Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, in-universe you've got Federation Day

Federation Day is a poker variant with too many wild cards. :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
First Contact Day is a good holiday time and a good holiday name. Why try to force September 8th?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Epinephrine posted:

First Contact Day is a good holiday time and a good holiday name. Why try to force September 8th?

this all sounds like a ds9 episode plot

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Epinephrine posted:

Why not have both and milk two calendar days out of your franchise?

Also, I don't know if TV seasons starting in Fall applies to streaming content generally, but I'd wager it has something to do with that too. Discovery Season 3 comes out in October.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The rest of the metric system has the excuse of simpler unit conversions (although most people using metric don't seem to actually bother with unit conversions), but Celsius doesn't. There's not really much advantage to having a larger degree or pegging the scale to whatever the hell point, and anybody who tries to concoct some reason why actually that's way better is accidentally making arguments against the rest of the metric system which has smaller units and is more arbitrarily pegged to constants.

Nobody remembers the metric calendar either with 10 days in a week because it sucked rear end having to work more days straight until the weekend.

Ahem water boils at 100 and freezes at 0. It is more suited for more applications and less revolves around 'human body' or other crap. Kelvin would be good but it's a bit of a stretch to measure local scale temps with galactic scale units, so we are using the most scientific in this case - celsius.
Metric calendar does not correlate with universe or even our solar system. Meh.

Epinephrine posted:

Because they are tryhards who can't produce a good show? (except for LDS, which is their mistake)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

i was just thinking, as i re-watch s1 and s2, that i will continue to recommend they not be skipped.

there is definitely a lot of dud episodes but they also develop the characters a lot in those two seasons imo

E: i just intentionally watched Pen Pals again, it isnt as bad as i remember
e2: the royale was pretty much as bad as i remember.

There's no way in hell I'm watching every episode of those seasons and I'm too lazy to skip around.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Epinephrine posted:

Probably because it's in the third quarter. :v:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Ahem water boils at 100 and freezes at 0

Use the triple point of water if you want something scientific, not some arbitrary dumb pressure

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Use the triple point of water if you want something scientific, not some arbitrary dumb pressure

And what's so special about water as compared to any other substance in the universe? :viggo:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'll respect metric when you fully commit, but I'm not going to hold my breath for the next several gigaseconds.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nessus posted:

Probably because it's in the third quarter. :v:

Ah, the magic of cinema.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Next up on goon's favourite derailments: Chili. Beans or no beans?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Chili without beans is just greasy meat soup. This is a nuclear take here in Texas, but they’re all cracker-rear end morons who haven’t embraced the bean.

Embrace The Bean, you cowards.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I looked it up, and I guess a writers strike really messed it up, but even still the TNG Season 1 Finale is really something. These 3 90s people unfrozen just kind of don't go anywhere, and the...main(?) plot is just setting up 1 minute of reintroducing Romulans and setting up the Borg.

The country singer guy gets Data to get a party going, but that doesn't happen then at the end he acts like they are friends. He also tries to get drugs from Doc...but again, that goes nowhere. The Finance guy yells a ton at Picard...then Picard is like "settle down" and that's the end of that.

Also, anyone able to just take the turbo lifts to the bridge is great. Sure it's the future and all of Starfleet know their place...but you just let random people you pick up from a space fridge run around giving the computer commands?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

quote:

While writing this first season finale, Maurice Hurley intended for it to be the first part of a trilogy that would continue in the second season, in which the Borg would be formally introduced and an alliance would be formed between the Federation and the Romulan Empire to counter the new threat. (Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion)

Imagine opening TNG Season 2 with that instead of with the episode where Deanna Troi gets to give birth to an energy being child

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They sorta managed to do a similar plot with the Dominion War, but by then the Romulans had been totally sidelined in the overall political scheme of the galaxy.

And much like those 3 90s people, the Romulans came out of the past after having their status quo frozen for decades and just kinda don't go anywhere. For the entire franchise. Until they all die.

Ahem water boils at 100 and freezes at 0. It is more suited for more applications and less revolves around 'human body' or other crap. Kelvin would be good but it's a bit of a stretch to measure local scale temps with galactic scale units, so we are using the most scientific in this case - celsius.

The theoretical ability of being slightly more able to memorize those two temperatures has basically no utility.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

And what's so special about water as compared to any other substance in the universe? :viggo:

you're right we should set 0 to actually be 0

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

The theoretical ability of being slightly more able to memorize those two temperatures has basically no utility.
It's almost like all measurement systems are arbitrary, but some systems are easier to use, more consistent, and based around things like, say, water (1 cubic centimetre being 1 millilitre of water).
Federation uses metric, like the entire world outside of the US. You are on the side of Neelix and his cookbook.

Athanatos posted:

Also, anyone able to just take the turbo lifts to the bridge is great. Sure it's the future and all of Starfleet know their place...but you just let random people you pick up from a space fridge run around giving the computer commands?
I guess in an emergency it would be helpful if anyone was able to board your ship to assist.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Athanatos posted:

I looked it up, and I guess a writers strike really messed it up, but even still the TNG Season 1 Finale is really something. These 3 90s people unfrozen just kind of don't go anywhere, and the...main(?) plot is just setting up 1 minute of reintroducing Romulans and setting up the Borg.

They aren't even setting up the borg. All they knew at that point was they wanted to plant the seeds of a Big Bad which might have been the Romulans, might have been the body snatchers from Conspiracy, and finally became the Borg.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
0°C: literally freezing
10°C: need a coat or jumper
20°C: a t-shirt will be fine
30°C: drat, it's hot
40°C: holy poo poo, it's too hot
50°C: you're about to die
100°C: kettle's boiled!

Simple.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Athanatos posted:

These are the same people who build ships with gigantic pits that people aren't supposed to go into, yet still have gravity. No guardrails or forcefields for safety, with high stacked cargo. Absolutely no kind of authorization required to enter the shuttle bay, a shuttle, or to have it take off (a simple "someone has launched a shuttle" notice on the bridge is all you get). Nothing stopping a random schmo from replicating a gun in their guest quarters. Every object explodes at all times, yet the uniforms aren't flame retardant, and no safety gear is required to operate anything. The person with tactical information, defensive functions, and weapons capability isn't even granted a drat chair when their job is the most important during things that cause the ship to rock violently back and forth. gently caress, not even some kind of biometric scan required for any kind of captain-only command such as self destruct, which can kill hundreds, even thousands of people, you could initiate it with a sufficient sentence mix of the captain's voice.

The Federation ain't big on things like "safety"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I still love Worf broke his spine on a dam OSHA violation, like they couldn't come up some future nonsense.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Payndz posted:

Simple.

NO!

0F lowest temperature in one exact winter in one exact german village
4F some arbitrary composite element changes state, this was the '0F' before
32F water froze
48F you need a coat
69F you only need a t-shirt, haha nice
72-74F ac warzone
96.8F human body temperature
100F hot, wow a round number
124F you're about to die
212F water is finally boiling

totally better, even trains your memory by making memorize all this bullshit!

SlothfulCobra posted:

You are gradually hosed on a scale from 0 to 100, exhibit a:

Payndz posted:

Simple.

but in Funny units you are gradually hosed on scale from 32 to 212
with ~100 being okay, 110 being okay but hot and 120 being really hot but depending on humidity might be okay

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 8, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

what was the arbitrary composite element tho

E: 100f is garbage tier with any humidity at all and not great even without lmao

go ahead and move around outside in 100f

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Imagine wanting to be outside in temps above 80F on the east coast.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Statutory Ape posted:

what was the arbitrary composite element tho

E: 100f is garbage tier with any humidity at all and not great even without lmao

go ahead and move around outside in 100f

Mix of ice, water and ammonium chloride :stare:

Also having lived more than half of my life on east coast of spain I can say that biking in ~35-40C was okay as long as you had enough water. Usual humidity was around 60%. With higher humidities it's worse for sure.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mix of ice, water and ammonium chloride :stare:

I'm making that poo poo at least once a week so it's perfect for me. (On a cleanse)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you're that enraged by the extra significant figures, nobody's making you use them. It's a smaller interval than 10 celsius defrees anyways.

But the point still stands that if you're infuriated by the concept of remembering two digits instead of 1, you can't also say that you enjoy talking about height in centimeters.

curiousTerminal posted:

These are the same people who build ships with gigantic pits that people aren't supposed to go into, yet still have gravity.

I don't think you can just turn gravity off and on in small areas. I wonder what it's like at the bottom of the ship where they have all the artificial gravity pushing.

socialsecurity posted:

I still love Worf broke his spine on a dam OSHA violation, like they couldn't come up some future nonsense.

How about the fact that Klingons are like racehorses that get put down at any major injury because they don't have doctors? I bet Klingon ships don't even have crate stacks for fear of the consequences.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

How about the fact that Klingons are like racehorses that get put down at any major injury because they don't have doctors? I bet Klingon ships don't even have crate stacks for fear of the consequences.

They try to keep their injuries limited to goring and lacerations. Accordingly most of their cargo is live targs screaming around the hold in micrograv

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

SlothfulCobra posted:

you can't also say that you enjoy talking about height in centimeters.

That's the point, you dont need to count 2749 units in 1 another unit to make centimeters into meters, its literally adding a comma or a zero. 187 cantimeters is 1,87 meters or 1870 millimeters

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think you can just turn gravity off and on in small areas. I wonder what it's like at the bottom of the ship where they have all the artificial gravity pushing.

Klingons have doctors, also gravity is totally locally adjustable per room, corridor or holodeck.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

if i was designing a prison, i'd put it in a holodeck and have the programmer make it a prison break simulation

thatll keep em busy for eons

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Happy Star Trek Day I guess? Leave it to CBS to declare something like this a week beforehand

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

totally better, even trains your memory by making memorize all this bullshit!

96.8F human body temperature

:thunk:

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Enough temperature units.

Blue - Cold
Yellow - Nice
Red - gently caress me, it's hot

White - uh... is that freezing snow or centre of the sun hot? Dammit...

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Remember when the Celsius derail in the Orville thread made someone so mad they bought multiple people dumb avatars?

Good times.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Dog_Meat posted:

Blue - Cold
Yellow - Nice

Purple - Rain

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Dog_Meat posted:

Blue - Cold
Yellow - Nice

Brawnfire posted:

Purple - Rain

You two guys are genius ngl

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Strong Convections posted:

It's almost like all measurement systems are arbitrary, but some systems are easier to use, more consistent, and based around things like, say, water (1 cubic centimetre being 1 millilitre of water).
Federation uses metric, like the entire world outside of the US. You are on the side of Neelix and his cookbook.

I guess in an emergency it would be helpful if anyone was able to board your ship to assist.

Actual naval vessels generally tend towards guards over locks, but then also there are lots of crewmen everywhere who can give you unhappy looks if you try to go somewhere you shouldn't be, rather than the Feddie thing where every hall is empty and nobody's ever in the shuttle bay unless there's a shuttle taking off right at that moment.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I forget, did they ever explain the weird front window on the Delta Flyer? It wouldn't look out of place on a Gothic church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

I forget, did they ever explain the weird front window on the Delta Flyer? It wouldn't look out of place on a Gothic church.

Must be the bOrG tEcHnOlOgY somehow, everyone knows that bOrG makes for... art nouveau glass?