum to find the patch, just like the good ol' days.

I will never go back to a non-ultrawide. This monitor pleases me just like when I shifted from 4:3 to my first widescreen in 2005.

I use the same monitor for working from home. Having three windows open side by side is great too.

My only concern is that it needs a lot of horsepower, especially since it's 144Hz. Between getting 144 FPS on this thing and VR, I'm getting a 3090.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

DrDork posted:

60Hz isn't really arbitrary, though, as it's the max most 1080p screens can use. I know plenty of people who would like a <$300 upgrade that would let them get the most out of their current setup (including screen), because they're aware that the cost to jump to 1440p or >60hz is more than they're willing to invest.

I'm in the demo of "not enough cash to go high rez or high refresh rate monitor" and this is BS, people just turn off v-sync because v-sync especially in fps games feels like total dogshit. Yes screen-tearing, I don't care about it at all, games just feel snappier when they run at high fps even if the monitor cannot display it properly.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

TheCoach posted:

I'm in the demo of "not enough cash to go high rez or high refresh rate monitor" and this is BS, people just turn off v-sync because v-sync especially in fps games feels like total dogshit. Yes screen-tearing, I don't care about it at all, games just feel snappier when they run at high fps even if the monitor cannot display it properly.

It might not seem like it's that big of a deal but when G-SYNC or FreeSync work properly it's incredible

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Totally. I slept on GSync for a long time and figured it probably wasn't a huge deal. That was really, really stupid of me, because it's basically revolutionary as far as I'm concerned.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

TheCoach posted:

While the extra fps helps a small bit, getting rid of vsync input lag is why games feel better without it

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rexxed posted:

https://twitter.com/IonianBaker/status/1302768595017953282

I'm glad a WiiU emulator made it possible to play breath of the wild at 1440 60FPS on my PC.

I did tell someone the other day that they could buy a 3090, or they could buy a 3080 and eat ice cream while they're gaming every day for 4 years until they are ready to upgrade and they'd come out ahead and be happier.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Alchenar posted:

I did tell someone the other day that they could buy a 3090, or they could buy a 3080 and eat ice cream while they're gaming every day for 4 years until they are ready to upgrade and they'd come out ahead and be happier.

How much ice cream?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

greasyhands posted:

How much ice cream?

Also what brand.

Edit still shocked my Amazon order is still pending lol.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

greasyhands posted:

How much ice cream?

MarcusSA posted:

Also what brand.

Edit still shocked my Amazon order is still pending lol.

I'm calculating assuming you're getting lovely US ice cream idk what your real options are but at a $800 price difference you can spend $200 per year on ice cream, which means if you buy some value strawberry ice cream will get you 2000 pounds of ice cream a year, which is 5.5 pounds a day, or 2.5kg if you live in a country that uses a real measurement system.

I don't know how much the diabetes will set you back in a third world country that doesn't have universal healthcare.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I'm calculating assuming you're getting lovely US ice cream idk what your real options are but at a $800 price difference you can spend $200 per year on ice cream, which means if you buy some value strawberry ice cream will get you 2000 pounds of ice cream a year, which is 5.5 pounds a day, or 2.5kg if you live in a country that uses a real measurement system.

I don't know how much the diabetes will set you back in a third world country that doesn't have universal healthcare.

I appreciate the effort you went into with this and I am now going to calculate dollars / pounds saved by the amount of ice cream I could consume.

I could probably splurge on some Thrifty Ice Cream even.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Ice cream and powercolor GPUs both melt, same thing as far as Im concerned

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Alchenar posted:

To convert this for the UK, you could get a 3080 and have enough money to buy a 1L tub of Carte D'Or of your choice from Tesco (£3.50 per tub) for four years, and have £72 change.

Or you could get Two 2L tubs of Tesco's own per week, and every other week buy a Vienetta, and have £4.40 change at the end of four years.

Other supermarkets are available.

Yes I should be working.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

AirRaid posted:

Vienetta

haven't had that since i was a kid - good poo poo

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Do NOT sleep on this poo poo https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/sainsburys-vanilla-soft-scoop-ice-cream-2l

2 litres, £1.80 a tub, and actually good poo poo

Was my go-to for years during bulking periods

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

shrike82 posted:

haven't had that since i was a kid - good poo poo

When I was young Vienetta was the epitome of "Fancy" dessert. Never quite lived up to the hype, but they are good.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Do NOT sleep on this poo poo https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/sainsburys-vanilla-soft-scoop-ice-cream-2l

:agreed: I have a tub of this in my freezer right now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Well I know what I’m getting when I’m in London in a few weeks!

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Shipon posted:

The 3080 is real tempting but I have to say it's ridiculous for me to want to buy a card 3 years later that has less VRAM than the one I have now (10 vs 11). Almost want to go for the 3090 just to avoid that entirely since I noticed Flight Sim is really creeping up at the limits of my 1080ti's VRAM

FS2020 is not using anywhere near 11GB VRAM. If you open the developer overlay for the game, or use the Special K GPU widget, you'll see the real VRAM usage, not what software like afterburner can show you, which is simply allocated memory.

Games allocate or cache if you like. If you're purely going by something like afterburner, you've no idea how much VRAM is actually used nor how much is needed to run the game well.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Ok?

The guy was talking about 1 or 2 games supporting DLSS. Not sure what it being a ps4 game has to do with that.

I was replying to you, saying Cyberpunk 2077 is coming out this year, as if that justifies a $800 GPU.

Get some reading comprehension before you try being snarky ;)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Riflen posted:

FS2020 is not using anywhere near 11GB VRAM. If you open the developer overlay for the game, or use the Special K GPU widget, you'll see the real VRAM usage, not what software like afterburner can show you, which is simply allocated memory.

Games allocate or cache if you like. If you're purely going by something like afterburner, you've no idea how much VRAM is actually used nor how much is needed to run the game well.

I used the in game FPS profiler and it only shows about 9 GB accessible to the game, and I've definitely had moments where I saw 8 GB in use. Maybe that's not an accurate representation of the situation?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1303253670633467904?s=20

lol what's up with all the rumors of Ti SKUs at various tiers

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

We had a huge range of SKUs leaked ages ago tho right? With the 20 GB 3080s and the whatnots.

e: with sources

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-might-also-launch-geforce-rtx-ampere-graphics-card-with-20gb-of-memory

There was a larger rumoured list of chip variants and memory configs but i can't find it now.

2nd edit: This poll did not age well

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 8, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

My guess is that they all exist, but the official launch itself just wanted to keep things simple and focused on the three mainstays. There's obviously a lot of room for ti cards across the range. I think if they tried to show off everything at once it would have been disorienting and hard to keep up with. I reckon when the 3070 and 3080 launches properly they will start talking officially about filling the rest of the gaps. That's my take on the subject anyway.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

DrDork posted:

While you're right on everything here, the hilarious part is that, due to the bike shortage nation-wide, if AMD actually can deliver those bikes for $300 without resorting to a month+ order list, they'll actually be pretty good bikes for the price. Which I suppose is also kinda on-point for Radeon: re-hashed old tech that somehow is still an ok deal.

Not that they're good bikes, but more that everything that's actual quality is being sold for stupid amounts. People in my area have been selling two year old used $500 bikes for $700+ and getting multiple people asking about them. It's nuts.

I bike 5 figures of miles a year on the road, everybody i talk to says there are no bikes left to buy, yet i am fairly consistently the only person i see on the roads outside of the 6-pack leathery old men riding unicycles with fat tires in 110 degree weather because they can

E:vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv I'm in the USA so I assume most of the bikes were purchases on speculation and are now collecting dust in a different persons garage

Worf fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 8, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

In the UK the lockdown is the number 1 reason behind bicycle sales, as soon as people were told that they could be exempted from it by doing an hour of exercise outside daily, you saw cyclists everywhere. Even people who would normally never cycle decided to go. It was kinda nice actually. I think there'll be a permanent uptick in cyclists because of it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Should that say Sept 17 for the 3080, or did something move?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It's not launch but "comments" which refers to the review embargo in this case I think.